DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark

niamhburns94
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DoddleOddle / Dodie Clark

Post by niamhburns94 »

I've come to the conclusion that Dodie SHOULD NOT be on social media the way she is, it's incredibly unhealthy for her and I know from experience that social media can have SUCH a detrimental impact on your mental health. Watching her videos lately she doesn't seem to be in the right place, she seems very vulnerable and I don't think she should be so dependent on social media and oversharing and instead take some time off. Anyone agree?

2emma1
Talker
Talker

Post by 2emma1 »

The bully video is so bland... all these youtubers getting book deals are probably fairly interesting and smart but they all seem to write the same bland generic vague self-reflecting crap... like who does this truly help, and if its not meant to help shouldn't it at least be well written or somewhat interesting?

wolfgutscharlie

Post by wolfgutscharlie »

niamhburns94 wrote:I've come to the conclusion that Dodie SHOULD NOT be on social media the way she is, it's incredibly unhealthy for her and I know from experience that social media can have SUCH a detrimental impact on your mental health. Watching her videos lately she doesn't seem to be in the right place, she seems very vulnerable and I don't think she should be so dependent on social media and oversharing and instead take some time off. Anyone agree?
It'd be alright if she was like most people, and wasn't famous. Battling depression and suicidal thoughts whilst everyone is going 'WOW YOU'RE SO PRETTY, WE LOVE YOU!' is one of the most challenging things ever (I used to have a channel but I was never really *super popular*).

As well as the constant feeling of 'you don't know me properly so that isn't true' so then you start oversharing to have a feeling of 'they know me now so now what they say IS actually true' to feel better about yourself. Then you start getting addicted to always having at least 100 people saying words of support, which leads to you thinking your subscribers are your close friends that you confide in. It's incredibly hard to get out of and the only way I did it was well, deleting my channel (which she shouldn't do).

Not only do you believe you have friends but then you start believing you're raising awareness/stopping the stigma around it when some of your 'friends' (subscribers) start saying things like 'I related to this video... *insert life story*' or 'this video helped with my depression' or whatever. Her fans do not help her, at all.

She doesn't realise that she's sharing everything to a bunch of strangers, and I wouldn't be surprised if her abusive ex was taking notes, so he knew exactly what to say to her. Considering only months ago she followed Karim (someone who sexually assaulted her) on twitter, I really wouldn't be surprised if it was working.

So yeah, social media for her is a BIG no, but annoyingly it is her job and if she starts taking breaks, then people are going to become uninterested. She's doing VEDA now too, apparently, so I can imagine there will be a few videos where she talks about being depressed, promoing her book, or something else of the sort.

She needs to think before she posts, or have someone managing her social media (like her manager) whilst she's in this state. It's not good.

niamhburns94
Lurker
Lurker

Post by niamhburns94 »

wolfgutscharlie wrote:
niamhburns94 wrote:I've come to the conclusion that Dodie SHOULD NOT be on social media the way she is, it's incredibly unhealthy for her and I know from experience that social media can have SUCH a detrimental impact on your mental health. Watching her videos lately she doesn't seem to be in the right place, she seems very vulnerable and I don't think she should be so dependent on social media and oversharing and instead take some time off. Anyone agree?
It'd be alright if she was like most people, and wasn't famous. Battling depression and suicidal thoughts whilst everyone is going 'WOW YOU'RE SO PRETTY, WE LOVE YOU!' is one of the most challenging things ever (I used to have a channel but I was never really *super popular*).

As well as the constant feeling of 'you don't know me properly so that isn't true' so then you start oversharing to have a feeling of 'they know me now so now what they say IS actually true' to feel better about yourself. Then you start getting addicted to always having at least 100 people saying words of support, which leads to you thinking your subscribers are your close friends that you confide in. It's incredibly hard to get out of and the only way I did it was well, deleting my channel (which she shouldn't do).

Not only do you believe you have friends but then you start believing you're raising awareness/stopping the stigma around it when some of your 'friends' (subscribers) start saying things like 'I related to this video... *insert life story*' or 'this video helped with my depression' or whatever. Her fans do not help her, at all.

She doesn't realise that she's sharing everything to a bunch of strangers, and I wouldn't be surprised if her abusive ex was taking notes, so he knew exactly what to say to her. Considering only months ago she followed Karim (someone who sexually assaulted her) on twitter, I really wouldn't be surprised if it was working.

So yeah, social media for her is a BIG no, but annoyingly it is her job and if she starts taking breaks, then people are going to become uninterested. She's doing VEDA now too, apparently, so I can imagine there will be a few videos where she talks about being depressed, promoing her book, or something else of the sort.

She needs to think before she posts, or have someone managing her social media (like her manager) whilst she's in this state. It's not good.
I agree with everything you said. However I think as much as social media is her job, it doesn't work well for her at all, hence the oversharing that she does. In my opinion, social media and mental health issues is a recipe for disaster and as much as she is a creative, I don't think it is a healthy job for her to do. I don't want her to give up YouTube, I find her fascinating BUT I think she should at least take a break or let her manager take over her social media for a bit.

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

wolfgutscharlie wrote:

Totally agree. I feel like there's a very fine line between what is and isn't acceptable on social media, and that line can sometimes become blurred with people like Dodie (big presence on YouTube/social media, mental health issues, etc.), whether it's her or her fans doing the blurring.

That's a really good point about her abusive ex as well - she's so out there on social media. She posts almost everything - like it's her diary or something. If someone just paid close attention to what she's saying on there, it really wouldn't be that difficult to keep tabs on what her breaking points are. We also don't know if she's blocked that ex, and if she hasn't, then it would be so easy for him to just take one look at her Twitter or Instagram or doddlevloggle, and just learn everything.

I agree, she definitely needs to think before she posts. And a break would be good for her, I think. It's a bit unfortunate that she's only just started VEDA (and I don't think a break is going to happen anytime soon, because of that). I'm just waiting for one day this month when she posts a really elaborate video about mental health or posts on social media or whatever (she mentioned that she has a 30 minute long video lined up - it was either in a live Instagram or on her Twitter, I can't really remember which one - and I'm a bit afraid that it's going to be about mental health).

I guess this is when we're going to find out if she's going to stay true to her word in her apology video - if she posts something about mental health in the next few months, that probably means that she's not really that sorry about it.

polarbearninja
Informer
Informer

Post by polarbearninja »

Dodie herself not that long ago used to be a really enthusiastic/over the top YouTuber (and other celebs probably) fan. Remember what she said she did to Brittany Louise Taylor? (spamming her facebook) She went from fan to famous in a fairly short time. That's probably a weird process to go through. She has wanted to be noticed by strangers for years and now that she is it isn't fulfilling her like she expected. I still don't think she quite realizes it's probably not going to. She has to have a life separate to her career of YouTube that fulfills her.. but right now it's completely intertwined.

purplepumpkins
Learner
Learner

Post by purplepumpkins »

super petty but her blush was so patchy in her last video lol
Not a native English speaker, sorry for any mistakes! <3

mimosa
Stalker
Stalker

Post by mimosa »

This is a tiny thing but the fake freckles she (and a million other people do) really annoy me they look SO BAD. I found them so distracting in her last vid lmao

clarbrook
Learner
Learner

Post by clarbrook »

I liked her first Veda, her just singing with a lower voice on the ukulele. It was nice. But the french braid tutorial? It's boring. I think without the mental health video ideas, she's gonna run out of original ideas really quickly

maccalacca
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by maccalacca »

clarbrook wrote:I liked her first Veda, her just singing with a lower voice on the ukulele. It was nice. But the french braid tutorial? It's boring. I think without the mental health video ideas, she's gonna run out of original ideas really quickly
She's not even good at doing braids, it was the most pointless video ever.

thejoker999
Debater
Debater

Post by thejoker999 »

I could barely understand her french braiding commentary, her speech mumbles enough without the added effects and 50s BBC style voice.

kotori
Talker
Talker

Post by kotori »

ohboioioi wrote:as much as i agree with some of this i think a lot of it is just nit picking and looking for reasons to feel justified in not liking her. yes she's been irresponsible and massively overshared, and not every single video she makes is pure gold dust. but, she's very young and social media is a very new thing, nobody teaches you how to be a youtuber, there are no guidelines for this stuff. she's also incredibly ill. as much as she overshares, there's no way she puts all of it online, it seems like she's struggling constantly and because nobody's showing her what to do with herself she's expressing it all in the wrong ways.

she seems to be trying really hard to do the right thing and to keep making things in spite of everything. it's hard to judge things rationally when you're depressed, when you're young, and when you have thousands and thousands of people constantly giving opinions and criticisms and suggestions based on the very little they know about her from her social media presence. as much as you think you know about her, there's always a tonne more that she'll be keeping to herself. give her a break maybe.

i dont know if any of you have seen pewdiepie's video where he says that he's tired of treating his channel like a start up, that's what every channel is like. with youtube you have to keep working hard and keep making and keep producing things constantly or you fade away. dodie's been trying to do that whilst being incredibly unwell and clearly going through things in her personal life. she doesn't need people nitpicking and turning every single thing she says and does into a terrible sin. have some empathy.

you are on the wrong website lol

stan loona

eatincrackers
Talker
Talker

Post by eatincrackers »

Two brand new accounts that are complaining people critiquing dodie seems suspicious...

mer
Learner
Learner

Post by mer »

loiter wrote:I'm sorry but, what do you people honestly want from this girl? Like genuinely I'm not sure what she could possibly do to stop you from criticising her every move.

That apology video was almost WORD FOR WORD what has been said on this thread for months now. She said the exact words 'I don't want to make mental health my brand', which is something she has been accused of for months here.

What more does she have to do?
You can't force everyone to like somebody - especially not on a website like this which if you haven't already noticed is a pretty stark comparison to Youtube comment sections. I don't think people here are being unduly malicious, they aren't forcing their dislike of Dodie down her throat or abusing her - it's Dodie's choice to read here if she wants. I would hope that she is mature enough to make her own decisions on whether she wants to be aware of criticism surrounding her image, her music, her online persona... and have the strength of character enough then to react in a measured way.

I think Dodie has definitely been making improvements on how she presents herself online but making one apology video where she spewed up what we've been saying on here doesn't negate the bullshit she's been coming out with for months on end.

It's interesting that you only made your account very recently but you're commenting on things that were established on here a little while ago...

ColourlessGreenIdeas
Informer
Informer

Post by ColourlessGreenIdeas »

loiter wrote:I'm sorry but, what do you people honestly want from this girl? Like genuinely I'm not sure what she could possibly do to stop you from criticising her every move.

That apology video was almost WORD FOR WORD what has been said on this thread for months now. She said the exact words 'I don't want to make mental health my brand', which is something she has been accused of for months here.

What more does she have to do?
Yeah, but the damage has already been done. People have still been upset by her Snapchat stories, her Instagram pictures, her tweets, her videos... To the point that some people have actually had to stop watching her content and unfollow her on social media because there are no trigger warnings, it just appears so suddenly and without any apparent reason. And remember, she made a choice to post all of that stuff online - I know mental health messes with your perception (because I've been there too), but she still chose to post it. She still filmed, edited, exported and uploaded those videos. And not once did she think of the effect that it would have, until it was too late.

Also remember that a lot of teenagers watch her videos, and even kids younger than that watch her stuff too - she has a very impressionable audience, and it is dangerous to put that sort of stuff out there for young kids to see without any filters or warnings or anything. Because it's quite likely that some of her audience have started to copy her actions (I can't speak for her whole fanbase, obviously, but some of my friends are huge fans of hers, and they have that same attention-seeking behaviour - if they didn't learn it from her, she's definitely not making it any better, because she's promoting it).

So it's less that we're critiquing her every move, it's more that we're not satisfied with her "apology", because just saying "sorry, I don't want mental health to be my brand" doesn't make every other thing that she's done null and void because of that one video. (also remember that she chose to call her book "Secrets for the Mad" when she could have chosen any other title... look a bit further back in this forum if you want to know why we're upset about that)

Also, this forum has been going on for months, if not years now. Funny how you're only just making an account now to white knight her, when there was no sign of you here before :roll:

aaa123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by aaa123 »

eatincrackers wrote:Two brand new accounts that are complaining people critiquing dodie seems suspicious...
maybe dodie and lucy have finally come out of hiding after all the lurking they've admitted to doing on here :rofl: it definitely seems suspicious

tadahhhhh
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tadahhhhh »

Oh here we go...You know this is a gossip site yeah? It's like going to a Harry Potter forum and then wondering why everyone is talking about HP. Duh :roll:

tinycarousels
Talker
Talker

Post by tinycarousels »

LOL and now the two accounts are gone and you can't find their posts on here. :rofl: 100% believe Lucy was drunk and created two accounts to white knight Dodie and then realized what she'd done the next day. Or hell, maybe it was Dodie herself. Either way I feel like if it was a fan they wouldn't delete their accounts, they'd want to see what else we said so they could "stand up for her" again. Obviously it was someone who had to do damage control and delete BOTH accounts (I wouldn't think it was either of the girls had one account been taken down, but both?) Yeah, definitely Lucy or Dodie. Lucy seems more the type to visit here on the daily, so it wouldn't surprise me.

(And she did a few weeks back, saying stuff almost as similar on her Snap story as these accounts wrote when she visited Dodie's forum.)

Both posts seemed so naive as well. Like we were being so awful to Dodie. Half the stuff said on here is harmless and not even mean. Just goes to show it was someone who hasn't stepped foot out in the real world yet, and lives in their comfy little YouTube bubble. Imagine if Dodie was an A-List celebrity, she'd get far worse criticism and even death threats for no reason. But guys, we're being so mean! Have some empathy. :roll:

eatincrackers
Talker
Talker

Post by eatincrackers »

tinycarousels wrote:LOL and now the two accounts are gone and you can't find their posts on here. :rofl: 100% believe Lucy was drunk and created two accounts to white knight Dodie and then realized what she'd done the next day. Or hell, maybe it was Dodie herself. Either way I feel like if it was a fan they wouldn't delete their accounts, they'd want to see what else we said so they could "stand up for her" again. Obviously it was someone who had to do damage control and delete BOTH accounts (I wouldn't think it was either of the girls had one account been taken down, but both?) Yeah, definitely Lucy or Dodie. Lucy seems more the type to visit here on the daily, so it wouldn't surprise me.

(And she did a few weeks back, saying stuff almost as similar on her Snap story as these accounts wrote when she visited Dodie's forum.)

Both posts seemed so naive as well. Like we were being so awful to Dodie. Half the stuff said on here is harmless and not even mean. Just goes to show it was someone who hasn't stepped foot out in the real world yet, and lives in their comfy little YouTube bubble. Imagine if Dodie was an A-List celebrity, she'd get far worse criticism and even death threats for no reason. But guys, we're being so mean! Have some empathy. :roll:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was dodie. She said in the "Baking Banana Bread & Never Have I Ever" video that she runs an anonymous fan account on tumblr about herself, so I wouldn't put it past her to start making accounts on gurugossip to defend herself.

kotori
Talker
Talker

Post by kotori »

tinycarousels wrote:100% believe Lucy was drunk and created two accounts to white knight Dodie and then realized what she'd done the next day.
hahahaha honestly you're probably right, read the post i quoted in lucy's voice it sounds exactly like her. idk why dodie keeps lucy around because lucy acts more like a fan of dodie's than a friend....

stan loona

Return to “DoddleOddle/ Dodie Clark”