Carrie "Overshare Bear" Fletcher - Part 10

bansheemagnolia
Informer
Informer

Re: Carrie

Post by bansheemagnolia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:00 am

happyapple wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:16 am
Shall we place our bets now that there will be five or six sporadic episodes of this podcast before they put it in the "too hard" basket cus they're "busy" and then we'll never hear about it again?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
To be fair, they won't be the first to do so. I had an app on my phone which was for podcasts and the number of podcasts that have just been abandoned by their creators is staggering. The creators of mile higher podcast are both lazy AF and they are still going with theirs, even if they do take a lot of breaks and that shocks me the most.

swatgirl777
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0

Re: Carrie "Overshare Bear" Fletcher

Post by swatgirl777 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 am

I’m a HUGE podcast listener and I don’t care about everyone and their mother making podcast but...I just don’t understand the point of Carrie making one? She already does YouTube, writes books, is in shows...what is the point of doing one more thing? I don’t know, I’m not at all interested in their topic. They could have at least tried for something unique. I don’t know, I don’t see this lasting long at all. I haven’t listened yet but if it’s as bad as others are making it sound I’ll probably just skip it (I can’t stand taking over one another/talking about things that doesnt translate into audio format)

bansheemagnolia
Informer
Informer

Post by bansheemagnolia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am

swatgirl777 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:33 am
I’m a HUGE podcast listener and I don’t care about everyone and their mother making podcast but...I just don’t understand the point of Carrie making one? She already does YouTube, writes books, is in shows...what is the point of doing one more thing? I don’t know, I’m not at all interested in their topic. They could have at least tried for something unique. I don’t know, I don’t see this lasting long at all. I haven’t listened yet but if it’s as bad as others are making it sound I’ll probably just skip it (I can’t stand taking over one another/talking about things that doesnt translate into audio format)
It's like she's attempting so many things in order to stay relevant.

lazysunday
Lurker
Lurker

Post by lazysunday » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am

bansheemagnolia wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am
swatgirl777 wrote:
that or she's suddenly realised what a commitment her new mortgage is without her flat rented first... :?

bansheemagnolia
Informer
Informer

Post by bansheemagnolia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:45 am

lazysunday wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:43 am
bansheemagnolia wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:40 am
swatgirl777 wrote:
that or she's suddenly realised what a commitment her new mortgage is without her flat rented first... :?
Probably, because I can see it being a good few months before that flat is ready to be rented out. Every wall in it will need to be repainted.

Lorelai013
Learner
Learner

Post by Lorelai013 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:37 pm

I'm not surprised the podcast got to a #1 ranking in the UK, but I did not expect it to do so well in the Netherlands as well (#2). I have no idea what actual number that translates to, but the podcast is ranked above the one related to one of our most popular tv programmes! Then again, we're a small country so maybe the actual amount of people that is listening isn't that big.

I think Celinde prepared all the stuff for this episode, which is why she is saying the only interesting things. Would've been way more interesting if they both properly researched a female historical figure and then discussed/compared the two. Also, one of Celinde remarks irked me a bit; She presented a fact about Ching Shih that she couldn't really back up, but just hoped to be true... It's a tiny thing, but please never write an academic paper with that attitude Celinde :lol:

I think their discussion of the more personal topics could either be way more interesting (as they have more "expertise" on the matter) or super cringy. For people worried about the two talking over each other: I didn't really notice that. It's very chatty and informal, but I didn't feel they were constantly interrupting each other. It's just the content you have to put up with :D

ruthg19
Talker
Talker

Post by ruthg19 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm

Confirmation that Oli/Pumpkin is an actual man child: I’m watching Carrie and Scott’s livestream and they said that Oli was “downstairs playing Fortnite”. Isn’t he 29 years old?? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I swear most of the people who play that game are 12 year old boys. Yikes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

inkspells
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by inkspells » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:56 pm

ruthg19 wrote:Confirmation that Oli/Pumpkin is an actual man child: I’m watching Carrie and Scott’s livestream and they said that Oli was “downstairs playing Fortnite”. Isn’t he 29 years old?? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I swear most of the people who play that game are 12 year old boys. Yikes.

My husband played it for a few months before the hype was insane and then got bored. Its very popular with kids right now but its not originally a game for kids specifically. Though my husband wouldn't play it now cause you mostly just destroy children. Hes playing Apex now with his friends

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Illogic_ally
Informer
Informer

Post by Illogic_ally » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:45 pm

laylee wrote:Lmao I listened to the podcast in the background while doing laundry. Celinde led the talk and was super interesting to listen to! It seems like she prepared all of the talk. Carrie just interjected randomly with "wow I could never do that I just like to sit at home and watch netflix."

We get it, Bear, you're a wet towel

Does Carrie even listen to podcasts? Celinde regularly posts ones she recommends/is listening to on her insta stories, but I don’t recall Carrie ever mentioning a podcast before. Maybe that’s why she has little concept on how to conduct one, and treats it just like a video

laylee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by laylee » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:59 pm

Illogic_ally wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:45 pm
laylee wrote:Lmao I listened to the podcast in the background while doing laundry. Celinde led the talk and was super interesting to listen to! It seems like she prepared all of the talk. Carrie just interjected randomly with "wow I could never do that I just like to sit at home and watch netflix."

Does Carrie even listen to podcasts? Celinde regularly posts ones she recommends/is listening to on her insta stories, but I don’t recall Carrie ever mentioning a podcast before. Maybe that’s why she has little concept on how to conduct one, and treats it just like a video

That's the annoying thing about the Bear - she thinks she can halfass everything and not put in any effort into doing background research because her Youtube audience will eat it up. Does she expect to have this same audience forever? They will grow out of her, and she isn't gaining any new audience

And all of that aside, you'd think she'd care about personal satisfaction of actually succeeding at one of her side projects by putting in effort

Aurelyia
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Aurelyia » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 pm

I can see this podcast being one of her things she does that she starts and then just lets fade away into the background, she just strikes me as that kind of person. Like how, ages ago, she started doing videos showcasing her bookshelf and her mugs, yet those stopped after two or three videos. Doing a podcast is a lot of work and she's already working so hard, as she loves to remind us, and paired with the initial excitement of doing something new, I don't see this sticking.

Scraps-Of-Adventure
Informer
Informer

Post by Scraps-Of-Adventure » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:24 pm

ruthg19 wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:51 pm
Confirmation that Oli/Pumpkin is an actual man child: I’m watching Carrie and Scott’s livestream and they said that Oli was “downstairs playing Fortnite”. Isn’t he 29 years old?? Correct me if I’m wrong, but I swear most of the people who play that game are 12 year old boys. Yikes.

There are a lot of things off with Oliver but this isn't one of them. People can play the video games they want at all ages and it doesn't mean anything. Lets not behave like 50yrs old aunts and juge people on the video games they play.

Ghostie_
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Ghostie_ » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:44 pm

I think she’s doing the podcast so she has another thing to drone on about when she’s patting herself on the back.
(I was msmaybe, my account logged me out and I couldn’t remember what email I used).

Illogic_ally
Informer
Informer

Post by Illogic_ally » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm

laylee wrote:
Illogic_ally wrote:

That's the annoying thing about the Bear - she thinks she can halfass everything and not put in any effort into doing background research because her Youtube audience will eat it up. Does she expect to have this same audience forever? They will grow out of her, and she isn't gaining any new audience

And all of that aside, you'd think she'd care about personal satisfaction of actually succeeding at one of her side projects by putting in effort

What I can’t figure out, is why they just picked some random “empowering” theme to make a podcast about, to then just half ass it? You have two arguably highly successful musical theatre actresses, who have played hugely coveted roles in prestigious theaters on the West End. Why the heck would you not talk about that?

jessisnotcool
Talker
Talker

Post by jessisnotcool » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:20 pm

I have listened to a lot of podcasts, but these days I only really listen to fictional podcasts for this exact reason.
Podcasts, like the one Carrie is making, are just for people who like to listen to themselves talk...mostly about things that aren't correct or relevant or whatever, or to push their own vapid ideas and opinions. Carrie is literally the least feminist, why is she doing a podcast about empowering women? I get the impression she HATES women?!
I know she loves the sound of her own voice, but could she get more self obsessed? It's really annoying that she can't just focus on getting one project right, instead of doing fifty below average ones at once.

bigstripeylie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bigstripeylie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:50 am

Illogic_ally wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:45 pm
laylee wrote:
Illogic_ally wrote:

What I can’t figure out, is why they just picked some random “empowering” theme to make a podcast about, to then just half ass it? You have two arguably highly successful musical theatre actresses, who have played hugely coveted roles in prestigious theaters on the West End. Why the heck would you not talk about that?

Thing is, I don't think Carrie sees it as 'Oh I don't need to try so hard because my fans will buy this anyway', I think she genuinely believes that what she is doing *is* hard work and enough effort, because she's never had to work seriously hard in her life. She's gone her whole life churning out half-baked ideas and unedited drivel and been heaped with praise and success for it, which just reinforces to her that what she's doing must be good enough already so why should she try any harder when she can just keep on acting the same and people will reward her anyway?

Really it's as much the people around her's fault as hers. For example, her books are terrible because her editors clearly don't hold her to the same standard as other writers, and if you've got a professional publishing company kissing your ass and telling you your writing is amazing (when it isn't and they're just using you for money), you'd probably start to believe them eventually. Same with the podcast, clearly a lot of people downloaded it because it's #1, and Carrie's been reposting positive comment on her insta, so she can use that to justify to herself that she must be working hard because so many people have downloaded her podcast.

We complain that Carrie has a hard time taking criticism, but I think this is because she's actually not criticised enough (constructively), so she's never had to develop that skill of taking onboard feedback and applying it, because the people that she's answerable to have enabled her to be like this.

If Carrie is guilty of anything, is that she believes her own hype.

pale-blue-monster
Talker
Talker

Post by pale-blue-monster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 am

bigstripeylie wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:50 am
Illogic_ally wrote:
laylee wrote:
Illogic_ally wrote:

Thing is, I don't think Carrie sees it as 'Oh I don't need to try so hard because my fans will buy this anyway', I think she genuinely believes that what she is doing *is* hard work and enough effort, because she's never had to work seriously hard in her life. She's gone her whole life churning out half-baked ideas and unedited drivel and been heaped with praise and success for it, which just reinforces to her that what she's doing must be good enough already so why should she try any harder when she can just keep on acting the same and people will reward her anyway?

Really it's as much the people around her's fault as hers. For example, her books are terrible because her editors clearly don't hold her to the same standard as other writers, and if you've got a professional publishing company kissing your ass and telling you your writing is amazing (when it isn't and they're just using you for money), you'd probably start to believe them eventually. Same with the podcast, clearly a lot of people downloaded it because it's #1, and Carrie's been reposting positive comment on her insta, so she can use that to justify to herself that she must be working hard because so many people have downloaded her podcast.

We complain that Carrie has a hard time taking criticism, but I think this is because she's actually not criticised enough (constructively), so she's never had to develop that skill of taking onboard feedback and applying it, because the people that she's answerable to have enabled her to be like this.

You've hit the nail on the head with that comment.
And in all honesty, Youtube is an platform that you either get really hard-working people or people like Carrie, who just believe they work hard.

It really annoys me how the book publishers don't hold her to the same standard, you'd think they would at least get a editor in to make sure her book is written correctly. I feel her first book should have been her last, but then again, Youtuber books are an easy money grabber.

Illogic_ally
Informer
Informer

Carrie "Overshare Bear" Fletcher

Post by Illogic_ally » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 am

pale-blue-monster wrote:
bigstripeylie wrote:
Illogic_ally wrote:
laylee wrote:
Illogic_ally wrote:

And in all honesty, Youtube is an platform that you either get really hard-working people or people like Carrie, who just believe they work hard.

It really annoys me how the book publishers don't hold her to the same standard, you'd think they would at least get a editor in to make sure her book is written correctly. I feel her first book should have been her last, but then again, Youtuber books are an easy money grabber.
That’s exactly right. Instead of writing a book, pitching it, getting rejected over and over, and having to work on her writing/stories, the first ever book got published. And then the first novel she wrote got published, and was a best seller. Same with the next. When you’re already essentially on top, why would you think there’s any need to improve?

bigstripeylie
Lurker
Lurker

Post by bigstripeylie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:50 am

Illogic_ally wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 am
pale-blue-monster wrote:
bigstripeylie wrote:
Illogic_ally wrote:
laylee wrote:

That’s exactly right. Instead of writing a book, pitching it, getting rejected over and over, and having to work on her writing/stories, the first ever book got published. And then the first novel she wrote got published, and was a best seller. Same with the next. When you’re already essentially on top, why would you think there’s any need to improve?

Exactly! And when you look at it like that, you can easily see how it would be possible to be in that situation where everyone is praising you and if you see a comment that's a bit critical (especially if it comes from a stranger online), you'd probably think to yourself "Oh, what do they know? They're just a mean bitter troll. Everyone who matters, like my publishers, directors, agents, family, think I'm great so that must be the truth and I can dismiss this person!" Because you're so protected in your little bubble.

holly golightly
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by holly golightly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:08 am

I think it's reflected in the fact that when people ask her about publishing she's just like "I dunno". She's not had the actual experience or has the passion for it to say anything enlightening or informative.

pale-blue-monster
Talker
Talker

Post by pale-blue-monster » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:58 am

Exactly, J.K Rowling got turned down by 12 publishers before someone published her book. Twelve times she faced criticism and had to maybe change her work. But most youtubers never had that, simple because it's easy money, Zoella, Carrie, Dan and Phil, Emma all had a fanbase ready and waiting to buy their book literally.

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:21 am

She just shared on her IG stories that she in fact hid her sub number because it had remained more or less the same for years and she was getting obsessed with numbers. Kudos to her for publicly admitting it.

PocketPLocket
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by PocketPLocket » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am

I couldn't listen to that podcast because Carrie thinks she's so funny but she is so, so not. I cringe so hard when I hear people obviously attempting to be funny and sarky and it fails but they think they're being clever. Like...Nooo! The little Seinfeld style stings after a Carrie "zinger" is so painful for me to listen to.

Rita222
Wallflower
Wallflower
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rita222 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:02 pm

hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster, so sorry if I do anything wrong.
I need to change a subject for a while because I found a comment today while looking at Carrie's old posts on Instagram and I don't know if it's true. It was under her birthday wishes to Oliver while they weren't together (at least officially, because with that mess of a timeline I'm not sure about anything anymore). Maybe we aren't so wrong after all if even she thought that ;)
Screenshot_20190211-154105_Instagram.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lynndi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Lynndi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Thought I'd give it a go and ... ouch she's obnoxious.

I agree with the people on here that have said that the sound quality is terrible ; it really, really is. Sounds like they're in a bathroom with a microphone for the two of them, ugh.

And ffs Carrie talking about how ASMR makes her "anus clench" ... *shudders*

That's more than enough for me thanks for the horrible mental image Carrie.

Return to “ItsWayPastMyBedTime (Carrie Fletcher)”