Lucy Moon / meowitslucy Part 2

Notveryfunny31
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Lucy Moon / meowitslucy Part 2

Post by Notveryfunny31 »

HaveSomeMilk wrote:'burn out' can happen to anyone regardless of job. Although I think it's more likely that with her job being effectively freelance and from home and her lack of uploading even in 2017 what she was actually experiencing was more like cabin fever.

I'm sure plenty of us have gone through the same kind of thing and I see it time and time again especially with youtubers.

There's no real reason to leave the house on a regular basis. They spend a huge proportion of the day looking at a screen staying within the same 4 walls. It's really bad for your mental health. Really bad. it drives you mad! And Lucy is someone who says she has a past of anxiety and definitely talks about it now, it's not good for that especially. The only reason she has to leave the house regularly is to go out drinking/partying with her mates. Thats not great either for someone with a "alcoholic" past or whatever.

Why this girl with all her bloody self-care ramblings doesn't make it a point to do some exercise 3 times a week minimum is beyond me. It would do her mental state the world of good and she does have that luxury as she doesn't work a traditional 9-5.
I agree with all of this. I'm currently doing school online and it means sometimes I don't get out for a week or two and it's not good for me. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I didn't have parents who cox me outside haha.

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

Notveryfunny31 wrote:
HaveSomeMilk wrote:'burn out' can happen to anyone regardless of job. Although I think it's more likely that with her job being effectively freelance and from home and her lack of uploading even in 2017 what she was actually experiencing was more like cabin fever.

I'm sure plenty of us have gone through the same kind of thing and I see it time and time again especially with youtubers.

There's no real reason to leave the house on a regular basis. They spend a huge proportion of the day looking at a screen staying within the same 4 walls. It's really bad for your mental health. Really bad. it drives you mad! And Lucy is someone who says she has a past of anxiety and definitely talks about it now, it's not good for that especially. The only reason she has to leave the house regularly is to go out drinking/partying with her mates. Thats not great either for someone with a "alcoholic" past or whatever.

Why this girl with all her bloody self-care ramblings doesn't make it a point to do some exercise 3 times a week minimum is beyond me. It would do her mental state the world of good and she does have that luxury as she doesn't work a traditional 9-5.
I agree with all of this. I'm currently doing school online and it means sometimes I don't get out for a week or two and it's not good for me. I can't imagine how much worse it would be if I didn't have parents who cox me outside haha.
Literally same! my mum is my absolute saviour for turning my life around and making me understand that the environment I'm in has a HUGE impact on my mental health.

I think youtubers don't really wanna mention it that much because maybe they'd have to come to terms with the fact that what they are are doing isn't really working for them health wise.

They could still do their youtubing stuff though if they just made a conscious effort to not get sucked into a screen for too long and actually have a routine which includes leaving the house regularly.

cloudcastles
Learner
Learner

Post by cloudcastles »

The picture they used to accompany her case study is hilarious! Pouting and gaping like a fish really does make her look very dense.

Also the bit about making 30 videos a month made me annoyed because like... nobody asked? Doing those challenges isn't compulsory, it's really self-imposed pressure, so don't go blaming 'the algorithm' because you get burnt out from something that you chose to do. And I don't know about you guys, but I can't stand it when youtubers do VEDA (or whatever month it is) anyway, because it either means a) a month of absolutely shit, half-arsed content, or b) like ten days of shit, half-arsed content followed by excuses about why they can't finish it.

Thoughts on the overall article: I don't deny that being a full time youtuber is exhausting (I know I couldn't handle it myself) but I guess I find it hard to take this article seriously because it's just such a privileged job in the first place. Nobody HAS to do it full time. Lucy in particular acts like it's her right to be able to support herself fully from making videos (while living in a expensive, inner-city apartment and buying loads of crap), when it's really such a luxury.

cloudcastles
Learner
Learner

Post by cloudcastles »

Adding on from my previous post (sorry, I just got really into thinking about this), another reason I find it hard to sympathise with Lucy is that it's abundantly clear that she's not on youtube because of a burning, lifelong interest in filmmaking, or music, or fashion, or... anything really. She's there because she saw what being a successful youtuber looked like - fame, adulation, money, free things - and decided she wanted that life. Hard to respect or sympathise with someone who's clearly just in it for the materialistic perks and doesn't care about what they're doing to get there.

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

the article she mentions in her ig stories today

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45115673

Lamour88
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lamour88 »

all the elements that come with running a business - like answering emails, admin and planning future projects.
So she really thinks these are the things people learn to do in business school? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Glad she's made clear what she sees as "running her business".

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

Lamour88 wrote:
all the elements that come with running a business - like answering emails, admin and planning future projects.
So she really thinks these are the things people learn to do in business school? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Glad she's made clear what she sees as "running her business".
Lmao that’s what assistants do, not those running the business (not bad blood towards assistants- I’m one myself and you gotta start somewhere but that’s literally much of what we do).

Tomsand
Learner
Learner

Post by Tomsand »

Lucy Moon? More like Lazy Moon.
She needs to make some serious life changes.

Compellingly vapid
Debater
Debater

Post by Compellingly vapid »

Tomsand wrote:Lucy Moon? More like Lazy Moon.
She needs to make some serious life changes.
Lazy Buffoon

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

We have a new reason for Lucy not uploading!

1. Ill for the fifth time that month
2. Glutened!
3. Hungover
4. Had one meeting and one night out this week and SoOoOo burnt out!
5. Bedroom not inspiring her
6. Pulled back
7. "Feeling really detached from social media this week"
8. Some variation of cutting herself some slack/not pushing herself
9. SO STRESSED OUT!!!
10. Period so now going to take two weeks off and lie in bed
11. "Lost the footage"
12. Editing wasn't aesthetic enough

And finally a new entry:
13. "Lent microphone to friend so can't film anything"

THIS. IS. YOUR. JOB. LUCY.

It's your responsibility to look after your equipment and preplan for eventualities where you may not have it so that you have output for the week

Post by Guest »

holly golightly wrote:We have a new reason for Lucy not uploading!

Realtalk though, why are Youtubers sick all the fucking time? I don't understand how it happens, I don't think my lifestyle is super-super-healthy but I don't even remember the last time I was sick (and I mean properly sick, I don't count minor sniffles as being reason enough to alert the presses and halt all productivity).

Either these dudes have the worst immune systems known to man and should be kept in sterile chambers for the rest of their lives, or they need to stop making dumb excuses for not doing any work.

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

gorillashark wrote:
holly golightly wrote:We have a new reason for Lucy not uploading!

Realtalk though, why are Youtubers sick all the fucking time? I don't understand how it happens, I don't think my lifestyle is super-super-healthy but I don't even remember the last time I was sick (and I mean properly sick, I don't count minor sniffles as being reason enough to alert the presses and halt all productivity).

Either these dudes have the worst immune systems known to man and should be kept in sterile chambers for the rest of their lives, or they need to stop making dumb excuses for not doing any work.
I think they all count minor sniffles as reason enough to write off the day haha

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

Screen Shot 2018-08-19 at 23.35.45.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

witchpaws
Informer
Informer

Post by witchpaws »

I thought she said last week that she had stuff filmed but didn't have the footage cause she gave someone her SD card by accident. So basically all she had to do was get her SD card back and edit and she's still late

aaa123
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by aaa123 »

the bullshit-free translation of that tweet: “hey I know I signed up for this job but I’m on my period for the second time this month and have anxiety! (only when I have a video due though, never when there’s a concert or party I want to go to1!1). so instead of taking some aspirin, grabbing a heating pad, and regularly going to therapy to work on my anxiety issues I’m going to do absolutely nothing to take control of my life and use this exact excuse 3x a month. also I expect not to be penalized for missing important work, in fact I expect to be encouraged to take off time for selfcare (even though we both know I’ll just be sitting in bed taking selfies all day).”

tarian
Learner
Learner

Post by tarian »

YouTubers like Lucy are the ones who give self-care a bad name. Self-care is not always sleeping in, sleep masks or other pampering... Self-care can be paying your bills on time so you do not have to worry about getting kicked out, going to therapy regularly or doing things you should do no matter how hard they may be. Self-care is about taking care of yourself and making sure that you stay alive or life is a little more bearable.

tarian
Learner
Learner

Post by tarian »

YouTubers like Lucy are the ones who give self-care a bad name. Self-care is not always sleeping in, sleep masks or other pampering... Self-care can be paying your bills on time so you do not have to worry about getting kicked out, going to therapy regularly or doing things you should do no matter how hard they may be. Self-care is about taking care of yourself and making sure that you stay alive or life is a little more bearable.

jewelkitty
Talker
Talker

Post by jewelkitty »

Goddammit, I bought a bunch of Muji skincare for the first time the other day as it's on offer, but just saw Lucy's collab with them... Can I get a refund?! :roll: :P

HippoFriend
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by HippoFriend »

So she still didn't upload?

She is always in meetings but does barely any projects resulting from them.

Lamour88
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lamour88 »

So have people been keeping up with Lucy's alcohol fiasco? Basically the BBC came to her flat to interview her for what she assumed would be another 'exclusive profile of super real and relevant and aspirational YouTuber Lucy Moon!', probably hoping she could talk more about burnout and how hard she works, etc..... but the article they put out focused on her alcohol vid and had the headline 'Lucy Moon: I have an alcohol problem'.

Now personally I agree that the headline is unfair and potentially detrimental to her own online reputation so I understand her being upset in that sense... Her or her management contacting the outlet would surely have it changed quickly though-- and it looks like they did.

But she goes on to say that she basically made that video because she had other problems in her life, and her issues with alcohol were actually symptomatic of OTHER deep rooted problems and she's dealt with them and she still drinks now, etc., etc.

Basically-- she doesn't want to be the alcohol poster child because she doesn't think she has a problem, maybe she never even had one.

So there are two possibilities...
(1) She is in denial and has drinking issues

(2) She never really had a serious problem but couldn't deal with being dumped and in classic Lucy style attached herself to a "problem" or health issue and now she's embarrassed because she knows it's not true but that vid still brings her so many views and so much attention that she doesn't want to delete it

I used to think it was #1, but now I'm inclined to #2. Based on her recent behaviour I'm seeing a pattern in Lucy where she needs to have an issue, a thing that's all hers, one that can sometimes even explain her "bad" behaviour and absolve her of guilt. In 2017 it was her apparent raging alcohol problem, then it was chronic burn-out from overworking. She has stomach issues and apparently is gluten free, which is suspect is to explain away her eating/food issues.

Whenever she talks about the alcohol thing now (and sometimes even back then) there's this weird fidgety sense I get from her, like there's a guilt there. It's as though she knew she wasn't ever being quite genuine. I have wondered if she was so distraught at losing her boyfriend, if perhaps their breakup sprang from something she did whilst drunk, that she desperately tried to appeal to him by putting herself out there as a potential alcoholic, and that could explain everything and in effect make her "innocent" of any charges.

Another thing-- Lucy also acts like 'Oh everyone's always bringing up that one old video from 2016'. But in reality, she spent most of 2017 talking about her sobriety and about "screwing up" by having a drink at a party, or about losing clothes on the way home, etc. She used it for her content and she's bored of it now.

Return to “Lucy Moon”