Her Majesty - Jenna Moreci

Hallowsandchess
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Her Majesty - Jenna Moreci

Post by Hallowsandchess »

This is an attempt to make a thread. Idk how it will go.

WanderingWeirdo2
Debater
Debater

Re: Her Majesty - Jenna Moreci

Post by WanderingWeirdo2 »

Everyone complains about her ego, her cliques, her refusal to take criticism, or her books sucking, but my main complaint is anytime I click on one of her videos I immediately have to crank the volume down to 3 so her shrieking muppet voice doesn't cause my eardrums to explode and ooze out of my head.

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

Post by Justanotherreader99 »

My biggest issues are the fact that she doesn’t take her own writing advice, she talks down to her “fan” and followers but isn’t its “snark” it’s just JeNnA being JeNnA the sassy cyborg queen bullshit. Her fans and followers need to wake the fuck up. They must all be children who are blinded by her popularity. Her books are shit, even trashier than Cortney’s romance novels. Toby has the personality of road kill, Leila is mentally unstable if not outright insane. They relationship is instalove. There is absolutely nothing likeable about them. If people don’t believe me read all three of her books and then watch all her troupe videos, you’ll see it loud and clear. She started out as a snarky bitch and is switching gears to come off as likable and adorable. It’s gross. But this just goes to show you that popularity trumps talent every time.

GGglam
Learner
Learner

Post by GGglam »

re: the voice. I listened to that interview she did with the horror author but I didn't watch the video, and her voice just got deeper and derpier the more she kissed ass.

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

Because her lives are the real unscripted Jenna. The awkward girl trying too hard. I couldn’t bring myself to watch it. I bet she’ll compare how she pulled everything horror off in TSC and TSS and promoted the hell out of her shit, which is her MO. Never heard of the guy she was talking with, but I’d put money on her meeting him through Sacha Black. Once meeting her, Jenna suddenly had a new inner circle.

May14159
Informer
Informer

Post by May14159 »

Every time the horror guy mentioned a tip or something he did, she responded with a pitch about her book and how she did it so well. I was so fed up, like shut up i wanna hear this guy talk, not you saying the saviors sister another time

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

The Savior’s Sister is by far the worst book I’ve read this year. I’m not even trying to be snarky about it. It’s terrible. No it’s beyond terrible. Jenna’s CP’s and beta’s should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Jenna to publish that rushed poorly edited first draft. It’s almost embarrassing. How in the hell did Jenna think TSS was anywhere near ready?

Have any of you read it? If not check out the GoodReads reviews. There are plenty of one star reviews and a few people have been making highlights. In the next few months all the real reviews will come out and hopefully bury all the 5 stars from her fans, betas, CP’s, and and biased arc reviews which are more than likely fans of hers so who would review the book unbiasedly?

WanderingWeirdo2
Debater
Debater

Post by WanderingWeirdo2 »

I just went over to goodreads for some reviews, and the one talking about how she writes her sex scenes has me in stitches. “She grabbed his waistband, ready to set him free, to unleash his beast, to behold his cock for the first time.”

That's some straight up grocery line trash romance descriptions lmao.

Asdf_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by Asdf_lurker »

Justanotherreader99 wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:23 pm
The Savior’s Sister is by far the worst book I’ve read this year. I’m not even trying to be snarky about it. It’s terrible. No it’s beyond terrible. Jenna’s CP’s and beta’s should be ashamed of themselves for allowing Jenna to publish that rushed poorly edited first draft. It’s almost embarrassing. How in the hell did Jenna think TSS was anywhere near ready?

Have any of you read it? If not check out the GoodReads reviews. There are plenty of one star reviews and a few people have been making highlights. In the next few months all the real reviews will come out and hopefully bury all the 5 stars from her fans, betas, CP’s, and and biased arc reviews which are more than likely fans of hers so who would review the book unbiasedly?
If the book is that trash the only one who should be ashamed of themselves is Jenna.

Betas and CPs give advice they cannot make the author follow that advice. The majority of them are probably not being paid for said advice either and they spend hours - twice to four times the amount of time it would take you to normally read the book - going through an authors manuscript especially if they are doing it throughly.

The only reason a beta should be ashamed of themself in this situation is if they lied to Jenna about the quality of her work to stroke her ego or they are putting false positive reviews up.

But ultimately, Jenna is the one responsible for the quality of her work not her betas or cps. Let’s just keep the blame where it should be directed at.

GGglam
Learner
Learner

Post by GGglam »

I believe there is something off with her critique process. She has spoken before about using 20+ beta readers, and I may be misremembering something about 50 of them. She made the process sound so complicated and hard. I am so glad I read part of TSC because it confirmed that even though she overworked her critiques, it didn't result in quality writing.

OneMoreMessyReader
Talker
Talker

Post by OneMoreMessyReader »

I thought Jenna took teo years to write TSS?

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

True but a lot of Jenna’s CP’s and Betas are her close writing friends. People like Meg, Shacha Black, Erin kinsella, Steve partridge, Hannah Lee kidder, Mandi Lynn, and Bella rose Pope. There are more but I honestly can’t remember or keep up with all of them. I highly doubt they are sitting Jenna down telling them, “your book needs a lot of work and this is how to fix it.” Jenna surrounds herself with yes men. These people are the least likely to give real and honest feedback.

And I agree, I should have stated that Jenna is the one who calls the shots of what to change or keep. But what if her CP’s and Betas aren’t telling the truth since they’re biased readers?

We’ll never know the truth because Jenna only posts the “omg you are a writing genius! I never saw that twist coming and toby and Leila are major couples goals!”

All we see is a bunch of ass kissing to hype up the book even before it’s out. Shit we’re seeing Meg trying to do the exact same thing with TCT. One of her IG post reviews is literally comping the hunger games to TCT so now I’m expecting some sort of fight to the death challenge and if it doesn’t deliver them this is just proof that they used it as a marketing ploy like Jenna used “respect the labyrinth, obey the labyrinth.” As a marketing tool and that’s it. It’s tricking readers and is highly unethical, by my standards.

Asdf_lurker
Learner
Learner

Post by Asdf_lurker »

Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:28 pm
True but a lot of Jenna’s CP’s and Betas are her close writing friends. People like Meg, Shacha Black, Erin kinsella, Steve partridge, Hannah Lee kidder, Mandi Lynn, and Bella rose Pope. There are more but I honestly can’t remember or keep up with all of them. I highly doubt they are sitting Jenna down telling them, “your book needs a lot of work and this is how to fix it.” Jenna surrounds herself with yes men. These people are the least likely to give real and honest feedback.

And I agree, I should have stated that Jenna is the one who calls the shots of what to change or keep. But what if her CP’s and Betas aren’t telling the truth since they’re biased readers?

We’ll never know the truth because Jenna only posts the “omg you are a writing genius! I never saw that twist coming and toby and Leila are major couples goals!”

All we see is a bunch of ass kissing to hype up the book even before it’s out. Shit we’re seeing Meg trying to do the exact same thing with TCT. One of her IG post reviews is literally comping the hunger games to TCT so now I’m expecting some sort of fight to the death challenge and if it doesn’t deliver them this is just proof that they used it as a marketing ploy like Jenna used “respect the labyrinth, obey the labyrinth.” As a marketing tool and that’s it. It’s tricking readers and is highly unethical, by my standards.
Ultimately it comes down to it for me that Jenna is choosing her betas for the exact quality that they are biased, because she doesn't want critique she wants her ego stroked. They are either her clique or her fans and while there may be one or two people giving her honest advice the vast majority are just there to stroke her ego and probably also there for her to more easily dismiss the actual good critique. Her clique definitely deserves the criticisms that your laying out them, but her fan betas don't, Jenna was just using them as tools to get early good reviews and it shows.

**edit: typo

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

What you said makes sense. I actually didn’t look at it that way. I think I’m still just annoyed at how bad TSS is compared tonTSC.

Nekroza
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Nekroza »

Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:02 pm
Her fans and followers need to wake the fuck up. They must all be children who are blinded by her popularity.
I've seen this statement numerous times here and it needs to be corrected. People don't like Jenna Moreci because she's popular, she's popular BECAUSE people like her. Why do so many people like her? She's attractive, funny, and by far the most charismatic personality on authortube. Also, her videos are well put together without being over-produced or gimmicky. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out why she's so popular.

Her writing advice is pretty simplistic and repetitive though, but that's ok, she's aiming for a newbie audience I think. Having said that, I do understand why some people don't like her. Her personality clearly brushes some people the wrong way. There's also lots of people who like her videos but don't like her books. Not everyone likes the same things, it doesn't mean anyone needs to "wake the fuck up."

fishfingers101
Talker
Talker

Post by fishfingers101 »

Nekroza wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:35 pm
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:02 pm
Her fans and followers need to wake the fuck up. They must all be children who are blinded by her popularity.
I've seen this statement numerous times here and it needs to be corrected. People don't like Jenna Moreci because she's popular, she's popular BECAUSE people like her. Why do so many people like her? She's attractive, funny, and by far the most charismatic personality on authortube. Also, her videos are well put together without being over-produced or gimmicky. It really doesn't take a genius to figure out why she's so popular.

Her writing advice is pretty simplistic and repetitive though, but that's ok, she's aiming for a newbie audience I think. Having said that, I do understand why some people don't like her. Her personality clearly brushes some people the wrong way. There's also lots of people who like her videos but don't like her books. Not everyone likes the same things, it doesn't mean anyone needs to "wake the fuck up."
You clearly don't understand the purpose of a gossip forum. You're obviously a fan. No need to go on the defence.

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

I’m way more annoyed at the fact that she NEVER takes her own advice when it comes to her videos. It has become blatantly clear that she’s only doing this for views. Claim you hate all the tropes and then still have them in your books. One or two would be okay. But she has SO many.

For example, in her most hated tropes about villains she claims to hate the villain monologue at the end of the story where they reveal their master plan to the MC. She has that in all of her books. She talks about a book needing well rounded characters, get in each of her books is a Gary Stu or Mary Sue. They’re perfect in every way imaginable. Even their flaws are seen as perfect traits. I understand she’s doing the hero’s journey, but you also need to create a good story.

Her advice is just surface level info people can google on their own. I get that she is doing it for newer writers, but it isn’t all that great advice. She’s doesn’t actually go into details. She just says the trope, then says a few snarky lines and that’s it. She doesn’t offer ways to subvert it or how to potentially make it work. Even in her positive trope videos she doesn’t admit she uses them or offers examples of how to pull them off.

I think that’s honestly why I unsub and stopped watching her.

BubblegumPop47
Stalker
Stalker

Post by BubblegumPop47 »

Honestly what made me unsubscribe is how repetitive her content has been. There's nothing wrong with remaking an old video if it's outdated or if you just feel like you could do it better now. But nearly all of Jenna's latest advice videos have been repeats of her old content. I understand that there's a limited number of topics out there, but if she's out of ideas, she should just admit it.

Justanotherreader99
Debater
Debater

Yet people still hold her up on a pedestal like she’s some writing god. There are much better options for writing advice that actually teaches you about writing. Jenna just gives a generic list of things that she doesn’t follow in her writing.

Parzival
Learner
Learner

Post by Parzival »

I have some personal issues with Jenna, but my main problem with her content is that I really dislike people giving writing "commands," ESPECIALLY when their content is geared primarily toward new writers.

I'll be honest, I used to love Jenna. I was a huge fan. But not so much anymore. I'm a more experienced writer now, and I really strongly dislike when other writers preach their word as if it's gospel. This is the main issue I have with Jenna. She says everything as facts, and she is so often just completely wrong.

I've made two videos myself responding to some of her false statements, but one in particular really baffled the heck out of me. In one of her videos about past vs present tense, she said that one of the cons to present tense is that you can't skip forward in time easily and "nobody wants to watch your character go to the bathroom or brush their teeth." She made this claim (as usual) with such confidence and authority that tons of newbie authors in the comments were saying how glad they were that they saw her video, because they wanted to write their book in present tense, but now they know better. This just downright infuriated me a bit. The fact that these new authors are now going to write in past tense, even though it's entirely possible that present tense is a better fit for them, because of completely untrue information that Jenna has stated as if it's fact, is incredibly sad to me.

First off, has Jenna never read The Hunger Games? Because it's in present tense, and last time I checked, we never have to watch Katniss go to the bathroom or brush her teeth.

And secondly, how on earth does she not understand that you can skip forward in time in present tense just as easily as you can in past? Example:

Past:
I grabbed a quick breakfast and rushed out the door. When I got to school, Lily was waiting for me by my locker.

Present:
I grab a quick breakfast and rush out the door. When I get to school, Lily is waiting for me by my locker.

Like... it's really that simple.

And then after this claim, she mentioned in another video that she hates present tense and doesn't read it. After she just did an entire video about the pros and cons of writing in present tense. That kind of crap drives me crazy. There are so many writing topics I have never discussed on my channel because I don't really know much about them. I can't imagine making a whole video about how to do something that I've never done and openly admit I don't like it and don't even read books that have done it.

Return to “BookTube”