Booktubers Part 10

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Booktubers Part 10

Post by TheBookishBabe »

This was a good video. And I agree about eanting Booktubers to have more in depth disscussions about books

BasicBooktuber1
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by BasicBooktuber1 »

TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Given the content of the books, I'm not surprised that some of SJM's loudest fans would do things like this. Marines makes such thoughtful measured content and seeing how some people respond to it is enraging.

Arriahj
Learner
Learner

Post by Arriahj »

BasicBooktuber1 wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:29 am
TheBookishBabe wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:42 pm
Given the content of the books, I'm not surprised that some of SJM's loudest fans would do things like this. Marines makes such thoughtful measured content and seeing how some people respond to it is enraging.
Yes I wasn't surprised either those fans are something else. I watch her videos here and there and she really go into detail and I like it. One thing I notice with SJM fans is they are so quick to say "will she wrote it when she was 17?" Okay Soo if it not good why should I give the second book a tried 🤦🏾‍♀️🤷🏿‍♀️.

Arriahj
Learner
Learner

Post by Arriahj »

I see we on the illegal downloading books subject again

Arriahj
Learner
Learner

Post by Arriahj »

I don't even follow them and still pop up on my TL

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

Arriahj wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:20 am
I don't even follow them and still pop up on my TL

Listen, the authors are being straight raggedy with this discourse. Whining about having to go back to working regular 40 hrs a week jobs because they can't live off writing alone and blaming readers for their publishers underpaying them.

Rin is a mess and they stay jumping in to drama. People with the means in the US pirating books are a small percentage of pirates. Their entire guilt thread about having to take a telecomm job was just not it.

There's no way to measure how much they've lost in illegal downloads vs actual sales. Where are they getting figures from to make such statements? :roll:
These users thanked the author TheBookishBabe for the post:
CocoZ (Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:45 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

amourtality
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by amourtality »

There's no way Rin is being serious. I'm pretty people in non western countries are the ones who mostly pirate books/movies due to inaccessibility. "You really think poor people can use third party programs" YES!! Most people in general have phones and access to internet. Don't speak for poor people/people who live in third world countries, I bet you haven't experienced either of those things :roll: All it takes is Googling the website...it's not an expense. When I visited my cousin in Egypt she casually pulled up a free movies website, I bet she doesn't even know it's "illegal" lol it's not a big deal. I'm flabbergasted at the ignorance. Who told Rin that people in third world countries just "do not read the expensive books at all"?? The foolery :roll:

Anyway I'm going to continue pirating any book and movie I want :D
These users thanked the author amourtality for the post (total 7):
CocoZ (Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:44 pm) • greysweatpants20 (Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:56 pm) • hypnicjerk (Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:01 pm) • softhurricane (Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:36 am) • sophisays (Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:44 am) • thenightmaremaven (Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:52 pm) • oh_do_tell (Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:52 am)
Rating: 63.64%

laurasommeils
Debater
Debater

Post by laurasommeils »

Tbh as somebody from South America who is middle class: there are very few bookstores in my country that sell books in english, and the books they sell are mostly classics or if an author gets really hyped up like Stephen King, Rick Riordan, the times in which John Green was popular, stuff like that. And when they finally bring one of the books you wanted, is... five years after it was published! The only way you can actually buy the books you want is Bookdepository, and my country's coin is very devalued so if you convert pesos to dollars, is... a lot of money you have to spend for something that is cheap... if you actually live in USA. And the "free delivery" isn't actually really free because the final price of the book changes based on the location you've put. Plus, the postal service in my country is really shitty and the time this year that I tried to buy a book, the order was canceled.
It really isn't as easy as going to a library sale and getting a book for one dollar, or going to a bookshop in which you have an actual good sale, we don't have those kind of things! And libraries themselves don't actually have a big catalogue, libraries in my country don't even lend ebooks or audiobooks, it'll probably be years before that is even an option.
And tbh, the people who are pirating the books, if they're on a similar situation as the one I described, are... really not going to buy those books. I read books and if I disliked them I just delete them, if they're just ok reads I probably never re-read them and if they're books that I've loved, I do try to save up the money and buy a physical copy of it through Bookdepository.
These users thanked the author laurasommeils for the post (total 5):
CocoZ (Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:49 pm) • _mei (Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:01 pm) • sophisays (Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:44 am) • thenightmaremaven (Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:51 pm) • oh_do_tell (Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:53 am)
Rating: 45.45%

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

Yeah that was a surprisingly ignorant take from someone who should know better. I really, really do get that authors are exploited and I think it's quite frankly shameful that the overwhelming majority of authors have to work full time despite regularly writing books. The compensation comes out to well below minimum wage for most writers and that's something the entire book community should be outraged about. But acting as if piracy is the reason behind that exploitation is just dumb and needlessly alienates readers. It's one thing to encourage people to buy or at least use their local libraries whenever possible but that twitter rant just was not it.
These users thanked the author greysweatpants20 for the post (total 3):
laurasommeils (Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:08 pm) • CocoZ (Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:21 am) • TheBookishBabe (Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:24 pm)
Rating: 27.27%

laurasommeils
Debater
Debater

Post by laurasommeils »

greysweatpants20 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:09 pm
Yeah that was a surprisingly ignorant take from someone who should know better. I really, really do get that authors are exploited and I think it's quite frankly shameful that the overwhelming majority of authors have to work full time despite regularly writing books. The compensation comes out to well below minimum wage for most writers and that's something the entire book community should be outraged about. But acting as if piracy is the reason behind that exploitation is just dumb and needlessly alienates readers. It's one thing to encourage people to buy or at least use their local libraries whenever possible but that twitter rant just was not it.
Exactly. I understand it can be frustrating, but I think is way better, like you've said, to focus on encouraging people to buy their books or borrow them from libraries to be able to do so, or for example share when there are sales on them as ebooks.
The thing with piracy is, at least in my especific case (since I can't speak for everybody), the access to books is just not the same as it is in other countries. Both regarding actually being able to get them (as in, the bookstores actually choosing to import that book so they can sell it), and also being able to pay for them ( because they're really really really expensive and really few people here could do the whole "I bought 10 books in one month!" haul). And tbh, piracy also helps me to read books and actually know they exist (because without piracy they really would've never reached my hands anyways, so...), so the ones I do love, I actually try to buy to have a physical copy of them. And the ones I dislike or find just "meh" I actually never re-read them and I usually delete the book, so I do take that as "borrowing from the library".
And like you've said, it does alienate readers, when you see an author being actually hurtful or petty, because piracy for a lot of people is pretty much the only way they can access books, and the "solutions" or accusations they're making aren't really going to solve the cause of it.

softhurricane
Stalker
Stalker
Been thanked: 0

Post by softhurricane »

What's everyone's opinion on the Benjamin Alire Saenz controversy?

This is the twitter thread :

CocoZ
Learner
Learner

Post by CocoZ »

softhurricane wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 am

There's a character being ignorant and transphobic in the book, that doesn't mean that the author is transphobic. Representing how people act in real life does not mean that the author condones that behavior. We talk about this over and over again.
Gendering people and our language is one of the thing that we do automatically, that's a muscular memory thing. His mistake was not to doble check the second twit, he failed 2 out of 5 times but he's trying and the struggle is real. Accusing people of being transphobic because of slips misgendering when desconstructing motor skills takes práctice it's borderline bad faith argument. If the person apologize, understands that It is hurtful for trans people and says they'll try harder but people keep piling up It's lógic to block. Cyber harassment is anxiety inducing, no matter how many followers u have it's only u behind the screen.
All that said, while i do not condone piling up, i would keep an eye on him, because he is a grown man, a YA author of LGBT books, that should be more aware about trans issues and know better
These users thanked the author CocoZ for the post (total 2):
CelestiaLudenbergIRL (Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:03 pm) • softhurricane (Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am)
Rating: 18.18%

greysweatpants20
Informer
Informer

Post by greysweatpants20 »

softhurricane wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:11 am

Misgendering is never okay and he should be firmly corrected each time he gets it wrong. It does not matter that it was an accident, trans people do not have to be polite about misgendering.

As for the quotes, writers are under no obligation to write morally pure and politically correct characters. This is fiction, not an after school special. The micromanagement of art in the twitter book community has got to stop.
These users thanked the author greysweatpants20 for the post (total 3):
CelestiaLudenbergIRL (Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:37 pm) • ahirudenka (Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:17 pm) • softhurricane (Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:59 am)

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

amourtality wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:11 pm
There's no way Rin is being serious. I'm pretty people in non western countries are the ones who mostly pirate books/movies due to inaccessibility. "You really think poor people can use third party programs" YES!! Most people in general have phones and access to internet. Don't speak for poor people/people who live in third world countries, I bet you haven't experienced either of those things :roll: All it takes is Googling the website...it's not an expense. When I visited my cousin in Egypt she casually pulled up a free movies website, I bet she doesn't even know it's "illegal" lol it's not a big deal. I'm flabbergasted at the ignorance. Who told Rin that people in third world countries just "do not read the expensive books at all"?? The foolery :roll:

Anyway I'm going to continue pirating any book and movie I want :D
I can't remember what her name is but there's a Booktuber who is originally from Barbados and lives in Canada working in publishing. She says she can't tell anyone to pirate books but she won't tell them not to because growing up in the Caribbean she knows how you can just go down to the market and buy bootleg movies like it's nothing. And she also knows how much it cost her to save up an buy a series she wanted to read.

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

greysweatpants20 wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:09 pm
Ashley had a tweet about libraries responding to the, "Just use the library!" resolution authors were putting forward

That part was actually funny considering YA authors always act like a library request doesn't translate into a purchase(mind you libraries spend more for books than the average consumer and often buy multiple copies) they never encourage library requests outside of piracy convo. Most don't even include library request option in their pre-order campaigns.
These users thanked the author TheBookishBabe for the post:
_mei (Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:05 pm)

Callan
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Callan »

I don't get how Regan from Peruse Project is moving from NYC back to Texas, and is doing book unhauls, then buys like 50 books in a shopping spree, not sure if it's sponsored but what?? I just moved, packing books took us two weeks, whaaaaaat the heck.

_mei
Learner
Learner

Post by _mei »

God Rin's rant has my blood boiling. I'm really wondering if they realize that there's a difference between growing up in poverty vs growing up in a "poor" country bc they're coming off like someone who grew up in manilla with a live in nanny + a chauffeur. Its so ironic that theyre complaining about bad takes from privlilged americans when I'm pretty sure most of the backlash is coming from people in the global south/lower class people.

Also, if they're admitting to writing just for a pay check, I'm wondering what that says about the quality/integrity of their books...
These users thanked the author _mei for the post (total 3):
CocoZ (Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 am) • sophisays (Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:17 am) • laurasommeils (Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:09 pm)

TheBookishBabe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheBookishBabe »

_mei wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:03 pm
God Rin's rant has my blood boiling. I'm really wondering if they realize that there's a difference between growing up in poverty vs growing up in a "poor" country bc they're coming off like someone who grew up in manilla with a live in nanny + a chauffeur. Its so ironic that theyre complaining about bad takes from privlilged americans when I'm pretty sure most of the backlash is coming from people in the global south/lower class people.

Also, if they're admitting to writing just for a pay check, I'm wondering what that says about the quality/integrity of their books...
When they complained about having to give up writing for a better paying job I had no sympathy.

LaurieShelby
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LaurieShelby »

Also a lot of countries don't have libraries like the ones you have in the USA. In my libraries i can find maybe one copy of a famous YA title and that's only if it's translated and sometimes that's it. They have more academic/ local books or books for school. like i can find copies of classics because they are mandatory for school but it's really difficult to find rin's books (for example) because they are not translated and even if they were the system in my country is not the same as the one in USA. When i went there to study english for one month i was amazed because the library was like a gigantic office and they had tons of books. During that month I've only read the books i got from the library and when i came back to my country i was like oh shit. The difference is HUGE. Just my experience with libraries and i guess every country is different and the access to books change.
These users thanked the author LaurieShelby for the post:
sophisays (Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:20 am)

CocoZ
Learner
Learner

Post by CocoZ »

Just this week I've been fuming because the only online place we might get access to cheap seconhand books its Facebook Marketplace and it had already very few options but now out of nowhere a bunch of rich people showed up promoting their Instagram pages where they sell their used books for almost the same price than brand new books because "there's no more copies in bookstores, you wont find It anywhere in the country" (Uruguay is tiny) and everybody else is now making the books they're selling more expensive and if you try to sell them for cheap the rich ones are going to try to buy them all from you for unacceptable prices and then proceed to re-sell them asking for a lot more 😡😡😡 I'm so pissed. Give us a break.
Authors need to fucking face that they're being scammed by the publishing industry and stop punching down

Return to “BookTube”