Authortube - Part 2

Re: Authortube - Part 2

Post by Guest »

Also, haha, just listened to the companion podcast episode and I know not everyone is like me, but man...I don’t play the comparison game much at all. And I don’t wake up running through the days to-do list.

And then this Bon Jovi lyric popped in my head from Something for the Pain...

“I don’t need no guru to tell me what to do!”

Maybe some folks do and I’m not making fun. I just love that that’s what popped in my head when she started talking about not looking at social media or whatever first thing in the morning like she’s the first person to figure it out. Duh. If something is stressing you out, stop doing it. My good friend Jon knows, lol.

Post by Guest »

I'm only about 7 minutes into her video and LMAO. We got confirmation that she reads this forum, and she's trying so desperately to guilt us into not talking about her or giving her videos negative comments and thumbs down. If we feel bad about ourselves and leave her alone then she can continue scamming people in her own bubble of light and harmony.

This current gimmick she's got going is almost scary. She's acting like she's on speed and it's so unnatural I feel like I'm watching a spoof video. Notice that she's pretending this is who she has always been and it might be surprising to some people? I feel like that's a direct response to us saying she's faking it.

This shit reminds me of being a kid and how you change what you want to be when you grow up over and over again. Watch a space movie? I want to be an astronaut! Watch a biopic on a singer? Now I want to sing! Kristen clearly was feeling depressed and watched some Rachel Hollis thing (I still have never seen a second of her) and then immediately wanted to be like her.

Post by Guest »

Omg, what is this?? Is this literally her saying “I know you are, but what am I??”
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post by Guest »

Ok, finished watching. She goes on a rant about why she charges for her courses, and there is so much hostility in her voice and eyes. This chick is not enlightened or healed. She crazy.

She keeps calling her "haters" confused supporters. Like...no, bitch. This isn't us thinking a pop star sucks, this is us going against an actual scam artist who has duped people out of hundreds and thousands of dollars. You cannot write those people off as "haters" or a "child".

And now she's an empath? She's a robot! haahhaha I'm sorry I'm practically live tweeting this, but there's so much (FREE!) content in this that I can't stop laughing.

Lyra Leonhardt
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by Lyra Leonhardt »

I feel like at this point we need a dedicated Kristen thread but idk where it would even go? Like she's not exactly relevant to authortube/booktube anymore, but she's also not exactly gaining any new followers through this whole lightworker grift either.

Also what's the standard way to view a video without giving the creator the views these days? I would very much like to watch the foulFLOW train crash into a pile of concertina'd scrap metal but y'know, don't want to accidentally validate her delusions either.

SisterSquid
Lurker
Lurker
Been thanked: 0

Post by SisterSquid »

hrh333 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:25 am
Just watched the new YouTube video and you know, maybe there’s some truth to what she says about “confused supporters”. She’s right. I was a supporter. I looked up to her. And now I am VERY confused. I admire people who can admit when they’re wrong, when they’ve made a misstep, when they’ve lost sight of what they set out to do.

Kristen Martin continues to not be one of those types of people.

But with every podcast and YouTube video, I hope that maybe this is the one where she comes clean, comes back to earth, talks about all this like a normal human being.

But she hasn’t. So I guess she’s right, but not in the way she thinks. I am 1000% a very confused, very disappointed supporter holding out hope that she rights all of this.

She also mentioned a future video about "Spilling the Tea" all about herself. She mentions owning all the criticisms and struggles. I'm curious as to what that video is going to be all about. Probably mostly about her "confused supporters." If she even wants to go there cause we know she's not going to mention any of the real tea.

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

Okay, so I had to watch the video after seeing your comments. Not even 3 minutes in and thinking it seriously is like she’s on drugs lol she is unnaturally hyped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyra Leonhardt
Learner
Learner

Post by Lyra Leonhardt »

Okay so I bit the bullet and watched the thing. I guess that means my soul is beautiful now. A few stray observations:

- It takes about 10 minutes before she reaches what is ostensibly the point of the video
- Terrible dancing gets worse when you have to bend to keep it in frame, who would've thought
- The whole manic energy thing is... well idk what she was aiming for but it reads as someone who is trying so very hard to convince themselves of what they're saying more so than they're trying to convince other people
- All the examples she uses for her Whole 4 thing are her own struggles with Teh Haterz. The empathic creative couldn't think of other examples that might be applicable to a broader audience? This whole spirituality kick is so transparent an effort to reframe the valid criticism she's received in a way that aligns with her self image.
- The venom when she was talking about selling her course for money. lol. Why let the words of confused supporters hit so hard girl?

As for the actual content, the Whole 4 stuff is super base level shit that would come up in your first couple sessions with any decent therapist. It should go without saying at this point, but if you're having a rough go of it don't pay for Kristen's shit. Pay for an actual licensed therapist.

Post by Guest »

Lyra Leonhardt wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 am
Okay so I bit the bullet and watched the thing. I guess that means my soul is beautiful now. A few stray observations:

- It takes about 10 minutes before she reaches what is ostensibly the point of the video
- Terrible dancing gets worse when you have to bend to keep it in frame, who would've thought
- The whole manic energy thing is... well idk what she was aiming for but it reads as someone who is trying so very hard to convince themselves of what they're saying more so than they're trying to convince other people
- All the examples she uses for her Whole 4 thing are her own struggles with Teh Haterz. The empathic creative couldn't think of other examples that might be applicable to a broader audience? This whole spirituality kick is so transparent an effort to reframe the valid criticism she's received in a way that aligns with her self image.
- The venom when she was talking about selling her course for money. lol. Why let the words of confused supporters hit so hard girl?

As for the actual content, the Whole 4 stuff is super base level shit that would come up in your first couple sessions with any decent therapist. It should go without saying at this point, but if you're having a rough go of it don't pay for Kristen's shit. Pay for an actual licensed therapist.
I agree with all of this, but especially the part about the dancing, lol. I noticed it yesterday when she posted the sneak peak in her Insta stories. Bending down to stay in frame seems REAAAAAL authentic. Also, if she’s learned so much to figure out filming videos...aren’t there better ways to capture dancing like that where she wouldn’t seem so desperate and narcissistic for trying to keep her face in frame?

nutmegskies
Learner
Learner

Post by nutmegskies »

I watched the video and just... ugh.

The thing that annoyed me most was 'when I see a hate comment I just think that that person is hurting and I have to help them'. She's brushing off valid points, not because the point is bad but because there is something inherently wrong with the person sending it. People can be 'hurting' and still make valid points. And of course she's the one to fix it, just pay an exuberant amount of money on worksheets! Her only way to defend herself is to try and make everyone else look wrong. Ugh, I don't know if this makes sense but jfc man

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

The whole video had me like

It truly made me like her even less. The only way I would believe this attitude she’s trying to pull off is legit is if she comes out and admits her past content is crap and says she wants to do better.

The rant about her haters being confused supporters and comparing it to her hate for cauliflower is just a major eye role. If I love watching watching crime shows and tell my girlfriends about the crazy shit I saw, doesn’t mean I’m a closeted supporter of murder.

Post by Guest »

I used to watch her for the lulz, but this video made me genuinely dislike her. I always thought she was just a dumbass scammer. Now, she seems mentally deranged. She really thinks her "haters" (aka people warning others about her sliminess) are in need of her counsel and that she can save us. Kristen is a straight up loon. Like she wants to start her own cult.

Her career is going to crash and burn so hard. The only fans she has are the ones that are there for her writing, and now that's gone.

nothing_much
Debater
Debater

Post by nothing_much »

She literally admits that when others voice criticisms, her method of "dealing with it" is looking at the statement and thinking, "What makes this untrue? Am I really like this? No not at all. They must be wrong."

So... she doesn't take criticism at all. Doesn't self-reflect or ask herself how she could improve. She just simply denies denies denies and then moves on and insists that she's the best smartest most wealthiest non-greedy wonderful perfect girl on the planet. LOL

More insane things she said/did in this video:
-dancing (lords can we even call it dancing? it was like... bouncing and bending over?? like lumiere the candelabra trying to twerk)
-acting incredibly hyper (near-yelling, wide eyed, fast-talking, unhinged blathering) but for real is she on drugs?
-the clapping and snapping near constantly. I'm not familiar with Rachel Hollis but I'm guessing this whole pseudo-cheerleader energy is a piss-poor imitation of Miss Hollis. I'm sorry to inform Kristen but people are insanely good at spotting inauthenticity and all of your mannerisms that you adopted overnight which you claim to be the "real Kristen" are just dead giveaways.
-Its hilarious that she keeps says "welcome to my channel if you're new here" but there's clearly no new subscribers watching. Her videos average like 1k - 2k views. With a 36k audience? That is a god-awful engagement rate.
-she refers to her OWN podcast as "fire". I understand plugging your own content but geez, toot your own horn much? She is so full of herself. And delusional. unless she's defining "fire" as manic and totally devoid of substance.
-Regurgitating self-help terms like "living in her power", "owning her past, present & future, "standing in her truth". very inspirational. But what does any of that mean exactly? The world may never know because she just says it and moves on without explanation. I doubt she even knows. She just thinks it sounds spiritual so let's shoehorn that into our brand.
-Says she wants to talk about the "hard things" but never states any examples of what the hard things are. She touches on the whole 4 challenge and what the w's are (wellness, wealth, wonder &... woo?? Idk I forgot the last w- doesn't matter, they're all synonyms of each other). But she never states what gets in the way of those W's. so... off to a great start with this "course".
-She claims that women all over the world are struggling with the same things and NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT. but here comes Kristen our glorious leader to come save the day and talk about ALL THE THINGS (she never says what things). Also, just a side note, she says she learned about this problem at Rachel Hollis' RISE conference so in theory... isn't everyone at that conference talking about it? Isn't Rachel Hollis already doing that? Why does Kristen think she can do a better job and reach more people? Not that I'm pro-Rachel Hollis but its just funny that Kristen acts like she's the one person filling this massive hole in the market but she clearly just went to the conference and saw how many other thousands of desperate women fell for this bullshit and realized it is REALLY easy to scam people in this lightworker niche. So she jumped on board and acts like she's the first one to discover this vague mid-life crisis brand of spirituality.
-she passive-aggressively waves to her haterz (lulz) and says we're just "confused supporters" and then dances and sings "OOO DID SHE JUST GO THERE YES SHE DID GURL"
-claims this sudden shift in her persona has been "her" all along. and this new crack energy you might have noticed is totally normal and she's just been holding it back all these years.
-says she's going to spill the tea on herself someday
-at about 6 minutes in she starts her "whole 4" sales pitch. It sounds like the problem she's trying to solve with this workbook course is living life without an intention? This seems pulled straight from Marie Forleo or Melyssa Griffin. Or possibly Muchelle B or Lavendaire or Danielle LaPorte... basically its so vague and unoriginal that it could be copied from any or all of these.
-She says anyone at any stage of their life can benefit from this Whole 4 challenge. This is terrible marketing. Rule #1 is choose your target audience and BE SPECIFIC. Nothing, I repeat, absolutely NOTHING is suitable for everyone. Unless you're selling water. or hot air.
-She says the word "DAMN" then says she curses and she's NOT SORRY ABOUT IT. (again, copying Marie Forleo & Rachel Hollis) lol I hope she gets demonetized and suddenly decides that cursing is for those low-light non spiritual people and this is a space of POSITIVITY AND PURITY.
-just an observation she uses her hands like crazy when she talks basically for the full 20 minutes
-she comes right out the gate being defensive about charging money for her course. Not a great way to sell an audience... "YES its a course and YES it costs money because I'm running a BUSINESS NOT A CHARITY." <- this is an exact quote from KM. I'm not exaggerating.
-she rants about how someday she will run a non-profit / charity and gets very aggressive about how much she loves money. ?
-more snapping and clapping
-babbles about limiting beliefs
-says that in order to overcome criticism she simply plucks it out of her brain, looks at it, wonders if its true and then flat out denies it. What the FUCK kind of advice is this? How is this self-reflection at all? How is this helpful to encourage people to be in utter denial of all of their failings and just to put on a big fake smile and go about their day. This cult of constant positivity is actually harmful and does not allow people to have room for improvement or having off days or just feeling the entire spectrum of human emotion. Because it forces you to be happy and in denial all the time. In the name of "spiritual enlightenment"- which totally misses the point of enlightenment, which is facing up to life's difficulties and admitting that nothing is perfect but continuing to work on yourself anyways. Sorry rant over.
-Talks about how she's here to help heal again but literally never talks about what she's going to heal or how. Because she's not a licensed therapist and has no clue what she's talking about.
-Claims she's an empath. Yells about how people are hurting and we need to STOP HURTING. STAHP IT. We need to FIX YOU for the low low price of $2,000. JUST BE BETTER. JUST REFRAME THE THING. AND YOU WILL STOP HURTING IMMEDIATELY. (this is barely paraphrasing her lol)
-Her magic Whole 4 Step 1 worksheet goes like this: Write down shit that hurt your feelings years ago and then say "I AM WONDERWOMAN" "I AM CHOOSING TO BELIEVE" instead and you will be cured.

In closing, I'd like to quote Irene Adler from the BBC series Sherlock:
"You know the real problem with a disguise, Mr. Holmes? No matter how hard you try its always a self-portrait."

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

Post by smokingandangry »

it always blows my mind when kristen martin posts content like she did today and consequently doesn't interact with her audience at all. it's so remarkably disingenuous to say "i'm here for YOU, i want to help YOU, my whole life's purpose is to serve OTHERS" but then not even do the bare minimum participation in comments or on social media. she is very clearly attempting to be an influencer, pivoting from a "writing" influencer to a "spiritual" influencer, but she's missing the most key element in this whole fucking process. she has to actually participate with the community she's attempting to cultivate. but you go to her comments and she hasn't even LIKED anything.

i get why she's not active in the comment sections, because she has a sales background and has had it hammered into her head that her attendance is worth $$$. you don't meet with clients if the client isn't paying for the meeting. she considers deigning people with her presence, answering their questions, thanking them for their time, to be not-profitable. you want her to answer questions? you can hop on a 30 minute skype call for $300. because she's #WORTHY.

the difference here between her background and what she's doing is that influencers are not salespeople. there's a distinction that she can't seem to get past and it makes her look fake and, yes, omg, greedy. which, btw, i love that her argument that she's not greedy is that "one day she's going to own a nonprofit and benefit other people." as someone with nonprofit experience, i can tell you the scammers and profitability and greed are all through the roof. she'd probably fit right in. she's also not greedy because she's published youtube videos and podcasts for 5 years, right? except 3 years ago she started spending a third of each of these endeavors hard-selling products and LYING to viewers in order to SELL CONTENT. are commercials free? i guess, like, technically, but girl, no one asked for that.

Post by Guest »

Lyra Leonhardt wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:42 am
I feel like at this point we need a dedicated Kristen thread but idk where it would even go? Like she's not exactly relevant to authortube/booktube anymore, but she's also not exactly gaining any new followers through this whole lightworker grift either.

Also what's the standard way to view a video without giving the creator the views these days? I would very much like to watch the foulFLOW train crash into a pile of concertina'd scrap metal but y'know, don't want to accidentally validate her delusions either.
Agreed. She needs her own thread in the hate a guru section, I think.

Yogadog
Debater
Debater

Post by Yogadog »

The comments are interesting. This is the second one where people are asking about writing content.

ja14
Informer
Informer

Post by ja14 »

Thought this was relevant since we’ve talk d about both of these people in relation to KM

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

Post by smokingandangry »

ja14 wrote:
Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:05 pm
Thought this was relevant since we’ve talk d about both of these people in relation to KM

this is confirmation that kaila and kristen no longer talk, so that's good. i'm also impressed by her ability to recognize a scam when she sees one (but perhaps that's a "takes one to know one" skill). i also just noticed her course name... do you think she's pissed with kristen stealing her "with intention" verbiage? kristen's whole thing "living with intention" now, isn't it? hmmmm...

also i think the lack of comments in this forum today speaks volumes about kristen martin's newest video in her whole4challenge/soulflow series/sales videos from this week. it's only day two and we're all just done. and with today's "here's how to lose weight" bullshit, there's just nothing to say. it's incredibly offensive and dangerous for her to offer advice to women saying "if you think healthy thoughts, you'll lose the weight! i didn't even try, i just stopped thinking negatively and then i lost 30 pounds!!!" which, btw, is fatphobic as fuck since it's implying that fat women are universally sick or unhappy.

i also like how she kept the actual interesting content in her video, shit like why she hated her job, the struggles she had in her relationship with her fiance, behind the paywall that's coming friday. you're not that interesting kristen. learning why you got dumped is not worth the $3000 price tag you're about to drop.

ps, if you look at the whole4challenge tag on instagram, where she's been pushing all of her viewers, you'll note there's like...absolutely no engagement at all. not surprising.

Malingers
Talker
Talker

Post by Malingers »

smokingandangry wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm

ps, if you look at the whole4challenge tag on instagram, where she's been pushing all of her viewers, you'll note there's like...absolutely no engagement at all. not surprising.
I noticed the lack of engagement after she went off about the AMAZING things she was seeing on Instagram in response...I have no idea where she is looking unless she is genuinely hallucinating.

sugarpea
Talker
Talker

Post by sugarpea »

Malingers wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:15 pm
smokingandangry wrote:
Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:13 pm

I noticed the lack of engagement after she went off about the AMAZING things she was seeing on Instagram in response...I have no idea where she is looking unless she is genuinely hallucinating.
Last night she had 36,393 subs. This morning she had 36,313, and now she has 36,284. She's losing people fast. She is being aggressive and displaying very toxic behavior. She is not talking to the people not apart of this forum, and you can tell. Reading her comments you have to ask where are the hate comments? You can read them and see there is none.

Return to “BookTube”