Booktubers

TheOtter
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Booktubers

Post by TheOtter »

Also what is up with every single one of PeruseProject's videos being sponsored all of a sudden? LIke literally every. single. one.

OhhNoo!
Talker
Talker

Post by OhhNoo! »

TheOtter wrote:Also what is up with every single one of PeruseProject's videos being sponsored all of a sudden? LIke literally every. single. one.
I was just going to bring that up. She used to be my favorite BookTuber, but now I can barely get through one of her videos.

fuzzyears
Learner
Learner

Post by fuzzyears »

Hi I'm a long time lurker, 1st time poster. I'm really cynical about Sasha's new book. How well known was Lindsey Cummings before Sasha pimped out her Murder Complex book? I may be wrong and she may be really big in the US but I've never seen any of her books in my local book stores in the UK so the impression I get is Lindsey is using Sasha's name to sell books and Sasha is using Lindsey to maybe become known as an author without doing much of the work. It'd be interesting to see how much was written by each of them as I also remember Sasha saying she didn't want to be an author. It also annoys me when people tell Sasha she looks like Clary and she plays up on it. she looks a bit like Lilly Collins who in my opinion never looked like the Clary described in the books.

Alaska Berger
Learner
Learner

Post by Alaska Berger »

I hate to bring this up, but what happened between that trio and Ariel?

Sasha's book probably won't be bad per say, but I can't see it being anything special. It will mostly gain attention just because she's known on the internet

Scarlett_R
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Scarlett_R »

TheUnMarySue wrote:That was the THING that turned me off from Raeleen too! I watched the whole thing go down on Twitter, from her evil tweets to her sending out her friends to attack and defend her and Max when that all went down and her and Max saying they didn't start it when they did. Richard Denny means well, he's one of the most genuine and honest people and sometimes I think he likes to stir the pot and drop a bomb in the mix to get things going but who doesn't want to do that from time to time. His Twitter feed is full of shade and tea too, some of it I think he just likes to put out just to be a bitch but that's what I like about him :rofl: Did you hear about the BEA2015 incident? some people at BEA last year witnessed JesseTheReader, Christine and Kat and a few other popular booktubers telling Harper Teen, Penguin, and Random House what people they shouldn't bother with and one they kept repeating was Richard. So they pretty much blackballed him and it's one of the most disturbing things I've ever heard. How low can you get? you've got 100s of thousands of subscribers and you have to go out of your way to ruin someone's chances of working with publishers because you don't like them? :x :roll:
Wow...how did people know that this happened at BEA? Is he aware of this?

Chappi
Talker
Talker

Post by Chappi »

fuzzyears wrote:Hi I'm a long time lurker, 1st time poster. I'm really cynical about Sasha's new book. How well known was Lindsey Cummings before Sasha pimped out her Murder Complex book? I may be wrong and she may be really big in the US but I've never seen any of her books in my local book stores in the UK so the impression I get is Lindsey is using Sasha's name to sell books and Sasha is using Lindsey to maybe become known as an author without doing much of the work. It'd be interesting to see how much was written by each of them as I also remember Sasha saying she didn't want to be an author. It also annoys me when people tell Sasha she looks like Clary and she plays up on it. she looks a bit like Lilly Collins who in my opinion never looked like the Clary described in the books.
I don't think Lindsey is that well known. I've heard about her books a few times, but never seen them in stores either. I am from Germany, though. I remember a few years ago, she liked so many bookstagrammers pictures and followed them, including me even though I don't have any followers. That was propably so we'd check her books out, but she never commented pushing it.

bookfits
Learner
Learner

Post by bookfits »

Scarlett_R wrote:Wow...how did people know that this happened at BEA? Is he aware of this?
Oh believe me, he's fully aware of it and mentioned it on his Twitter awhile back. I'm more so surprised that several people actually witnessed it at all. Considering how most of these guys deal with criticism and people 'disliking' them, I'd figured it would be done behind doors so no one could trace it back to them.

The story of how Ariel and the trio seem to have a fall out is something I will always want to know. Jesse seems to be talking to her again, but I feel like it may be because she's on the booktube panel and doesn't want people asking about it even further.

I have no qualms about Sasha "co-writing" a book with this Lindsey person (hell I have no problem with Zoella using a ghostwriter for her godawful book, but that's a whole other topic altogether), although the cynic in me believes that if the book is a lot better than I'd figure it would be, it wouldn't be purely because of Sasha, if you catch my drift.

TheUnMarySue
Learner
Learner

Post by TheUnMarySue »

He is aware of this and has talked about it on Twitter. Supposedly it wasn't a private convo those popular booktubers were having with the publishers it was out in the open with a lot of whispering like high school.

Sasha's book sounds like some typical YA crap and Lindsay Cummings is just a user so it should be interesting how that book works out. Sasha will be able to call herself an author now and it's so unworthy. I can't wait to see what happens when Jesse and Katytastic announce they have books all of sudden coming out.

Don't even get me started on PeruseProject. From what I hear WhittyNovels doesn't really talk to her anymore and they were CLOSE. Regan is just all about getting those sponsored videos in and it's sad because she WAS genuine and now she's just another Katytastic. Nothing is wrong with sponsored videos but she posts them all the time it's crazy.

Some others to watch out for are some of these newer booktubers who seem to be making quite a jump in subscribers like SaraWithoutAnH, there's nothing original or even slightly interesting about her channel and she's basically a replica of the popular crowd and I love how richard without saying her name spilt tea about how she dropped him once she hit 5k and began talking to the popular crowd supposedly they told her to drop him and she did and another booktuber told richard about it and of course he tweeted about it. Everyone knew it was her he was talking about it because he kept giving slight hints it was like playing Clue :rofl: Funnily they are still following each other on twitter but probably have each other muted or something. EmmmaBooks is another one who's moving up and it's the same with her, I guess as long as you only read popular YA, are a white, female and love to gush about OTPS and ships and fangirl all the time, you're pretty much set to become big on booktube. :rofl:

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

Post by NicoleThePickle »

TheUnMarySue wrote:He is aware of this and has talked about it on Twitter. Supposedly it wasn't a private convo those popular booktubers were having with the publishers it was out in the open with a lot of whispering like high school.

Sasha's book sounds like some typical YA crap and Lindsay Cummings is just a user so it should be interesting how that book works out. Sasha will be able to call herself an author now and it's so unworthy. I can't wait to see what happens when Jesse and Katytastic announce they have books all of sudden coming out.

Don't even get me started on PeruseProject. From what I hear WhittyNovels doesn't really talk to her anymore and they were CLOSE. Regan is just all about getting those sponsored videos in and it's sad because she WAS genuine and now she's just another Katytastic. Nothing is wrong with sponsored videos but she posts them all the time it's crazy.

Some others to watch out for are some of these newer booktubers who seem to be making quite a jump in subscribers like SaraWithoutAnH, there's nothing original or even slightly interesting about her channel and she's basically a replica of the popular crowd and I love how richard without saying her name spilt tea about how she dropped him once she hit 5k and began talking to the popular crowd supposedly they told her to drop him and she did and another booktuber told richard about it and of course he tweeted about it. Everyone knew it was her he was talking about it because he kept giving slight hints it was like playing Clue :rofl: Funnily they are still following each other on twitter but probably have each other muted or something. EmmmaBooks is another one who's moving up and it's the same with her, I guess as long as you only read popular YA, are a white, female and love to gush about OTPS and ships and fangirl all the time, you're pretty much set to become big on booktube. :rofl:
Where did you hear about Whitney and Regan falling out? They're two of the bigger smaller booktubers I enjoy and it's too bad about Regan going down the path of over sponserships. I suppose I can't judge her though because who wouldn't take those opportunities?

Scarlett_R
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Scarlett_R »

Has anyone noticed how many of the "original" youtubers still make videos but seemingly no one watches them? Like ElizzieBooks, ChapterChicks, etc.

For example, Elizziebooks has 32k subscribers and gets like 500 views per video. In a way, I kind of feel bad for her because I get the impression for a while she really wanted this to be her job.

I wonder what it is about some booktubers that causes people to lose interest...

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

I just watched Jesse's Intimidating TBR video(I'm not sure why I watched it either) and he talked about how he's only read about 60 pages of the sequel to The 5th Wave but it "bored the heck out of [him]" and then he said something like "Wow. That was harsh. I apologize. Maybe the book just isn't for me".

It's just odd to me, how even if he isn't paid to not be mean about a book, he still is too afraid to just be harsh and dislike a book. I guess it just felt so close to any sort of criticism from a book booktuber, even if he just attacked it with no real actual backing.

I don't know if this actually made any sense, but I wanted to say that.

Alaska Berger
Learner
Learner

Post by Alaska Berger »

Hey! I recently found a BookTuber (well, she also does some music related/personal-ish things as well) called Rainbow Skychild. She's funny, has good points, and has taken jabs at the bigger crowd without being mean about it (

She said that her camera was lost or stolen so all her recent things are done using a webcam so it's shotty quality, but I enjoy her stuff anyways. Sorry if we've mentioned her before.

wildestdreams144
Lurker
Lurker

Post by wildestdreams144 »

Has anyone else realised that Christine doesn't read that much anymore apart from the booksplosion book of the month, i mean she gets all these books from publisher's never reviews them just shows them in hauls and thats it!

TheUnMarySue
Learner
Learner

Post by TheUnMarySue »

The Whitney and Regan I thing I heard about on tumblr, I don't know if it is true but they haven't tweeted each other in months so I'm thinking it is.

Jesse being scared to say something bad about a book is one of the reasons why I don't watch him anymore. He can't even be critical and it's so fucking sad and him defending the shit out of the Peregrine movie is hilarious because you can tell he doesn't like it but he's holding his tongue because his head is so far up Random Riggs's ass. :rofl: Christine is so into all this attention she's getting for moving up on youtube that she's not reading much. She's probably trying to make this her job and neglecting reading but to each their own I guess.

Max from well done books got called out by Richard and some other smaller youtuber again for the lack of diversity on the booktube vidcon panel and instead of going after Richard because we know he's scared of him he went after the other girl I think her name is Bookish Realm and tried to come for her but being "civil" about it. He's such a little shit, I don't get why people like him. :roll:

Another thing I hate is when booktubers get books from publishers and don't read them when they ASK for them. Like why even send out inquires for review copies if you're just going to haul it and then show it in an unhaul months later. To me it's just taking advantage of publishers.

slippers4days
Learner
Learner

Post by slippers4days »

Whats with the stupid hula hoop obsession going through booktube. Emmmabooks started it (and is really good at it and it goes with her aesthetic) and now so many people are doing it and posting mediocre videos on facebook and twitter.

Also I agree about the newer booktubers and their similarities, like Chami (Reads Like Wildfire), Sarahwithoutanh, SarahSunbeemz, LovingDemBooks and EmmmaBooks. They all are yelling about YA books and gaining subscribers rapidly

But I am glad to see people like Novels&Nonsense getting lots of attention

NicoleThePickle
Debater
Debater

TheUnMarySue wrote:The Whitney and Regan I thing I heard about on tumblr, I don't know if it is true but they haven't tweeted each other in months so I'm thinking it is.
If you find the post or whatever you got your info about this from, can you post a link here?

Beauty+Burrito

Post by Beauty+Burrito »

I'm not a huge Christine supporter because, like other popular YA booktubers, she doesn't give honest opinions on books, however (!!) I'm so happy she pretty much owned up to what absolute sh*t that shadowhunter show is/was. Okay, so she had to defend herself in a lot of videos and probably add in stuff she "liked" because people didn't enjoy her honest opinions, but I'm glad she was mostly truthful.
I've noticed now that that the popular ones all have obvious connections that they will never hate on, even if they hate their book or movie adaptation. Tasha with Pierce, most of them with that Maas chick that ruined her first two/three novels with terrible character development, Jesse with Ransom, Christine with Cassandra Clare, and basically everyone with Colleen Hoover. :rofl:

Also, I'm laughing my butt off at Sasha "writing" a novel. She's the most immature one on booktube, so I can't wait to see the crap she "writes". (I mean, really, Cumming is probably writing the whole thing and is just using Sasha's name to get more people to buy it. It's an ebook ffs.)

bookfits
Learner
Learner

Post by bookfits »

Beauty+Burrito wrote:I'm not a huge Christine supporter because, like other popular YA booktubers, she doesn't give honest opinions on books, however (!!) I'm so happy she pretty much owned up to what absolute sh*t that shadowhunter show is/was. Okay, so she had to defend herself in a lot of videos and probably add in stuff she "liked" because people didn't enjoy her honest opinions, but I'm glad she was mostly truthful.
I've noticed now that that the popular ones all have obvious connections that they will never hate on, even if they hate their book or movie adaptation. Tasha with Pierce, most of them with that Maas chick that ruined her first two/three novels with terrible character development, Jesse with Ransom, Christine with Cassandra Clare, and basically everyone with Colleen Hoover. :rofl:

Also, I'm laughing my butt off at Sasha "writing" a novel. She's the most immature one on booktube, so I can't wait to see the crap she "writes". (I mean, really, Cumming is probably writing the whole thing and is just using Sasha's name to get more people to buy it. It's an ebook ffs.)
Ngl I loved reading/seeing the massive backlash against Christine, mostly because it was so refreshing/different to the usual gag-worthy fest of praise from her fans. Then again, they were defending TMI/Shadowhunters (which is a terrible series) so it seems to negate that, but then again the TMI fandom has a bad rep for being full of rabid fans so, there's that...

Kat is the only one I could buy wanting to write books, because she started off making videos about NaNoWriMo. Everyone else just sounds like they're in it for the added popularity to their channel, to be the big youtubers who get book deals, but less flack for it because they are actual ~readers~ (of shitty books, but I digress) and not so transparent in their profit/attention-seeking ways.

I've said it before, but it probably comes down to the mentality that being critical = being negative, and how you have to love something that is pure and above being problematic and that these guys don't want to lose subs. And they couldn't do a proper book review to save their life, but that's besides the point.

If I had a booktube channel, I would love to read/offer constructive criticism and critique the absolute hell out of *all* of their (as in big booktubers) book if they ever publish it. But then life's too short to read shitty books, and I don't think I'd have the nerve/energy dealing with their butthurt feelings and the swarm of the minions' wrath they'd throw onto me for disliking it. :roll:

Scarlett_R
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Scarlett_R »

TheUnMarySue wrote:The Whitney and Regan I thing I heard about on tumblr, I don't know if it is true but they haven't tweeted each other in months so I'm thinking it is.

Jesse being scared to say something bad about a book is one of the reasons why I don't watch him anymore. He can't even be critical and it's so fucking sad and him defending the shit out of the Peregrine movie is hilarious because you can tell he doesn't like it but he's holding his tongue because his head is so far up Random Riggs's ass. :rofl: Christine is so into all this attention she's getting for moving up on youtube that she's not reading much. She's probably trying to make this her job and neglecting reading but to each their own I guess.

Max from well done books got called out by Richard and some other smaller youtuber again for the lack of diversity on the booktube vidcon panel and instead of going after Richard because we know he's scared of him he went after the other girl I think her name is Bookish Realm and tried to come for her but being "civil" about it. He's such a little shit, I don't get why people like him. :roll:

Another thing I hate is when booktubers get books from publishers and don't read them when they ASK for them. Like why even send out inquires for review copies if you're just going to haul it and then show it in an unhaul months later. To me it's just taking advantage of publishers.
What exactly did Well Done Books/ Bookish Realm say about the lack of diversity on the panel? In Max's defense, he's not arranging it so I don't see her point.

I just went to their twitters and couldn't find anything. We need to get better about screen shotting shit like this haha :?

wildestdreams144
Lurker
Lurker

Post by wildestdreams144 »

Haha.. Sasha posted a video on Instagram of her ''working on Zenith'' i wonder if she looks at this thread and has seen comments saying that Linsday is writing it all and just using Sasha to get people to buy it.

Return to “BookTube”