Alivia D'Andrea

Brinez
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Alivia D'Andrea

Post by Brinez »

I think it’s hilarious that she postponed season 3 several months and is still editing it right now??? Girl you have had this filmed for MONTHS why are you editing it 3 days before it’s meant to be up?
She really is struggling with sticking to a schedule

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Amsterdaaam
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Amsterdaaam »

I was so surprised to see her still editing at the beginning of the week. What did she even do all those months? I'm pretty sure she didn't go back to school after she went travelling but idk. She is also getting ripped a new one under her community post announcing ANOTHER delay. Pretty shocking considering this forum used to be the only place people really talked about her being flaky. Maybe she used to delete those comments calling her out? She'll probably delay it even more now because of all those comments hah

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by catcherintherye »

She has so much self hate. Season 2 of Glow up diaries is a mess. She’s lost a lot of weight and looks great but she seems to still have a very disordered outlook towards eating and a deep denial of her ED. She has suffered from binge eating for years and years. Now, she is claiming her disordered eating is cured? She got so much hate on her community posts and merch photos that she hid her community tab. One of her merch photos looks like thinspo. Ngl.

This chick is filthy rich. Why did she ever see a therapist? She says she didn’t want to ‘identify as a binge eater’?? Even now that she is okay, she is claiming some self help book and Steve Zim helped her? That guy is a celebrity trainer. He trains celebrities who are already fit. They go on restrictive diets And rigorous workout regimens to get fit in a short amount of time. What experience does he have dealing with someone with ED? She is also shilling his online program. You’re gonna get fit through one on one sessions which cost $250/hr and then shill his online program?

She’s already slacking on her upload schedule. The first episode was delayed by 2 months. Then she teased episode two was going to release a day earlier. Forget the early release, it’s still not out. Isn’t this her only job? She doesn’t even go to school. What does she do all day?

She’s a good filmmaker, but that’s the extent of her talent, tbh. She should stop trying to be a beacon of positivity. It’s fake. She doesn’t apply it to her own life. She gets away with a lot because every time she fails, her rich family is there to catch her.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

vasarir wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 4:21 pm
in the trailer for the new season it also doesn't look good. like I haven't watched her in a while but still being "strong minded" and everything... might be personal but it still sound disordered to me. I clicked off bc I was like why don't u just chill :/ why obsess soo much. sure being healthy is good, but I don't like the energy I get from her.

anyways maybe she healed as much as the info box said ^^
She reminds me of a friend who used to be a ballerina just like her. Despite having struggled with it for so many years, she is in denial. It’s sad that she stigmatizes food so much. Even in the previous season, she had claimed to have educated herself but she ended up going on a year long bender.

Brinez
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Brinez »

People are really starting to be fed up with her constant delaying of this episode. I also just dont understand why she does those announcements still? Does she herself think that she can actually stick to those dates or is she just generating traffic on her sites by having people constantly check and ask for new episodes?
I mean this week she kept teasing that the episode would be out early, at some point she specifically said monday. then it wasnt monday anymore but "sooner than you think" (so before wednesday, which would be the regular update day), then it wasnt even out on wednesday - so she said thursday. and now its friday and still nothing, except for one insta story about how she is almost finished.
like girl, just shut up, edit and post it when its ready. most of your subscribers wouldnt mind?? it just makes her look lazy, undisciplined and lowkey stupid.
I get that its a lot of work to upload 40min videos and I get that she might be stressed and overworked rn, she is constantly posting about only getting 2-4 hours of sleep and whatnot. But thats kinda like me complaining about how much I have to study a week before my exams, when I damn well know I slacked of months and months in advance. Like she doesnt have to do this all in a week, she had MONTHS. this is her job. and the fact that she cant drop the whole "I am so hardworking Im doing so great look at me hustling isnt this inspirational"-persona just kinda pisses me off. Just be honest, say you kinda fucked up, and didnt do much editing in advance and now the workload is overwhelming. Just skip a week or two of uploading, actually edit some stuff in advance and then maybe you can stick to the schedule.
Its clearly fucked now anyway so might as well take another break.

So thats my hot take on her upload schedule, which honestly just kinda pisses me off because I am bored at home and want something to watch, the more serious problem is definitely her attitude in S2.
Im not diagnosing her with an ED obviously, I dont know her and I think its a pretty rude thing to do. However I personally did struggle with one, for over 8 years and a lot of her behaviour absolutely reminds me of myself when I was doing really badly.
Im kinda similar to Alivia height and weight wise, which makes the comparison more apparent to me. Because she was never "big", she just wasnt stick thin and she ate a lot of unhealthy stuff. Same for me, I was never even close to overweight but I also thought I would need to be super slim in order to be healthy and happy (mostly I wanted other people to think I was healthy and happy tbh, because lets be real: society has a real problem with accepting that someone with BMI 22/23 might be fitter and more healthy than someone really slim with BMI 19 - even though both are healthy BMI's, just on the opposite end of the healthy spectrum).
I went through those phases when I thought I had healed my disordered behaviour by just "being tough" and "staying in control". Those where the times I was slim and I worked out and I looked good but I only loved myself and I was only happy with myself because I "looked good enough". And at some point you just cant keep up anymore. Maybe you get ill for a week or maybe you cant focus on food/workout for a while or whatever and you gain a bit of weight and all that security just comes crashing down around you, because your perfect body, your security blanket, is stripped away.
and you have to face the fact that you havent changed that much after all. you are still insecure and you are still obsessive about your body and the bingeing starts again.
I think the point should be to learn that your appearance doesnt matter. and that you need to learn to love yourself no matter what you look like. and i dont mean "love yourself even though you are still chubby bc you will be slim if you stick to your diet eventually" i mean just love your body. love it for being able to walk and train it because its fucking dope to get stronger and be able to move more and go places. what you look like really shouldnt ever define how you feel, because its so fucking temporary.
you will gain weight at some points in your life, its normal. you also age. you might get scars at some point or loose your hair or loose teeth or just fucking age in general. you wont always look your best is my point. and if you think you need to look your best to be happy then sorry but there just wont be that much happiness in your life i think.
she says she wants to focus on just being healthy but posting all those before and afters that CLEARLY just focus on her appearance is the wrong way to go

again, I dont know if Alivia has an ED. She might be fine, she might be happy now and able to stick to her lifestyle and she might have had a big internal change in her attitude. who knows.
But she has so so many young, impressionable people watching her and that just seems like a recipe for disaster. So many people already pointed out that just "being mentally tough" wont solve their BED issues and framing it like it just means you are lazy and weak is very, very hurtful.
Im just scared that some young girls sit at home in their room struggling, and instead of getting the help they need and deserve they just keep putting themselves down and thinking they lack discipline and are weak.

ugh. im sorry this was a long rant but i am pretty passionate about the topic

ineededaname
Learner
Learner

Post by ineededaname »

So glad I found this thread as it mirrors what I've been thinking as well!

I got kind of hooked on her glow up series last year in the early days of the pandemic, (lol was trying to channel my own inner glow up back then. Ha no thanks now!) I found Alivia's struggle with food and weight and how it was so consuming of her thoughts and life very relatable as it is something I've very much struggled with. Particularly the overeating/BED stuff. Over time though her continual spouting of certain phrases and other little things got incredibly annoying and I realised that her glow up is only focused on just losing weight / physical appearance and wasn't looking to seriously change harmful thought patterns. I guess the only reason I'm still around for this 'season' is just morbid curiosity tbh.

Also I have to also say she is shocking at sticking to deadlines and uploads. Like sweetie, you need to add that as a goal for your glow up because this is a shambles. Like I just saw her insta stories where she's saying all she does is edit at the moment and all kind of other excuses. Trying to get people to pity her and it infuriated me.

Firstly - no one told you to set it to weekly uploads, you could have made it fortnightly and people would have been fine. Secondly, you hinted at it coming out early and it's now several days late (nearly a week by the time it goes up) like what on earth happened there to make you think it was going up early? Thirdly, stop saying you're a one woman band and you're producing effectively a tv show. No one asked for each episode to be 40+ mins. I'm sure some people wouldn't mind 20 minutes if it meant stuff was more regular. And that's not even taking into account that she originally said November, then December - so like what the hell have you been doing all this time? Tbh I don't really know why she wasn't editing some of the main body of the stuff during all of this. Like the voice overs and end stuff I can understand but it all just seems so haphazard and not really thought out.

I think I find it funny that she posts all this motivational stuff but at the end of the day, she's not sticking to deadlines and getting her content out so it just makes a bit of a mockery of everything she says.

Tbh though, I'm saying all this stuff but I still fully intend to watch episode 2.

dragonslayer456
Lurker
Lurker

Post by dragonslayer456 »

Am I the only one who is thoroughly confused by the trajectory of her 'glow up'...?

I'm not a huge fan of hers or anything, but I have watched all of her videos at the time that they came out. She's been 'glowing up' for years and years now, right? And that must mean that she was making these supposedly motivating and inspiring videos when she was at dark points? I don't get it.

Stop dragging along your audience-- it's getting really old. It's the same content over and over again. Constantly promising more motivational content, results, how-to's and never getting to an actually meaningful point-- at this point it's just plain manipulative and deceitful.

catcherintherye
Gossiper
Gossiper

This chick reminds me of Cassandra Bankson who purposefully did not seek proper treatment for acne so she could keep creating YouTube videos and rake in money. I just don’t get her. She spouts a lot of motivational bullshit but applies practically nothing to her life. Dropped out of college, went to China for a year on a whim. What on earth is she doing? She hasn’t shared a word about what she learned in China except that she went there to learn languages. This teaming up with Steve Zim was definitely for content. I am assuming there will be a season 3 where she will realize motivational quotes and self help books didn’t help her recover from BED and finally see a therapist. Next episode is going to be a major cringefest of brain rewiring and toughening up aka having the option to have zero responsibilites, working out with a celebrity trainer, going on yet another yo yo diet and taking months to edit one video.

pretzelbaby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by pretzelbaby »

I don't mean to be such a harsh critique of Alivia, but here are a few things I dislike about her / her Glow Up Diary series:

1. Her latest episode includes a HelloFresh ad. and she explains it as being an aide in her ability to be as productive and efficient as possible whilst editing season 2 of her series... yet the time frame of the series & seasons feel like a disorganized wreck as they all take place in 2019/2020... I don't even know anymore. I can't keep up with her anymore.
2. There are many clips of her trying to capture herself being emotional, working hard, or reciting a "motivational" monologue that almost comes off cringey and comedic because it's difficult to take her seriously. I know that by including these clips she's trying to recreate a reality TV series like feel, but due to the poor production quality... it comes off scripted and unrelatable.
3. She talks about how she doesn't have a gym and you don't need a gym to get fit or workout but she has a treadmill, & resides in an area where harsh winter conditions don't seem to be an issue. So of course working out outdoors is always an option for her. I'm sure she's also generating an income from her YT channel + her family seems quite well off financially so I find that her trying to be "relatable" by talking about not having access to equipment/resources translates to her not recognizing the privilege's she has in her own life.

Alivia just feels very disingenuous and does not pass the vibe check for me, but I'm also not her average young & gullible audience so...

punk_barbie
Learner
Learner

Post by punk_barbie »

How-to Glow Up Diary series:
First step: Be a privileged kid from a rich family who doesn't want to have a day job
Second step: Gain some weight because you have nothing meaningful to contribute
Third step: Poor kid has to hire a celebrity fitness coach who helps you losing weight
Fourth step: Make a YT-series out of it to get attention and money by selling products to your audience with random motivational quotes

In my honest opinion this lady gained weight on purpose such that she can tell a story and monetize it because everything seems so staged.

pretzelbaby
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by pretzelbaby »

punk_barbie wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:49 am
How-to Glow Up Diary series:
First step: Be a privileged kid from a rich family who doesn't want to have a day job
Second step: Gain some weight because you have nothing meaningful to contribute
Third step: Poor kid has to hire a celebrity fitness coach who helps you losing weight
Fourth step: Make a YT-series out of it to get attention and money by selling products to your audience with random motivational quotes

In my honest opinion this lady gained weight on purpose such that she can tell a story and monetize it because everything seems so staged.
After browsing her YouTube & IG page, it really does seem like she bummed around for a while because she had no other obligations in life & gained weight out of laziness ...Like damn I want that kind of life style

Lala-Lander
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lala-Lander »

I know right ?!

I really feel sorry that she has to go through that much mental pain, but her acting like she's so miserable even though she has literally everything on a golden plate has been getting on my nerves.

Rich kid doesn't have to work her *ss off day and night to actually be able to buy some white rice. Going on whimsical trips to the other side of the world and staying in high class hotels when feeling down. She stated she gained that money by herself, but it's pretty obvious (and she DOES make it obvious herself) that her family is super rich to begin with. Like owning a car and good filming/photography equipments at 16-17, and even now she has quite a big apartment in downtown LA at barely 21... Whether she's renting it or not, it's still super expensive. BTW, her celebrity fitness coach must have costed a lot too.

Me jealous ? Yeah totally and I'm not scared to say it. Like, I wish I HAD actual time to workout that much and still not working out and eating whatever I want whenever I want without worrying about not having enough savings to buy some toilet paper HAHAHAHA

I'm not saying she's not having a hard time. But she actually has guts to say that you don't need to have a gym close by to take ahold of yourself and workout like she does, when her parents own such a big house AND a pool... And despite not working at all she has the money to actually CHOOSE what she's eating.

She say so proudly that she doesn't have ED but "disordered eating" and i DO believe that disordered eating doesn't necessarily come with ED, but then if she doesn't have ED why is she worrying so much about what's in her plate ? Like recently she posted something on IG about "eating smart", like oh yeah it's SO healthy to be like "omg lets not eat rice but mashed cauliflower instead, just make it look like rice"...

I don't even hate her to begin with, but she's been getting worse and worse.

Hopefully she's gonna realize someday that she's been ridiculous (like we all do when we reach a certain age), I mean, she's still young. And obviously not aware that not weighing the same you did at 14/15 years old IS normal.

TuberTea
Stalker
Stalker

Post by TuberTea »

I have been watching her videos for a while now, but the last few have been irking me. As someone with an ED, I kept and open mind with her whole, disordered-eating post and the ferocity in which she defended herself against commenters. Now, that being said, I just watched a small portion of a live she did on insta, and found myself so annoyed and upset with how she interacted to those commenting. She kept getting distracted with the comments while trying to make a point, and instead of just ignoring the comments while she spoke, ACTUALLY got irritated at the people commenting and said, "OK. GUYS. Seriously. I'm trying to tell you something. Just listen." I mean, seriously? This was only the beginning. Any comment she found annoying, she would just get frustrated and comment on it saying, "Ugh, really? Guys, c'mon, I'm talking about eating now. THIS IS ABOUT EATING." Or eventually, read a comment and said, "Omg, Alivia, Breathe, kindness, Empathy, Patience," to herself... The comment was something like, "Are you going to talk about motivation," or something along those lines. Her reaction was as if this person flat out sent her hate when in fact they just asked a sincere question. Her attitude towards her followers has gotten so ugly, that It's turned me off from watching. She lumps ANY comment she dislikes WITH ALL hateful comments and constructive criticism comments. YouTubing is no small feat and so I understand maybe the hate is just getting to her, but there are THOUSANDS of nice comments and supportive followers that love you. It's okay to be sad or frustrated with harsh comments, but dont blame EVERYONE or make odd and defensive posts about it. It's just becoming so off-putting.

damnita
Learner
Learner

Post by damnita »

Interesting...

El inglés no es mi primer idioma, sorry for the shitty grammar

Lala-Lander
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lala-Lander »

Now she wants to « share experiences and lessons from her perspective in the dating world »... like what does a 21years old girl has to teach people no matter their age about dating ? Especially when the only guys she dates are guys she gets by making a whole advertisement on her social media ? She implied before that she didn’t have much experience in dating because of insecurities lol how desperate and insecure do you have to be to think that you have to use your fame to find people to date even 🤦‍♀️

punk_barbie
Learner
Learner

Post by punk_barbie »

Lala-Lander wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:43 pm
Now she wants to « share experiences and lessons from her perspective in the dating world »... like what does a 21years old girl has to teach people no matter their age about dating ? Especially when the only guys she dates are guys she gets by making a whole advertisement on her social media ? She implied before that she didn’t have much experience in dating because of insecurities lol how desperate and insecure do you have to be to think that you have to use your fame to find people to date even 🤦‍♀️
OMG! This lady wants to avoid a day job at all costs as a self-proclaimed weight-loss expert and dating coach. :D :D

Lala-Lander
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lala-Lander »

punk_barbie wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:42 am
Lala-Lander wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:43 pm
OMG! This lady wants to avoid a day job at all costs as a self-proclaimed weight-loss expert and dating coach. :D :D
I think the biggest problem here is that she’s promoting toxic and dangerous behavior rather than just being lazy. And pretending it’s just her « stepping out of her comfort zone » when she’s basically jumping from one comfort zone (her family/friends circle) to another one (her fan base) 😂😂

And her cute young followers who follow her religiously and genuinely think that they can learn something from her half assed life. She’s trying to date just because she wants some new content on her YouTube channel since for now she’s reached her weight goal. Talk about good motivation... it’s such a shame because she has a real talent in editing filming and stuff. But she’s definitely not mature enough yet to make a reality show out of her life: everybody can see that she can’t handle the negative parts, wether it’s the real criticism or the hating. She just expects everyone to congratulate her for whatever shit she does

babykalechip
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by babykalechip »

Is she ever going to upload again? What happened to her releasing videos on a schedule because her journey is complete and they're "all done"? This series has gone on for like 2+ years and I've lost track of what the point was to begin with.

Lala-Lander
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Lala-Lander »

Seems like she lost motivation again due to all the « negativity » and « hate » she’s been getting. Poor girl just wants validation from everyone else... she’s got real talent in editing but lacks so much self confidence, she’s totally doing YouTube only because she wants to be « useful » to people, does she even like making those videos ? I mean, she keeps running in circles hoping that 100% of her viewers are going to praise her.

Storyteller25
Talker
Talker

Post by Storyteller25 »

I'm really glad there's a thread about her. I used to be really inspired by her season one glow up vids. I've been recovering from an eating disorder and I kinda side-eyed her content when I recognized some quotes commonly used on thinspo I used to look at. The whole celeb trainer episode was a disaster. It made me so incredibly worried for the young teens in her audience. I was under 100 pounds at 17 and felt like death. Thankfully, ten years later, I know that I need to stay away from triggers if I don't want to ruin my life and actually be able to be productive. A 13-17 year old doesn't know better!

Return to “Health & Fitness Influencers”