Talker
Talker

Re: Authortube

Post by sugarpea »

AuthorNoob wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:09 am
sugarpea wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:07 pm
If you're looking to watch good authors on Author tube, I've recently discovered Alyne Hart and The Authors Journey.
Thanks for the suggestions, I subbed to both.
I've been watching Adele Marie lately. She just graduated college and is writing a kind of sci-fi/fantasy/adventure novel. She seems very sweet and genuine, and has lots of writing advice and vlog videos showing her process.
I have not discovered her until your shout out. Thank you.

What[the]Eff
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by What[the]Eff »

Oh, goody! I saw an advert for our beloved Kristen Martin's ***free*** Masterclass on Facebook. What an extraordinary deal. Of course I signed up. Only 12 minutes until Kristen changes my life! I cannot wait to inform you all of the multitude of ways I am enlightened and inspired.

radishking
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by radishking »

i just subbed to all three too!!

i also just found a super small authortuber called mk painter. she doesnt post a lot and seems a tad green, but seems genuine all the same

AuthorNoob
Talker
Talker

Post by AuthorNoob »

radishking wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:44 pm
i just subbed to all three too!!

i also just found a super small authortuber called mk painter. she doesnt post a lot and seems a tad green, but seems genuine all the same
Thank you! Subbed! :)

Malingers
Talker
Talker

Post by Malingers »

Here are a couple of other channels I think you can trust:
Alina Popesu
Dana Gaulin Writes
Carrow Brown
S.D. Hegyes
Tamara Woods
MIchayla Lovitt
Misha Gerrick
Nichole McKeon
Regina's Haunted Library
Aphrodite Lee
D.L Stewart
CassTEAElle
Julian Greystoke
Macienda Alena
The Naked Firefly
Audrey Henley
Butterflies from B's
Tommy Sutton

That's just some of them. Hope you guys enjoy!

Yogadog
Debater
Debater

Post by Yogadog »

Thanks! I had stumbled across Carrow Brown. She is unpolished but knowledgeable, she's likely to get better with time.

sugarpea
Talker
Talker

Post by sugarpea »

Malingers wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:27 am
Here are a couple of other channels I think you can trust:
Alina Popesu
Dana Gaulin Writes
Carrow Brown
S.D. Hegyes
Tamara Woods
MIchayla Lovitt
Misha Gerrick
Nichole McKeon
Regina's Haunted Library
Aphrodite Lee
D.L Stewart
CassTEAElle
Julian Greystoke
Macienda Alena
The Naked Firefly
Audrey Henley
Butterflies from B's
Tommy Sutton

That's just some of them. Hope you guys enjoy!
I love Butterflies with B's Bwandungi. I join her write-in's every morning when I can. So if anybody does enjoy doing write in's, she's almost always on Monday morning, and Wednesday she does prompt 30 write-ins.

sugarpea
Talker
Talker

Post by sugarpea »

I noticed many of Krysten's AuthorTube Retreat videos are gone. Now there is only about two.

LollypopDiva
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LollypopDiva »

sugarpea wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:18 pm
I noticed many of Krysten's AuthorTube Retreat videos are gone. Now there is only about two.
I didn't notice that. She still has all her collab videos with Kayla up and her trip videos with her as well. I didI notice though that her early videos from the period when she first started authortube through to when she first moved into her house are all gone. There was also one video where she talked about her engagement having been postponed that is gone as well. This was all before she bought a fancy camera and the quality of her videos got better.

sugarpea
Talker
Talker

Post by sugarpea »

youngone_ wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 1:42 pm
Why do you need THAT long of a vacation from what is supposedly your passion?
Exactly! She only posted 1 day a week, and her vlogs are not much of her doing anything. Why would she need a "vacation?"

justanotherwriter
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by justanotherwriter »

BTDubs, folks: has anyone noticed that you/flow (sorry, SOUL/flow) has been pushed to October. I guess KM took note of the weirdness of taking a hiatus in the two months before your next book is due, so instead of August, she now lists it as an October release. She'll be back from hiatus for two months of doing....whatever it is she does to promote her crappy feel good knockoff book.

Yogadog
Debater
Debater

Post by Yogadog »

Wow. Just read some of the reviews for Shadow Crown on Amazon. So many DNFs. So many 1-2 star reviews from people who like her on YouTube.

Malingers
Talker
Talker

Post by Malingers »

Amazon bio says this: About the Author
Kristen Martin works in supply chain in the chemical industry. She is also a part of the BookTube community and films weekly videos offering aspiring authors writing advice, inspiration, ways to live a balanced lifestyle, and behind-the-scenes footage at author events and writing conferences. She lives in Montgomery, Texas.

Soooo...she DOES work in the chemical industry?

dovahqueen
Learner
Learner

Post by dovahqueen »

I'm beginning to think KM should just get her own thread

FollyandCaprice
Lurker
Lurker

Post by FollyandCaprice »

Hi everyone. I discovered Authortube and consequently Kristen Martin a little over a year ago. From the first KM video I watched, I found myself raging. This girl has a real pair of ovaries on her to think she knows anything about the topics she so confidently spews advice on. She got rejected by 5 book agents?! Girlfriend, that's less than a first round of querying for most writers. Tell me more about how you understand the traditional publishing process.

I have 20+ years in marketing and public relations and I've long been investigating/working for businesses that sell in the online space. KM is pretty much following the online business playbook. Someone earlier in the thread pointed out it's like she's doing verbatim what Marie Forleo instructs in her B School online course. I think that is absolutely dead on. Her pricing and promotion strategy is in lockstep with what Forleo and her acolytes advise. Let's break it down:
- Offer a starter course for $199, but do promotional pricing of $97.
- Build your premier course and offer it at $2000-$3000 with a $500-ish discount as promotional pricing.
- Do limited time enrollments to drive a sense of scarcity.

What's sad is that while she's doing all the steps she is blithely skipping over the advice that deals with knowing what you are talking about and being truly authentic. She skips over the parts that suggest testing, changing, and improving content based on feedback. Almost all of the Forleo crowd absolutely pushes the idea of pre-selling your course, having a few beta users go through it and making improvements based on that feedback. Good ole' KM though, she doesn't need beta users! Hell, she doesn't need beta readers or editors for her books! Why would her online courses need them?!

I know she spends a lot of lip service on knowing your worth and trusting in your own instincts. However, there is a difference between earnest determination that acknowledges the need to learn and grow to achieve your goal and the kind of blithe arrogance of assuming you already know everything that KM displays.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now. What I really came to share was a few theories on her current job/financial state. We know she probably still has her corporate sales job judging by the still present Dell laptop in videos. I'd argue she still has it as a full-time gig. I think she did get the promotion she talked about last year. I think it was probably as a regional or district sales manager, which usually assumes a remote work situation and less time meeting sales quotas personally. It also comes with some intriguing perks, like a company vehicle. In high dollar industries like oil and gas that is often a large fuel guzzling luxury SUV (so as to even the playing field and signal appropriately to the high-level clients you may be traveling to visit). Gee, didn't KM get a big shiny new white Mercedes right around the time she said she got that promotion? Doesn't she still have it too despite saying she quit her job?

IF KM really did quit her job, which I think we can all agree is highly unlikely she is funding herself through credit card debt or family money. She did say that she was down to her last not maxxed out credit card when she was supposedly in the most successful period of her career.

WriteWithMe
Learner
Learner

Post by WriteWithMe »

I’m guessing KM is on a writing retreat with some other ladies according to her insta stories 🙄

Pemberly
Learner
Learner

Post by Pemberly »

WriteWithMe wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:44 pm
I’m guessing KM is on a writing retreat with some other ladies according to her insta stories 🙄
I think it’s a business coaches retreat... since all the other people tagged in the photo she posted seem to be marketing themselves as business coaches. And they’re working on a “secret project” can’t wait to see what course she tries to make and sell for $5k now that there’s 4 people attached to it.

smokingandangry
Informer
Informer

Post by smokingandangry »

dovahqueen wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:53 pm
I'm beginning to think KM should just get her own thread
tbh this isn’t a bad idea since this thread is 90% KM with 5% other obnoxious authortubers and 5% people we like and wanna talk about, lol.

i’m honestly kind of surprised she has people collaborating with her still. i can’t believe these people are looking at her in real life and buying the shit she’s lied about. it says a lot about them tbh. and the fact she’s COMPLETELY dropped kaila... jesus, this woman is covered in red flags lol

AuthorNoob
Talker
Talker

Post by AuthorNoob »

They're the kind of scumbags who think it's okay to climb up and dance on top of the very expensive dining table of the person whose house they're renting. Doesn't seem like they have that many scruples, to me.

Kristen is reopening valiance and elevate for her 'waitlist' members only - to make it seem like it's exclusive lol - but then tells everyone to swipe up to join the waitlist. So... she's actually opening them both up for everyone. All of the many, many, many, many, many people who keep asking her when she's going to reopen them lol. I can't believe she has the gall to raise the price of the course just because she has to keep updating it to keep it relevant, in a market where everything goes out of date very quickly. That woman is pure greed.

LollypopDiva
Lurker
Lurker

Post by LollypopDiva »

AuthorNoob wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:48 pm
They're the kind of scumbags who think it's okay to climb up and dance on top of the very expensive dining table of the person whose house they're renting. Doesn't seem like they have that many scruples, to me.
I found it interesting that one of them is "hustlewithheart" or something like that. Is the "hustle" a Marie Folio thing? They all took her course and couldn't find a more original angle for their theme? At least one of them took a more creative angle with her "clear your inbox" course. LOL, we need to pay for a course to learn to prioritize our emails and clear our inboxes now? At least that was more original than the hustle business coach angle the others have taken. With no credentials.

These "coaching" programs are pyramid schemes. They depend on bringing in more and more suckers. Eventually the house of cards has to crumble.

Return to “BookTube”