Being in a Relationship With Someone of A Different Religion

justanotherhater

Re: Being in a Relationship With Someone of A Different Reli

Post by justanotherhater »

Wonderland ♥ wrote:I remember that my Spanish teacher told us a story about her sister in law.
She is a Christian and her husband is a Muslim.
They eventually got divorced because of the huge differences in religion and their lifestyles. She told us that when they were going to go to Rincon (I believe), he stopped the car in the middle of the highway to pray. When she visited his family, they'd eat from the same bowls and with their hands and such.
But that's a little overboard anyways, and I can see why she divorced him. :?
Your teacher seems a bit ignorant. I'm not Muslim but I grew up around them. Eating with your hands from the same plate is actually a cultural difference rather than a religious one. It's traditional to have a big feast with a big serving plate where people eat together using their hands It's usually done during family dinners. In your culture, that seems "overboard" but to them, that's the norm so it has nothing to do with religious beliefs. As for prayers, there are set times in the day where a Muslim is supposed to pray (5 times) in which they have perform certain gestures/actions and speak prayers/religious text. Obviously both of them come from different backgrounds and will differ in cultural norms and beliefs. I'm Agnostic but I'm dating a Muslim (but he's not religious by any means) and we tend to disagree on some things. I still respect the cultural differences. Just because in my culture, I would do something differently, doesn't mean the way he's doing things is "overboard" and wrong. In fact, I'm quite fascinated by our differences and I love learning more about his culture.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by TaylorKnows »

Even as a Christian, I could never date someone who was very serious about religion, because I'm not. I pray when I want and I'm a believer but I don't attend church and I don't bash other religions or lack there of. I could probably never date a Jehovah given how dedicated you have to be. My uncle is married to a very dedicated Jehovah and he doesn't go to the church and therefore, him and his wife do not have a lot of the same friends and they clash a lot. Maybe a Catholic if we weren't forced to go to church every week. I would be accepting into the Jewish community or even the Buddhists because I am very interested in studying it. As for dating an atheist, I probably could as long as they'd be okay with in the future us telling our children both sides and letting them choose. But I could never date someone where religion is a huge part of their life and they follow everything by the rules. I find it better to be moral than to worry about what the bible/Torah/whatever says.

loveanddestroyxo
Informer
Informer

Post by loveanddestroyxo »

^^ Yes, they tend to only associate with other Jehovah's Witnesses and don't want their children around any one else. They worry way too much about what their spiritual brothers and sisters think of them and they're so damn judgmental! My boyfriend's father has openly made comments about how he disapproves of my father drinking every once in a while... in a "I'm being rude but hopefully you won't notice" way, of course.
I can't explain the anger I felt for him to judge a man he does not know.

I love my boyfriend and I get along with his family (now) but some of their comments and ways of thinking/acting make me thankful my boyfriend isn't as dedicated as they are...
:|

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

TaylorKnows wrote: As for dating an atheist, I probably could as long as they'd be okay with in the future us telling our children both sides and letting them choose.

^This 1,000 times over. I want to educate my children on the fact that there are many MANY religions out there and encourage them to research them if they're interested in them. It doesn't matter what religion you are--if you are forcing it down your child's throat, it's wrong.

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

JustAnotherHater wrote:
Wonderland ♥ wrote:I remember that my Spanish teacher told us a story about her sister in law.
She is a Christian and her husband is a Muslim.
They eventually got divorced because of the huge differences in religion and their lifestyles. She told us that when they were going to go to Rincon (I believe), he stopped the car in the middle of the highway to pray. When she visited his family, they'd eat from the same bowls and with their hands and such.
But that's a little overboard anyways, and I can see why she divorced him. :?
Your teacher seems a bit ignorant. I'm not Muslim but I grew up around them. Eating with your hands from the same plate is actually a cultural difference rather than a religious one. It's traditional to have a big feast with a big serving plate where people eat together using their hands It's usually done during family dinners. In your culture, that seems "overboard" but to them, that's the norm so it has nothing to do with religious beliefs. As for prayers, there are set times in the day where a Muslim is supposed to pray (5 times) in which they have perform certain gestures/actions and speak prayers/religious text. Obviously both of them come from different backgrounds and will differ in cultural norms and beliefs. I'm Agnostic but I'm dating a Muslim (but he's not religious by any means) and we tend to disagree on some things. I still respect the cultural differences. Just because in my culture, I would do something differently, doesn't mean the way he's doing things is "overboard" and wrong. In fact, I'm quite fascinated by our differences and I love learning more about his culture.
I think you're the first person on this board I've seen who also identifies as Agnostic.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

loveanddestroyxo wrote:^^ Yes, they tend to only associate with other Jehovah's Witnesses and don't want their children around any one else. They worry way too much about what their spiritual brothers and sisters think of them and they're so damn judgmental! My boyfriend's father has openly made comments about how he disapproves of my father drinking every once in a while... in a "I'm being rude but hopefully you won't notice" way, of course.
I can't explain the anger I felt for him to judge a man he does not know.

I love my boyfriend and I get along with his family (now) but some of their comments and ways of thinking/acting make me thankful my boyfriend isn't as dedicated as they are...
:|
My best friend from middle school is a Jehovah. She's such a nice girl, but we've never hung out outside of school because I'm not a Jehovah as well and her mom is super strict even though she knows me and likes me. They know my aunt and uncle through that church. I don't speak to that aunt much which is by her choosing, but when I was younger she was really kind to me despite our differences.

Also, even if I were to marry a Christian guy, I would never shove religion down my child's throat like it was to me. My father didn't grow up in a church. And one of his brothers started attending and it took him years to go. I was like 4 so I didn't have much of a choice. As I got older, I realized I love God, but I don't need to sit in a church for 2 hours to be close to Him so I wanted to stop going but I wasn't allowed to until he decided the church was falling a part. I don't want my kids to feel like they have to be a certain religion. I'll teach them about all of them and let them pick what they want. I want to raise them better than I was, not growing up not knowing much about the world and having to find things out on the internet. Which is why I want to pick a good partner to help me with that, but I've got some time lol.

loveanddestroyxo
Informer
Informer

Post by loveanddestroyxo »

^^ that's our plan, to not shove our beliefs down their throats. Let them know we are of different religions. Of course my concern is his parents respecting that and not wanting to shove their beliefs down my children's throats.
I guess time will tell lol.

I feel the same about not having to go every Sunday to love God. I love Him and He knows it. I don't need to prove it.

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

I am a Christian and my boyfriend is a Catholic. I'd (and he'd) say that he leans more toward Christian though because he disagrees with most (if not all) of the Catholic church's practices + the pope being seen as God himself to some. He's open to Christianity but I have trouble when I want to talk to him more about it to perhaps get him saved. The last thing I want is to be seen as shoving my religion down his throat because I know that's a HUGE turnoff but I really, really want him to get saved if we ever get married. I'm not a hardcore Christian but I do love my religion and Jesus as it's very real to me and helped me throughout horrible times of my life. I'm no perfect Christian, that's for sure, but I do want him to become a Christian as to not be unequally yolked when we marry. I want our kids to be able to grow up with one religion and not have to be pulled from side to side, too.

When the time comes I'll sit down and talk to him more about it but for now when he comes down he watches a pastor I watch on TV instead of going to church (all churches in my area are just... bad). My mom talks to him about certain things as well sometimes and he always seems very open. I just hope that someday before we marry he decides on his own that he wants to be saved.

thelovelywar
Informer
Informer

Post by thelovelywar »

I really don't believe in anything, I think there is something out there but right now I don't know what. I would date someone who was raised Christian or any other religion. I just don't think I could be with someone who would go and 'preach' about god to people by going to their house. Mormon or Jehovah are a few that come to mind, but religion to me is something that people have to want on their own time not someone coming and 'selling' their religion. I was raised a Baptist though.
Image Image

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

As an atheist I could never date someone who participates in organized religion. Basic theism, agnosticism, and more non-theistic "religions" like Buddhism would be fine.
Bunny wrote:I am a Christian and my boyfriend is a Catholic. I'd (and he'd) say that he leans more toward Christian though because he disagrees with most (if not all) of the Catholic church's practices + the pope being seen as God himself to some. He's open to Christianity but I have trouble when I want to talk to him more about it to perhaps get him saved. The last thing I want is to be seen as shoving my religion down his throat because I know that's a HUGE turnoff but I really, really want him to get saved if we ever get married. I'm not a hardcore Christian but I do love my religion and Jesus as it's very real to me and helped me throughout horrible times of my life. I'm no perfect Christian, that's for sure, but I do want him to become a Christian as to not be unequally yolked when we marry. I want our kids to be able to grow up with one religion and not have to be pulled from side to side, too.

When the time comes I'll sit down and talk to him more about it but for now when he comes down he watches a pastor I watch on TV instead of going to church (all churches in my area are just... bad). My mom talks to him about certain things as well sometimes and he always seems very open. I just hope that someday before we marry he decides on his own that he wants to be saved.
Catholics are Christian.. Catholicism is a denomination, like Baptist or Lutheran...

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

Sonia wrote:As an atheist I could never date someone who participates in organized religion. Basic theism, agnosticism, and more non-theistic "religions" like Buddhism would be fine.
Bunny wrote:I am a Christian and my boyfriend is a Catholic. I'd (and he'd) say that he leans more toward Christian though because he disagrees with most (if not all) of the Catholic church's practices + the pope being seen as God himself to some. He's open to Christianity but I have trouble when I want to talk to him more about it to perhaps get him saved. The last thing I want is to be seen as shoving my religion down his throat because I know that's a HUGE turnoff but I really, really want him to get saved if we ever get married. I'm not a hardcore Christian but I do love my religion and Jesus as it's very real to me and helped me throughout horrible times of my life. I'm no perfect Christian, that's for sure, but I do want him to become a Christian as to not be unequally yolked when we marry. I want our kids to be able to grow up with one religion and not have to be pulled from side to side, too.

Catholics are Christian.. Catholicism is a denomination, like Baptist or Lutheran...
Yea, I was about to say the same thing.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Even though they're the same thing, they do have differences, so I think that's what she meant by that. I'm a nonpracticing Christian but even when I was in church, I didn't even know what kind of church it was.

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

TaylorKnows wrote:Even though they're the same thing, they do have differences, so I think that's what she meant by that. I'm a nonpracticing Christian but even when I was in church, I didn't even know what kind of church it was.
I think what Sonia meant was that Catholic is a type of Christianity. Like Christianity is an umbrella with all kinds of denominations under it, Catholic being one of them.

Do you not identify with a denomination or identify just as a blanket Christian? I don't mean it to be rude, just curious!

Because there are so many differences between the denominations, it's strange to me to be down with all of them, if that makes sense? Please feel free to slap me if that's rude, I feel like it might be without me intending it as such. :oops:

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Ireth0 wrote:
TaylorKnows wrote:Even though they're the same thing, they do have differences, so I think that's what she meant by that. I'm a nonpracticing Christian but even when I was in church, I didn't even know what kind of church it was.
I think what Sonia meant was that Catholic is a type of Christianity. Like Christianity is an umbrella with all kinds of denominations under it, Catholic being one of them.

Do you not identify with a denomination or identify just as a blanket Christian? I don't mean it to be rude, just curious!

Because there are so many differences between the denominations, it's strange to me to be down with all of them, if that makes sense? Please feel free to slap me if that's rude, I feel like it might be without me intending it as such. :oops:
My church was never denominational. Like we never said we were such and such. We were just overall Christians that believed in God and they preached the bible, no going around it. So that's why I say Christian and not Baptist or Lutheran. It's not rude, I get this quite often lol. I got confused myself as I got older so I asked someone in my church and that's what they told me. I don't think there really should be a difference but then again, Catholics have communions and confirmations while Christians (at least the ones I know) get dedicated as an infant (meaning their parents and godparents promise to raise them knowing God and the godparents promise if something happens to the parents, they'll take the child in) and baptisms which can be at any time but it's when YOU make the choice to make a commitment to loving God. I was 9 when I was baptized but my parents were in their 30s. I'd prefer that because I wouldn't want to have to make a commitment at the age of 7 and then be guilted into doing it at 15. I was christened as a baby in a Catholic church because my mom's parents insisted but I think it canceled out (if that's possible) when I was baptized by my Christian pastor. But in the end, I don't think it matters. I love God, I have a great relationship with Him. So I try not to relate myself to just one part lol.

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

TaylorKnows wrote:
Ireth0 wrote:

My church was never denominational. Like we never said we were such and such. We were just overall Christians that believed in God and they preached the bible, no going around it. So that's why I say Christian and not Baptist or Lutheran. It's not rude, I get this quite often lol. I got confused myself as I got older so I asked someone in my church and that's what they told me. I don't think there really should be a difference but then again, Catholics have communions and confirmations while Christians (at least the ones I know) get dedicated as an infant (meaning their parents and godparents promise to raise them knowing God and the godparents promise if something happens to the parents, they'll take the child in) and baptisms which can be at any time but it's when YOU make the choice to make a commitment to loving God. I was 9 when I was baptized but my parents were in their 30s. I'd prefer that because I wouldn't want to have to make a commitment at the age of 7 and then be guilted into doing it at 15. I was christened as a baby in a Catholic church because my mom's parents insisted but I think it canceled out (if that's possible) when I was baptized by my Christian pastor. But in the end, I don't think it matters. I love God, I have a great relationship with Him. So I try not to relate myself to just one part lol.
Very interesting! Thank you for explaining! I have a friend who's family is United and went to church with them once. I was raised Catholic (though now am Agnostic) so it was neat for me when they distributed the 'bread' for everyone to take at once, rather than lining up to get it from the Priest/helper. The philosophy was (I was told) that they believed nobody should be given the priveledge to consume the body before someone else, so they all did it together at the same time to show their equality. I thought it was neat!

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

What TaylorKnows said is what I meant. Catholics do confession, baptize infants, do the wafer eating thing where they're "eating" Jesus/God (sorry, forgot what it's called), pray to Mary and believe that she was holy in every way, pray to saints, etc. There's a ton of differences, and how they're different is what I meant. I don't believe in any of the above.

I'm non-denominational. I know that Catholics also call themselves Christians but I was just using the blanket terms, really. All the subdivisions of such confuse me, lol. But yeah, TaylorKnows said my thoughts perfectly.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

At my church we did communion once a month and we all took it. It was also passed out and not real wine (grape juice). But glad I covered it Bunny. :)

Ireth0
Informer
Informer

Post by Ireth0 »

We had real wine, but I knew other churches who had both wine and juice for the under age folks, or people who just didn't want to have actual wine.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

I am a non practising hindu married to a religious Baptist. He is not the kind that goes to church every Sunday, but he believes in the bible. It irks me that he never questioned his beliefs. He says he did but I know he didn't. I know it will be complicated when we have children. He says our child will go to bible school and I absolutely dread the idea of bible school. I think there is no place for religion in a child's life. They don't have the discerning ability to be able to make such a big decision. I cannot stand going to church and witnessing the brain washing that goes on there. I have been to 3 and they were all the same. Man! The pastors love to bash Islam. What a lame strategy to promote your religion. The Christian god must be better than that.

Bunny

Post by Bunny »

catcherintherye wrote:I think there is no place for religion in a child's life. They don't have the discerning ability to be able to make such a big decision.
I think it's fine to have something that kids can grow up with as a guide and based off that, when they're older they can decide whether or not they want to stick with it. My brother and I both grew up in Christian churches and I stuck with it while it looks like he's pushing it away.
I cannot stand going to church and witnessing the brain washing that goes on there. I have been to 3 and they were all the same. Man! The pastors love to bash Islam. What a lame strategy to promote your religion. The Christian god must be better than that.
A lot of churches nowadays are just megachurches that beg for tithing which pisses me off, mainly the reason why I don't go to church anymore and just watch a pastor from another state that's really good on TV. Church shouldn't just be about ~loving others~ and that's all there is to it, it should be about conviction, imo. Pastors will bash Islam because in their qu'ran (sorry if I spelt it wrong - in a rush) it does say to turn against Christians/people who don't believe in Islam or something along those lines. I don't know specific quotes off the top of my head but I've researched it before. Regardless, don't let pastors ruin your image of what Christianity is - there's a ton of shitty pastors and people who make us look like horrible people (westboro baptist is a prime example).

But this isn't a religion thread so I'll stop here.

Return to “Religion”