Your thoughts on religion? (Christianity etc.)

hellyeah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Your thoughts on religion? (Christianity etc.)

Post by hellyeah »

Shameless wrote:Seeing as the mods are cracking the shits in the Shaytards thread, I thought I'd start a thread over here. Let's try to be at least a little considerate towards each other. I am talking about mainly the Christian types but others can be discussed as well.

My thoughts on religion:

I was raised without any type of religion whatsoever, but I knew what it was as we were taught a little bit in school. Mainly I just ignored it and never really thought about it. Didn't believe it, thought god was fake like the Easter Bunny.

Now that I am older and am able to understand it more, I still don't believe it. I think for the most part it is quite negative and has a negative effect on people as it dictates your life in a way that I personally believe to be unnecessary. In the town I grew up in, the few people who were raised in somewhat religious households grew up to be just as, if not more idiotic (drug users, teen pregnancy, etc.) than the rest of the population.

I think many of the messages that the bible teaches can be beneficial such as "Do unto others as you would have them do to you" and similar ones. I also like the concept of marriage.

I suppose the main reason I dislike religion is because it is very contradicting and most religious people like to "pick and choose" which I suppose is fine but then what's the point of having a religion if you're only going to follow half of it? The Shaytards are a prime example of this, they go along with the modest clothing thing and yet other aspects of their lives are very un-modest such as Shay's constant innuendo jokes and the fact that they film themselves and put it on the internet.

Anyways, your thoughts?
I'm unsure of what country you live in. But does the place you reside also NOT give you a set of rules, laws, and guidelines to follow? Do those rules, laws, and guidelines also not "dictate" your life as you put it? Just something for you to consider. Some people think murdering is okay. But the law is there to attempt to protect you. Some people think raping is ok. But the law is there to attempt to protect you. Without the rules, laws, and guidelines humanity would be much more corrupt than it already is. I am a religious person. Do I follow all rules set forth by the religion I was baptized into and that i consider myself to be? No. Why? I am a sinner. Every day. Through and through. People that are religious still struggle with the same issues any other human struggles with. Religion doesn't protect one from the ways of the world. It does not ensure us Christians will be born perfect, live perfect, or die perfect. But it gives us another self of guidelines by which we believe will enhance our life. I've believed in God for as long as I can remember. I can not fathom not believing in Him. Religion does not tie a person to never sin. The person always has the option and free will. God gave us all free will. The people you know that grew up in religious households were not guaranteed a life that would be sheltered from the world.

eleventhirty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by eleventhirty »

I'm not disclosing my religion.

I don't have a problem with any religion as long as it's not forced on me or my family, doesn't come knocking on my door, doesn't murder people or animals, doesn't treat women like property. I'm talking about modern religion not thousands of years ago.

I include atheism in the religion box now because too many atheists love to shove their beliefs down people's throats and be as obnoxious as possible while doing it. That's really not necessary or helpful.

I wish both sides would just calm down.

rainboa
Learner
Learner

Post by rainboa »

When people ask I just say I'm non-religious. It's not something I think or care about. I don't believe we have the capacity to know all the answers, and if we do, we surely don't ATM, therefore to me, it's quite pointless. I find a lot of the "rules" in organized religions just strange. That being said, I respect religious people and their right to think however they want.

INdifferent
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by INdifferent »

Well I don't know what type of Christian I am, I suppose more of an open minded free thinking individual sounds about right. I don't walk around with the bible under my arm, I don't try to convince non believers because I believe that trying to shove these things down peoples throats gets the opposite reaction of them, I love gay people and think it's wrong how they are believed to be sinners, when we all are sinners (btw God clearly tells us that no sin is bigger than another, so someone being gay doesn't make him a bigger sinner than someone that's told a white lie), I don't judge people on their religious beliefs for example if they're atheists etc. (oh the irony of that one :rofl: here I'm on a gossip site saying something like that but it's true in life) -- although I will absolutely stand my ground if you don't give me the same respect. I don't post a gazillion quotes on social media, it's more important that people can see God through the way I live instead of creating a "look" for others. These are all just my opinions of course.
Please bear with me, English is my second language

mommyoftwogirlsca
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by mommyoftwogirlsca »

I'm a Christian we go to church every week, and my husband is very in the church. He is the president of the youth ministry. I became a Christian when I married him, before that I wasn't practicing any religion. My mom is a Anglican Christian, but she didn't practice it. So we never went to church etc,

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

I was "raised" Catholic. Went to Catholic school k-12. Baptized, Communion, Conformation, you name it. But obviously I did most of that just to please the family.

But mid-way through high school, in religion class nonetheless I realized it wasn't for me.

Right now, I don't identify with a title for my religion. Such as atheist, agnostic, etc. I'm just too lazy to care and too lazy to argue with people about my beliefs or lack of.

I guess right now, I'm just into researching and reading about other religions. I just want to be educated because my World Religions class in high school was very skewed. (what a shock from a catholic school!)
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

AngelPrincess
Informer
Informer

Post by AngelPrincess »

I'm a Protestant born and raised and a while back I was challenged by my philosophy teacher on my religion. she asked me why do I believe in god? how do I know gods a man? how do I know there's a heaven how do I know there's a hell. I honestly couldn't answer most of the questions she asked me. She ended up telling the entire class that I'm a person that cannot think for myself, a person who was brainwashed and blinded. I got really upset (I was about to cry) grabbed my things and walked out. I think I ended up skipping like 5 classes because it was too late to drop out and I didn't want to deal with her. But it did make me think why am I believing in something I don't even know? I decided to do some research on my religion and other religions as well. I talked to people at my church and I talked to people who don't believe in God. In the end I decided to stay Protestant because its what makes me feel good. I choose to believe what I want to believe. I don't believe everything in the bible and I don't believe everything people tell me. I take in the positive and use it to better my life and leave out the negative. If you don't believe what I believe that's cool. Honestly I can care less about someone else's life and what they choose to do with themselves as long as it not hurting anybody its all good.

gizcorn
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gizcorn »

^ Your teacher sounds like a bitch. I hope you put in a complaint about that.

moonlightpixie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by moonlightpixie »

Atheist and Antitheist here.

Long story short, god(s) or spirtis don't exist,religions are stupid and a threat to humanity.
The world would be a better place without religions.
The end.
Yer Burnt moonlightpixie! NICE TRY THO

anghala
Lurker
Lurker

Post by anghala »

I was raised Catholic, but converted to Islam! Honestly religion (or lack of faith) is such a personal choice, if it's safe and makes you happy then go for it! Everything in moderation of course. I think no one should have to explain what we believe to anyone honestly, discussion is good but at the end of the day people should respect one another :HK:

moonlightpixie
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by moonlightpixie »

:rofl:
Yer Burnt moonlightpixie! NICE TRY THO

Return to “Religion”