It's Way Past My Ability to Handle Criticism (Part 6)

Lavender Earl Grey
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's Way Past My Ability to Handle Criticism (Part 5)

Post by Lavender Earl Grey »

That was a gigantic step in the right direction. Saying "I know" instead of defending something you know deep down is true will do wonders for your own development.

The tweet above perfectly illustrates the problem with "black-or-white" thinking.
In a recent video, Pewdiepie explained that it's been helpful to stop dismissing all negative comments. Instead, filter them and sort them into categories- think critically. Some posts are hateful, or exaggerate what you're doing to support their point. Some people are trolling, some are having a bad day, some are complaining about petty things. However, some are fans expressing valid opinions, giving helpful hints on how you can keep improving, or there are people who would like to see things change, which are worth consideration for the sake of your own growth.

Keep it up Carrie, you did something great for yourself though it might feel negative.

You guys want to recognize her hard decision to make that post by naming the next thread something nice? Sunshine in heels? ;)

Post by Guest »

Lavender Earl Grey wrote:That was a gigantic step in the right direction. Saying "I know" instead of defending something you know deep down is true will do wonders for your own development.

The tweet above perfectly illustrates the problem with "black-or-white" thinking.
In a recent video, Pewdiepie explained that it's been helpful to stop dismissing all negative comments. Instead, filter them and sort them into categories- think critically. Some posts are hateful, or exaggerate what you're doing to support their point. Some people are trolling, some are having a bad day, some are complaining about petty things. However, some are fans expressing valid opinions, giving helpful hints on how you can keep improving, or there are people who would like to see things change, which are worth consideration for the sake of your own growth.

Keep it up Carrie, you did something great for yourself though it might feel negative.

You guys want to recognize her hard decision to make that post by naming the next thread something nice? Sunshine in heels? ;)
I agree with a lot of your points but I don't think naming the next thread something nice makes sense at all lol. Also, we still need to see if she implements changes in her life. Is she going to stop saying things that imply that she thinks she is the hardest worker in the world? Is she going to stop ranting about stage door? Is she going to stop filming people against their consent when they are clearly uncomfortable?

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly »

Not to spoil anything but I'd have respected her a lot more if she hadn't then gone back in and backtracked on the "I know my books aren't perfect" line and changed it to "I know my books aren't well loved by everyone". That to me is the equivalent of going from "I'm sorry" to "I'm sorry you feel that way".

"They are as perfect as they need to be for publication". Honey, Zoella got published (or at least her ghost writer did).

droptopcropflop
Lurker
Lurker

Post by droptopcropflop »

My thoughts on her response to this forum:

1. I really honestly appreciate that she did some self-reflection instead of just saying we're a bunch of haters. I'm not certain that any of the users in this forum weren't at one point if not now considered her fan, the criticisms we have are mainly to do with her lack of self-awareness. I find it horrifying that she felt the need to comment on her body. I hate when I see it brought up and I really hope she does not take that too much to heart.

2. I do not have confidence this will inspire her to actually change anything in her life. While I appreciate that she finally acknowledged multiple things about her that have been irritating the community, she kept phrasing it as "I know and I'm trying" which either means she has been aware and her current attitude is her attempt at trying, or she is just now realizing she acts this way and is truly that ignorant to the world around her. Plus, all of her minions have already descended upon the tweet and blog post to say that we are terrible people and she shouldn't listen to us.

3. Besides the unwelcome comments on her weight, you will struggle to find any assertions here that do not have backing, and they are extremely problematic assertions. If those were things being said about me I'd be horrified and trying to reach out to people to see how I can fix it. Carrie seems complacent that she knows she can be problematic but guys she's tryinggg.

Idk, I'm really happy to see her address it, but I don't think it will actually change anything. I really feel like Carrie needs a year to just be herself and hone her craft, I feel like she could grow so much that way.

Bormenthal
Talker
Talker

Post by Bormenthal »

holly golightly wrote:Not to spoil anything but I'd have respected her a lot more if she hadn't then gone back in and backtracked on the "I know my books aren't perfect" line and changed it to "I know my books aren't well loved by everyone". That to me is the equivalent of going from "I'm sorry" to "I'm sorry you feel that way".

"They are as perfect as they need to be for publication". Honey, Zoella got published (or at least her ghost writer did).
Lol. I'm pretty sure that most writers will agree with me that there's no such thing as "perfect for publication". There is "good enough". There's a joke that if writers didn't have deadlines, publishers would've had to pry the manuscripts out of their dead hands.

And I also agree that we should wait and see if Carrie actually changes her actions and won't just use this "I know and I'm trying" as an excuse to continue to act the way she's acting and have another reason to get mad at people.

LylaJovana
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LylaJovana »

Lavender Earl Grey wrote:That was a gigantic step in the right direction. Saying "I know" instead of defending something you know deep down is true will do wonders for your own development.

"Carrie Fletcher: Angry Sunshine In Heels" is still my contribution. :tu:
Some people without brains do an awful lot of talking, don't they?

videostar
Debater
Debater

Post by videostar »

It seems to be common for her to defend herself in these ways occasionally, and while she always protests how much she realises these things about herself, it's never had an affect on her behaviour in a positive way afterwards. We'll be complaining about very same things in a few weeks time but I'd like to be proven wrong. I used to enjoy her content so much and would love to be able to again.

penguins
Talker
Talker

It's Way Past My Ability to Handle Criticism (Part 5)

Post by penguins »

I have to say I’m surprised she approached the subject in such a mature composed manor and to give credit where credits due it must have been tough for her to admit those things especially publicly.

It reminded me of the old Carrie who was calm, self reflective. Rather than jaded, angry, arrogant Carrie we’ve become familiar with overtime.

I hope it wasn’t a plea for praise and we see a change.

Carrie you are talented, and although self reflection is critical you also need to take advice from others to fully grow and develop. Don’t want to take advice from strangers on the internet? Fine, don’t blame you. Try a few lessons to hone your craft, you have nothing to lose and so much to gain. It’s not a sign of weakness at all.

Post by Guest »

Everyone feels bad for her commenting on her weight. I don't really think people on this thread/in general (besides a handful of trolls whose comments aren't worth acknowledging) actually sit there and deride her weight. I feel like she only commented on it so she could announce to the world that her weight gain was due to birth control and not things like lack of exercise and cooking healthy meals, because people on this thread have called her lazy for sleeping in and not working out like her castmates.

misscupcake8
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by misscupcake8 »

Sorry not buying it. That is just another way of getting people to feel sorry for her, blow smoke up her arse and continue telling her how amazing she is. A very clever move to get the limelight back on her.....once again.
I dont believe for a minute that she actually feels that way / believes those things about herself. She is was too narcissistic, egotiscal and self absorbed to feel any of what she wrote.
Actions speak louder than words and her behaviour is the complete opposite.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

fighead
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by fighead »

tztlcrdg wrote:She spent so long denying this :|
Urgh this whole section rubs me the wrong way. She knows all this but she does nothing about any of it. Also the "I know I'm terrible at relationships", it's self-victimising language that makes me think she's not totally genuine. I don't think she means badly but I think she just doesn't think?

PlumeriaBahar
Talker
Talker

Post by PlumeriaBahar »

She's done the exact same thing as Marzia, Pewdiepie's fiance.
And her dear sycophants are just as well-behaved as Marzia's: sent into a blind rage, they're immediately jump to her defence.
That being said, I respect this blogpost, too. It's the first genuine and sincere thing from her I have seen from ages.
However, I also do agree with those who say that it won't change much. And somehow I can't push myself into believing that it is absolutely sincere... Because in her shoes I'd rather start doing things that prove people that don't care about YouTubers (in fact, I don't, I care about theatre and publishing market instead, yeah I know, that's mean) wrong and not just write an I-know-litany. We know that you know, you just didn't want to admit it.
Also the fact she wrote so much about her weight which was hardly discussed at all (and I too cringe whenever someone raises this subject) and didn't address much more serious issues whatsoever kinda gets me? If I wasn't an active member of this thread I'd assume we're talking mostly about her looks and her weight - but we don't.

Also, I'm all for angry sunshine in heels, because we're WAY PAST OUR 40 PAGES <3

Hydrangea
Informer
Informer

Post by Hydrangea »

LylaJovana wrote:

"Carrie Fletcher: Angry Sunshine In Heels" is still my contribution. :tu:
with a couple of passive aggressive kisses at the end

Blossom17
Learner
Learner

Post by Blossom17 »

Carrie, your blog today showed a side of you that is much more relatable and soft than your default defensive responses. Credit where credit is due. This shows a growing maturity. Long may it continue.

LylaJovana
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LylaJovana »

viewtopic.php?f=428&t=34044

I went ahead and made a new thread, hope no one minds. (think I did it right)
<3

MrsBradfield
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by MrsBradfield »

Mega late to this party but I’ve loved/hated carrie for years. Right from her lovely videos when she lived at her parents, right through to now.

She has changed and not for the better.

Also, there was blatantly a cross over between her/Pete/Oli. As soon as I saw her behavious towards Oli, I knew Pete was gone. It’s sad like I almost feel like she has pressurised Oli into a relationship with her

Mleeps
Talker
Talker

Post by Mleeps »

MsMaybe wrote:Fair play to her for acknowledging how problematic she can be. Part of me 5inks it’s so the minions will tell her she’s amazing but if she’s actually acknowledging she can be a brat then fair enough.

I’d still be sceptical that she says her family struggled financially when her brother went to Slyvia Young and they always went to Disneyland but it’s nice she acknowledged people have given her an upper hand.

I wonder if she’ll ever acknowledge her books are self insert fanfic though :rofl:

I’ve not seen any posts on here calling her fat. Frumpy yes but that’s more her dress sense. I don’t think posting her means people aren’t kind. A lot of people are former viewers for example.

I don’t think us calling her out are seeing the real her or looking for the worst. I think it’s a mix of the two. Her fans won’t call her out on when she acts questionably because like all teenage fans they won’t like hearing a bad word said against someone they admire.

Tbh I disagree with the fat thing. I've seen people say things like 'have you noticed she's getting bigger and bigger' and 'fat tree trunk legs' and how unflattering her clothes are because she is fat and how ugly and fat she looked in Tom's show - I agree that lots of people called her out on her books and behaviour but so many people also commented on her weight. It's disgusting because that doesn't change who she is, but it was done. :|

LylaJovana
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LylaJovana »

Reminder that there's a new thread here
viewtopic.php?f=428&t=34044 :tu:

Return to “Carrie Hope Fletcher”