booktubers part 3

Ghostedlux
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Re: booktubers part 3

Post by Ghostedlux »

I feel bad for Nora because the mob mentality of twitter is lethal! And you all know the amount of kiddies on book twitter that probably don’t know NR are just blindly attacking a prolific author. I wish TA would’ve sat with her team and spoke on it first. I was excited a black author was getting so much play. But obviously being so young and new (though plenty of young authors don’t do dumb stuff like this) makes her more inclined to error. Her team needs to review all her future tweets.

Post by Guest »

I agree that was a fantastic response. I've read a couple of Nora Roberts books in the last year and really enjoyed them, so I can't wait to pick up some more. As for Tomi, I wasn't really interested in COBAB, but now I'm turned off. Also one of my friends who is West African said she watered down a lot of their culture and said that she felt it pandered to a certain audience. Did anyone feel this way?

I think these YA authors need to take a seat because tbh, without social media or Booktube, I would have never heard of them until I went down the book aisle of Target or went to a bookstore. I hope people will understand this is the consequences of "call-out culture" when you don't even understand what your calling out.

liz72
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Post by liz72 »

slippers4days wrote:Have any of you guys started listening to bookish podcasts? I just stumbled upon Teen Creeps, which is a podcast where the two hosts read old teen pulp novels and the discussion and banter is so good. obviously, you can discuss more in a long podcast instead of a 10-minute video but its just so different from how Booktube reviews books and I'm obsessed. I know Ariel has one but I couldn't get into it, but do you guys have any other recommendations?
I really like "88 cups of tea". Each episode is an interview with an author and they talk about their writing process.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

here4agood1
Stalker
Stalker

Post by here4agood1 »

I wish PeruseProject would stop saying the word "whimsical" and "dark". She uses those words to describe at least one book in like, every video and honestly it makes me want to punch a hole in my screen every time? Am I being too petty about this orrrr? lmfaooo

ladyboobridgewater
Learner
Learner

Post by ladyboobridgewater »

Karas wrote:
Nefret wrote: I've given up on watching the majority of book hauls, as they're usually hauling the same kinds of books. The newest YA releases or adult contemporaries, bought new. Although I do still enjoy more thematic book hauls, like when a beautiful chaos of books bought the most popular books from the year she was born. Granted, she went by GoodReads. I would love to see someone do it based on what was on the New York Times best seller list from the week you were born. Really get to know the popular literature at the exact time of your birth. xD

Then there's the "my husband/boyfriend buys me books" videos or when Lala bought books purely based on the fact their cover was similar to her favorite book. Although she gets a lot of hers from discount sites and reads them shortly after.

But as an aside, it irks me that nearly all videos talking about consumerism are like "There's no consumerism, don't worry about it." I've yet to see one that actually adds anything to the conversation.
I fell out of love with book hauls for a while but then I started mixing up my subs more and I'm enjoying them more again. I try to not follow too many people who are in any one clique/genre/interest and then it stops seeming so same-same.

But on the consumerism what I find funny is that so many of the older booktubers (who must have more money than the students) are the ones doing most of the library and second-hand hauls. I know the bigger channels get free books from publishers, but there are a lot of mid-range channels who are clearly spending their own (or maybe their parents) money on stacks of new release hardcovers every month. It's none of my business if they're going into debt or not, but I find it weird that people don't want to admit that shopping as a hobby is consumerism. There isn't even an argument there!

I think part of that is simply that older people have more financial responsibilities. I was watching booktube as a teenager and I definitely got swept up into dropping all my disposable income on books. Now I'm older and have things like rent and bills, and I'm buying my own food. I make more money but I have far less %-wise that is disposable. If you're a teenager working a few evenings and a weekend day and are not paying for anything, or you've got parents who'll give you an allowance and are just happy it's not going on drugs, then you have a nice stack of income to blow on nonsense like 40 hardbacks you'll never read, and you're much more likely to see that as a justifiable thing to do because you don't have to check if it's going to stop you eating later in the month. God I miss that life.

The fact is that booktube has a large consumerism vibe, it's actually inevitable and it's silly to keep denying it instead of asking ourselves 'okay what can we do about it?'. The evidence is fairly clear, because hauls are most people's most watched videos. People get the same little dopamine hit watching hauls as they do watching makeup unboxings or clicking clickbait. Booktube isn't above that tiny little addiction problem the internet has given everyone. It's nobody's fault, it's just the sad reality of the internet. Book reviews and discussions require attention and thought and sometimes people aren't looking for that. Plus new book hauls are aspirational in a way that second hand and library hauls aren't - people work long hours and have gruelling days at school in the real world, so sometimes what they want when they click onto the internet is an easy bit of escapism - a book haul lets you imagine yourself owning all those books without having to think about whether you'd like them that much. I know that's not the only state people watch them in, but I think it definitely contributes to higher viewing figures.

hxgsandkxssxs
Informer
Informer

Post by hxgsandkxssxs »

If anyone’s interested, Peyton Reads has done a reading vlog reading and presumably reviewing Again But Better.

Rhaenys
Debater
Debater

Post by Rhaenys »

Whitney is doing vlogmas as well :D

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

Elliot Brooks and Haily in Bookland announced they are doing vlogmas.

sophisays
Debater
Debater

Post by sophisays »

oh_do_tell wrote:Elliot Brooks and Haily in Bookland announced they are doing vlogmas.
I love Elliot. Her videos and personality are always fun to watch.

oh_do_tell
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by oh_do_tell »

sophisays wrote:
oh_do_tell wrote:Elliot Brooks and Haily in Bookland announced they are doing vlogmas.
I love Elliot. Her videos and personality are always fun to watch.
Yeah she is so sweet and positive <3 Apparently Thoughts on Tomes is also doing vlogmas - there is a video Vlogmas day 1 :D

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

Children of Blood and Bone was pushed so hard on Spotify in Germany, when usually audiobooks are not really promoted and you have to dig to find them. I gave it a go but DNF'd it because I couldn't get into it. I'm not the biggest YA fantasy reader though, maybe it's a great book.

HaveSomeMilk
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by HaveSomeMilk »

We're on page 40 so I've made a new thread

Link to NEW THREAD here:

viewtopic.php?f=531&t=34460

CuriousReads
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by CuriousReads »

Hello,

Just to let you all know, the person who you are referring to here is no longer on Booktube or Social Media because of all the hate she has been receiving since starting her channel, I saw the other posts that bookish lady said and I was shocked. I don't get where you all think its ok to hate on someone just because they look different. You (Or someone from this site I'm assuming) shamed her for having a facial deformity and told her that it was not appropriate for her to be on Youtube and could cause people to have nightmares.

What right do you have to make someone feel bad about themselves? What right do you have to shame someone for how they look?

She loves books and wanted to share her love of reading, does she not have the same right as the rest of you all? What because she doesn't look like Emmabooks or HailyBookland she should be shunned and not giving the same respect of them?

I followed her on Twitter and she was very nice person, a good heart and was always very kind to others. Why could you all not show her that same kindness?

I don't know if the person was from site who trolled and her harassed her on here but if you are you should be ashamed of yourself.

Bookishlady wrote:Hi!

Are there small booktubers you just won’t watch. there is a new small booktuber I discovered look up “danielle Gastineau booktube”. This girl is a joke and really needs to learn how to make videos. these small booktubers are just boring.

Return to “BookTube”