Ariel Bissett. Canadian booktuber.

vortensity
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ariel Bissett. Canadian booktuber.

Post by vortensity »

Why do I not even want to click on her two latest videos...

jabba13
Learner
Learner

Post by jabba13 »

I know opportunities are largely given out based on subscriber count and while I don’t think Ariel is totally underserving of these opportunities I do think they could go to other creators who are more engaged in the book community.

She is surprisingly still keeping up with her podcast which is cool but her videos tend to be sponsored interviews and book hauls and TBRs that we never receive updates on. I think more documentaries like her poetry one would be cool I understand those take a while to make though.

dew2
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by dew2 »

Her interview with Bill Gates only has 8.6K views after two days. Ouch.

RosieRo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by RosieRo »

Her To All The Boys is on 7.5k as well.
What an erratic view count she has.

jabba13
Learner
Learner

Post by jabba13 »

This is such a nitpick but her whole spoilers thing when it comes to animal crossing is so funny to me. Nintendo directs and details from Nintendo aren’t spoilers. I know you’re trying to go into the game blind and that’s fine but those things aren’t spoilers lol.

*this was in her new Q&A video*

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

Has she been uploading a lot or am I going crazy? (Will likely watch some of her recent vids in the background while I work tomorrow, was just surprised to see so many?)

super_smize
Learner
Learner

Post by super_smize »

vortensity wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm
Has she been uploading a lot or am I going crazy? (Will likely watch some of her recent vids in the background while I work tomorrow, was just surprised to see so many?)
She has, which has been nice to see. But only her most recent vid is one where she's actually read a book. The others are tags and q&a.

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

super_smize wrote:
Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:36 am
vortensity wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 7:02 pm
She has, which has been nice to see. But only her most recent vid is one where she's actually read a book. The others are tags and q&a.
Oh, good to know. I don't mind tags and Q&A occasionally, but I wish there was more content of her just discussing what she's read recently.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

It's Reading Rush time again, this time they're selling a $20 activity journal for a week long readathon.

fennecreads
Talker
Talker

Post by fennecreads »

getinmymachine wrote:
Sat Jun 27, 2020 2:14 am
It's Reading Rush time again, this time they're selling a $20 activity journal for a week long readathon.
idk if it's just my timeline, but people are just over the reading rush this year. between their terrible challenge for their weekend one (that they replaced). posting the initial announcement on juneteenth (the Black community were mad over this particularly), this $20 activity journal. Oh, and the classic "read outdoor's challenge"...in a pandemic where people are sheltering in place. They keep making bad calls and not listening. Their response to the "read outdoor's challenge" was basically we love to see how flexible people get with this and reading in front of a window counts.

jabba13
Learner
Learner

Post by jabba13 »

I can't believe some people actually purchased that journal. It looks as if it's made of paper??? I know they say they sell stuff to pay for the website or something but this just seems greedy lol.

RomieKnottage
Learner
Learner

Post by RomieKnottage »

I truly don't understand why she's trying to turn Reading Rush into a cash cow. It's a week-long readathon, it doesn't seem like it has enough legs to build a whole empire on.

getinmymachine
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by getinmymachine »

I feel kind of bad because they seem genuinely excited, but also kind of out of touch (as usual) like wtf collector's coins? The whole website and merch and stuff seems so disproportionate for such a short event. Maybe they should make it a month long, make it more chill, a few more diverse activities, then you'll at least get some actual use out of the journal. I wonder if they'll get the website up in time.

VirtualOwl3
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by VirtualOwl3 »

ballstothewall20 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:22 pm
acesnotspades wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:47 pm
I don't usually comment on booktubers reading volumes but.... when was the last time she actually read a book?
Ariel is just a book collector. That’s it.
I watched a video of hers from a while back and she said that she hasn't read 60% of her books. I was shocked given how much she puts on the show of being a "quirky bookworm" & being sustainable. Immediately unsubscribed after that.

sarah--
Learner
Learner

Post by sarah-- »

I listen to her podcast occasionally, and it kind of shocks me how little she has actually read. She makes money off being a 'reader' and for several weeks in a row she will mention the same book, because she hardly reads. She is constantly like "well I haven't actually every read anything by X author" and her recommendations are often quite weird, and not a particularly good suggestion for what the person has asked.

RomieKnottage
Learner
Learner

Post by RomieKnottage »

Is Ariel's podcast worth trying out? Like does it provide anything different from what she's already sharing in her videos?

sarah--
Learner
Learner

Post by sarah-- »

RomieKnottage wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:11 pm
Is Ariel's podcast worth trying out? Like does it provide anything different from what she's already sharing in her videos?
Raeleen is good in it, if she weren't there I wouldn't enjoy it as much. There are other bookish podcasts I prefer.

momentarybliss
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by momentarybliss »

Speaking of the podcast, anyone else feel like Ariel is just not a very good person to have a two people podcast with ? Like she's constantly interrupting and talking over Raeleen whenever she's talking about a book (and more often than not it's not like she really has anything of substance to add) and it gets on my nerves so much.

potatopeeler92
Learner
Learner

Post by potatopeeler92 »

momentarybliss wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm
Speaking of the podcast, anyone else feel like Ariel is just not a very good person to have a two people podcast with ? Like she's constantly interrupting and talking over Raeleen whenever she's talking about a book (and more often than not it's not like she really has anything of substance to add) and it gets on my nerves so much.
I think she likes to hear herself talk more than actually listening to what others have to say.

I'm curious how her Reading Rush event and the rest of her "brand" will turn out from now on since this year has been such a mess.

vortensity
Talker
Talker

Post by vortensity »

potatopeeler92 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:45 pm
momentarybliss wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:28 pm
I think she likes to hear herself talk more than actually listening to what others have to say.

I'm curious how her Reading Rush event and the rest of her "brand" will turn out from now on since this year has been such a mess.
It doesn't look like she's uploaded anything since all that went down. I wonder if she's biding her time and just hoping people forget about it lmao.

Return to “BookTube”