Asterii
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: booktubers part 3

Post by Asterii »

iamafreckle wrote:
Asterii wrote:Have you guys heard of Jordan Harvey? She's one of the first booktubers that I found and I've loved the videos form her that I've watched so far!
OMG I just found her channel today and was coming here to see if anyone here enjoyed her videos as much as I have been. I like how she goes more in depth about why she likes/dislikes certain books, even though I don't always have the same opinion as her.
Saamme!! Out of the booktubers I've watched, she's been the most thourough in her explainations and I like that she doesn't 100% percent just praise a book if she likes it. I believe that anything made by humans is flawed in some way, no matter how enjoyable it is and it's nice to hear that be acknowledged.

Asterii
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Asterii »

BooksandTea wrote:This is really pathetic...

The girl in this video was not nasty, the video was basically about how book Twitter has such a mob/callout culture that guru gossip makes sense because if anyone ever says anything negative they will be called out people will tweet out telling others to cone for them and there'll be a mob

And then myonna is literally doing that to her...because she dared to disagree with her

She says she's reporting for copyright but I'm pretty sure it's legal under fair use laws which covers things like reviews, commentary etc

Honestly tho I don't know if I would expect myonna to understand that she has really shown her true self the last few days and I'm sick of it. I hate to even bother spending my time writing this about her but I just couldn't ignore this tweet. She needs to Let. It. Go.

Changing the topic! What booktubers do you know do vlogmas? I love vlogmas so please recommend me some channels who do it!
Gosh this girl is annoying now. I was really rooting for her at first, but then she goes and starts shit over nothing. I hope in a few years time, she cringes over this and realize what a bully she's been. She's a teen right? So I'm not totally surprised at her behavior. I remember being so easily offended when I was that age. Thank god my parents didn't let me have social media!

The only thing I don't like about the girl's video is the volume. I think she used movie maker to decrease the background noise, but that affects her volume as well. Background noise is better that ghostly speech. I applaud her for speaking out. Most of booktube is on the side of the offended and I'm sure they didn't do their own research before forming an opinion.

'If she says it then it MUST be true' :roll: :roll: :roll:

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Post by sophisays »

Asterii wrote:

The girl in this video was not nasty, the video was basically about how book Twitter has such a mob/callout culture that guru gossip makes sense because if anyone ever says anything negative they will be called out people will tweet out telling others to cone for them and there'll be a mob

And then myonna is literally doing that to her...because she dared to disagree with her

She says she's reporting for copyright but I'm pretty sure it's legal under fair use laws which covers things like reviews, commentary etc

Honestly tho I don't know if I would expect myonna to understand that she has really shown her true self the last few days and I'm sick of it. I hate to even bother spending my time writing this about her but I just couldn't ignore this tweet. She needs to Let. It. Go.

Changing the topic! What booktubers do you know do vlogmas? I love vlogmas so please recommend me some channels who do it!
Gosh this girl is annoying now. I was really rooting for her at first, but then she goes and starts shit over nothing. I hope in a few years time, she cringes over this and realize what a bully she's been. She's a teen right? So I'm not totally surprised at her behavior. I remember being so easily offended when I was that age. Thank god my parents didn't let me have social media!

The only thing I don't like about the girl's video is the volume. I think she used movie maker to decrease the background noise, but that affects her volume as well. Background noise is better that ghostly speech. I applaud her for speaking out. Most of booktube is on the side of the offended and I'm sure they didn't do their own research before forming an opinion.

Our standard bearing protector of all things 'small booktube' isnt a teen.She is 20. And stalking this forum. and there will be another tweet soon where she will say that gG is shit talking her ....again.
I dont know... Her definition of shit talking seems to be vastly different when it comes to herself. I mean, we are not even dishing it here, but she seems to think any and all mention of her is shit talking... but her brazen bullying is 'truth'. :roll:

Asterii
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Asterii »

sophisays wrote:
Asterii wrote:

Our standard bearing protector of all things 'small booktube' isnt a teen.She is 20. And stalking this forum. and there will be another tweet soon where she will say that gG is shit talking her ....again.
I dont know... Her definition of shit talking seems to be vastly different when it comes to herself. I mean, we are not even dishing it here, but she seems to think any and all mention of her is shit talking... but her brazen bullying is 'truth'. :roll:

Ooh my gosh she's close to my age :( :( :( Eh she'll just be digging herself into a deeper hole if she continues. God forbid she ever gets any REAL shit talked about her. People can be vicious.

I'm just really embarrassed for her at this point. She has to know that unessassarily negative stuff she puts out online will come back to bite her in the butt one day.

ladyboobridgewater
Learner
Learner

Post by ladyboobridgewater »

Asterii wrote:
sophisays wrote:

Ooh my gosh she's close to my age :( :( :( Eh she'll just be digging herself into a deeper hole if she continues. God forbid she ever gets any REAL shit talked about her. People can be vicious.

I'm just really embarrassed for her at this point. She has to know that unessassarily negative stuff she puts out online will come back to bite her in the butt one day.
Deleting a bit of this thread so it's not the longest thing ever.

Mayo really needs to stop now, for her own good. The more she makes of this the more it's going to spiral around her. GG isn't going away because she doesn't like it, that's just the reality, so her options are twofold:

She can decide to just stop talking about it, but now her buddies will keep bringing it up because it's an easy way to manufacture outrage. She then has to try and ignore the thing that she started, maybe claiming to be "done with the drama" and "over these ignorant people" when she literally made this a thing in the first place. OR she can keep milking it for as long as possible because views and attention and righteous anger.

I'm kind of expecting a sock puppet account that will bring her up again in the future once the thread gets bored and moves on so she can stay relevant and keep the train going. There isn't really a point where she comes out of this with anything looking like a 'victory', because the fight she's having is manufactured. Better to duck out now girl.

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Post by sophisays »

^^^^ Yup.

Also a bunch of the smaller aka irrelevant ones keep making this snide comment that Oohh I know Im relevant when GG starts shit talking me...and I keep thinking.. No..No girl, you're really not. Unless You are Sasha or Ariel or Christina or Hailey or Reagan... nobody is talking about you guys.. Heck we dont even know most of your names/channel names.
I dont want to sound ageist or condescending but it's hard not to comment on how childish thier behaviour is.

Bloopina_
Debater
Debater

Post by Bloopina_ »

Christine's excitement in her video of giving away arcs for "Again, but better" was so contagious that it's making me hyped for her book.

It's already interesting seeing the difference between people's reception of her book vs Zenith. I think we're going a clearer picture in May though.

yeahiguess
Talker
Talker

Post by yeahiguess »

Kat uploaded a bullet journal video and I love it!! I've always wanted to keep one myself, but I know myself well enough to know I'm bad with that kind of commitment, but seeing Kat do it has renewed my interest. I've always found Kat the most genuine and relatable of the big booktubers, and I know she struggles a lot with motivation too, so I feel like if Kat can find time to do it, maybe I can too.

On a related note, has anybody else been really proud of her lately? She had such a big youtube slump, but these days she's producing more content, sharing more original ideas, and even the little insights she provides to her life shows that she's working very hard to get where she wants to be. I've followed her since 2013/2014 so I'm ecstatic to see her this happy and productive for the first time in years.

Post by Guest »

The most recent episode of Bookmarked was really disappointing. Zoe was (as usual) the only one who didn't view the topic as black and white and showed a certain level of self-awareness. Hannah and Hailey defaulted to their "I don't understand" argument, as they seem to always do when faced with a nuanced issue. I understand that Cindy's point in her booktube consumerism video was "I'll do what I want to, you do what you want to", but I found the argument she was making throughout the video pretty weak. If someone has a massive collection of vinyl records and never listens to them, or has a huge shoe collection but never wears any of them, yet plasters this collection all over the internet, people are going to take issue with that.

Booktube and bookstagram absolutely have a problem with consumerism. Having a huge collection of anything you don't use is going to ruffle people's feathers. There's an additional problem with book collecting because, as Zoe pointed out, younger viewers are thinking they can't be booktubers or that they don't "count" as readers because they don't have a huge collection. Yeah, you can spend your money how you want. But the choices you make don't exist in a vacuum. And if you have a young audience (and if you primarily read YA, you almost certainly do), you need to take a step back and consider what you're teaching your viewers.

I think the fact that most of the big booktubers and bookstagramers are in their early twenties (or older) means they can't really wrap their mind around the idea of growing up with bookstagram or booktube. Instagram was just starting to take off when these people were in highschool, and booktube was a completely different world back then. I don't think many of them 'get' how their actions might be influencing tweens or young teens. If adults feel pressured and are influenced by what they see on social media, imagine what that pressure and influence would be like for someone who's younger. I know that I loved the library before I ever read Harry Potter, but looking back I'm certain that Hermione Granger influenced my view of what a 'reader' was: in this case, someone who loved the library! If the image of a 'reader' you're presented with at a formative and impressionable point in your life is someone who buys six books for every one they read, and has a massive collection they hardly touch, that's going to influence you.

It's also worth noting that people like Lala and Jen Campbell both have huge book collections yet aren't scrutinized for it the way other booktubers are. This is because they both read enough to keep up with the amount of books they take in, and their audiences are a little older. I also remember Lala doing that closet cleanout series.

I'm sure people are going to think I'm being dramatic or taking this too seriously by using a "think of the children!" argument, but I just find it baffling how booktubers (and bookstagramers) respond to this issue. I'm not saying people can't have huge collections, but if you don't read enough to keep up with the number of books you're taking in, and/or you have a young audience, have the decency to consider why people think this is a problem.

RoseSister
Lurker
Lurker

Post by RoseSister »

yeahiguess wrote:Kat uploaded a bullet journal video and I love it!! I've always wanted to keep one myself, but I know myself well enough to know I'm bad with that kind of commitment, but seeing Kat do it has renewed my interest. I've always found Kat the most genuine and relatable of the big booktubers, and I know she struggles a lot with motivation too, so I feel like if Kat can find time to do it, maybe I can too.

On a related note, has anybody else been really proud of her lately? She had such a big youtube slump, but these days she's producing more content, sharing more original ideas, and even the little insights she provides to her life shows that she's working very hard to get where she wants to be. I've followed her since 2013/2014 so I'm ecstatic to see her this happy and productive for the first time in years.
That was so enjoyable to watch! I'm really into bullet journaling and I like Kat's personality so it's exciting to see her doing this type of video.

just_reading
Learner
Learner

Post by just_reading »

jungie wrote:The most recent episode of Bookmarked was really disappointing. Zoe was (as usual) the only one who didn't view the topic as black and white and showed a certain level of self-awareness. Hannah and Hailey defaulted to their "I don't understand" argument, as they seem to always do when faced with a nuanced issue. I understand that Cindy's point in her booktube consumerism video was "I'll do what I want to, you do what you want to", but I found the argument she was making throughout the video pretty weak. If someone has a massive collection of vinyl records and never listens to them, or has a huge shoe collection but never wears any of them, yet plasters this collection all over the internet, people are going to take issue with that.

Booktube and bookstagram absolutely have a problem with consumerism. Having a huge collection of anything you don't use is going to ruffle people's feathers. There's an additional problem with book collecting because, as Zoe pointed out, younger viewers are thinking they can't be booktubers or that they don't "count" as readers because they don't have a huge collection. Yeah, you can spend your money how you want. But the choices you make don't exist in a vacuum. And if you have a young audience (and if you primarily read YA, you almost certainly do), you need to take a step back and consider what you're teaching your viewers.

I think the fact that most of the big booktubers and bookstagramers are in their early twenties (or older) means they can't really wrap their mind around the idea of growing up with bookstagram or booktube. Instagram was just starting to take off when these people were in highschool, and booktube was a completely different world back then. I don't think many of them 'get' how their actions might be influencing tweens or young teens. If adults feel pressured and are influenced by what they see on social media, imagine what that pressure and influence would be like for someone who's younger. I know that I loved the library before I ever read Harry Potter, but looking back I'm certain that Hermione Granger influenced my view of what a 'reader' was: in this case, someone who loved the library! If the image of a 'reader' you're presented with at a formative and impressionable point in your life is someone who buys six books for every one they read, and has a massive collection they hardly touch, that's going to influence you.

It's also worth noting that people like Lala and Jen Campbell both have huge book collections yet aren't scrutinized for it the way other booktubers are. This is because they both read enough to keep up with the amount of books they take in, and their audiences are a little older. I also remember Lala doing that closet cleanout series.

I'm sure people are going to think I'm being dramatic or taking this too seriously by using a "think of the children!" argument, but I just find it baffling how booktubers (and bookstagramers) respond to this issue. I'm not saying people can't have huge collections, but if you don't read enough to keep up with the number of books you're taking in, and/or you have a young audience, have the decency to consider why people think this is a problem.
The thing is as Hannah said in the video they get sent a ton of unsolicited books something that Hailey mentioned when she was unhauling books that a lot of them just got sent to her house. I am a picky reader so, I can't imagine if publishers were just sending me random books I have no interest in. In one reading vlog she got sent a huge box of books I think around 8 that she didn't request. The same thing with makeup guru's. Also, in defense of Hailey libraries don't really exist in Canada as most have closed down and majority of schools have gotten rid of them. The only option really is to buy books.

Nefret
Informer
Informer

Post by Nefret »

jungie wrote:The most recent episode of Bookmarked was really disappointing. Zoe was (as usual) the only one who didn't view the topic as black and white and showed a certain level of self-awareness. Hannah and Hailey defaulted to their "I don't understand" argument, as they seem to always do when faced with a nuanced issue. I understand that Cindy's point in her booktube consumerism video was "I'll do what I want to, you do what you want to", but I found the argument she was making throughout the video pretty weak. If someone has a massive collection of vinyl records and never listens to them, or has a huge shoe collection but never wears any of them, yet plasters this collection all over the internet, people are going to take issue with that.

I definitely wish there were more booktubers that did like library or second-hand "hauls" to show a more cost-friendly side of reading. Also, I love watching un-hauls. I think there was an un-haul challenge/tag going around for awhile. I hope it keeps coming back in the future. Like, regularly in the future.

bookfun
Stalker
Stalker

Post by bookfun »

Has anyone found those defacing book videos? I was watching videos of people annotating their books then came across defacing and at first I was opposed to it but has anyone watched ilivieforbooks????????????
I am shocked she isn't talked about more, her book defacing is so crazy pretty, and she also does other great videos and seems really humble and friendly to watch. I want to find more defacers too but I think she is one of the only ones who still does them. Her Children of blood and Bone defacing is incredible. Thoughts on defacing or drawing on books?
Also- so over all these non-issues/opinions of one or two people becoming posed as some big 'drama'. If the rest of the internet started something for every negative thing said, that is the only thing we would see all day every day. Just focus on what you actually enjoy and let whatever you are not liking fizzle out by not giving it attention.

amiatticus
Learner
Learner

Post by amiatticus »

Zoe is consistently the best part of Bookmarked! I hope we can expect more videos from her when she's graduated!

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

jungie wrote:It's also worth noting that people like Lala and Jen Campbell both have huge book collections yet aren't scrutinized for it the way other booktubers are. This is because they both read enough to keep up with the amount of books they take in, and their audiences are a little older. I also remember Lala doing that closet cleanout series.

I think someone like Jen just presents it in a different way. Obviously you see her bookshelves in videos, but it's never about the aesthetic or the numbers.

And good for them if they want to make their shelves look all pretty and presentable, but it should still be about the story inside the book and not the book as an object. Even the more sensible people I watch constantly buy books they already own because the other cover is nicer, or they buy a 10-part series, read the first book, realise they hate it but keep the series anyway because it looks good, or they buy books they already know they'll listen to on audiobook. Then they go as far as saying ebooks/audiobooks are not real books, I think that's a massive problem, of course people are conditioned into thinking the only thing that "counts" is owning the physical book.

I'm over 30 and consider myself mostly immune to hype and advertising, but I got properly sucked into the book buying madness when I first discovered booktube. Luckily I buy almost exclusively second hand so I never spend outrageous amounts of money. I'm honestly so grateful that I didn't grow up with social media and Youtube.

ladyboobridgewater
Learner
Learner

Post by ladyboobridgewater »

bookfun wrote:Has anyone found those defacing book videos? I was watching videos of people annotating their books then came across defacing and at first I was opposed to it but has anyone watched ilivieforbooks????????????
I am shocked she isn't talked about more, her book defacing is so crazy pretty, and she also does other great videos and seems really humble and friendly to watch. I want to find more defacers too but I think she is one of the only ones who still does them. Her Children of blood and Bone defacing is incredible. Thoughts on defacing or drawing on books?
Also- so over all these non-issues/opinions of one or two people becoming posed as some big 'drama'. If the rest of the internet started something for every negative thing said, that is the only thing we would see all day every day. Just focus on what you actually enjoy and let whatever you are not liking fizzle out by not giving it attention.
I always write and highlight in my books, because I like rereading and seeing what I thought on read one vs read two a few years later. I'm an English graduate so it's kind of in my nature by now. I have a friend who is an AMAZING artist, who draws the characters of any book she's reading in the blank pages at the ends, or in the space under a chapter heading. She does hilarious little doodly comic strips of them having conversations etc and it's amazing. I keep telling her that she should make a bookstagram because it's honestly amazing, but she says she's worried about getting shredded for writing in the books, which is it's own issue with book related social media I suppose. I'll share it if she ever does because it's honestly the best use of space in a book that I've ever seen.

hxgsandkxssxs
Informer
Informer

Post by hxgsandkxssxs »

I agree with you all ^

If you’re doing your 5th “MASSIVE BOOK HAUL” on your channel, each such video featururing 30+ books, and you still have yet to dip your toes into the books from your previous book hauls, it just seems really redundant.

At what point does your channel stop being about the content of books and about marketing bookish aesthetics? If all you do are hauls/unboxings, then you become more of a book seller than a book reviewer. The purpose of buying books is important here. If it is to read and enjoy and review them, that’s perfectly fine. But the consumerism argument applies more correctly to those who buy far more than they ever read, as explained far more eloquently by other users. Your videos are hardly about what books truly are in their raw form - the content of those books. The stories told, the words written, the pictures within them, not those on the cover.

I love buying books. I have lots of books. But I also love the library. I read a lot of books my phone or kindle. Because the words matter more to me than having a pretty, physical version on my shelf. If I can’t afford a 25$ hardcover of said book, I will find any other way I can read it. And I just don’t see that dedication towards words on Booktube anymore. Of course it seems like bookish aesthetics are more important than the words written, if those words aren’t being read and 5 different editions of the same book are being thrown in our faces instead. We’re not there for the marketing. We’re there for your opinions. Let them be complex or arbitrary, even. Just don’t shill books and bookish boxes at us if you’re not even going to read or review them. Start a discussion on what the book is actually about.

To make it clear to any booktubers reading this: I also like collecting different book covers if I can find it at an affordable price, or my other editions are falling apart. But don’t let that be the only thing your channel is about. Market books, not their covers. (I also understand you get sent books - my words are more to those who buy them of their own accord)

hxgsandkxssxs
Informer
Informer

Post by hxgsandkxssxs »

To add my insanely long rant (I’m sorry!) I thought I’d give an example.

If you’re watching a beauty guru, and they’re hauling new makeup (What’s New At Sephora? etc) but you NEVER see them wear or review that makeup...won’t you be annoyed, won’t you be disappointed? At what point does that beauty guru become a marketing agent and not an MUA teaching us how to put on makeup? We want to know how long that foundation wears, if that mascara is smudge-proof, if that bronzer is muddy. We don’t care about their packaging (if we do, it matters far less than the product within them).

Or, for want of a better example, if someone hauls new haircare supplies and electronics...for the 5th time in a row...can we please be let known if that hair clip keeps hair in place, if that hairspray is strong, if that brush hairdryer makes your hair smooth and gives it a blow out effect? We don’t care if the shampoo is in a luxurious bottle, or the hairdryer is a pretty dyson that stands beautifully on your vanity. We haven’t got the money for aesthetics.

I hope I’m making sense.

JamHands9
Informer
Informer

Post by JamHands9 »

As for those books sent unsolicited, they don’t have to show them on their blog. You don’t HAVE to be on PR lists.

I don’t watch many beauty bloggers, but Sam Ravndahl recently mentioned being overwhelmed by PR and decided to take it anymore from any company.
That can honestly be an option to BookTubers. Or take those books and immediately give them away or sell them. Process them immediately instead of leaving them around

I tend toward minimalism so the BookTube (and YouTube in general) consumerism is realllly hard to wrap my mind around.

just_reading
Learner
Learner

Post by just_reading »

I buy the books/get the ebook even if I am going to listen to the audiobook because you can't annotate it. I write in 90% of my books because that is what my dad always did. Zoe did give me the idea maybe you should reread and then annotate which is an interesting idea to me. My biggest fear is Scribd going away and that I lose all my highlights and notes.

Booktubers do haul more than they read and I think the biggest reason is that's where the views are. I'm not a big haul person so I watch on like 2x the speed because I can read the synopsis myself. Most of my favorite youtubers don't concentrate on hauls which I love like Whittynovels and ThoughtsonTomes.

Zoe is the best part of bookmarked as Hannah doesn't really speak (I know that she is going through a lot right now) and while I do watch Hailey's Reading/Writing Vlogs I feel like she doesn't add any new ideas to the conversation. I hope they consistently have special guest.

Return to “BookTube”