Markiplier FAQ

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Markiplier FAQ

Post by Kierans »

Does Mark have a girlfriend?

He did, and he tried to keep it secret for the entirety of their relationship (2013-2015). She was first brought to light thanks to one of his former Twitch mods, who posted the story below:

Also here:

Currently, she has a Youtube channel, Saucy Cosplays, that has achieved a rapid sub boost thanks to his admission yesterday of their prior relationship and subsequent promotion of her channel below:

Why do you care if he was dating anyone?

I'll copy others who explained it better than me.
kei wrote:[...] But if it's mainly about his relationship with Jess, everyone (well, everyone who saw the quadzillion photos of him using her pillows/stuffed animals/shirt) already knew they were living together at one point, and saw from her tweets in January exactly when they broke up. It's not really a surprise to anyone here. And then Jess herself came here to supposedly "clear the air" about things, but given the fact she wasn't allowed to outright say if they'd been together once, it didn't help all that much. Still, she did make it pretty clear that she had been his gf once without ever using the word "girlfriend".

The primary issue people had with the whole issue is that he went out of his way to hide the fact he was taken, back during a period in his career where that unusual level of secrecy was unnecessary and almost disturbing. And when evidence presented itself, people were hoping for him to say anything, even a simple "fuck off leave me alone", rather than the carefully crafted wall of silence around him. That's when folks started feeling uneasy. He pretends to be so open about his life, yet acted like a bachelor his entire time on Youtube when he was taken for 2/3 of that time. And when his fans put 2 and 2 together, he stayed totally silent.

Mark has built much of his Markiplier persona on an aura of transparency and availability. When people began to see it wasn't the case, he shut down and withdrew from the questions, allowing the tumblr bullies to take over and protect their "precious cinnamon roll". That is the exact moment this perfect storm started brewing. It was compounded when Mark finally did say something, because he sent over 6000 people to Jess' Youtube channel to subscribe for no legit reason except "hey we used to date, and I still like her". That rubbed people the wrong way, especially since Jess has quite specifically stated she wanted to be known for her own efforts instead of just being Markiplier's ex.

A lot of people were driven here from tumblr when his more oblivious fans and "white knights" bullied them out of the Markiplier tag for asking the forbidden gf question. (Or, like me, when he broke down in the 8 million video and no one one tumblr seemed to get that it wasn't normal, even for him.)

[...] that's the gist of why some people are hurt over it. Unfortunately tumblr is only seeing the topmost surface layer of the issue and are shooting their collective mouth off without getting the actual facts. And in this case, that's almost entirely Mark's fault.
M0nkeeButt2590 wrote:Jess was originally a fangirl and ended up becoming one of Mark's moderators on Twitch. They met in person at SDCC 2013 and talked some time online before that. Eventually they started dating mid 2013 and moved in together around August 2014. They broke up at the beginning of 2015 for whatever reason, in which she became suicidal over it and ended up in the hospital. But they seem to have reconciled and are friends, though considering this sudden promotion, we get the feeling they are back together or thinking of getting back together.

For the sake of privacy (supposedly) the relationship was kept a secret even though she apparently helped him with his sketches and video editing during the time they were together. But from her behavior on social media, it's obvious she wanted the relationship to be known and he didn't.

Then there was a post on Tumblr by a head moderator calling the two out and claimed Jess hated the mods and hated the fandom as a whole, in particular because around the time they were together in Dodger's Disneyland vlog Mark suddenly and without warning cut off all ties to his Twitch mods other than Wade, Bob, and Molly. Whether that's true or not has yet to be determined, but he did cut off ties with his mods for no explained reason. [...]
Here's the Disneyland vlog of Dodger's. She's the girl next to Mark at the beginning:
[youtube][/youtube]

NOTE: this is not a discussion thread. Feel free to add any other frequent questions and answers before this thread gets locked.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Markiplier FAQ

Post by Kierans »

Cheez-its girl

A girl wanted to give Mark Cheez-its at a con last year (I think?), which he turned down. This prompted her to post on Tumblr about it. Her original post, blog, and his response have been deleted, but someone else reblogged them below.

Snapchat debacle

From earlier this year. It was hard to find information on this one since so much has been deleted, but if you feel like reading, the Markiplier subreddit covered it pretty well, I think.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

Transmisogyny accusations
This person put together a very long post about what went on. I snipped everything out except for the timeline.

His apology is here:

The Forest
While playing The Forest with Jacksepticeye, he and Mark started discussing gender equality, which some people thought implied that they were being sexist. Starts around 2:40.
[youtube][/youtube]

His apology is here:

Okay, I think those are all of the things that usually get brought up about him, right?

NOTE: I’ll add that this is all gathered from our somewhat limited perspective as fans. Some of what is said here MAY BE INCORRECT. Some of this may also change over time. This is all just to give people an idea of what we’re talking about. :)

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

One more thing. We also sometimes reference the two podcasts that Mark was a guest on below. :)

Ear Biscuits podcast with Rhett and Link:

BroKen podcast with Felix and Ken:

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

And another thing! I only took a couple of screenshots of reblogs of this one.

Racism accusation

His original post is here:

For the record, I think all or almost all of us here agreed with him...

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Dragonmax »

Why do you guys hate Jess so much? I don't get it.
Do you guys hate Mark?

Hate is such a strong word to describe our general feelings towards Jess, and no we're actually fans of Mark but we don't participate in his fan base's social media communities for lots of reasons.

Here's two explanations on why lots of GG users dislike Jess, and it was posted on the 5th part of the Markiplier's Relationships thread:
kei wrote:From what I've seen there hasn't been a tremendous amount of hate here directed at her, though I won't pretend it doesn't exist. The majority on GG don't hate her, they're just tired of her bullshit at repeatedly trolling his fanbase when she claims not to hold anything againt them, then feigning innocence at her own incendiary actions (the photos, the "I don't know what you mean OuO" tumblr reply, and the latest screenshot of a private conversation.)

The fire was given fuel when Mark's post made it sound like all the photos, videos, and coincidentally-timed tweets were just "nasty rumors" people spent endless nights searching for when they were actually right there on the surface for the world to see. He then went on to tell his subscribers to go subscribe to her, without any explanation other then the highly suspect "it would mean the world to me". Who does that? Someone who's emotionally needy...and yes, abusive. That is when people started losing their shit.

So yeah, you'll see Jess isn't even the focal point here. The hate ironically didn't come from GG, it came from anons who were posting things to those tumblr blogs. A lot of us took issue with the hateful language being used on Squid's blog in particular, because many of us felt that language was also abusive. People were just getting annoyed at Jess' increasingly desperate grab for attention by tagging him in her latest screencap less than a month after telling GG she wanted to stand on her own two feet and be acknowledged for her own work. No one had a problem that she dated him before, they had a problem that she seems to be riding his coattails at the same time she's claiming that she isn't. Her behavior has been consistently defensive and passive-aggressive as she troll-baits his audience, which in turn makes an impression that's less than favorable. She's not the devil, but she's not anywhere near the innocent lamb she likes to portray herself as.
Dragonmax wrote:Opinions on Jess in this subforum vary a lot. But after her apperance here and the other events that transpired, there is more criticism than praise. Hate is such a strong word to use, actually... One of the times I'd use "hate" is during situations like people doxxing SquidBeatz's personal information and ruining her life.

So pre-Jess's arrival we all had opinions that were like on a spectrum varying from utter dislike to genuine like. When she came in here, she sounded cordial at first and mentioned she was here for her own thread (in the N-Z of the NonGuru forum), her works and not her personal life. After answering a couple of questions there, she then proceeded to the Markiplier's Relationships Part 3 thread and it was the first time she contradicted her word. (Here for her career then she proceeds to her ex's thread.) She offered to answer questions about her and Mark, but didn't really deliver any actual answer at all. Then she came back in the 4th thread and it was more chaotic because her number one fan joined her. (Said number one fan often complained in the Markiplier forum about the gossip surrounding Jess.) Number One Fan was just a plain asshole. Anyway, mods had to intervene. It was that bad. Then she put an end to it with her master post, which clarified some issues like her GAD and how she wants to be her own person, her professional life separate from Mark's realm, among other topics. We thanked her for that...

Then two weeks later Mark posted The Post, and Jess's channel boosted to 8.7K subscriptions because of that. She contradicted her own word and it was that most of these subscribers know her as "Markiplier's ex". And she brags about it, being an Ascended Fangirl and in a status most Markiplier fangirls/boys could dream of. So much for claiming to be a separate person of her own when that happened. Her credibility has gone down the drain and it's hard to believe her word right after what she told us and what happened after that. Actions speak louder than words.

(Also I don't think this has been brought up yet. SuperMaryFace complained about Guru Gossip on Twitter. Guess who replied? Jess. She shared her sentiments in two tweets.)

Did I mention she's an SJW and she's proud of it?

TL;DR of this TL;DR: Jess contradicted herself a lot. She posted a wall of text that finally explained things, and then Mark's admission happened. And someone correct me if I got a detail wrong or whatever. Also, SJW.

Yeah I typed this all on my phone. #SkillsforProfessionalExperience

Dragonmax
Informer
Informer

Post by Dragonmax »

Why is the Markiplier fandom toxic? Why all the criticism on the fandom?

For a community that Mark intended to be helpful and for the better good, the fans have turned into a mob whose definition of "true fan" means that you have to join the same approach of support they have when it comes to supporting Markiplier. This attitude resulted in a mass hysteria whenever they'd encounter people with slightly different opinions and they would respond with attacks. @Kei perfectly summed up what the fandom has done in this post from the Relationships thread, Part 6:
kei wrote:No, shitstorm didn't end because people got violently thrown under the bus, run over and forgotten by the fandom. Leaving the Squid* thing aside for a minute, over the past two months alone you still have:

1. People who were threatened with death, doxxing and excommunication for daring to suggest he had a girlfriend.

2. After a long history of actively pretending to be a bachelor (which is how the issue, I would say, actually began: not by never mentioning a girlfriend, but outright talking about "being lonely" and single) Mark admitted he once had a girlfriend, up until recently, then blaming evidence as "rumors" that made him admit the truth. He then use emotionally manipulative language to convince fans to subscribe to Jess, when they barely knew who she is or why they would want to other than "Mark said it would mean the world to him".

3. People who were threatened with death, doxxing and excommunication for expressing disappointment in his actions and pointing out the fact he could have easily kept his SO private without resorting to lying for almost 2 years to the community he claims transparency with.

4. People who were threatened with death, doxxing and excommunication for expressing disappointment in his community for #3.

So the hurt and forgotten people did the only thing they could: come to GG to vent. Where they knew their lives wouldn't be threatened by the "most caring community on the internet."

The latest post of his doesn't surprise me at all. He assumes everyone can return to the status quo because he feels nothing serious happened in the end. Tell that to the tinyboxtim blog. Tell that to the dozens of anons who expressed gratitude for the ability to voice their very real fear of his fans because they were no longer welcome for voicing anything other than blind support.

In a way, I don't blame him. He feels this is the only way to rein in a fandom gone so far out of control someone really could end up hurt. But the "moving forward thing", weirdly admirable in its own right, won't fix the giant goddamn hole left in the wake of those fans that didn't fit tumblr's version of the "Markiplite mold" who were made to feel like shit, then quickly buried and forgotten.
*Squid refers to @SquidBeatz, the former fan of Mark who grew disappointed in him after he gave Jess's channel free publicity by introducing her as his ex. She was a content creator who was frustrated with the post Mark made. Same fanatics did not like her statements and ruined her personal life by taking her personal info and using it against her.

romr211
Informer
Informer

Post by romr211 »

Since the FAQ has not been updated since the end of August, I figured it would be a good idea to add some things to here. This is just events that have happened since this was last updated and things that have been discussed on here before, in case you either don't have the time or are just too lazy to catch up on every single thread.

Just a reminder, this is not a discussion thread. If you would like to discuss anything related to Markiplier, do it either on his main thread or his relationship thread. However, if you find out that I'm wrong about something or feel that there is something worth adding to here, you are welcome to do so.

Relationships:

So it's been a while since someone asked this...does Mark have a girlfriend NOW?
Yes, Mark does have a girlfriend named Amy. Up until recently, people on the thread referred to her as HMG (Horse Mask Girl) as a way to protect her privacy because she is not an internet personality and at the time, Mark and Amy were not public so a majority of the fandom did not know about her yet.
They went public at the end of Vidcon, although people had speculated the relationship before hand.

Can you give us a run down of everything leading up to that?
Well, here's a little timeline of everything.....enjoy.

October 2015
Mark made a Facebook post saying that he had to go on a last minute trip out of town.
https://www.facebook.com/markiplier/pos ... 8395056798

He never gave details on what he was doing, but some people on here figured out that it had something to do with Amy since he had followed her on Twitter during that time period (I believe someone said it somewhere in Markiplier - Part 5, but I don't remember the exact page). What he was doing with Amy? As far as we know, that was the first time they had met each other and he was helping her out with an internship (she was in college at the time, and was living in LA that Fall for the internship).

December 1, 2015
Mark posted a video playing the game Ghost Supermarket. At the end of the video, Mark, Matt, and Ryan were all on camera at once. At the time, everyone here figured that it could either have been one of the Grumps, Matthias, or Matt's girlfriend that filmed this part of the video. While this has not been confirmed, we realize that Amy was most likely the one who was filming them, since this was right around the Popcorn video.
Here's a link to the video. It should start at the time the little "sketch" starts, in case you don't want to watch the entire video: https://youtu.be/RbmYiWTvkOs?t=7m23s

December 4, 2015
Mark uploaded the Popcorn sketch he did with Matt and Ryan, along with the bloopers from the sketch. At the very end of the blooper video, you can see a girl in a horse mask jumping onto the bed.
Video link. Again, should start right before jumping on the bed. I would suggest slowing down the speed to 0.25 because it happens pretty quickly: https://youtu.be/cRizU7NlB2g?t=4m5s

Like with the Ghost Supermarket video, people here thought that it was Matt's girlfriend. Someone on here soon found out that she was not in LA at the time (again, look at the Markiplier - Part 5 thread), and that it was Amy who was wearing the horse mask. This was the first time Amy made an appearance (although most people in the fandom didn't really notice who she was at the time).

Oh, and if you haven't noticed, this is how everyone here came up with the nickname HMG.

December 23, 2015
While Mark was in Cincinnati during the holidays, he went to the aquarium a couple days before Christmas. I'm not sure where the post is or anything, but someone here had mentioned that someone spotted Mark at the aquarium with a girl that had platinum blonde hair, which is the same hair color that Amy has.
Here's a link to the thread that this is discussed in: http://gurugossiper.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &start=650

February 2016
During Part 2 of Mark's Firewatch playthrough, he mentions that he is preparing a trip to Boston to visit a friend of his. He was visiting Amy, since she went to college in Boston, and this visit just so happened to be on Valentines Day weekend.
https://youtu.be/omZA4E6n4pM?t=2m20s

April 2016
During the Polaris Party at PAX East, Polaris' Instagram uploaded a picture of Amy and Mark.

It was quickly taken down afterwards, but the fandom started to spread the screenshot around and arguing back and forth on whether or not Amy was Mark's girlfriend.
We thought that either Mark or Amy asked them to take the picture down since she did not want people to find out about her or their relationship yet. When Amy made the relationship public, she tweeted someone who had asked about the picture and said that the picture was uploaded and taken down before the two of them even knew about it, meaning that neither of them asked to take it down.

June 6, 2016
In Mark's "TAKE A BREAK MARKIPLIER!!" video, you can see a pair of legs in the reflection of his computer monitor. This also caused a big uproar in the fandom, and caused fans to argue back and forth on whether it was Matt's legs or Amy's legs. (Spoiler: they're Amy's legs, obviously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW2pgJdMIKQ

June 7, 2016
The fandom continued with their speculation when Mark took Amy as his date to the Warcraft premiere. Twitch was streaming the event, and Mark was interviewed at one point during the stream. People took screenshots of Amy off to the side while Mark was being interviewed, and of them talking to each other and walking off together afterwards.

June 22, 2016
Amy was with Mark when he filmed a music video for Ninja Sex Party at a roller skating rink. The most obvious proof of this was from a video from Pamela Horton's Snapchat story. The video was on Youtube, but I can't find it, so it most likely was taken down (or I just didn't look hard enough). The only other proof of it was a picture that Amy tweeted of her roller skates. The rug in her picture matches the rug in the pictures Mark and others took while filming.
Wait, nevermind, I found the video, there's no sound though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHr65u4 ... e=youtu.be

June 23-27, 2016 (Vidcon)
Someone met Mark and Amy at a VIP Party at Vidcon and tweeted this:

Some other people said that the person who tweeted this picture also said that Mark told her that Amy was his girlfriend when they were asked if he really confirmed it or not. She deleted the tweets soon after (I'm assuming it was because people kept asking her questions and was bombarded with tweets). Neither of them said anything when this happened.

A couple days later, Mark and Amy were seen walking around Disneyland with a few other Youtubers. When a couple of fans were talking back and forth about the two of them, Amy replied to them saying "oof". This was the first time either of them had replied to fans asking about the relationship.
https://twitter.com/iceddarkroast/statu ... 8611486720

Amy then tweeted this picture of her and Mark at Disneyland, as a way to confirm the relationship.
https://twitter.com/iceddarkroast/statu ... 0891769857

People were still left with questions about the relationship even after she posted the picture.

The next day, Amy confirmed the relationship.
https://twitter.com/iceddarkroast/statu ... 4250203136

And that's pretty much it as far as his relationships go. Like Amy mentioned in the tweet, they are keeping their relationship private. She has also said that she doesn't feel comfortable with being on camera yet, so she most likely won't be in any videos with him (at least not for a while).

romr211
Informer
Informer

Post by romr211 »

Matt and Ryan:

Do Matt and Ryan still live with Mark?
No, Matt and Ryan no longer live with Mark. They moved out and got their own apartment.

Is Matt still editing videos for him?
Matt is no longer working as Mark's editor. Recently, Mark has said on a Facebook livestream that he has gotten a new editor, but we still have not been introduced to her yet.
Offtopic: And before you ask: yes, Mark's new editor is a woman. and no, despite what everyone speculated, it is neither Amy or SchiiFlight (Wade's editor).

Is Mark still friends with them?
Mark does not have any beef with Matt or Ryan and they are still friends. The reason why they aren't around each other as much as they used to is because:
1) They don't live together anymore (as I mentioned previously).
2) Matt and Ryan recently started a new gaming channel called SuperMega, and have been really busy making content for that channel (which is also why Matt doesn't edit for Mark anymore).

Links:
Matt's Instagram post about moving out:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BEQii61BfV7/?hl=en

Matt's tweet about not being Mark's editor:
https://twitter.com/matthwatson/status/ ... 3536200705

Livestream where Mark talks about why Matt no longer edits videos for him and where he mentions the new editor (starts at about 12:10):
https://www.facebook.com/markiplier/vid ... 368047999/

romr211
Informer
Informer

Post by romr211 »

Mark and Jack

What is Septiplier?
Septiplier is the ship name for Jacksepticeye and Markiplier.

Why do people dislike Septiplier shippers so much?
Before I say anything, I just want to say that I know that not every single person who ships Septiplier is like this. I'm sure that there are many people who do ship Septiplier that are respectful towards Mark, Jack, Amy, and Wiishu.
However, there are also a lot of people who take things too far. The Septiplier shippers that people have a problem with are the ones who force it onto them, send hate messages to Wiishu and Amy, and make NSFW fanart of them and put them in the main tags on Tumblr, despite the fact that they know Mark and Jack check their main tags. Jack and Mark have both stated they are straight and not gay/bisexual. They also both have girlfriends. Ever since both of their relationships became public, their girlfriends have received a lot of shit from Septiplier shippers. Wiishu has gotten messages on Tumblr, telling her that she is "keeping Septiplier from becoming real." Amy has also gotten hate from these people.
Jack has made a Tumblr post sticking up for his girlfriend and telling them how uncomfortable he feels about NSFW fanart of Septiplier in his maintag. Mark has also stated on multiple occasions that Septiplier is not real and will never become real.

Jack's post:
http://therealjacksepticeye.tumblr.com/ ... g-together

Offtopic: I know that most people already know about the Septiplier thing, but I just thought I should write something about it for anyone who either has only recently found Mark, or any fans that are not in the loop with Mark outside of Youtube.

Why are people saying that Mark and Jack hate each other? Do they hate each other?
First of all, no. Jack and Mark do not hate each other, and are very good friends.
People have been saying that there was beef going on between them because of something Mark did in a Facebook livestream. On that livestream (the same one I mentioned in the post about him, Matt, and Ryan), Mark was talking about the pose Jack does in a lot of his photos recently. I don't feel like going into too much detail on what he said, but if you watch towards the end of the livestream, you'll know what he said.
Someone found that bit funny and posted that clip on Tumblr with the caption "OH MY GOD DRAMA". Jack saw the clip, and got upset and reblogged the video and made a comment about how it made him feel. Both Jack and the original poster have deleted the post, but here is a screenshot of the post. I scribbled out the OP's URL, just to make sure no one sends them hate.

When Jack made that comment, JSE fans started to give Mark shit for making Jack upset, and Markiplites started to give Jack shit for getting "offended easily" over Mark's jokes.
There really isn't one person to blame for this situation. The whole thing was kind of just a misunderstanding, and was made a lot bigger than it really was. Jack has said that him and Mark talked to each other about it in private and worked things out. There's no bad blood between them.

Return to “Markiplier”