Gossiper

Re: Unpopular Opinions - Booktube Edition

Post by oh_do_tell »

ZeroFsGiven wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am
oh_do_tell wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 am
But I love watching unboxings from Book Roast because they are HP 😂😂
Common Spences unboxings were incredible but he seems to have stopped filming - kinda sad because his content was very entertaining
I can see he hasn't posted a video or tweeted in a month, what happened to him? :(

ZeroFsGiven
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ZeroFsGiven »

oh_do_tell wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 am
ZeroFsGiven wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:25 am
oh_do_tell wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:40 am
But I love watching unboxings from Book Roast because they are HP 😂😂
Common Spences unboxings were incredible but he seems to have stopped filming - kinda sad because his content was very entertaining
I can see he hasn't posted a video or tweeted in a month, what happened to him? :(
I think he’s quite flakey. Maybe also struggles managing his time and gets big pockets of energy, uses it all up and gets exhausted with it all again. He’s also working very hard at a new job with lots of major projects. I think he’s probably focussing his energy on that. It’s a real shame because when he’s uploading he’s incredible. He doesn’t owe us anything - I just miss his content & energy.

Post by Guest »

"Read guru gossip religiously. That way you'll know what viewers are saying about you, and how problematic you are" hilarious coming from BBG of all people.

ZeroFsGiven
Learner
Learner

Post by ZeroFsGiven »

irritatedonyoutube wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:04 pm

"Read guru gossip religiously. That way you'll know what viewers are saying about you, and how problematic you are" hilarious coming from BBG of all people.
I’m the kind of viewer who is impressed by production quality, and for someone who’s been around a while I’d think he could have improved his social commentary and editing style.

This was mildly amusing, as he’s both poking fun at Booktube but honestly in some parts himself too, but it could have been a lot better with a bit more effort.

Nefret
Informer
Informer

Post by Nefret »

Unpopular Reading Vlog Opinions:

They should never be over 20 minutes. No one's real life is regularly interesting enough to justify these 45 minute videos every week.

If a booktuber is gonna put out those 45 minute videos, they can't complain about low views. Long videos put people off. And even if they don't, with so many people putting out content that long, subscribers will straight up run out of hours in the day.

I hate when they include unboxings. Opening a package that you got over the course of the week and it's like one book, that's fine. But doing a full "let's go through this irl loot box piece by piece" should be it's own video. Don't add 10 minutes to a reading vlog for it.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

Agghhh I know why booktubers post reading vlogs for every-single-day of a readathon - because of the views but they are so annoying and flooding the feed. I would rather watch one longer vlog then 7 vlogs for 7 days. :roll:

BookishBitch
Learner
Learner

Post by BookishBitch »

I doubt that this is necessarily and unpopular opinion, but the Playlist Books Tag makes me cringe so much. I'm always interested in what songs people associate with books, but watching people awkwardly lip sync to Taylor Swift on times four speed so she doesn't sue them sounds like the opposite of a good time for me.

Post by Guest »

BookishBitch wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:07 pm
I doubt that this is necessarily and unpopular opinion, but the Playlist Books Tag makes me cringe so much. I'm always interested in what songs people associate with books, but watching people awkwardly lip sync to Taylor Swift on times four speed so she doesn't sue them sounds like the opposite of a good time for me.
It's Okay, You Can Say Sophiesticated Books

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

I do not know if these are unpopular but I didn’t necessarily want a discussion about these two points, just a place to vent.

I genuinely like Emily Fox and Beautifully Bookish Bethany but I have two huge gripes. Emily doesn’t even seem to ... enjoy reading? I understand having specific interests but I feel like she is so negative all the time. And, sometimes things she says are just flat out wrong. She said Disappearing Earth was magical realism....no. And while I appreciate that Bethany is a very considerate and thorough reader and reviewer, literally EVERYTHING is “sensitive content” of “problematic” to her! Ok, not everything...but she is certainly picky about what she does and does not find inappropriate.

Tysm for listening and immm done.

Cosima
Talker
Talker

Post by Cosima »

^I think Emily believes that any book with supernatural elements that doesn't have a Sandersonesque, clear-cut, super detailed and explained magic system is "magical realism".

BookishBitch
Learner
Learner

Post by BookishBitch »

irritatedonyoutube wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:21 pm
BookishBitch wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:07 pm
It's Okay, You Can Say Sophiesticated Books
LOL I was actually talking about Problems of a Book Nerd, but noted.

Post by Guest »

I Hate This Stream So Much. Why The Fuck Is This White Savior Ass Bitch Leading A Discussion About Race And Racism. And Kerri Introduces All Of The POC Booktubers Because They Definitely Can't Talk About Themselves.

Karas
Talker
Talker

Post by Karas »

Annaj001 wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:12 pm
And while I appreciate that Bethany is a very considerate and thorough reader and reviewer, literally EVERYTHING is “sensitive content” of “problematic” to her! Ok, not everything...but she is certainly picky about what she does and does not find inappropriate.
I sometimes get the impression that Bethany is one of those booktubers who assumes that the majority of her viewers are much younger than she is (obviously not all of them, I've seen her interact with older booktubers, but still) and so she has a bit of a teacher/mum vibe to some of her reviews. She always strikes me as someone who's willing to read stuff that YA-centred booktube would definitely hate (have you seen her Christian romance video?) but she's very careful to point out that those elements are there, which I mostly respect.

I'm not a huge fan of the teacher/mum tone because it seems patronising, but it's not super uncommon with 30-somethings who do a fair amount of YA content. Joce from Squibbles reads used to do that too. I really liked Joce's content but she really acted like she was talking to an audience that was much younger than herself. She kept talking about being "much older," so I thought that meant she was in her mid to late 30s, but no, she was 20-something at the time. lol

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

These are all very petty. Ahem.

- those tbr carts that everyone has are ugly.
- “how I read so many books” videos are pointless. Audiobooks is how you do it, not a big secret.
- “I gave this a 4 stars” ... no. You gave it 4 stars. Not A 4 stars.

Leonhardts
Learner
Learner

Post by Leonhardts »

Annaj001 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:46 pm

- “how I read so many books” videos are pointless. Audiobooks is how you do it, not a big secret.
You are forgetting that they all are listening to their audio books at like 3x the speed.

Youreinit
Learner
Learner

Post by Youreinit »

Annaj001 wrote:

The one that gets me is "I listened to it on audio." There's no other way to listen to it accept for audio.

JamHands9
Informer
Informer

Post by JamHands9 »

Leonhardts wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm
Annaj001 wrote:

You are forgetting that they all are listening to their audio books at like 3x the speed.
While at work...

I listen to mine at 1.75 or 2x speed, but I listen while I crochet (fairly mindless for me), clean, grocery shop, or drive.
I’m not trying to do data analysis or paperwork at the same time.

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

JamHands9 wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:31 pm
Leonhardts wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:41 pm
Annaj001 wrote:

While at work...

I listen to mine at 1.75 or 2x speed, but I listen while I crochet (fairly mindless for me), clean, grocery shop, or drive.
I’m not trying to do data analysis or paperwork at the same time.

I enjoy the 1.75 or 2x speed as well (depends on the narrator of course) when I can concentrate! I would probably be able to read 3x the amount I do if I could read during work too! Sheesh.

Cosima
Talker
Talker

Post by Cosima »

I thought I couldn't focus on audiobooks because everytime I tried one it felt I was absorbing nothing, but speeding them up actually helps. 2 to 2.5x is what works for me. Still slower than reading the book with my eyes and not my prefered way of reading fiction but at least I can stomach them now.

Annaj001 wrote:

And pointless. Their TBRs are 10 times what can fit in the cart, they should put the read books there and the TBR on the big shelves.

Annaj001
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Annaj001 »

Idk why I love this particular thread and I’m sorry for spamming it.

I enjoy abookolive because I like to check in with topical non-fiction and I mostly agree with her opinions. However. I would NEVER.EVER.EVER be able to listen to her as an audiobook narrator. It’s not her voice that bothers me but the WAY she reads/speaks. It’s like she’s was on the debate team in high school and never grew out of it.

Return to “BookTube”