Is Game of Thrones worth reading?

Suspiria
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Is Game of Thrones worth reading?

Post by Suspiria »

Hello children, Celestial Queen Suspiria here!

I've never read or watched GoT, ever, not even a clip, although I do have an idea of what it's about. I've heard tons of good reviews and pretty much 0 negative feedback towards the books AND the show. I guess I'm just in the mood to find a series to submerge in, I kind of don't watch any tv shows and I don't know what book(s) to read. I could get all the books for 20 dollars and then once I'm finished I could watch the actual HBO show. But should I just skip the books and watch the show? I basically love HBO, so maybe there isn't much of a point in reading the books. Usually I like to read non fiction or books that are non novels? Not that I don't enjoy novels and stories, but sometimes it feels like a waste of time. And also, about the books, are there many female characters? Usually if a book (or show) has like 1 female character I get really bored with the story if it's not already good. I heard the story has a few main female characters, and that Daenerys has a POV in the books though.

So just list your pros and cons of reading the books as opposed to watching the show (without spoilers or any in depth information) or something like that. I think there might've been a GoT thread somewhere but I'm too lazy to find/necro it, pls post here.

Tyvm xox, Suspiria

Kleineganz

Re: Is Game of Thrones worth reading?

Post by Kleineganz »

I'd say the books are definitely worth a read if you enjoy medieval fantasy with a good dose of intrigue thrown into the mix. :)

bip
Learner
Learner

Post by bip »

Yes.

yum-martini
Informer
Informer

Post by yum-martini »

There's lots of female characters. The way the book is formatted is that each chapter is seen from a different characters perspective. Particularly in the third book, this format creates parallels that make me want to die from suspense/anxiety

You could watch the show on it's own. Since the books are so big and there is so much content/so many characters, there are a few elements that are different (particularly in the 2nd and 3rd season). I actually couldn't finish the third season because I had JUST finished the third book and I couldn't separate my expectations from the book from the show.

The same thing happened to me with Harry Potter which is upsetting because I completely understand that a 100% accurate representation of a book in film is impossible when the book is so densily packed with content. Anyway, completely sidetracked, sorry

THE POINT IS YES READ IT

kaysagossiper
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kaysagossiper »

yum-martini wrote:There's lots of female characters. The way the book is formatted is that each chapter is seen from a different characters perspective. Particularly in the third book, this format creates parallels that make me want to die from suspense/anxiety

You could watch the show on it's own. Since the books are so big and there is so much content/so many characters, there are a few elements that are different (particularly in the 2nd and 3rd season). I actually couldn't finish the third season because I had JUST finished the third book and I couldn't separate my expectations from the book from the show.

The same thing happened to me with Harry Potter which is upsetting because I completely understand that a 100% accurate representation of a book in film is impossible when the book is so densily packed with content. Anyway, completely sidetracked, sorry

THE POINT IS YES READ IT
Your picture made me die!! hahaha C'mon people, it's not that fucking hard!

Anyways, I KNOW I'll love the books, because they are all the things that I love, but the first time I tried reading them I had the hardest time getting into it. Probably because of all the characters, and I have a hard time becoming attached to them. I'll try again soon when I'm done with my current book.

Never seen the T.V. show.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Yes, they're amazing, the only bad thing about them, as kaysagossiper said, is that it has lots of characters.

gretchenw
Informer
Informer

Post by gretchenw »

I've read all the books multiple times. I lahve them!

I'm a fan of the show also, but I prefer the books.

whoawhoawhoa

Post by whoawhoawhoa »

i haven't read the books, but i do watch the show!

here are things i've heard from people who have read the books:
- if they also watch the show, they are sometimes jealous of people who haven't read the book because it's more exciting to watch the show
- george r.r. martin takes soooo long to write his books, so if you are impatient, it might be annoying after you've read the latest book and can't get your hands on the final books for x amount of time.
- Martin writes VERY descriptively, sometimes seeming overly flowery, which some people don't like

Also, HBO has decided to go in a different direction with the show. i don't think they directly work with Martin on the scripts anymore, although i read somewhere that he has left them notes on where he plans to take the storyline
i don't read the books, but i'm considering reading the books because i think the show will become easier to follow. there are a lot of characters that i mix up all the time haha

kabukixo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kabukixo »

READ READ READ. They are the greatest fantasy novels that have come out in YEARS.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

the one thing I hate about the show is that they use rape as a plot device waaaay too often, and don't even acknowledge that it IS rape. One scene where the woman says NO but the man ignores her and ACTUALLY SAYS 'I DON'T CARE' and continues to rip her clothes off (I'll not name names so not to spoil it) I suppose part of the complication is that they have had previous sexual relation, and some people think it's ok for the guy to ignore the woman when she says no. But let's face it, this isn't ok. She said no, and he ignored her and had sex with her against her will, and that's called rape.

The production value on the show is amazing, but goddamn, Benioff and Weiss, what a bunch of fuck boys.

I tried reading the book, and I found it a little difficult to read, particularly because George RR Martin's style of writing tells you how it is instead of showing you how the scene plays out. Still working on it. Still, the story line is immensely complex, and I am in awe with that, so yes, read it.

cc81
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by cc81 »

Thanks for the tips! I was thinking of reading the books as well!

zzaihui3306
Stalker
Stalker

Post by zzaihui3306 »

:) :rofl: :rofl: FGFDGFD

Return to “A Song of Ice and Fire”