pewdiepie

Locked
User avatar
DaretoDream1225
Learner
Learner
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:35 am
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 26 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by DaretoDream1225 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:40 pm

:roll:

Some people just never learn.

User avatar
Teacup30
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 3522
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:02 am
Location: Therapy
Has thanked: 1992 times
Been thanked: 4722 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Teacup30 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:26 pm

He didn't just use the n word, he used it as an insult.

And then he makes that stupid 'climate change isn't real' bull crap video? People are dying! We need to do something about it! Politics IS relevant.

I normally like pewdiepie but OMG I feel quite angry now.

User avatar
Soso
Learner
Learner
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:45 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Soso » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:36 am

Wow. Is he really that stupid?
I used to really like him, but i just can't stand him now. I'm almot surtain that he does all of this to be cool and edgy for his fanboys.
:love2:

User avatar
wild4thenight
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Posts: 1993
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:13 am
Has thanked: 43 times
Been thanked: 195 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by wild4thenight » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:52 am

dar90 wrote:Why would that word be in the vocabulary of a white Swedish dude? That's insane. Especially in moments of anger - most people go to the curse words they use the most, because it's like an instinct.
I think he goes out of his way to say these things. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.
my thoughts too. english isn't even his first language so why would he use that word at all, in any context?

freaking idiot

liarliar_
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 699
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:56 am
Has thanked: 854 times
Been thanked: 172 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by liarliar_ » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:49 am

Some people are saying he made a mistake and shouldn't be "crucified" like come on... I love pewdiepie but this is beyond a mistake. He said he forgot he was on a live stream so he likely says it off camera. Regardless of whether you think he's a racist or not, no one should be using that word! It isn't up for debate.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
Vici
Learner
Learner
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:27 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Vici » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:27 am

With the wsj drama, I could take the "he's dumb AF but everything is out of context" angle. Here we have a 27 years old man who, among all the insults that exist in the english vocabulary, choosed to used the n-word. Not a slip, a full well pronounced racial slur.
1/So he might use it frequently off cam.
2/He uses it as an insult. He's not seeing it as a "my dude" equivalent. He's not singing along to Kendrick Lamar or trying to talk like a black rapper.
He already got called out once about using the word.
Either this man needs a reality check cause he thinks he's smarter than everyone and above every rule either he actually belongs with his alt right fans.

User avatar
CrystallineKitty
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 362 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by CrystallineKitty » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:51 am

Felix is not very bright is he? :roll:
Image :love2: :love2:

User avatar
onmywayhome
Learner
Learner
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:20 am
Has thanked: 64 times
Been thanked: 18 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by onmywayhome » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:43 am

:roll: :roll: :roll:
no words for this dude, he doesnt realise what he says or does
living in his priviliged bubble
meh

it's a real pity that a huge majority of his fans are so young... especially after that nonsens he said in the climate video
queen of typos

I'm not a native English speaker, so I make a lot of mistakes, but I hope you will forgive me <3

User avatar
KimiNiMuneKyun
Learner
Learner
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:15 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by KimiNiMuneKyun » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am

You'd think someone who is basically the face of Youtube, has millions of subscribers, and has millions if not billions of people watching (including non-fans) would be a little more careful with the things he says. But he doesn't care. I guess he's at this level where he's untouchable. He can say and do whatever, and there will always be people who watch and donate. He has money and will always continue to collect it as long as his videos are monetized.
Does he not care about his reputation? Does he not care that "nazi" and "racist" are associated with his name and his face?
And the people defending him saying it's normal to yell profanities when playing video games and that everyone has called someone/said a slur before.
First of all, anyone getting seriously pissed when playing video games is pathetic. Get it together.
Second of all, no. You wouldn't believe how easy it is not to call someone a slur!
There are plenty of people who have never aggressively called someone a slur before!

His video on climate change is just rich! A celebrity who doesn't know what they're talking about telling other celebrities that if they don't know what they're talking about, that they shouldn't get involved.
Last edited by KimiNiMuneKyun on Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bee95
Learner
Learner
Posts: 60
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:50 pm
Has thanked: 17 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Bee95 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:18 am

wild4thenight wrote:
dar90 wrote:Why would that word be in the vocabulary of a white Swedish dude? That's insane. Especially in moments of anger - most people go to the curse words they use the most, because it's like an instinct.
I think he goes out of his way to say these things. It just doesn't make sense otherwise.
my thoughts too. english isn't even his first language so why would he use that word at all, in any context?

freaking idiot
I completely agree. He used to revert back to Swedish when he got angry.

Trimis de pe al meu SM-A520F folosind Tapatalk

User avatar
meowlizzz
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Posts: 1875
Joined: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:08 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by meowlizzz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 am

I'd say he's more ignorant and stupid than actually racist. (Although he could very well be a closeted racist.) He's totally oblivious and privileged, doesn't truly understand the meaning of using that word. I don't think he'll ever understand the gravity of using slurs. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

User avatar
romr211
Informer
Informer
Posts: 453
Joined: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:54 am
Location: United States
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 7 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by romr211 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:44 pm

meowlizzz wrote:I'd say he's more ignorant and stupid than actually racist. (Although he could very well be a closeted racist.) He's totally oblivious and privileged, doesn't truly understand the meaning of using that word. I don't think he'll ever understand the gravity of using slurs. Stupid, stupid, stupid.
I mean, there are different levels of racism. There's overt, subtle, and implicit racism. I would say Felix is more subtle, because his racism comes out in certain situations (i.e., him saying the n-word while forgetting he is live streaming because he most likely uses that word regularly when he isn't streaming/filming or edits out any n-words in videos). Everyone has some racist bias, even if we don't realize it. Some people are just more explicit about it.
Image

User avatar
beigepug21
Debater
Debater
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:09 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by beigepug21 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:05 pm

He's a 27 year old man who knows the historical connotations of the n word and still chooses to use it. Let's stop making excuses and speak clearly - Felix is a racist.

Butterflywing
Informer
Informer
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:14 am
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 130 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Butterflywing » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 pm

Still wish him death.

Mod can delete my post if they want. I despise Felix and want his world to crumble.
God damn m raging just thinking about him.

Serendipitous
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1179
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:29 am
Has thanked: 408 times
Been thanked: 875 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Serendipitous » Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:43 pm

beigepug21 wrote:He's a 27 year old man who knows the historical connotations of the n word and still chooses to use it. Let's stop making excuses and speak clearly - Felix is a racist.
Thank you.

User avatar
DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2217
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 491 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by DaylightAmy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:37 pm

I really find this so hard to wrap my head around.

First of all I feel like the "left" and "right" angles on this type of issue have been shifting so fast lately that I don't even know what camp I'm in anymore and it's kind of uncomfortable to be honest.

I don't believe that one word should have so much power that it can destroy someone's career... not because I don't think that one word can be that harmful, but because I don't believe that any word deserves that level of power anymore and I would rather people air their dirt so we can talk about it than keep it behind closed doors and we can never fix it.

That said, I never say the N-word. I don't say it at home, I don't say it when I'm drunk, I don't say it when I'm playing games, so I can never get caught in public saying it... because it's just not in my vocabulary, and I've never understood people's need to ADD it to their vocabulary, what MAKES you adopt a word like that when you know its history? When there are so many equally aggressive and less harmful words that you can use? I just... I don't want to give any word too much power but I have trouble understanding why anyone feels the need to use the N-word. You can just not. And the fact that you can "slip up" using it means you use it a lot more in your personal life and I just really don't get that?!

I'm European and when I moved to the US I was actually shocked at how many Americans I met, who considered themselves firmly progressive and not racist, who used to N-word on a day to day basis... it shocked me because it was THEIR television shows that had been telling me that nobody but the KKK pretty much still uses that word. I find it a really puzzling word in social context... also because racial issues in the US are very unique and separated from the rest of the world... so I find it really hard to assign a certain amount of power to the word outside the US social setting... and at the same time I find it even harder to understand why anyone outside that context would even have the word in their vocabulary.

So I don't know, man.

I judge PewDiePie because as a fellow white European I don't understand why he's using the word in the first place if not to be an edgelord.

But I also am really sick of everyone sitting ready with pitchforks and torches waiting for someone to say ONE word to try and utterly destroy them and pretend it's the word's fault.

I'm confused. The world is confusing. I'm getting old. I should find a cabin in the woods somewhere and never deal with this shit again.
Image
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

User avatar
makeupmenace
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 564
Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:48 pm
Location: Europe
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by makeupmenace » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:45 pm

I have never posted on this thread before, but a link from IGN popped up in my Facebook feed and my god, I couldn't believe it. 99% of comments were apologists. What...how...what? How are so many people okay with this? I can tell you all right now, in my circle of friends, all of us have been playing video games longer than this chump and none of us have ever, ever used a racist slur because we got "angry". That's what casual swearing or rage quitting is for.
Blending is my cardio.

Branola
Debater
Debater
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Branola » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:35 pm

DaylightAmy wrote:I really find this so hard to wrap my head around.

First of all I feel like the "left" and "right" angles on this type of issue have been shifting so fast lately that I don't even know what camp I'm in anymore and it's kind of uncomfortable to be honest.

I don't believe that one word should have so much power that it can destroy someone's career... not because I don't think that one word can be that harmful, but because I don't believe that any word deserves that level of power anymore and I would rather people air their dirt so we can talk about it than keep it behind closed doors and we can never fix it.

That said, I never say the N-word. I don't say it at home, I don't say it when I'm drunk, I don't say it when I'm playing games, so I can never get caught in public saying it... because it's just not in my vocabulary, and I've never understood people's need to ADD it to their vocabulary, what MAKES you adopt a word like that when you know its history? When there are so many equally aggressive and less harmful words that you can use? I just... I don't want to give any word too much power but I have trouble understanding why anyone feels the need to use the N-word. You can just not. And the fact that you can "slip up" using it means you use it a lot more in your personal life and I just really don't get that?!

I'm European and when I moved to the US I was actually shocked at how many Americans I met, who considered themselves firmly progressive and not racist, who used to N-word on a day to day basis... it shocked me because it was THEIR television shows that had been telling me that nobody but the KKK pretty much still uses that word. I find it a really puzzling word in social context... also because racial issues in the US are very unique and separated from the rest of the world... so I find it really hard to assign a certain amount of power to the word outside the US social setting... and at the same time I find it even harder to understand why anyone outside that context would even have the word in their vocabulary.

So I don't know, man.

I judge PewDiePie because as a fellow white European I don't understand why he's using the word in the first place if not to be an edgelord.

But I also am really sick of everyone sitting ready with pitchforks and torches waiting for someone to say ONE word to try and utterly destroy them and pretend it's the word's fault.

I'm confused. The world is confusing. I'm getting old. I should find a cabin in the woods somewhere and never deal with this shit again.
No offense but you can think you're progressive without actually being so (hence what you saw when you visited the US). The only person's opinions who matter on this are black folks. You said you're not American, but I'm sure you've learned about our history. Racism has never gone away in our country. I, as a black american woman can't go to a good majority of the states in my own damn country because I get slurs thrown at me, bad service, and death stares. And those experiences are the lucky ones! The n-word is a derogatory word and it only means one thing. It doesn't matter if you're not from the US, the word only has one meaning. Curse when you get frustrated, yell incoherent noises, whatever. But choosing to use that word, a word that is very clear in it's meaning and history, even after being asked to please not to by the people it refers to, is wrong and upsetting.

Frankly, it's not that hard to realize why one shouldn't use it. When black people, which the n-word SPECIFICALLY refers to, who have gone through years of oppression (which continues today) tell you not to use the word, you shouldn't. The only people who are allowed to speak the word (I personally don't like using it. Just hearing it greatly upsets me, and I was called it once in person by a white dude and couldn't stop crying for hours). I felt so scared and upset. So just because some people think it's a word of the past. IT'S NOT. It still affects black folks greatly to this day.

So I don't really understand what's to "wrap your head around". All we ask is for the word to not be used. There's so many other words to choose from why do people want to argue their right to use a word, which is a hurtful slur, SO BADLY???

Also the way it was said, and how he said "I forgot I was streaming" means he uses this slur on the reg for it to just slip out. As we all know he's not even American. He used to actually cuss in Swedish when he got frustrated, and yet somehow picked up using the n-word. He was warned once and asked not to use it, and yet he continues to, and it's clear he has never stopped.

Sorry for such a long response, but to me it's very clear. And on issues of slurs people should be listening to the large group of black folks who are simply asking you not to use it.

We're not sitting and waiting for people to fuck up. We're specifically, right here, and right now talking about Felix, a man who has a huge influence and has had a bazillion chances to change and learn and grow. I'm all for people who made mistakes doing racist shit in the past learning and owning up. I don't focus on the past, it's who someone is now. I even continued to watch him after his first couple controversies because he apologized and again I'm all for people learning. Especially a dude who lives in privilege and spends all his time online, he obviously hasn't been very exposed to things. But when it's clear previous forgiveness and chances are wasted. We have a right to be angry.

User avatar
DaylightAmy
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2217
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:07 pm
Has thanked: 31 times
Been thanked: 491 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by DaylightAmy » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:57 pm

Branola wrote:
DaylightAmy wrote:I really find this so hard to wrap my head around.

First of all I feel like the "left" and "right" angles on this type of issue have been shifting so fast lately that I don't even know what camp I'm in anymore and it's kind of uncomfortable to be honest.

I don't believe that one word should have so much power that it can destroy someone's career... not because I don't think that one word can be that harmful, but because I don't believe that any word deserves that level of power anymore and I would rather people air their dirt so we can talk about it than keep it behind closed doors and we can never fix it.

That said, I never say the N-word. I don't say it at home, I don't say it when I'm drunk, I don't say it when I'm playing games, so I can never get caught in public saying it... because it's just not in my vocabulary, and I've never understood people's need to ADD it to their vocabulary, what MAKES you adopt a word like that when you know its history? When there are so many equally aggressive and less harmful words that you can use? I just... I don't want to give any word too much power but I have trouble understanding why anyone feels the need to use the N-word. You can just not. And the fact that you can "slip up" using it means you use it a lot more in your personal life and I just really don't get that?!

I'm European and when I moved to the US I was actually shocked at how many Americans I met, who considered themselves firmly progressive and not racist, who used to N-word on a day to day basis... it shocked me because it was THEIR television shows that had been telling me that nobody but the KKK pretty much still uses that word. I find it a really puzzling word in social context... also because racial issues in the US are very unique and separated from the rest of the world... so I find it really hard to assign a certain amount of power to the word outside the US social setting... and at the same time I find it even harder to understand why anyone outside that context would even have the word in their vocabulary.

So I don't know, man.

I judge PewDiePie because as a fellow white European I don't understand why he's using the word in the first place if not to be an edgelord.

But I also am really sick of everyone sitting ready with pitchforks and torches waiting for someone to say ONE word to try and utterly destroy them and pretend it's the word's fault.

I'm confused. The world is confusing. I'm getting old. I should find a cabin in the woods somewhere and never deal with this shit again.
No offense but you can think you're progressive without actually being so (hence what you saw when you visited the US). The only person's opinions who matter on this are black folks. You said you're not American, but I'm sure you've learned about our history. Racism has never gone away in our country. I, as a black american woman can't go to a good majority of the states in my own damn country because I get slurs thrown at me, bad service, and death stares. And those experiences are the lucky ones! The n-word is a derogatory word and it only means one thing. It doesn't matter if you're not from the US, the word only has one meaning. Curse when you get frustrated, yell incoherent noises, whatever. But choosing to use that word, a word that is very clear in it's meaning and history, even after being asked to please not to by the people it refers to, is wrong and upsetting.

Frankly, it's not that hard to realize why one shouldn't use it. When black people, which the n-word SPECIFICALLY refers to, who have gone through years of oppression (which continues today) tell you not to use the word, you shouldn't. The only people who are allowed to speak the word (I personally don't like using it. Just hearing it greatly upsets me, and I was called it once in person by a white dude and couldn't stop crying for hours). I felt so scared and upset. So just because some people think it's a word of the past. IT'S NOT. It still affects black folks greatly to this day.

So I don't really understand what's to "wrap your head around". All we ask is for the word to not be used. There's so many other words to choose from why do people want to argue their right to use a word, which is a hurtful slur, SO BADLY???

Also the way it was said, and how he said "I forgot I was streaming" means he uses this slur on the reg for it to just slip out. As we all know he's not even American. He used to actually cuss in Swedish when he got frustrated, and yet somehow picked up using the n-word. He was warned once and asked not to use it, and yet he continues to, and it's clear he has never stopped.

Sorry for such a long response, but to me it's very clear. And on issues of slurs people should be listening to the large group of black folks who are simply asking you not to use it.

We're not sitting and waiting for people to fuck up. We're specifically, right here, and right now talking about Felix, a man who has a huge influence and has had a bazillion chances to change and learn and grow. I'm all for people who made mistakes doing racist shit in the past learning and owning up. I don't focus on the past, it's who someone is now. I even continued to watch him after his first couple controversies because he apologized and again I'm all for people learning. Especially a dude who lives in privilege and spends all his time online, he obviously hasn't been very exposed to things. But when it's clear previous forgiveness and chances are wasted. We have a right to be angry.
I fully agree with you, and I certainly NEVER said you have no right to be angry. You have every right to be angry and you shouldn't even need to educate me, and for that I'm sorry. I can only express my response from where I stand, which I did, and it is bound to not be as insightful and personal as your response to a situation like this would be. For me to pretend otherwise would be manufactured, and I don't want that, I don't want to go through the motions, hide my thoughts and tick the boxes just to sound like "the perfect ally", if I lack insight I want to be corrected openly. That's not meant as a dismissal of your experience, that's meant as honesty and commitment to grow together.

Like I said, I don't see any reason for ANYONE to still be using the word.

That said, my point is (I possibly worded it poorly) that Pewdiepie should be scolded and called out, but the moment people start calling for his career to be over you also (a) make him into a martyr, (b) play into the right-wing narrative of "free speech persecution" (which only radicalizes racists) and (c) halt the discussion... in my opinion.

Again I can only speak from where I'm sitting... and am happy to be enlightened if I'm missing things. I'm a big believer in "don't hide the ugly away" because I don't think it helps, I think it makes the ugly worse. Time I guess will tell if I'm right or wrong.
Image
Shredder. Master Splinter. Jackie. Boss. Pancake.

Branola
Debater
Debater
Posts: 233
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:49 pm
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 208 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Branola » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:16 pm

@DaylightAmy [Haha sorry I dunno how to cut the quotes down so it's not 12 years long]

Thanks so much for being understanding, and responding so nicely I really appreciate it!

And to answer your question I THINK it's because he influences so many people. I know that with people who have celebrity they can be overly criticized and treated unfairly, but for me personally I think it's important to take it on a case by case basis. Simply because saying people who are famous shouldn't be judged like everyday people just feels so wrong to me. They're not special, they're still human beings. But every person's situation is different, which is why when talking about Felix I'm only talking about him, not saying "Felix and so-and-so are all the same! See! They're all racists!" So if someone is upset about something someone else said/does I'm not here to lump everyone together. I just want to focus on Felix, personally.

If no one listened to what he was saying it wouldn't matter. But this dude is a millionaire. He influences hundreds of thousands of people with his content. When people were saying "why is this yelling loser making so much money?" I didn't care because he entertains people and a lot of people like it, and it's a job, so rightfully so he gets paid because of all the people he can bring him. I used to watch him, but his videos just stopped entertaining me (I prefer calmer, long let's plays instead of his style), so I stopped. Not because of anything he may have said or done. Him making money is whatever, but having influence, he can influence a lot of people. For both fans, non-fans, and people who were fans but aren't anymore we are influenced by what he does. His racist and upsetting language seeps into people's minds who haven't fully learned that those things are wrong to say (pre-teens, young teens), and they're going to repeat them and think it's cool to say them. Growing up subtle racism made me uncomfortable and very upset during times, but I couldn't put my finger on exactly how/why. Subtle racism leads to overt racism (like with what we're seeing in the States), and so people upset by his comments are afraid for themselves and their loved ones and what the future holds. He's reaching A LOT of people, and one can say "oh it's not his fault", but no matter who you are (celebrity or other form of popularity) you impact people, that's just the way it works. And that's why people are so upset and focus on him so much.

For example, just like patriarchal values while not always blatantly sexist they have formed how men treat women, etc. it's the same with subtle racism/racist overtones being a part of the content one consumes. It affects you and how you think, and how you think affects the things you say and do. And because we know just how many people he's reaching with these harmful displays, it makes people so upset and frantic.

Does that make sense?

User avatar
GoP1kachuGo
Talker
Talker
Posts: 116
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:54 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pewdiepie

Post by GoP1kachuGo » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:08 pm

I keep seeing a few YouTubers (for example NerdCubed) blaming Pewdiepie for the adpocalypse because of this and the other shitstorm Pewds caused. Any thoughts?

I don't feel like he can be blamed 100% (for the adpocalypse), seems like more of a scapegoat thing. He's the biggest and a lot of YouTubers seem to be quite hungry for him to fall down imo (and aren't hiding it one bit).
I feel like YouTube was starting to fall before any of this happened and this is just an opportunity to blame someone (instead of the platform itself). Lots of people were already complaining about their channels dying, a lack of ads etc. but admittedly it did worsen after the Nazi scandal... so :-?

Right now I'm just waiting for his "friends" to acknowledge what happened, to see whether they drop him immediately or try damage control.

Of course I don't agree with what Pewd's has been doing/saying and as a fan I just find it really sad.

User avatar
KimiNiMuneKyun
Learner
Learner
Posts: 98
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:15 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 5 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by KimiNiMuneKyun » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:32 pm

I don't know anything about the adpocolypse. It would be funny if it were all Felix's fault; then maybe people would actually condemn him for once and urge him to stop being such an ass-hat.

What I find interesting is all the people saying that we shouldn't give the N-word power because it's just a word. But do any of these people plan on fighting racism so that this word is not negatively used against black people? Do they plan on changing the meaning and connotation of the word?
These people have no plan to abolish racism so that slurs are obsolete and mean nothing.
They want an excuse to be openly racist without any consequences. As long as racism, or any sort of bigotry, exists, slurs will always have power.

And I just don't understand why people want to use slurs so badly lol. Is it like forbidden fruit to them? Reverse psychology? What is the appeal exactly?

adven
Debater
Debater
Posts: 231
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:53 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: pewdiepie

Post by adven » Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:55 am

KimiNiMuneKyun wrote: And I just don't understand why people want to use slurs so badly lol. Is it like forbidden fruit to them? Reverse psychology? What is the appeal exactly?
You could say the same about people who are oddly trying to "reclaim" the homophobic slur that starts with Q.

User avatar
Soso
Learner
Learner
Posts: 83
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:45 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: pewdiepie

Post by Soso » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:23 am

I've been watching people responding to him today and it seems like most of them deffend him :x . Pewdiepie is like the popar kid in school, most people that show their faces on youtube are affraid to criticize him because they know his fans will attack or they just like him (for some reason)evetyone want to ne on the side of the 'cool guy' the edgy pewds :roll: :roll: .
:love2:

User avatar
CrystallineKitty
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 973
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:58 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 362 times

Re: pewdiepie

Post by CrystallineKitty » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:39 am

With the kind of shit he says, he does help normalise racism and neo-nazi attitudes. That's the whole problem. There is a study that suggests that humour lessens the intensity of a situation and people are more likely to take it serious. There is correlation between the kind of humour people are exposed to and how serious they take a specific subject matter.
Image :love2: :love2:

Locked

Return to “pewdiepie”