Christmas traditions in different countries

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Christmas traditions in different countries

Post by tamithomas »

Wow, packing my bags..totally wanna spend Christmas somewhere in Europe now! Nice change from the run down Nroth American Turkey dinner and presents. For us in N.A. it's Christmas tree and if you live in a house, the stockings go on the fireplace. Lets not forget the alcohol, lots and lots of alcohol on Christmas night lol.

JustGlow

Post by JustGlow »

ggeyeliner wrote:Hey, can some of you guys explain to me that stocking thing?
What is that? Like you guys have present under the tree/''santa'' brings them and there is also a stocking? What is the difference? Do you open stocking present also on christmas day? I'm so confused
In my family, when we were younger (I'm 20 now), Santa would actually come visit us on Dec 24th. Our (my brother and I) stockings have always been just like one small present, and mostly candy. My mother explains it like this: "Basically on the 25th you get Santa's leftovers, on his way home."
When we were younger santa would either come visit, or we'd have presents under the tree.

guestgue

Post by guestgue »

ggeyeliner wrote:Hey, can some of you guys explain to me that stocking thing?
What is that? Like you guys have present under the tree/''santa'' brings them and there is also a stocking? What is the difference? Do you open stocking present also on christmas day? I'm so confused

When we were little, Stockings got to be opened while mom and dad were still waking up for the day (preparing coffee and whatnot). They were typically filled with candy and very small inexpensive toys.
Now, we open stockings Christmas Eve (I'm the youngest in my family at 23). My parents fill one for everyone (both my husband and y sister's.) They still consist mostly of candy, but also little toiletries (deodorant, toothbrush, body wash, and a tube of mascara for y sister and I), and normally a package of socks.

So for my family it's always been the inexpensive stuff that isn't worth wrapping to be an actual present. It's never anything pricey. But just little "extras"

I fill my husbands stocking (at our home) with his favorite candy and a small wooden/metal puzzle every year)

My question about stockings: For those of you that hang them, do you reuse the same stocking every year, or do you get a new one? I feel like so many people purchase a new one every year and that just boggles my mind! I've had the same stocking (at my parent's) that I've had since the year I was born. But almost everyone I know gets a new one every year. What do you do with the old ones? Toss them?

dazzle
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by dazzle »

We hang those up the night before Saint Nicholas' Day and get smaller gifts and chocolate. St. Nicholas checks on you to make sure that you've been good and polite, and if you weren't, you'll get a tree branch from Knecht Ruprecht so your parents can beat you with it if you're naughty.
I'd rather drink a cup of acid after chewing on a razor blade.

JustGlow

Post by JustGlow »

I've had a few different stockings. Mostly because they wore out, and got lost when we moved. I definitely don't believe in getting a new one every year. That would be such a waste of money/bad for the environment. I mean, they aren't expensive or anything, but still.. You could spend those money on something else.
We don't really hang our stockings anywhere special. We usually hang them on the outside of our door.

tamithomas
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by tamithomas »

Found this article and pretty fitting for this thread. Very interesting read:

http://www.firstfoundation.ca/blog/the- ... the-world/

ggeyeliner
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by ggeyeliner »

Is there some place where are some snow? In my country there always been rich with snow. Everything is white already in october, but in this year... Nothing. Week ago there were some snow but now... Nothing. :(
I always had white christmas... I hope snow is still coming.
ENGLISH ISN'T MY FIRST LANGUAGE. Sorry for misunderstandings!

People should read everything, not the first 5 words and judge!

Return to “Christmas”