Sam Bunting

Post Reply
thoakun
Wallflower
Wallflower
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:57 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Sam Bunting

Post by thoakun » Mon May 01, 2017 12:05 am

There doesn't seem to be any thread on the whole internet about her videos. I'm curious to know what other people think of Dr Sam Bunting https://www.youtube.com/user/drsamshoes/videos. While I think it's great that a qualified dermatologist joins Youtube to educate people about skincare, but I've noticed several patterns:

- She only recommends the same old products: Elta MD sunscreen, La Roche Porsay cleanser, Obagi vitamin C serum and cream. She mentioned in 1 video that she was sponsored by Elta MD.

- She only responded to positive feedback on her recommendations or advices. I don't remember her ever addressing some constructive criticisms from viewers, like why she always recommended expensive sunscreen, why her face looked very red in her morning skincare routine, what she thought of Japanese sunscreens etc.

I open this thread in the adored bloggers section because I mean this place to be a critical discussion of her videos strictly. Feel free to move it to appropriate thread.

Gbirdy
Wallflower
Wallflower
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:43 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Gbirdy » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:25 pm

Actually , I’ve watched all her videos and she’s recommended some great budget buys too .

I LOVE her . She’s very high end though - I got a quote to be seen for a 30 min appointment and it is £395 . She is one of the top cosmetic derms .

I think she doesn’t answer a lot of random questions as: with her being a doctor she doesn’t want to have any liability for recommendations she would have to provide online - also she isn’t going to give all her advice away for free .

I remember the comment about red skin but she mentioned that in another video .

kittenteethz
Learner
Learner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by kittenteethz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:01 pm

I like her but she's awkward and she seems to be obsessed with exfoliation: her face is always super red like a burn victim which she covers with foundation (but it still shows through)

User avatar
Error404
Talker
Talker
Posts: 150
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:07 pm
Has thanked: 93 times
Been thanked: 27 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Error404 » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:07 pm

She looks like a red and greasy mess in her newest video.

haseenabomb3
Wanderer
Wanderer
Posts: 8
Joined: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:10 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 2 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by haseenabomb3 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:15 am

I do quite enjoy her videos, mainly because they are short, informative and to the point and not endless ramblings like a lot of other youtubers. That said, I don't quite understand why she thinks looking like a greasy snow globe is an attractive look? There is a fine line between looking healthy/radiant/luminous and looking like you dunked your face in a vat of oil. Her over that mad witch Hirons any day though

User avatar
Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Posts: 4995
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Dandelion » Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 am

I'm glad I found this thread! It's a shame there are not more people talking about her, I can imagine she has quite a following by now. What does everyone think about her skincare line? I'm really tempted to try it, but the prices and shipping costs (to Germany in my case) are a bit off putting, as is the fact that the cleanser doesn't seem to remove much makeup. She doesn't wear much makeup, yet her own cleanser didn't remove it. When people commented on the fact that she basically still had on half her eye makeup after the cleanse, she answered that she wanted to keep it real. Well, if the reality of a cleanser is that it doesn't cleanse, why bother? The sunscreen seems very expensive as well. People in the comments are saying that you get about twenty days of use out of one bottle if you use the amount Dr Sam recommends.

SamuelJ
Stalker
Stalker
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:36 am
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by SamuelJ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:47 am

I think Dr Bunting’s product line and skin care advice are all good and reasonable. I don’t know what guidelines exist in regards to professional standards in the UK, but I do feel she misrepresents herself somewhat. She is not a qualified dermatologist. She has done some dermatology training but not finished and is only registered with the GMC as a general doctor, not a specialist. Obviously she is knowledgeable in her chosen area, but not being forthcoming with qualifications is very misleading

Sputnik
Informer
Informer
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 559 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Sputnik » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:27 am

Dandelion wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:17 am
I'm glad I found this thread! It's a shame there are not more people talking about her, I can imagine she has quite a following by now. What does everyone think about her skincare line? I'm really tempted to try it, but the prices and shipping costs (to Germany in my case) are a bit off putting, as is the fact that the cleanser doesn't seem to remove much makeup. She doesn't wear much makeup, yet her own cleanser didn't remove it. When people commented on the fact that she basically still had on half her eye makeup after the cleanse, she answered that she wanted to keep it real. Well, if the reality of a cleanser is that it doesn't cleanse, why bother? The sunscreen seems very expensive as well. People in the comments are saying that you get about twenty days of use out of one bottle if you use the amount Dr Sam recommends.
omg that bothered me so much. I've seen some beauty/skin care gurus do that and it bugs the shit out of me. Who the fuck goes for a thorough cleanse and leaves half their eye makeup on? And especially not a top dermatologist who's shilling her high end skincare line. That's not keeping it real.

Other than that, I don't mind her. Her advice is basic and she doesn't seem cray cray like the other yt derm *cough cough*. She addressed her red face in one video if I remember correctly, something about her celtic complexion turning red easily. Her lighting is suspect though. It's very flattering to her skin. In Andrea's vlog where she made an appearance, she had nice skin, but you could believe that she was 40 something woman with nice skin. In her own videos, she looks much younger.

User avatar
yooguise
Debater
Debater
Posts: 195
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:51 am
Has thanked: 361 times
Been thanked: 692 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by yooguise » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 pm

I had no idea she wasn’t a dermatologist. Very interesting.

She seems overly married to expensive products, and her skincare advice is often needlessly complicated. I couldn’t care less how she does her makeup, or what she carries in h r handbag. The greasy skin is not attractive, but I think she has toned that down recently, or am I mistaken? Her photos are abysmal: unnatural and all the same.

On the other hand, her awkwardness is appealing to me. She’s not pretending to be someone she’s not. Similarly, I applaud her flushed complexion. My skin has always flushed, and I don’t try to conceal it. Healthy, attractive skin should t be a mask, IMO.

Major props to her for leaving no criticisms in her comments. I’m made what may have sounded like a negative comment on one of her videos a while ago, and her response was lovely.

Similarly, kudos for having slight asymmetry and natural teeth. I think she’s naturally pretty and neither wants nor needs to look like a completely different person. Mind you, she’s British. And it tends to be Americans who go for all the fake “enhancements”.

ETA shirt, to the point videos, professional (no stupid vlogs about her private life), and she’s not trying to build a YouTube community over which she can reign.

Sputnik
Informer
Informer
Posts: 254
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:39 am
Has thanked: 188 times
Been thanked: 559 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Sputnik » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:03 am

yooguise wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 pm
I had no idea she wasn’t a dermatologist. Very interesting.

She seems overly married to expensive products, and her skincare advice is often needlessly complicated. I couldn’t care less how she does her makeup, or what she carries in h r handbag. The greasy skin is not attractive, but I think she has toned that down recently, or am I mistaken? Her photos are abysmal: unnatural and all the same.

On the other hand, her awkwardness is appealing to me. She’s not pretending to be someone she’s not. Similarly, I applaud her flushed complexion. My skin has always flushed, and I don’t try to conceal it. Healthy, attractive skin should t be a mask, IMO.

Major props to her for leaving no criticisms in her comments. I’m made what may have sounded like a negative comment on one of her videos a while ago, and her response was lovely.

Similarly, kudos for having slight asymmetry and natural teeth. I think she’s naturally pretty and neither wants nor needs to look like a completely different person. Mind you, she’s British. And it tends to be Americans who go for all the fake “enhancements”.

ETA shirt, to the point videos, professional (no stupid vlogs about her private life), and she’s not trying to build a YouTube community over which she can reign.
It seems to me that her game plan has always been to gain some following and establish her own skincare line. It’s really hard to be a “YouTube dermatologist” because just how many faq videos can you make and show your skin care routine before you start running out of content? There are only two ways you can be successful. Start shilling products and/or become a lifestyle vlogger like Dray. Or stick to dermatology only, gain viewers’ trust with minimal sponsorships and then start your line.

kittenteethz
Learner
Learner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by kittenteethz » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:18 pm

SamuelJ wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:47 am
I think Dr Bunting’s product line and skin care advice are all good and reasonable. I don’t know what guidelines exist in regards to professional standards in the UK, but I do feel she misrepresents herself somewhat. She is not a qualified dermatologist. She has done some dermatology training but not finished and is only registered with the GMC as a general doctor, not a specialist. Obviously she is knowledgeable in her chosen area, but not being forthcoming with qualifications is very misleading
Woah... really? This is honestly kind of crazy because she 100% represents herself as a dermatologist. I would like to see a licensed dermatologist in the UK weigh in here. It is fairly serious if she is calling herself a title she's not.

User avatar
Dandelion
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Posts: 4995
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:06 pm
Has thanked: 649 times
Been thanked: 687 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Dandelion » Wed May 01, 2019 12:56 am

yooguise wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:10 pm


Similarly, kudos for having slight asymmetry and natural teeth. I think she’s naturally pretty and neither wants nor needs to look like a completely different person. Mind you, she’s British. And it tends to be Americans who go for all the fake “enhancements”.
I was under the impression that she had a nose job which corrected the initial flaw, but left her with a slight asymmetry.

kittenteethz
Learner
Learner
Posts: 75
Joined: Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:22 pm
Has thanked: 8 times
Been thanked: 12 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by kittenteethz » Thu May 16, 2019 4:21 pm

I definitely get the sense that she overdoes chemical peels, micro needling and tretinoin. Her face isn't "flushed" as much as super uniformly red, with some normal skin under the eyes where you'd avoid applying a peel. Her skin is soooo raw and is always that way, you can even see it under her foundation. Her face is super red and her neck is white

brianv
Wallflower
Wallflower
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 22, 2019 7:09 pm
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by brianv » Wed May 22, 2019 7:13 pm

Her face is always super red.
spanish dictionary

User avatar
Rosie34567
Informer
Informer
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:15 pm
Has thanked: 516 times
Been thanked: 855 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by Rosie34567 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:54 am

She always stuck me as someone who wanted to be famous first, and a doctor second. And she overdoes the whole #girlboss thing. Her channel intro (I think she semi-recently stopped using it?) is embarrassingly reminiscent of the show "Sex and the City" with the whole walking in designer heels on the street and seductively looking into the camera, while the jingle plays. :roll:

She probably chose dermatology for vain reasons, rather than scientific/medical reasons. If you look at her career, she's been on the TV show "Extreme Beauty Disasters" and she was also the brand ambassador for Dolce & Gabbana skincare...which seems like no self-respecting Derm would do, because (even though the products are expensive), they are filled with bad ingredients and fragrance. Also the docs that are willing to go on TV shows are usually a little sketchy to some extent (as the smart/accomplished docs are usually busy...actually practicing medicine and seeing patients). I think she became a doctor for the whole ego-boost factor/marketability factor, rather than a genuine interest in science and medicine.

Dr. Emma seems like the brains and more down-to-earth one. If I was going to shell out hundreds of pounds, I'd see her over Sam.

bengalibella
Learner
Learner
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:00 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 20 times

Re: Sam Bunting

Post by bengalibella » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:20 am

I like her no nonsense, minimal product approach to skincare. (Not trying to blog everything and anything under the sun unlike some glorified counter girl/s or women *coughs*)

Yeah she does do her best to portray a very glamorous image (which is clear its not the world she's been brought up in.)

Post Reply

Return to “Adored Bloggers”