Casey Neistat, Part #2

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Casey Neistat, Part #2

Post by Dobrica »

368 is obviously a business idea developed around a space that Casey had, not the other way around. He didn't think things through and is probably just throwing stuff at the wall, hoping something sticks. I don't think it can become a platform to help too many creators, but it can be a "label" of sorts for Casey, where he signs streamers and creators and whatever, the way Team 10/Clout House/whatever is doing.

Will it work? No idea. Can it work? In theory, yes, but the CNN Beme had much more potential and it still failed under Casey's lack of interest, so, I don't know about this one. Especially since the environment for creators is horrible right now, at least as far as YT ad revenue is concerned.

As for Casey himself, I don't judge him as harshly as some people here, I don't have anything against him nor do I stalk him obsessively like Presence. But I have to say, I am so bored of his content. It feels like the same thing time and time again, it's like he does 3 types of videos over and over and over again, I just got bored. I skipped most of his recent videos and while I won't unsubscribe or ignore him altogether, I feel like he has completely lost me as a viewer.

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

Sorry for the double-post, but someone on Reddit made this, and I think it perfectly illustrates Casey's repetitiveness. Albeit it in an exaggerated way.

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Nun4GretchenWieners »

zathura998 wrote:Hello all! I'm a first time poster long time lurker here at GG I hope to be more active in the future.

I just watched Casey's new video and from what I gather he is basically done with Vlogging and stepping back from YouTube. So, I guess this means 368 is over? Not too disappointed though. The new 368 vlogs just lacked something I can't quite put my finger on. The point is that they sucked. My question is What is he going to do with that 36,000 dollar a month space that is 368. Is the store even open yet? I'm so done with Casey (For the most part). Oh, and according to one of Casey's podcast episodes he is starting yet ANOTHER company with a friend. Where is he getting all this money? I wish the old Casey was around to actually make good vlog's

I agree it really seems to be lacking a concrete business plan. Is he really starting a new company? :roll: I imagine he still has some money from CNN buying Beme, and he also gets paid for the ads does for Samsung, and other companies.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

I know this is trivial but...

Why was Casey in this year's YouTube Rewind video? I get that he's a familiar face, but he didn't do much on YouTube this year.

It's also such an odd thing to see him being in an ensemble group doing comedy (if you want to call it that). It's just so not him.

Post by Guest »

Is there a Dan Mace thread yet?

I agree Casey's content has lost a lot of its charm since 368 butat least we'll always have the old stuff to rewatch. (I still have a huge soft spot for the "my son Owen" video I just think it feels so authentic)

Dan's content went from 100-0 within like...three months. It was really obvious when he was editing for Casey because the colour grading && production values of the first few 368 vlogs were amazing. I was excited to see this guys idea of content. Dude had some amazing concepts (the noises around New York making a song) but then that humankind video was such a let down. And don't get me started on the Audible ad. That's just disrespectful.

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

[tweet][/tweet]

The link to that tweet was courtesy of someone on Casey's subreddit.

I wonder, when it comes to people behind the scenes who help with all these projects that die off if they are:

a) just grateful they got to work with Casey for awhile
b) frustrated he never stuck with it
c) understand, with Casey, no project is long-term and they are ambivalent about things ending

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

I was just killing some time on Twitter and went to see what Casey has been up to.

It looks like he took Owen and Frannie to Rhode Island for Christmas while Candice stayed home with the baby. Casey and the kids stayed at a hotel they've been to before. I think I remember it from a July 4th vacation vlog. Candice posted a photo of her chicken wings dinner.

I wonder what the story is behind that. Are they separated? Were they all supposed to go, but Candice decided to stay home? Is she having a hard time adjusting to the second baby?

whatthefamidoing
Wallflower
Wallflower
Been thanked: 0

Post by whatthefamidoing »

Presence wrote:I was just killing some time on Twitter and went to see what Casey has been up to.

It looks like he took Owen and Frannie to Rhode Island for Christmas while Candice stayed home with the baby. Casey and the kids stayed at a hotel they've been to before. I think I remember it from a July 4th vacation vlog. Candice posted a photo of her chicken wings dinner.

I wonder what the story is behind that. Are they separated? Were they all supposed to go, but Candice decided to stay home? Is she having a hard time adjusting to the second baby?
Candice wants to still be in her 20s in NYC with celebrities chasing her down to date her. She's realizing she's probably too old to be starting a family, especially if she still has this mindset. She's going to be well into her 60's before her children are really adults. Maybe reality is setting in for her. Either way Casey will push the move to LA, Candice will really feel like a mid 40s mom of young children in a few years, and in a town of young beautiful women. She'll take it out on Casey, as she seems to do with everything, if you listen to the podcast. I can't see them staying together or 368 every figuring out a role in the universe. I miss Casey's early videos. The vlog's really sharpened his skills and got him to post more, but it's beginning to feel methodical and lacks the home made feel his early videos had.

_no_idea_
Learner
Learner

Post by _no_idea_ »

Presence wrote:[tweet][/tweet]
Whaaaaaat a shame! It was my favorite podcast, the only time I saw bits of genuineness online. That woman needs a podcast.

gossipgirl99
Talker
Talker

Post by gossipgirl99 »

[youtube][/youtube]

snap2it
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by snap2it »

So the majority of parcels Casey has been sent have been stored in a spare studio unopened. Now he just going to sell them on eBay and donate the money to charity.

Why not employ a small team of people for say a month and open and sort everything and then donate it? Surely Casey knows of some people that can do that?

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

No rundown of what "fancy" words Casey tried to use in the comeback episode? I am disappoint! :-P

Presence
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Presence »

This video came up on my Home page:

It sounds like, initially, they had some really good ideas for Beme. It's too bad none of it came to fruition.

Also, this guy mentions meeting Casey at something called Plum TV. According to Wikipedia:

"Plum TV was an American broadcast television network targeted mostly to affluent viewers in the country. The majority of the programming was locally produced largely in affluent vacation communities, marketed towards the mass affluent."

I'm by no means a Casey Neistat superfan--knowing everything about the guy. But I also don't recall him mentioning Plum TV. He always speaks vaguely about his career before the HBO show happened.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Yeah tv for “affluent audiences”? Firstly it doesn’t fit his image as ‘man of the people/ the American (YouTube) dream’ - the high school drop out, washed dishes and lived in a trailer before coming to NYC and working his arse off to get where he is as the king of vlogging.
Also from that synopsis Plum TV sounds like utter wank so I wouldn’t want to be associated with it either!

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

horatio wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 11:41 pm
Yeah tv for “affluent audiences”? Firstly it doesn’t fit his image as ‘man of the people/ the American (YouTube) dream’ - the high school drop out, washed dishes and lived in a trailer before coming to NYC and working his arse off to get where he is as the king of vlogging.
Also from that synopsis Plum TV sounds like utter wank so I wouldn’t want to be associated with it either!
How do you feel about the whole Burger King thing? He can say that it was a joke, but he was salty as hell. His arrogance is so grating.

I feel like Casey thought that being "duped" made him look stupid. He is always trying to prove how intellectual he is, despite being a high school drop out. That's why he made the video and then challenged BK with donating to charity. Of course they are going to donate, they would look like dicks if they didn't. I just don't understand why Casey couldn't have just said "Burger King your marketing was awesome, I wish I had thought of it" and left it at that. I don't know.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Ah maybe I’m naive but I felt he was genuinely impressed and “your marketing was awesome I wish I had thought of it” ultimately WAS what he was saying. The charity element was a bit extra and felt tacked on and I guess you’re right was kind of his way of getting one up on them. I wasn’t so interested in that, but I did enjoy the video. I also agree he has a chip on his shoulder about his education and background which can be tedious but I didn’t think these videos were too bad for that. And In general I thought it was a fun way to recognise what had happened - I usually enjoy his sense of humour tbh.

Nun4GretchenWieners
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

horatio wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:21 pm
Ah maybe I’m naive but I felt he was genuinely impressed and “your marketing was awesome I wish I had thought of it” ultimately WAS what he was saying. The charity element was a bit extra and felt tacked on and I guess you’re right was kind of his way of getting one up on them. I wasn’t so interested in that, but I did enjoy the video. I also agree he has a chip on his shoulder about his education and background which can be tedious but I didn’t think these videos were too bad for that. And In general I thought it was a fun way to recognise what had happened - I usually enjoy his sense of humour tbh.
I can see your point. To me, it just felt very "You used me, and I didn't get anything out of it. So lets even up the score". It felt like he was outsmarted and didn't like it. But again I don't usually watch his video. Thanks for your reply and point of view.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

No worries, thanks for yours too! I am actually glad to hear one that challenges Casey in a fair way - your definetely not going to get that in the comment.

Dobrica
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Dobrica »

So I don't usually go out of my way to analyze Casey, but am I the only one who got a weird vibe from his two-part Super Bowl trip with his "best friend" Joe? It felt so forced and bland. I don't think they like each other as much as they say they do.

I felt nothing from the video, and Casey knows the video was empty, which is why he had to add himself explaining to us what this moment means to Joe.

Return to “Casey Neistat”