Just Me :DMod Hat On :D

shyguyflys
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Markiplier - Part 2

Post by shyguyflys »

PsychGrad, I agree with you. For what he's got to deal with, I do not have any part of it.

Also, we got ourselves a new thread. ;)

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

It bothers me a little how much people look up to him. I don't know why. Sometimes part of me wants to get on Tumblr and yell for everyone to leave him alone, not that it'll do any good. Let him make his videos for us to laugh at without people needing to dump their problems and life stories on him as well. He has enough to worry about as it is.

Whoever he ends up with will deserve a medal for everything that the fanbase will probably put her through. I don't envy her either.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just a little annoyed tonight.

kayuhsee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kayuhsee »

I really have nothing to add here other than I want to subscribe to this thread, but yeah what's new that the fanbase is crazy.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

kayuhsee wrote:I really have nothing to add here other than I want to subscribe to this thread, but yeah what's new that the fanbase is crazy.
Yeah I guess I'm only noticing it now since I wasn't that active on social media before. :?

Edit: spelling

Ely
Talker
Talker

Post by Ely »

That is what stardom does to people especially when said individual is in the middle between fame and being a normal individual all in one. I like to call it fame limbo. What makes his situation even more tragic is: he has all the benefits of a celebrity except he doesn't have anyone protecting him or his interests. Mark is a one man show. He doesn't have a team of people helping him unlike actual Hollywood or just reality show stars.

The only reason he has so many girls chasing after him is for one reason and one alone: he is handsome and has money. As much as I dislike Mark and his videos, you do have to admit the following about him: he knows how to make someone feel good especially his female audience, he is charismatic, he has talent in turning his flaws into endearment qualities, he is "generous" with his money and time, and he is handsome. He has all the qualities every girl likes in a guy -- both physical and mental qualities.

Unfortunately, however, Mark knows of the power his persona has as well. He has milked that aspect of himself by offering a lot of fanservice to his female audience. Which many of those fans believe is his way of giving them permission to not only gawk, but to express their lust for him. Treating him as though he was their possession. Mark offers the illusion of an imperfect boyfriend to them.

That's the only way I can explain the cult-like behavior I see not only in Youtube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Vines, and Reddit. I even see these qualities even in some of our members in the previous thread as well. How can you love someone you have never met before? Have a dim crush that will be replaced by the next celebrity or attraction, maybe I can accept. Anything beyond love I cannot. Along with believing the idea we understand his situation. Sympathize, yes, but empathize -- no, none of you can't unless you are a low-tier celebrity in the same predicament.

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 »

I somewhat agree with you Ely. But I do have some disagreements, I one could call them that.

Please don't take this as any disrespect to you:

But yes Mark does use his power of celebrity for himself but what celebrity doesn't? Even celebs who are known to be genuinely good hearted use their power of celebrity for their own gain whether it's for selfish reasons or whatever. Does that make Mark a bad guy? No, certainly not. As long as he doesn't do anything completely unhonorable, he's all good.

Fangirls are like that in ANY AND EVERY fandom. Yea, he's a very good looking guy and he acknowledges this but there is a great portion of his fandom that can see past Markiplier and see him as Mark Fischbach. The only people in true judgement of his true self are his family, Bob, Wade and even Molly. But given that they show no hidden beef, he seems like a genuinely cool dude but is smart enough to use his looks for things.

What confuses me the most is the fact that you at you dislike Mark. I respect that very much, but you established that you dislike him, his videos and all likeliness his fandom. So why do you continue to speak of him, his happenings and his fans when you say you dislike them? It's seems like a waste of time and energy to put your opinions on someone you don't like on their new happenings and life. I know you're in your own business but that deeply confused me.

But in a nutshell what I'm trying to say is, these things certainly don't make Mark or any celebrity bad if they use their fame for all the wrong and bad reasons. He likely does his charity privately. He doesn't always want a bone for everything he does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 »

Kieran's. I get where you're going and you're in full right and are right to be annoyed at that. Many fans regardless of Instagram, Twitter, facebook and tumblr seem to give Mark this over affirmation.

He literally gave an informative plea to please see him as a human and not a god tier figure or item. That he is just as subseptable to mistakes and assinine things as the next person.
When fans were trying to inform others of respecting him and got back the old topic of HER, people flooded the tag of how he saved them in different aspects. He appreciated it, but I guess he felt an overload and broke.

Maybe something happened, maybe the holiday brought back some grief or the reminder of how people can be so invasive...who knows. All I know is, is that he had a breakdown and an overload.

Many of marks tumblr community are very respectful of him and his privacy and are able to treat him like a human all the while loving him for what he does and him as Markiplier.

But on the subject of his breakdown, tumblr is once again at it with him being a child molestor/rapist/pedophile and are still calling him a "transmisogynist ass".

elaidara
Learner
Learner

Post by elaidara »

Anyone watch his reaction to the 8 million fan video yet?

Ely
Talker
Talker

Post by Ely »

I, in no way, found any of your thoughts to be disrespectful except when you began to question me on the way I use my time. I do not have to offer you an explanation and won't.

Also, to answer your own questions:

I never said Mark is a "bad guy" for using his power in fanservice. After all, his image is the product he is selling to his fanbase. I personally find it annoying, but I'm not the one paying for the product he is offering.

Unfortunately, I doubt anyone who is a fan of his or heard of his name will be able to see him as Mark Edward Fischbach. After all, you will always see him as Markiplier, no matter how much you wish to treat him as simply Mark. None of us truly know who the true Mark Edward Fischbach is because he never introduced him to us. As far as I know, he has only offered brief glimpses of it before his persona takes over again. So in my honest opinion, he only plays the part as Markiplier, the entertainer, who wishes to make people smile. But I will agree with you, only his family and friends are the only ones who truly know him. Just because you are able to treat a celebrity as a regular human, it doesn't mean you can see them past their current persona unless they, themselves, show it to you which in Markiplier's case -- a difficult task. Unless you believe you personally know Kim Kardashian's true self just because she has a reality tv show? Or actors like Chris Pratt just because he shares a glimpse of his life to his fans? Can you honestly say you personally know them? These cases are the same as Markiplier and any youtuber. No fan personally knows them.

And for the final time, I never once labelled Mark as a bad celebrity. On the contrary, I believe he has a terrifying and toxic fanbase that makes him look bad.

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 »

Ely, I am sorry for that disrespectful comment. I was only curious because I've ran into blogs who say they no longer like Mark or his fans yet continue to update themselves on his and their happenings which Ifind...a bit weird.

I forgot to acknowledge your own statement and im sorry about that too. I try to simultaneously speak to lurkers who may try to twist our words and immediately jump to the conclusion that we're a bunch of salty people looking for things to trash Mark on. But I still do acknowledge that I failed to correctly interpret your post and im really sorry for it

Gorillaz1236
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Gorillaz1236 »

And Ely, I can't agree with you more. I have seen many of Marks fans from Reddit, Twitter and tumblr know the fine lines of who he is as a human and his fictional persona and are able to treat him accordingly all the while still loving him.

But they are quickly shined out by those toxic fans who only care about what he's hiding in his underwear, horny for him or want to ride off his popularity. Even worse, the fans who are so blinded by his fame and looks that they take the "precious cinnamon bun" literally and literally attack people when they're trying to give Mark constructive criticism. Those fans literally give the fandom a bad name. There are those who take his words to heart and try and better themselves and acknowledge his flaws and give their own advice. But naturally, a good percentile of horny blind fans ruin all of that.

Even he is getting frustrated and angered with it.

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

Ely wrote:On the contrary, I believe he has a terrifying and toxic fanbase that makes him look bad.
Agreed.

I saw parts of his reaction to the 8 million sub video. It was hard to watch. I don't like seeing people cry, even though I can be a big sap myself. But him watching that on Father's Day? Can't even imagine the emotions involved.

FatPrincess
Talker
Talker

Post by FatPrincess »

On days like today, I feel like we give him entirely too much grief. He isn't like those God awful Vine boys. He just has a very cult-like fan base.
Mark seems to be trying to remind them that he's a normal human being, but I'm not sure anything can be done honestly.

FatPrincess
Talker
Talker

Post by FatPrincess »

Salt Kracker strikes again... :rofl:
He needs to just fade into obscurity with what little dignity he has left.

Cry and Ken have both had their own issues. I think Mark is the one who removed himself from those situations, not vice versa. Cry even said in a livestream that Mark unadded him on Skype.

kayuhsee
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by kayuhsee »

FatPrincess wrote:Salt Kracker strikes again... :rofl:
He needs to just fade into obscurity with what little dignity he has left.

Cry and Ken have both had their own issues. I think Mark is the one who removed himself from those situations, not vice versa. Cry even said in a livestream that Mark unadded him on Skype.
Wait so what is Ken's issue do we know? I like his videos, but it's one of those things where I just watch a whole bunch when I'm bored. I get the feeling he may be salty Mark has more subs?

Kierans
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Kierans »

handlewithcare wrote: guessing this is in reaction to today's events. My thoughts today were how the other youtubers react to mark. For some, like CTK and Cry (there are others) they seemed to like him at first. And then slowly start to distance themselves. Until they start throwing shade on the DL (in streams or passive aggressive tweets) never openly. I really want to know why that is.
I thought the same thing when I saw that.

I'm curious. Who else seemed to distance themselves from Mark besides Ken and Cry?

Edit: and why?
Last edited by Kierans on Mon Jun 22, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FatPrincess
Talker
Talker

Post by FatPrincess »

kayuhsee wrote:Wait so what is Ken's issue do we know? I like his videos, but it's one of those things where I just watch a whole bunch when I'm bored. I get the feeling he may be salty Mark has more subs?
He has mocked his fans with mental illness and made light of issues like cutting, while at the same time claiming to have depression himself.

Post by Guest »

handlewithcare wrote: guessing this is in reaction to today's events. My thoughts today were how the other youtubers react to mark. For some, like CTK and Cry (there are others) they seemed to like him at first. And then slowly start to distance themselves. Until they start throwing shade on the DL (in streams or passive aggressive tweets) never openly. I really want to know why that is.

Fuck off Ken, you're going to marry Mary, so you are REALLY in NO position to say someone is full of crap, but everyone loves them so much because you are with manipulative, using, lying, SJW pandering trash.

Also, I bet he is jelly as fuck because his fans haven't done anything similar to what Mark's fans have done, atleast to my knowledge.

mark's fans are crazy af, but they really have set the bar for fan milestone vids imo.

Also with FatPrincess on this, Mark pulls away, not them and then they get pissed or meh about it.

Ken is hands down so upset that him and mark aren't friends irl, I'm sure mark saw it as purely a youtube thing but Ken saw it as irl friendship.

Look at Cry and Felix, Felix Im sure wanted irl friendship but Cry being paranoid as fuck, didnt want to meet irl and that strained the friendship and felix was like "fuck you, I don't need this" atleast that's what I think and a few others ive spoken to as well.

PsychGrad0317
Talker
Talker

Post by PsychGrad0317 »

handlewithcare wrote:
Kierans wrote:
I'm curious. Who else seemed to distance themselves from Mark besides Ken and Cry?

Edit: and why?
He used to play a lot with Minx back in the day.( I think somebody linked a video on here?) and he used to tweet at her, and Felix a lot. Cry and Ken too. No idea why they don't talk anymore. I'm starting to assume that they met the Mark we never see.
You're assuming there IS a "Mark that we never see" and that he's an asshole. I'm not ready to make those assumptions based on a tweet from some guy who may or may not have been Mark's friend.
Status update: Studying...Mostly. Sometimes. Except, you know, when I'm not.

Return to “Markiplier”