ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post Reply
User avatar
joyshan13
Debater
Debater
Posts: 189
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:58 pm
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 207 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by joyshan13 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Full disclaimer: I'm in ED recovery. And one of the worst things to do to myself on any given day was to watch other people with EDs/in recovery on YT or Instagram. Maybe it motivates other people but it very much put me back into that horrible mindset. I don't get how watching Elzani crying over food or saying teary-eyed to the camera she's doing "full recovery" over and over again is in any way therapeutic.

Having an ED is incredibly isolating enough. But what I've found (and others may disagree) is that the "recovery warrior" community that's sprung up around it online can often be just as narrow-minded or laced with underhanded competition. There are definitely Queen B's/mean girls of the recovery community who have an obviously large following but seem so alone - no pictures or posts of anything except for how they're recovering.

User avatar
treelee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 3680
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 461 times
Been thanked: 1113 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by treelee » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:32 pm

joyshan13 wrote:Full disclaimer: I'm in ED recovery. And one of the worst things to do to myself on any given day was to watch other people with EDs/in recovery on YT or Instagram. Maybe it motivates other people but it very much put me back into that horrible mindset. I don't get how watching Elzani crying over food or saying teary-eyed to the camera she's doing "full recovery" over and over again is in any way therapeutic.

Having an ED is incredibly isolating enough. But what I've found (and others may disagree) is that the "recovery warrior" community that's sprung up around it online can often be just as narrow-minded or laced with underhanded competition. There are definitely Queen B's/mean girls of the recovery community who have an obviously large following but seem so alone - no pictures or posts of anything except for how they're recovering.
Couldn’t agree more. Pretty much all of the online recovery personas through all the various outlets over the years have been not so helpful imo. Usually they’ve just replaced the Ed obsession with a recovery obsession. Even people I met in treatment I have to be careful about following on sm/seeing irl. It’s weird because I was with a lot of them 24/7 and bore my heart and soul and vice versa. But outside of an ED we don’t always have much in common. And some post/talk about downright triggering stuff. Now that I’m years into recovery I can roll my eyes at it, but that wasn’t always the case. I honestly think it’s more helpful to follow or surround yourself with relatively healthy people than people who get your struggle. Not saying you can’t have those people and they can’t help you, but if you let yourself wallow in how hard it is and thinking about recovery 24/7 you’ll never get past that quasi recovery phase. I really don’t watch these people anymore I just check in or go watch when they’re brought up here because they piss me off or bore me with explaining how it’s okay to eat a sandwich. Like of course it is!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
RandoPotato
Learner
Learner
Posts: 88
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:42 am
Has thanked: 110 times
Been thanked: 72 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by RandoPotato » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:10 pm

treelee wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:38 pm
MerryRose still has a long 3 part waxing anorexia story videos about how skeletal she was and how extreme her ED was as if that actually helps anyone. :roll: And she checked herself out of IP asap to go back to being vegan. So actually, I thought you were talking about her and I'd just forgotten some of the points she made. :rofl: Her recovery is still pretty short term so far and her obsession with HCLF vegan and potentially even raw foods is pretty sketch :? Who's the other YTer? I should really stop watching these fools, but for some reason it kind of draws me in. Also reminds me how much I don't want to go back to thinking about food 24/7
Her name's Emily Kempe. Wasn't even close to MerryRose, lol, I have no idea what my brain was doing when I got that confused.

I get kind of addicted to these too, mostly the my ED story type ones, but I also watch a lot of Supersize vs Superskinny, My 600lb life, etc, so a lot of disordered eating shows/videos.

tt96
Talker
Talker
Posts: 131
Joined: Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:15 pm
Has thanked: 180 times
Been thanked: 167 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by tt96 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:33 pm

lunaluvgood wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm
I can't believe how much weight Christie Swadling has lost now. Its worrying that she was selling that gut reset diet and showing her workout plan. All of the top rated comments on her vids for the last few months have been that of concern.
her eating disorder jumped out when she couldnt go a week without exercising after getting a breast augmentation. she sends a very problematic message

lunaluvgood
Informer
Informer
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 am
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by lunaluvgood » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:12 pm

wilmadawn wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:48 am
lunaluvgood wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm
I can't believe how much weight Christie Swadling has lost now. Its worrying that she was selling that gut reset diet and showing her workout plan. All of the top rated comments on her vids for the last few months have been that of concern.
can't stand her. and also, gut reset??? give me a break. :roll:
I used to like her but she just seems to have replaced anorexia for orthorexia now. Plus she switched veganism for keto. :?
tt96 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:33 pm
lunaluvgood wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm
I can't believe how much weight Christie Swadling has lost now. Its worrying that she was selling that gut reset diet and showing her workout plan. All of the top rated comments on her vids for the last few months have been that of concern.
her eating disorder jumped out when she couldnt go a week without exercising after getting a breast augmentation. she sends a very problematic message
For real. Its shocking and I wouldn't be surprised if she gets some sort of infection. I'm also pretty sure her boob job was sponsored...someone commented that that same company has been working with influencers a lot lately. Nothing against surgery but I hate how influencers get it done for free as it doesn't give an honest account.

User avatar
babysnowflake
Learner
Learner
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by babysnowflake » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Christie swadling's new boobs clash with her bony figure. Also her tan is absurd and she has so much skin damage and aging for being so young :/ she looked so much healthier with some more weight on her.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


jwishy
Debater
Debater
Posts: 198
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:29 am
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 423 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by jwishy » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:21 am

Following!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunaluvgood
Informer
Informer
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 am
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by lunaluvgood » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:24 am

babysnowflake wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:42 pm
Christie swadling's new boobs clash with her bony figure. Also her tan is absurd and she has so much skin damage and aging for being so young :/ she looked so much healthier with some more weight on her.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I know they're still healing but they look HUGE here. Like, mid 2000s glamour model huge. I'm not hating but I don't think she really had enough breast tissue for a boob job to look natural to begin with - she lost it all with this weight loss.

I'm shocked that she's a few years younger than me. I know she's Australian so its kind of hard to avoid the sun, but it seems like she tans on purpose and constantly.

majaxxxx
Talker
Talker
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:33 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by majaxxxx » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:42 am

How old is this chick? She looks 45, but I have a feeling she's younger than me.

User avatar
jaenerys
Learner
Learner
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Apr 25, 2019 8:39 am
Location: wisc
Has thanked: 90 times
Been thanked: 119 times
Contact:

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by jaenerys » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:18 am

lookin' a bit too leather-y
jillibunn.tumblr.com

majaxxxx
Talker
Talker
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:33 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 37 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by majaxxxx » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:06 am

Holy shit, someone on her IG said she is 22. Well ... this is what starvation and excessive tanning does to you.

lunaluvgood
Informer
Informer
Posts: 386
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:10 am
Has thanked: 581 times
Been thanked: 400 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by lunaluvgood » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:11 am

It could just be because she's blonde and so tan, but I noticed in that photo and a few others that her arms looks really furry, compared to around July/August last year when she was a healthy weight.

emlamp10n
Talker
Talker
Posts: 156
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:38 pm
Has thanked: 314 times
Been thanked: 259 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by emlamp10n » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:13 am

majaxxxx wrote:Holy shit, someone on her IG said she is 22. Well ... this is what starvation and excessive tanning does to you.
Sweet Jesus! How is that possible?! She looks like she’s 50!!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwahahahaew
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by mwahahahaew » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:19 am

she used to look so much healthier before - now she looks like a veiny, leather couch with fake boobs

guruanne86
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:49 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by guruanne86 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:16 am





These are from. Only 2 years ago!! She looks sooo much healthier (still tiny, but definitely not in the leather couch, shriveled up way she does now)... Plus her hair line seems to be receding/looks super unhealthy in comparison 😳

mwahahahaew
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by mwahahahaew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:30 am

woah..this was her not even a year ago


User avatar
Guest

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by Guest » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 am

I joined the forum to comment on Christie! So hello, everyone

I want to start with saying that she blocked me on Instagram when I commented "take care of yourself, girl. Try not to spiral back". She obviously relapsed. She is extremely bony and it's painful to watch, from video to video she is getting smaller and smaller. I remember her saying that her ED started because she wanted to look like Miranda Kerr. She is one of the rare types that have their EDs not because of traumas but out of pure vanity. She comes across as very self-centered and self-obsessed and to be honest (although I don't want to sound like a bitch) I am snacking on my popcorn waiting to see what will happen to her. I bet she'll "take time off youtube" v soon.

User avatar
treelee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 3680
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 461 times
Been thanked: 1113 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by treelee » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:40 pm

FlatWhite wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 am
I joined the forum to comment on Christie! So hello, everyone

I want to start with saying that she blocked me on Instagram when I commented "take care of yourself, girl. Try not to spiral back". She obviously relapsed. She is extremely bony and it's painful to watch, from video to video she is getting smaller and smaller. I remember her saying that her ED started because she wanted to look like Miranda Kerr. She is one of the rare types that have their EDs not because of traumas but out of pure vanity. She comes across as very self-centered and self-obsessed and to be honest (although I don't want to sound like a bitch) I am snacking on my popcorn waiting to see what will happen to her. I bet she'll "take time off youtube" v soon.
Meh I don't buy it. That's just a good headline for the articles and an easy out for her. Most (I'd go so far as to reckon all) people who think their ED is all about vanity just haven't really done the right work to figure out the underlying issue. If it were about vanity she'd realize how horrible she looks. Also she "recovered" at first eating a raw til 4/ 80/10/10 diet, so she clearly had some control/orthorexic issues around found. Once she stopped that she started to look better, but obviously that didn't last long. She clearly loves the spotlight though, as she whored out her disorder for the media. Wouldn't be surprised if her relapse is tied into looking for more attention. She wouldn't be the first disordered person to relapse just to get said attention and care that comes with being uber sick.

macro friendly
Informer
Informer
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by macro friendly » Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Does anyone else follow Better Being Steph on IG?

mwahahahaew
Lurker
Lurker
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:31 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by mwahahahaew » Fri May 03, 2019 3:43 am

macro friendly wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 pm
Does anyone else follow Better Being Steph on IG?
yes, i've been watching her stories for a while now and idk how she makes me feel....

littlegarose
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 578
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:36 am
Has thanked: 1217 times
Been thanked: 593 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by littlegarose » Fri May 03, 2019 10:54 am

There is a guy I just started following. His channel is SmokeySteveAndMarc

This was the first vid I saw of his and it was probably the best I've seen:



Him and his BF do daily vids/and vlogs. It's not all about recovery/EDs.

User avatar
babysnowflake
Learner
Learner
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:14 am
Has thanked: 25 times
Been thanked: 76 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by babysnowflake » Sat May 04, 2019 7:06 am

Saw this comment on Christie swadlings Instagram. She is shilling some cleanse supplements now I guess. This person really said it all and very eloquently. Hope she reads this and takes it to heart.Image

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk


macro friendly
Informer
Informer
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by macro friendly » Sat May 04, 2019 3:16 pm

Damn that is SUCH a well-written and true response. I hope she reads it and actually absorbs the words written rather than passing it off as 'hate' or 'trolling'.

macro friendly
Informer
Informer
Posts: 277
Joined: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:09 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 114 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by macro friendly » Sat May 04, 2019 10:15 pm

mwahahahaew wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:43 am
macro friendly wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 pm
Does anyone else follow Better Being Steph on IG?
yes, i've been watching her stories for a while now and idk how she makes me feel....
She just seems to be in this perpetual cycle of saying she's doing really well and then saying she's not doing well. You can tell she still has major issues with food/body image and the gym (she has still been going to the gym to do LISS even though she's sick). She also seems to share absolutely everything on her IG which could probably be triggering to some people.
Honestly she would do so well to just gtfo social media, take a break from the gym, stop cooking snacks that only contain protein powder/egg whites/almond meal and go live life.

User avatar
treelee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 3680
Joined: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:11 pm
Has thanked: 461 times
Been thanked: 1113 times

Re: ED Recovery Influencers/Vloggers

Post by treelee » Sat May 04, 2019 10:43 pm

macro friendly wrote:
mwahahahaew wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:43 am
macro friendly wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 11:06 pm
Does anyone else follow Better Being Steph on IG?
yes, i've been watching her stories for a while now and idk how she makes me feel....
She just seems to be in this perpetual cycle of saying she's doing really well and then saying she's not doing well. You can tell she still has major issues with food/body image and the gym (she has still been going to the gym to do LISS even though she's sick). She also seems to share absolutely everything on her IG which could probably be triggering to some people.
Honestly she would do so well to just gtfo social media, take a break from the gym, stop cooking snacks that only contain protein powder/egg whites/almond meal and go live life.
Yeah, she’s a giant nope for me. I went to check her out when she was brought up and her stories were her freaking out that she hadn’t been able to train for a couple days because of sickness. And she was doing cardio anyways. Uhhhh disordered much? The weird protein concoctions are a giant red flag as well. Accounts like hers really aren’t helping anyone.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Reply

Return to “Fitness Influencers”