Pewpew
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New York help!!

Post by Pewpew »

Hey guys!!

I just need some suggestions and some tips on getting around in New York. I'm on my way to finalizing my trip there for the New Years with some friends. I hardly ever travel so this is super exciting for me, but scary at the same time because I'm not too good at getting around to places.

Anyhow, I'm gonna be staying at a place in the brooklyn heights area, but the regular tourist attractions I'll be going to is at Manhattan. I'm just wondering if it will be a problem getting to Manhattan everyday from that area? - I haven't done too much research on transportation and all that yet, but I will be, but it'll be great to get some tips on transit at New York.

Also, do you guys have any suggestions on some good eats and other places aside from the typical tourist places?

blahblah20
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: New York help!!

Post by blahblah20 »

Traveling shouldn't be a problem. Is where you're staying close to the train? If so, which line? I would recommend downloading the app called HopStop, it's very helpful when it comes to public transportation.

uaskedforit
Talker
Talker

Post by uaskedforit »

Brooklyn Heights is the closest you can get to lower Manhattan. Depending on where you are, you can take the R train, 2/3, or 4/5. Don't worry about transportation at all. We literally have everything, you have to be more specific about what you're into and what you'd want to do and see. Why wouldn't you want to do some typical touristy stuff? You're a tourist, and they're popular for a reason. Since you'll be close to downtown, I'll give you a few places to visit around there. You can take a paid ferry service (don't know how much $) to the actual Statue of Liberty, or you could get on the free Staten Island ferry and pass by it for your photo opps. (make sure you're on the very right of the boat from Man.>SI to see it). I also recommend the South St. seaport if you want to see some cool boats, go shopping, eat, etc. If you give me ideas of what you're into, I can help you more. Clubs? Fine dining? Plays? Inexpensive options? .....

Pewpew
Learner
Learner

Post by Pewpew »

blahblah20 wrote:Traveling shouldn't be a problem. Is where you're staying close to the train? If so, which line? I would recommend downloading the app called HopStop, it's very helpful when it comes to public transportation.
Thank you! I'll definitely check that app out!

uaskedforit wrote:Brooklyn Heights is the closest you can get to lower Manhattan. Depending on where you are, you can take the R train, 2/3, or 4/5. Don't worry about transportation at all. We literally have everything, you have to be more specific about what you're into and what you'd want to do and see. Why wouldn't you want to do some typical touristy stuff? You're a tourist, and they're popular for a reason. Since you'll be close to downtown, I'll give you a few places to visit around there. You can take a paid ferry service (don't know how much $) to the actual Statue of Liberty, or you could get on the free Staten Island ferry and pass by it for your photo opps. (make sure you're on the very right of the boat from Man.>SI to see it). I also recommend the South St. seaport if you want to see some cool boats, go shopping, eat, etc. If you give me ideas of what you're into, I can help you more. Clubs? Fine dining? Plays? Inexpensive options? .....
Oh no! I'm definitely going to the typical tourist things. I'm actually getting the citypass so I'll at the empire state and all those other places. It's just I'm wondering if there are any other underrated places in New York to go explore at.
My friends and I are just looking into some casual dining places or just anything affordable. Poor uni students are poor.

Overall though, we're just interested in exploring and sight-seeing mostly and of course do a little shopping. I probably will only want to spend time at one or two malls so if you recommend me a few for me to choose from that'll be great! And sadly the age to club in US is 21, if you know any places that accepts 19, let me know!! Wish it was 19 like in Canada hahah.

If it helps too, I'll be there from the 28th till the morning of 1st so any events you know going around, I'll like to know too.
Thanks for your suggestions!!

uaskedforit
Talker
Talker

Post by uaskedforit »

there aren't really many "malls" here, just stand-alone stores. the only proper mall I know of is the Manhattan Mall @ 33rd (Herald Sq.). You should probably watch the ball drop in Times Square. It'll be cold and you'll have to wait a while but you'll probably regret not going. I don't know about 18+ clubs but there are definitely some, just google it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blahblah20
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by blahblah20 »

You can go to Webster Hall. I don't know if it's all night but I know they definitely do 18+ nights. It's super packed and crowded though but if you don't mind that, I think you'd have fun.

FolyaNelson
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by FolyaNelson »

Overall though, we're just interested in exploring and sight-seeing mostly and of course do a little shopping. I probably will only want to spend time at one or two malls so if you recommend me a few for me to choose from that'll be great! And sadly the age to club in US is 21, if you know any places that accepts 19, let me know!! Wish it was 19 like in Canada hahah.

Return to “United States”