Glam and Gore

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Glam and Gore

Post by luchadora0112 »

I mean honestly... I get it... she does gore. But when she did that really creepy creature for the NYX face awards she had one IG post where it looked creepy.. and another with a pink fluffy boa and hat...

it is all about context. so while yes I do expect GORE on her channel... some of the stuff she does in context is extremely freaky for some people. especially when her video started out so innocently I didn't expect it to take that dark turn, and while she put a lot of work in and it was extremely creative and cool... she definitely should have warned people! it wouldn't hurt!

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

jessica3llen wrote:I mean honestly... I get it... she does gore. But when she did that really creepy creature for the NYX face awards she had one IG post where it looked creepy.. and another with a pink fluffy boa and hat...

it is all about context. so while yes I do expect GORE on her channel... some of the stuff she does in context is extremely freaky for some people. especially when her video started out so innocently I didn't expect it to take that dark turn, and while she put a lot of work in and it was extremely creative and cool... she definitely should have warned people! it wouldn't hurt!
Yeah, agreed. Obviously her channel is Glam and Gore, so gore is expected. I also didn't expect the video to take such a dark turn either since it started off with the police officer and then poison ivy. But it went real dark.

I ended up having to skip through parts, but I also get freaked out easily. Not to the extent of a phobia, but a warning would of been helpful because I wasn't prepared.

Again, she is incredibly talented, but some of the things she does do irk me a bit.
Previously xluna_bella <3

rikatan
Talker
Talker

Post by rikatan »

I really dislike how she's making it seem like a joke and it sounds like she's belittling people who said it was too scary. I personally loved the video and would have been disappointed if she didn't pull that off, but I could see how it could scare people really badly to the point of panic attacks.

And I dislike how she has that if you don't like anything about my video, you can gtfo attitude.

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

rikatan wrote:I really dislike how she's making it seem like a joke and it sounds like she's belittling people who said it was too scary. I personally loved the video and would have been disappointed if she didn't pull that off, but I could see how it could scare people really badly to the point of panic attacks.

And I dislike how she has that if you don't like anything about my video, you can gtfo attitude.
Yeah, that's my issue with the whole situation too. :/

She's acting as if people being terrified by it are being irrational and too sensitive.
And like you said, they should just not watch any of her videos.

She's acting like freaking MannyMUA

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

I responded to the comment that she posted saying I was disappointed by her response to people being actually terrified.
I'll probably get shit from everyone for saying that but whatever.

She could of had a better response than that.

ETA//

Sorry, I know this is a rave thread but I really can't with her immaturity right now.

Lydia Deetz
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lydia Deetz »

She really doesn't know when to just stop, does she? Just like the sugar skull thing, she could have just simply apologized and explained it wasn't her intent to be offensive - but she wouldn't let it go.
Live people ignore the strange and unusual
I myself am strange and unusual

luchadora0112
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by luchadora0112 »

Ew. That is just immature! She could disagree without that mocking tone. Like, "Sorry if some of these costumes bothered you. This is the type of content I love to create so going forward you can expect scary and gross disguised as cute and sexy...especially around halloween."

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

Exactly. It could of been a simple. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to trigger anyone and I'm sorry if you were.
DONE. THAT'S IT.
She didn't even have to put the trigger warning in the video, she could of put it in the description.

Mental health isn't a joke Mykie. :/

rikatan
Talker
Talker

Post by rikatan »

Reading her tweets right now towards LunaSheep (I'm gonna assume that's you because dem sheeps) and two other users is making me really disappointed in her behavior.. like no one's attacking you Mykie. You guys are just letting her know in like the nicest way possible what she could possibly do in her future videos so people don't cry in her videos, but she's acting like someone being attacked by haters.. ugh.

Time to pack my tiny bags and move onto the trash thread.

LunaSheep
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by LunaSheep »

Oh lord. Being bombarded by a million tweets now. Time to turn off my phone notifications.

And she still doesn't get it. I'm going to hitch that ride to the trash thread with you.

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

Oh geez I missed the shit show when I was at work. (I watched the video then had to go to work.)

How hard is it to simply apologize and move on?
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

rachz
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by rachz »

Her behaviour makes me so sad. She has SO MUCH potential. She's a brilliant makeup and SFX artist. She has a seemingly good personality, always bubbly and fun. But her acting like this at the tiniest amount of constructive criticism is such a let down.

seriouslyrn
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by seriouslyrn »

She drives me CRAZY! She has so much potential. She's funny and so talented. But she constantly offends and makes fun of her SUBS, the people who are FUNDING her life. One little remark and she GOES off. She's the only youtuber I see do this. It's crazy.

And then five minutes later she asks her subs for a favor.
"Send so and so a birthday wish.." "Go to so and so's profile and leave a random comment"

She offends her subs and then uses them. Wonderful person.

ceragresham
Debater
Debater

Post by ceragresham »

Sorry, but since there's now a "trash" thread, I figured I would air my feelings about this whole situation here, because I fall somewhere in the middle in this argument.

Starting off, the video that won Mykie the NYX Face Awards was her "True Colors" video, where there was also a big twist: her inner demon, if you will. Everyone LOVED that video, because it showed that there are parts of Mykie that are cute and glamorous, but there are also the parts of Mykie that will push the boundaries of horror. She also had her troll paranormal video for the face awards. I never saw any terrible reactions to either of those. When people found out she was trolling in the paranormal video, it got her through to the next round because it was impressive. When she had her inner demon, it was endearing to see the side of Mykie that loves things like that. I think those videos alone give a pretty good indication of who Mykie is.

Secondly, I think there were a few warning signs that the video was going to continuously get darker. It started with the Pop Art Girl's eyes turning red (which was hard to notice, I will say that), but then the deer was shot in the head. Right then and there, I knew that this would be another type of video where Mykie twists herself to show that she can be cute (sexy cop), but also still loves the horror and the gore (basically everything else). Also, come on guys, the second I saw a BALLOON in a video that was getting progressively scarier, I knew it was time to dip out of there. I know you all are smarter than that.

Now, do I think she's wrong for how she's reacting to these criticisms? Sort of. I don't think she should apologize if she's really not sorry. An empty apology is worse, in my opinion, than no apology at all. It is her channel, and she can do what she wants, but I think she needs to realize that in doing so, she is opening herself up to these responses, and learn to handle it better. At this point in her career, if she wants to move off of YouTube, I think it would be wise to invest in a PR person to help with things like this. I think she would have been better off saying that she will continue to make videos like this, and if it's something you find yourself getting this upset over, maybe her channel isn't for you, and moved on. So, yes, I do think she is acting immature about it all.

I don't think it's fair for anyone to police how others feel. She shouldn't blame people for being upset over her video, but I think people are reacting a little too harshly. Lex made a video specifically for the fear of holes, and no one gave her shit. Unfortunately, as trypophobia becomes more and more well known, it will slowly start trickling its way into the horror industry; that's just how it works.

Lydia Deetz
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Lydia Deetz »

No one gave Lex shit for her fear of holes video because she included a warning at the beginning, to be fair.
Live people ignore the strange and unusual
I myself am strange and unusual

pinkchampagne_
Talker
Talker

Post by pinkchampagne_ »

like ceragresham I'm also on the fence with the situation. I disagree completely with how mykie is reacting to the criticism, she's acting like a 7 yr old. on the other hand I think that people with triggers should learn to overcome them rather than run around crying for trigger warnings on everything. I, MYSELF, suffer from triggers which can cause serious panic attacks so I'm not just talking out of my ass, I understand what it's like. when you're on the internet especially on a site with sfx and you're aware of your phobias/triggers then it's your responsibility to continue with caution. I agree with mykie on the fact that sfx and makeup in general is an art form and art is free to be whatever the creator wants. it's not fair to the artist to have to sensor their work just to cater to everyone's needs. but this is just my opinion.

I don't think lex's video is on the same page as mykie' though so I wouldn't compare how they went about a tw. lex's video was strictly about how to create a cluster of holes. it focused solely on that so providing a tw is needed. mykie's vid showed different looks and was intended to troll, it was made to catch you off guard so a warning would have defeated the purpose.

noshant
Talker
Talker

Post by noshant »

I don't know, I kind of expect Mykie's vids to go into gore/scary territory, and she's never put warnings on her vids before. Therefore, I can see why she's a bit annoyed about criticism and complaints - 'Glam and Gore' and her previous videos should be enough warning.
At the same time, she hasn't been responding well to criticism, which is unfortunate. I still love her work, but her latest personality displays are a bit offputting. Wasn't too happy about her featuring Leanmeals LA or whatever they're called on her IG as well.

mio
Talker
Talker

Post by mio »

i've liked mike since i first saw her videos, and instantly subscribed. & honestly i understand where she's coming from with the trigger warning fiasco, people are being silly, but she favourited this tweet from onision and i can't.. she's one of those girls :( i'm so bummed out.

noshant
Talker
Talker

Post by noshant »

mio wrote:i've liked mike since i first saw her videos, and instantly subscribed. & honestly i understand where she's coming from with the trigger warning fiasco, people are being silly, but she favourited this tweet from onision and i can't.. she's one of those girls :( i'm so bummed out.

Oh for fucks sake. Why do all the online people I like turn out to be douchenozzles.

ceragresham
Debater
Debater

Post by ceragresham »

I don't agree with Mykie on that but honestly people are entitled to their opinions. If people try to educate her on why things like that aren't true, and she still won't change her mind, then that really sucks that she's so close minded. However, I don't know her personally. I don't hang out with her. And most importantly, she leaves that shit out of her videos. So, in all honesty, as long as she keeps her videos about SFX and makeup, I don't really care about what she does on twitter or instagram, or what she's like as a person. If you like her videos but don't like her personal views, unfollow her other social media platforms, and continue to enjoy her creative content, or move on. It's not our job to make these people into who we want them to be. We can try our best to educate, but at the end of the day, they're going to be who they want to be. And it shouldn't matter to us anyways, because we only see what we allow ourselves to online.

And also, Lex's thumbnail had a picture of a person covered in holes, which you would see if you were subscribed and scrolling down your feed. Besides that, she literally made a video teaching people how to scare people with trypophobia. I like Lex too, I just don't think it's fair to condemn Mykie for something other SFX YouTuber's are doing as well.

Return to “Glam and Gore”