Casey Neistat, Part #2

treetown_squirrel
Debater
Debater
Been thanked: 0

Re: Casey Neistat, Part #2

Post by treetown_squirrel »

horatio wrote:New video (NYC in a crisis) is a bit crap. Nice sentiment and all but still a bit crap. Firstly it feels unoriginal- like he is ripping himself off. I’m sure he’s done so much similar stuff. But secondly this one is really lacking - it’s mainly press conference clips and vox pops of New Yorkers. Bit dull. Lastly it’s already out of date what with the Robert de Niro bomb, it was a mistake focusing so much on CNN when it’s part of a much larger thing. And yes it’s scary but NY has been through much worse - calling it a “crisis” doesn’t seem like the right word.
I'm glad someone else felt that one was off. What bothered me is that his main thesis was that New Yorkers are *aware* of these tragedies and yet are resilient enough to go about their daily lives. Yet... half the people he interviewed seemed to not be aware what was going on. So OF COURSE they were just going about their daily lives :rofl:

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Post by Dobrica »

I'm with you guys. Pretty uninspired and rushed video.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

Just listened to the new podcast episode.

Maybe it's because of exhaustion after bringing home a new baby, but Casey sounded drained and uninspired.

Honestly, it was a surprise to hear him admit he doesn't like being around people. Sure, the guy might be introverted, but considering how he goes above and beyond to attract people to him, and be constantly surrounded by people, I thought he would have gotten more pleasure out of socializing.

I wonder what it's like for anyone who has been excited to be in his presence to then hear him say how, when he among people, he wishes he wasn't. I wonder if that hurts anyone's feelings to know what he was really thinking when they met.

It seems like Candice is taking having a newborn in stride.

Casey mentioned suggesting just the two of them go on a vacation. That was a bit perplexing. So soon after having a baby? Or is that what wealthy parents affords you--you have family and nannies who can take care of the kids while you take off for awhile.

It feels like Casey is having a hard time with it all. He's getting older. His level of responsibility just went up. Work doesn't seem fulfilling to him anymore. It'll be interesting to see what's in store for him next.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

Has anyone seen this video (courtesy of the subreddit devoted to Casey)?

[youtube][/youtube]

I don't agree with everything he says, but it was cathartic to hear someone confirm Casey isn't the nice guy he wants everyone to believe he is.

He also mentioned Casey and Candice have been separated a few times but didn't specify if they have separated since being married. Funny how they never mention anything about separation during the podcast.

treetown_squirrel
Debater
Debater

Presence wrote:Has anyone seen this video (courtesy of the subreddit devoted to Casey)?

I don't agree with everything he says, but it was cathartic to hear someone confirm Casey isn't the nice guy he wants everyone to believe he is.

He also mentioned Casey and Candice have been separated a few times but didn't specify if they have separated since being married. Funny how they never mention anything about separation during the podcast.
Besides the fact that this guy seems just as crazy and just as much of an ass-- I do agree that he's just portraying a shiny Instagram-ready version of his life. And that his success on youtube is that he's just better at editing that than anyone else.

I think Casey has mentioned/implied that they had difficulties at the beginning of their relationship. But it's clear to me that they have ongoing issues and probably go through periods of emotional separation if not physical, too (I don't listen to the podcast so maybe they've said that). My parents are married, live under the same roof, but have been separated for at least a decade. They're weirdly frank about it but also clearly unhappy. I see them in Candice/Casey lol.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

The irony of that video. Talking about the videos being style of substance...The guy acts like he has legit information and smart insight on Casey but in reality he has very little dressed up in a lot of fancy sounding twaddle and some thoughtful pauses. He claims to know some people who know him who say he’s a bully and he likes to park his car so it’s difficult for the passenger to get out. Oh and that his marriage is troubled - I think that must be one of the least surprising revelations ever. Even if they don’t show it all they are pretty open about a lot of things. I just find that guy very unconcvincing and a little ridiculous. He keeps going on about “the upcoming civil war” for gods sake. There’s so much wrong with Casey sure but that guy isn’t really saying any of it. Or much of anything at all.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

horatio wrote:There’s so much wrong with Casey sure but that guy isn’t really saying any of it. Or much of anything at all.
I was inspired to post the video because I've never come across anyone who has actually made a video in which they criticized Casey--to any degree. For a moment, I was a bit in awe.

After I posted the video here, I went back and watched some of his other videos--wanting to get a sense of who this guy is. Yikes. He's extremely angry and, kind of, nuts.

But still, though, I give the guy a bit of credit. On here we're critical of Casey. Most people on his subreddit dislike him. But no one on YT will do a deep dive analysis of his behavior and say anything negative.

zathura998
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by zathura998 »

Hello all! I'm a first time poster long time lurker here at GG I hope to be more active in the future.

I just watched Casey's new video and from what I gather he is basically done with Vlogging and stepping back from YouTube. So, I guess this means 368 is over? Not too disappointed though. The new 368 vlogs just lacked something I can't quite put my finger on. The point is that they sucked. My question is What is he going to do with that 36,000 dollar a month space that is 368. Is the store even open yet? I'm so done with Casey (For the most part). Oh, and according to one of Casey's podcast episodes he is starting yet ANOTHER company with a friend. Where is he getting all this money? I wish the old Casey was around to actually make good vlog's

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Nun4GretchenWieners »

horatio wrote:The irony of that video. Talking about the videos being style of substance...The guy acts like he has legit information and smart insight on Casey but in reality he has very little dressed up in a lot of fancy sounding twaddle and some thoughtful pauses. He claims to know some people who know him who say he’s a bully and he likes to park his car so it’s difficult for the passenger to get out. Oh and that his marriage is troubled - I think that must be one of the least surprising revelations ever. Even if they don’t show it all they are pretty open about a lot of things. I just find that guy very unconcvincing and a little ridiculous. He keeps going on about “the upcoming civil war” for gods sake. There’s so much wrong with Casey sure but that guy isn’t really saying any of it. Or much of anything at all.

( I know this is super petty) Casey may be successful, but his face is so displeasing to look at. He doesn't have a face for camera. I would really be interested to see how his channel demographics and views would change if he was a good looking man. But that aside. While I think the guy in the video was angry and arrogant, I wouldn't go so far as to not believe what he said. Casey has shown how inconsiderate he is while traveling and being around others in his videos. You can pick up on that through the screen. What he said about Casey's content is also true. Casey was a film maker, he changed how people film vlogs about everyday life, but he didn't reinvent the wheel. The thing about his relationship. It always came off very forced on film. After listening to their podcast, I don't even know why they are together. That's what I took from the video. I don't know what he was talking about the "upcoming civil war". But I will say this, Youtube is really pumping out some entitled tryhards that complain when they get constructive criticism. Most of their work is mediocre, and they feel like they should be winning awards. If they aren't careful, everything that once made Youtube a unique platform will be gone. It's already started with the need to pimp yourself out for sponsors instead of making content they are proud of and showcases their individuality.

Presence wrote:
horatio wrote:There’s so much wrong with Casey sure but that guy isn’t really saying any of it. Or much of anything at all.
I was inspired to post the video because I've never come across anyone who has actually made a video in which they criticized Casey--to any degree. For a moment, I was a bit in awe.

After I posted the video here, I went back and watched some of his other videos--wanting to get a sense of who this guy is. Yikes. He's extremely angry and, kind of, nuts.

But still, though, I give the guy a bit of credit. On here we're critical of Casey. Most people on his subreddit dislike him. But no one on YT will do a deep dive analysis of his behavior and say anything negative.
Agreed! :tu:

treetown_squirrel
Debater
Debater

I'm really failing to see how 368 is ever going to be anything more than a place for a handful of selected people to create content. Logistically I just don't think it's possible to have it really be a public thing and actually *support* creators.

Like, say Casey plucks a creator from some small town that has great potential as a podcaster and that person flies out to NYC for a short period to use the podcasting studio and record a few episodes. Then what? Do they have recurring access for a period of time? Which prevents other creators from using it. Or is it like a one-time-only situation where you completely lose access to the resources after that? Which would seemingly not be that helpful to a struggling creator.

The genius of Patreon is that people are able to get support for their work without any kind of crazy upfront investment. It would seem to me that unless someone lives in NYC already that doing anything at 368 would require a massive investment for what would likely be very little in return in terms of resources.

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

368 is obviously a business idea developed around a space that Casey had, not the other way around. He didn't think things through and is probably just throwing stuff at the wall, hoping something sticks. I don't think it can become a platform to help too many creators, but it can be a "label" of sorts for Casey, where he signs streamers and creators and whatever, the way Team 10/Clout House/whatever is doing.

Will it work? No idea. Can it work? In theory, yes, but the CNN Beme had much more potential and it still failed under Casey's lack of interest, so, I don't know about this one. Especially since the environment for creators is horrible right now, at least as far as YT ad revenue is concerned.

As for Casey himself, I don't judge him as harshly as some people here, I don't have anything against him nor do I stalk him obsessively like Presence. But I have to say, I am so bored of his content. It feels like the same thing time and time again, it's like he does 3 types of videos over and over and over again, I just got bored. I skipped most of his recent videos and while I won't unsubscribe or ignore him altogether, I feel like he has completely lost me as a viewer.

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

Sorry for the double-post, but someone on Reddit made this, and I think it perfectly illustrates Casey's repetitiveness. Albeit it in an exaggerated way.

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Nun4GretchenWieners »

zathura998 wrote:Hello all! I'm a first time poster long time lurker here at GG I hope to be more active in the future.

I just watched Casey's new video and from what I gather he is basically done with Vlogging and stepping back from YouTube. So, I guess this means 368 is over? Not too disappointed though. The new 368 vlogs just lacked something I can't quite put my finger on. The point is that they sucked. My question is What is he going to do with that 36,000 dollar a month space that is 368. Is the store even open yet? I'm so done with Casey (For the most part). Oh, and according to one of Casey's podcast episodes he is starting yet ANOTHER company with a friend. Where is he getting all this money? I wish the old Casey was around to actually make good vlog's

I agree it really seems to be lacking a concrete business plan. Is he really starting a new company? :roll: I imagine he still has some money from CNN buying Beme, and he also gets paid for the ads does for Samsung, and other companies.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

I know this is trivial but...

Why was Casey in this year's YouTube Rewind video? I get that he's a familiar face, but he didn't do much on YouTube this year.

It's also such an odd thing to see him being in an ensemble group doing comedy (if you want to call it that). It's just so not him.

Post by Guest »

Is there a Dan Mace thread yet?

I agree Casey's content has lost a lot of its charm since 368 butat least we'll always have the old stuff to rewatch. (I still have a huge soft spot for the "my son Owen" video I just think it feels so authentic)

Dan's content went from 100-0 within like...three months. It was really obvious when he was editing for Casey because the colour grading && production values of the first few 368 vlogs were amazing. I was excited to see this guys idea of content. Dude had some amazing concepts (the noises around New York making a song) but then that humankind video was such a let down. And don't get me started on the Audible ad. That's just disrespectful.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

[tweet][/tweet]

The link to that tweet was courtesy of someone on Casey's subreddit.

I wonder, when it comes to people behind the scenes who help with all these projects that die off if they are:

a) just grateful they got to work with Casey for awhile
b) frustrated he never stuck with it
c) understand, with Casey, no project is long-term and they are ambivalent about things ending

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

I was just killing some time on Twitter and went to see what Casey has been up to.

It looks like he took Owen and Frannie to Rhode Island for Christmas while Candice stayed home with the baby. Casey and the kids stayed at a hotel they've been to before. I think I remember it from a July 4th vacation vlog. Candice posted a photo of her chicken wings dinner.

I wonder what the story is behind that. Are they separated? Were they all supposed to go, but Candice decided to stay home? Is she having a hard time adjusting to the second baby?

whatthefamidoing
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by whatthefamidoing »

Presence wrote:I was just killing some time on Twitter and went to see what Casey has been up to.

It looks like he took Owen and Frannie to Rhode Island for Christmas while Candice stayed home with the baby. Casey and the kids stayed at a hotel they've been to before. I think I remember it from a July 4th vacation vlog. Candice posted a photo of her chicken wings dinner.

I wonder what the story is behind that. Are they separated? Were they all supposed to go, but Candice decided to stay home? Is she having a hard time adjusting to the second baby?
Candice wants to still be in her 20s in NYC with celebrities chasing her down to date her. She's realizing she's probably too old to be starting a family, especially if she still has this mindset. She's going to be well into her 60's before her children are really adults. Maybe reality is setting in for her. Either way Casey will push the move to LA, Candice will really feel like a mid 40s mom of young children in a few years, and in a town of young beautiful women. She'll take it out on Casey, as she seems to do with everything, if you listen to the podcast. I can't see them staying together or 368 every figuring out a role in the universe. I miss Casey's early videos. The vlog's really sharpened his skills and got him to post more, but it's beginning to feel methodical and lacks the home made feel his early videos had.

_no_idea_
Learner
Learner

Post by _no_idea_ »

Presence wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
Whaaaaaat a shame! It was my favorite podcast, the only time I saw bits of genuineness online. That woman needs a podcast.

gossipgirl99
Talker
Talker

Post by gossipgirl99 »

[youtube][/youtube]

Return to “Casey Neistat”