Talker
Talker

Re: Booktubers part 6

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

BooksandTea wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:18 am
BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:11 pm
Hey, does anyone have any recommendations for SFF booktubers who read authors besides Brandon Sanderson, Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie, and Geroge R.R. Martin? The most popular SFF reviewers are good, but they all seem to read the same books by the same authors and I need more variety in my recommendations.

If you know of anyone who focuses on SFF by authors of color, female authors or queer authors that would be really nice too!
Rachel is great for that, her channel is Kalanadi. She reads sff really widely and aims to read diversely, plus translated fiction.
Thanks for the recommendation! I started binging her videos and this was exactly what I was looking for.

BasicBooktuber1
Talker
Talker

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

JamHands9 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:31 pm
BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:11 pm
Hey, does anyone have any recommendations for SFF booktubers who read authors besides Brandon Sanderson, Mark Lawrence, Joe Abercrombie, and Geroge R.R. Martin? The most popular SFF reviewers are good, but they all seem to read the same books by the same authors and I need more variety in my recommendations.

If you know of anyone who focuses on SFF by authors of color, female authors or queer authors that would be really nice too!

StarlahReads is good for SFF with author of colors, queer, and likely women too :)
I like her personality as well.
Yeah, I really like Starlah's videos, she has great reviews. I've been watching her since December so this was a spot-on recommendation.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

jabba13 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:47 pm
oh_do_tell wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:15 pm
jabba13 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am
fennecreads wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 am
iimmonet wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:19 pm

She shades other booktubers about diversity and how they don’t read diversely or talk about it. Yet she doesn’t even read diverse books. She can probably count on one hand the amount of books she read with a black man character. Her excuse would be how there isn’t any for her to read, there’s a lot you just don’t read them cause they’re not hyped on booktube.
She honestly has the amount of subscribers she has because of leeching onto more popular booktubers (then peeling out after getting in fights) and talking about diversity during periods when diversity was being discussed. IE the girl who was wearing the kimono reaction video.
Yeah I think after her video about the hate u give and other controversies her channel blew up somewhat. I also think a lot of these newer booktubers hang onto their more popular friends and get a ton of subscribers from getting shout outs but then the views on their videos never fully reflect that. This new age of YA booktube kind of annoys me, it seems like people are more interested in being the next big booktube clique than actually reading and discussing books.
That's why only original big booktubers still have huge numbers and rarely any new ones succeed (I think Cindy and Daniel Green are ones who gained 100k very fast).
was thinking that too I know people have mixed views on Cindy and Daniel but I wasn’t surprised when they got to 100k and I tend to enjoy their content. Chandler Ainsley, Jesse from Bowties & Books, and Mara (sp?) from bookslikewhoa are people I think could or should hit 100k.
I don't watch Chandler Ainsley and Jesse from Bowties & Books, but I have tried bookslikewhoa because someone recommended her here and I do like her videos, I'm just annoyed by her intro "Oh Helo ..." I don't know why hahaha but it's enough for me not to rush to watch her videos because of that :roll:

candycide
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by candycide »

i've tried watching the book roast before because i love her magical readathon ideas but oooomg all she does are unboxings. so many unboxings. literally every single box ever. where the heck does she put all that garbage?

hxgsandkxssxs
Informer
Informer

Post by hxgsandkxssxs »

I think it’s GREAT to see Merphy putting CC on her videos - I’m not deaf or hard of hearing, but I think it’s lovely.

And I know I frequently come on here to wag a finger at the book community, but I‘m very glad to hear that Emily Fox has found solace on BookTube after her surgery. She’s tweeted about receiving awful comments about her appearance on her Beauty channel quite a few times now, and with all the change she went through last year, I can’t help but feel terribly sorry for her.

laurasommeils
Informer
Informer

Post by laurasommeils »

hxgsandkxssxs wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:33 am
I think it’s GREAT to see Merphy putting CC on her videos - I’m not deaf or hard of hearing, but I think it’s lovely.

And I know I frequently come on here to wag a finger at the book community, but I‘m very glad to hear that Emily Fox has found solace on BookTube after her surgery. She’s tweeted about receiving awful comments about her appearance on her Beauty channel quite a few times now, and with all the change she went through last year, I can’t help but feel terribly sorry for her.
I feel the same way about Emily, I'm so mad that people think it's ok to make those types of comments, recovering from surgery is though enough without all that added shit they're giving her (and I'm saying it as someone who had Bell's syndrome and couldn't move the left side of her face for a year and a half, so I understand her when she talks about recovering more mobility in her face slowly). And yes, I've seen those tweets, and I can't believe the kind of people who write that kind of stuff exists or that she has to deal with it every time she uploads a video. It also must be frustrating that she feels her make up channel isn't a safe place because it's something she's been doing for years, and people are ruining for her.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

jabba13 wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am
fennecreads wrote:
Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:22 am
iimmonet wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:19 pm
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:17 pm
Myonna talks about diversity to get attention but she doesn't actually care about diversity. She barely reads books by black authors. Not even the arcs she gets. She's like the Teala Dunn of Booktube.
She shades other booktubers about diversity and how they don’t read diversely or talk about it. Yet she doesn’t even read diverse books. She can probably count on one hand the amount of books she read with a black man character. Her excuse would be how there isn’t any for her to read, there’s a lot you just don’t read them cause they’re not hyped on booktube.
She honestly has the amount of subscribers she has because of leeching onto more popular booktubers (then peeling out after getting in fights) and talking about diversity during periods when diversity was being discussed. IE the girl who was wearing the kimono reaction video.
Yeah I think after her video about the hate u give and other controversies her channel blew up somewhat. I also think a lot of these newer booktubers hang onto their more popular friends and get a ton of subscribers from getting shout outs but then the views on their videos never fully reflect that. This new age of YA booktube kind of annoys me, it seems like people are more interested in being the next big booktube clique than actually reading and discussing books.
I agree you really have to wade through booktubers to find the ones that are actually interested in reading and talking about books.

Post by Guest »

It kind of annoys me to see some booktubers get really popular books ARCs. Especially when the “booktubers” don’t really do anything book related or post a books in general. Most of the time the ARC is sent to get hype from the followers but they usually don’t follow up with a review. Most of the popular booktubers just want the book to say they have it early and that’s basically it. I need to find more booktubers who give decent reviews or actually make book related content pretty regularly.

TheBookishBabe

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Bookieslove23 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 am
It kind of annoys me to see some booktubers get really popular books ARCs. Especially when the “booktubers” don’t really do anything book related or post a books in general. Most of the time the ARC is sent to get hype from the followers but they usually don’t follow up with a review. Most of the popular booktubers just want the book to say they have it early and that’s basically it. I need to find more booktubers who give decent reviews or actually make book related content pretty regularly.
It annoys me when I see booktubers showing off their arcs just to show they have arcs but they don't read them. Someone else willing to read and review that story could've gotten that arc instead. I read all my arcs and have my review ready prior to release so I can promote accordingly.

The Artisan Geek did a really cool Kingdom of Souls review recently that I enjoyed. Very creative intro.

squirkle
Talker
Talker

Post by squirkle »

I do like zoeereads but she wants to be booksandlala so much that her content is just identical. Same video types, reads the same books. This has been the case right from the start of Zoe’s channel. Her newer vlogs have started to include ‘in this video’ clips at the start too ... just like Lala. I get it, Lala is successful and creative but you have to find your own style. Be inspired by creators you admire, don’t outright copy.

LowKeyBangtanTrash
Learner
Learner

Post by LowKeyBangtanTrash »

Speaking of lala, does anyone have any recs for others who read similarly to her? I tend to read a mix of genres but most booktubers I've found are genre specific, like only fantasy or only romance or only YA. I am really attracted to lala's videos because she really does mix it up and also pushes herself to read outside her comfort zone.

Also do you guys have any recs for how to keep up with new releases that aren't YA? Last year I decided to read all of the nominees for the Goodreads Debut book award and while it was a super fun challenge, it would have been nice if I had read a few before hand so I didn't cram 10+ books in a few weeks haha.

Edit to add: for me I am interested in adult literary fiction, lgbtq themes, and the occasional post apocalyptic/horror/thriller.
Last edited by LowKeyBangtanTrash on Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

soup---eater
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by soup---eater »

squirkle wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:47 am
I do like zoeereads but she wants to be booksandlala so much that her content is just identical. Same video types, reads the same books. This has been the case right from the start of Zoe’s channel. Her newer vlogs have started to include ‘in this video’ clips at the start too ... just like Lala. I get it, Lala is successful and creative but you have to find your own style. Be inspired by creators you admire, don’t outright copy.
Has she even posted anything recently? I know for sure it's been a few months since I've seen her in my subscriptions feed (though tbf, the sub feed is always glitching or just not showing certain new videos)

squirkle
Talker
Talker

Post by squirkle »

soup---eater wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:43 am
squirkle wrote:
Has she even posted anything recently? I know for sure it's been a few months since I've seen her in my subscriptions feed (though tbf, the sub feed is always glitching or just not showing certain new videos)
She’s been fairly quiet in February, she just posted a contemporaryathon vlog about an hour or so ago though which prompted me to make that post then.

Oh do you mean readbyzoe? No she’s been gone for months. She does post a bit then disappears then comes back. I love her content so wish she was more consistent.

soup---eater
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by soup---eater »

squirkle wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:50 am
soup---eater wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:43 am
squirkle wrote:
She’s been fairly quiet in February, she just posted a contemporaryathon vlog about an hour or so ago though which prompted me to make that post then.

Oh do you mean readbyzoe? No she’s been gone for months. She does post a bit then disappears then comes back. I love her content so wish she was more consistent.
I was talking about readbyzoe, what you said about the other Zoe copying Lala makes a lot more sense now :rofl:

laurasommeils
Informer
Informer

Post by laurasommeils »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:32 pm
Bookieslove23 wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:08 am
It annoys me when I see booktubers showing off their arcs just to show they have arcs but they don't read them. Someone else willing to read and review that story could've gotten that arc instead. I read all my arcs and have my review ready prior to release so I can promote accordingly.

The Artisan Geek did a really cool Kingdom of Souls review recently that I enjoyed. Very creative intro.
I remember when Hailey got set all those Neal Shusterman books, I think including an arc of Scythe, and then never paid it much attention until she did that club with the other two booktubers. Or when she even said she wasn't interested in the sequel of Strange the dreamer but got an arc anyways.
I find it kind of shitty when they request the arc and then don't read it and review it before release, I understand not paying that much attention to unsolicited ones, you didn't ask for it, it's somewhat ok. But if you're requesting the arc I think you agree to read it and review it before it gets published because that's the whole point of arcs, specially if they're giving them only to the people who have large followings.

audiobooks
Learner
Learner

Post by audiobooks »

squirkle wrote:
The "in this video..." thing is a very common video editing technique though...
LowKeyBangtanTrash wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:40 am
Speaking of lala, does anyone have any recs for others who read similarly to her? I tend to read a mix of genres but most booktubers I've found are genre specific, like only fantasy or only romance or only YA. I am really attracted to lala's videos because she really does mix it up and also pushes herself to read outside her comfort zone.

Also do you guys have any recs for how to keep up with new releases that aren't YA? Last year I decided to read all of the nominees for the Goodreads Debut book award and while it was a super fun challenge, it would have been nice if I had read a few before hand so I didn't cram 10+ books in a few weeks haha.

Edit to add: for me I am interested in adult literary fiction, lgbtq themes, and the occasional post apocalyptic/horror/thriller.
In Lala's "reading booktuber favourite books of 2019" video she mentions the booktubers who people think read the most similarly to her, she even breaks down which genres they have similar or different tastes in. The ones mentioned were: ellias, myreadingisodd, gabbyreads, chealsedolling reads, zoeereads.

The best way I've found is to just regularly check the most popular books of the month on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/popular_ ... 0/February You can also view most popular books by year.
I ended up already read 7 of the GR choice awards winners from 2019 when winners were announced.

LowKeyBangtanTrash
Learner
Learner

audiobooks wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 am
squirkle wrote:

In Lala's "reading booktuber favourite books of 2019" video she mentions the booktubers who people think read the most similarly to her, she even breaks down which genres they have similar or different tastes in. The ones mentioned were: ellias, myreadingisodd, gabbyreads, chealsedolling reads, zoeereads.

The best way I've found is to just regularly check the most popular books of the month on Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/popular_ ... 0/February You can also view most popular books by year.
I ended up already read 7 of the GR choice awards winners from 2019 when winners were announced.
oooh thanks for the tip! I've tried a few videos from my reading is odd and chealsedolling reads but I haven't given them a solid chance. And I'll def look at that goodreads list! If I could read even half the debut books before the awards are announced that would be great.

LowKeyBangtanTrash
Learner
Learner

.....I did just start watching Lala's video and one of Elias's top books was Serpent & Dove which was one of the worst things I've ever read. So idk how well this is going to go hahaha

ZeroFsGiven
Learner
Learner

Post by ZeroFsGiven »

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:32 pm
audiobooks wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:53 am
squirkle wrote:

oooh thanks for the tip! I've tried a few videos from my reading is odd and chealsedolling reads but I haven't given them a solid chance. And I'll def look at that goodreads list! If I could read even half the debut books before the awards are announced that would be great.
Lala has a playlist too of similar booktubers : inc. Ali Hardback Hoarder, Rachael Marie << Small channel but pretty active on booktuber, and Books with emily fox etc.

Post by Guest »

What’s with Cassandra Clare? She posted about people reading illegal copies of her new book that’s out on the 3rd. However, people are trashing her in the copies. Is there past drama with her or something? I’m not a fan of her books so I don’t know lol

Return to “BookTube”