General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 3

wilmadawn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: General Health & Fitness Chat - Part 3

Post by wilmadawn »

I've been running outside but i was quickly reminded that I can't get away with the same mileage as I do on the treadmill. i did a pretty slow 7 miles the other day and my hip and ankle were pretty sore, i can do 10 miles easily on the treadmill without any aches so that's sort of a bummer but I'm lucky i can do still do my preferred form of cardio, even if I have to watch my mileage. other than that i have 2 10 lb weights that i've been doing some basic stuff with + some interval and hiit type stuff. i guess im managing but i really miss the gym, motivation is def not the same at home.

i was so upset on the last day the gym was open i even shed a tear, how pathetic LOL.

dietgossip
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by dietgossip »

wilmadawn wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:37 pm
I've been running outside but i was quickly reminded that I can't get away with the same mileage as I do on the treadmill. i did a pretty slow 7 miles the other day and my hip and ankle were pretty sore, i can do that easily do 10 miles on the treadmill without any aches so that's sort of a bummer but I'm lucky i can do still do my preferred form of cardio, even if I have to watch my mileage. other than that i have 2 10 lb weights that i've been doing some basic stuff with + some interval and hiit type stuff. i guess im managing but i really miss the gym, motivation is def not the same at home.

i was so upset on the last day the gym was open i even shed a tear, how pathetic LOL.
Doesn't surprise me that it's hurting you, it's a completely different surface!

I miss the gym too, I wish I'd gone an extra time that last week.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

I've been improvising building "machines" with stuff around the house and it helped with motivation. I built a lat pull-down where I lift kitty litter, water jugs hung on a broom stick as barbell, band hung on a door for assisted door pull-ups, band around chair legs for leg extension etc.
I also tried a lot of Athlean-X exercises and he makes things hard; I've been sore since the lockdown started.
I was planning on running, but the rules here are ambiguous and I can't afford a fine.
So my goal is to work on my push-ups and my shoulders. Bodyweight and some 5kg dumbbells are enough for me right now.
I also tried stair climbing with a backpack full of kitty litter, since I live on the 5th floor, but that didn't do much for me.

Irina
Debater
Debater

Post by Irina »

oh i have not really opened this thread for the longest time (since I was happy with my gym and eating habits) but it helps so much to see not being alone in this during this time...
I am also struggling with home workouts and staying motivated... I do think it is definitely a good idea to invest in some home equipment. I have some dumbbells and if you look at youtube for "dumbbell only workout" you find some good stuff. With single leg adjustments it also gets harder. But still I miss going to the gym so much, it's the place where I leave all thoughts/worries etc. behind...
I think some people think that gym is not a necessary thing (and yes for sure it is not as necessary as groceries etc! I can understand that they are closed). But for me, my mental and physical health really suffers. I think a lot of you can relate...

Also with eating. My resolution is now, to really just eat 3 times a day - bigger meals and to not snack at all. If I start snacking I just don't stop. At the beginning of quarantine I was like "ok I will just make my main meals a bit smaller, so I can fit in more snacks" but no. That constant eating is doing no good to me. But I love snacking lol so it is hard.

The good thing is that I really started to enjoy yoga-stuff. I never could get into it before but I came to realise how nice some stretching is.
Please excuse my english, it's not my first language <3

Tropical_Paradise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Tropical_Paradise »

I find this super tough too! I usually run at the gym, but the weather in my city is -10 this week and if I try my ears get super cold which results in a headache. I’ve been trying at home workouts. I liked Sarah’s Day Pilates workout that she posted last week, but most workouts bore me. I have equipment and I should just make my own routines but it’s tough. Tess Begg and Madfit also have good workouts.
I’ve been doing a lot of yoga now, which is nice to get back into that routine.

NaiveSuper
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by NaiveSuper »

Czarbucks wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:43 pm
Does anyone know someone that uses TRX/suspension training workouts? I bought the Lifeline XT Suspension training kit and it's coming in on Friday and am looking at Pinterest and found some, but more is always good.
Mind Pump usually has good content:

wilmadawn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wilmadawn »

Tropical_Paradise wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:54 am
I find this super tough too! I usually run at the gym, but the weather in my city is -10 this week and if I try my ears get super cold which results in a headache. I’ve been trying at home workouts. I liked Sarah’s Day Pilates workout that she posted last week, but most workouts bore me. I have equipment and I should just make my own routines but it’s tough. Tess Begg and Madfit also have good workouts.
the weather has got to me this week too. its so windy and last night it snowed a few inches and I just can't get into it when the weather isn't decent. I have really sensitive ears so when I go out to run i always wear a hat or my headphones that cover my ears, maybe that would help?

curleecrimp
Debater
Debater

Post by curleecrimp »

This is a good discussion! I had been doing Strong Curves and loved it, but I’ve noticed recently I lack basic body strength (can’t do a pistol squat, can’t do dips, etc). I decided to give the recommended routine from the bodyweight fitness subreddit a go and I’ve been enjoying it! I have one resistance band and a spiral staircase I can do pull-ups and leg raises on. I’ve also been running a lot. It’s a totally different routine than what I’m used to, but I’m still losing fat and feel fit.

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

curleecrimp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 am
This is a good discussion! I had been doing Strong Curves and loved it, but I’ve noticed recently I lack basic body strength (can’t do a pistol squat, can’t do dips, etc). I decided to give the recommended routine from the bodyweight fitness subreddit a go and I’ve been enjoying it! I have one resistance band and a spiral staircase I can do pull-ups and leg raises on. I’ve also been running a lot. It’s a totally different routine than what I’m used to, but I’m still losing fat and feel fit.
Can you post a link or tell me how to find it?

TheQueenBee
Informer
Informer

Post by TheQueenBee »

Hey all, looking for recommendations for a flexibility/mobility routine or program that is geared towards the very inflexible. I really want to work on my hip/glute/hamstring tightness as well as improve my shoulder mobility. I know a fair amount of stretches and I do go to yoga classes sometimes, but my problem is always piecing it all together (i.e. where to start, how often, how long to hold each stretch, how many times, etc.). I've found some things here and there, but again, I'd really like some sort of structured approach that has proven effective for others. Thanks in advance!

good girl
Informer
Informer

Post by good girl »

I also recommend @ladyfit on insta, her workouts have been mostly home/bodyweight based even before the pandemic.

curleecrimp
Debater
Debater

Post by curleecrimp »

ghoulish_babe wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:20 am
curleecrimp wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:10 am
Can you post a link or tell me how to find it?
Sure thing!

This is for the bodyweightfitness subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/

This is for the specific routine I’ve been doing: https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitn ... ame=iossmf

Tropical_Paradise
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Tropical_Paradise »

wilmadawn wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:53 am
Tropical_Paradise wrote:
the weather has got to me this week too. its so windy and last night it snowed a few inches and I just can't get into it when the weather isn't decent. I have really sensitive ears so when I go out to run i always wear a hat or my headphones that cover my ears, maybe that would help?
I do that too, but it doesn’t help me too much unfortunately... I just try and do smaller runs.

DoctorGirlfriend
Talker
Talker

Post by DoctorGirlfriend »

Von_Haute wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:52 am
Does anyone have any pointers/tips on how to do Cable Pull Throughs properly?
I’m doing this new training program, very different stuff than I was used to (powerlifting style) and even though I’m liking it so far, I still struggle with some exercises like hip thrusts and cable pull throughs. One of the days is glutes focused and I feel so stupid. I don't think I can engage the glutes, if that makes sense...
Hi there. Figured I'd give some insight since no one has yet. For cable pull-throughs, make sure the anchor is about a foot off of the ground. I've found that when it's lower than that, I'm using more hamstring and it's harder for me to get into position. Also, cable pull-throughs should be a burnout type movement, so, you don't have to load it up super heavy and then walk it out. Load it where you are really comfortable in the hip hinge movement, and then increase the weight by 5lbs or so until you find your sweet spot. Pick a weight that allows you to do 20-25 reps with good form. The final 5 reps should really burn. Also, slow down this movement. Really think about the mind to muscle connection.

Good luck!

wilmadawn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wilmadawn »

Tropical_Paradise wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:58 am
wilmadawn wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:53 am
Tropical_Paradise wrote:
I do that too, but it doesn’t help me too much unfortunately... I just try and do smaller runs.
awh, bummer. sometimes you just have to go with the "something is better than nothing" saying.

myksweetheart
Debater
Debater

Post by myksweetheart »

DoctorGirlfriend wrote:
Von_Haute wrote:
I’m doing this new training program, very different stuff than I was used to (powerlifting style) and even though I’m liking it so far, I still struggle with some exercises like hip thrusts and cable pull throughs. One of the days is glutes focused and I feel so stupid. I don't think I can engage the glutes, if that makes sense...
Hi there. Figured I'd give some insight since no one has yet. For cable pull-throughs, make sure the anchor is about a foot off of the ground. I've found that when it's lower than that, I'm using more hamstring and it's harder for me to get into position. Also, cable pull-throughs should be a burnout type movement, so, you don't have to load it up super heavy and then walk it out. Load it where you are really comfortable in the hip hinge movement, and then increase the weight by 5lbs or so until you find your sweet spot. Pick a weight that allows you to do 20-25 reps with good form. The final 5 reps should really burn. Also, slow down this movement. Really think about the mind to muscle connection.

Good luck!
Very good advice! I found it especially helpful when I started setting the cable up higher than I thought I would need it. I hated them before and once I got the height of the cable machine right I realized how beneficial they could be. With hip thrusts try many different foot placements and directions. I feel them the most in my glutes when my feet are a little wider than hip width and my feet are slightly pointed outward. One day I was playing with foot placement and when I slightly pointed my feet out I felt my glutes burn so much more! Keep in mind that everyone’s body is different so the height and angle that works well for some people won’t necessarily work well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ghoulish_babe
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ghoulish_babe »

myksweetheart wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:57 am
DoctorGirlfriend wrote:
Von_Haute wrote:

Good luck!
Very good advice! I found it especially helpful when I started setting the cable up higher than I thought I would need it. I hated them before and once I got the height of the cable machine right I realized how beneficial they could be. With hip thrusts try many different foot placements and directions. I feel them the most in my glutes when my feet are a little wider than hip width and my feet are slightly pointed outward. One day I was playing with foot placement and when I slightly pointed my feet out I felt my glutes burn so much more! Keep in mind that everyone’s body is different so the height and angle that works well for some people won’t necessarily work well for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think with different levels of the cable you hit different parts of the muscle. With lower cable you hit the lower side of the maximus and with a higher cable, you hit the upper part. Much like incline/decline on bench press.

Return to “Fitness”