Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Re: Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

Post by Squishypotato » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am

^Another blazer video? Havent watched but will catch up on my commute this week lol.
I think those are great suggestions @2xblended. Hopefully she (or her management) catch wind of them....who knows we may see some of your suggestions implemented! They would be much easier for her to do (and less of an ask) than say, showing us non shopping related content e.g. hobbies, lifestyle etc as others have suggested.

2xblended
Informer
Informer

Post by 2xblended » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 am

Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am
^Another blazer video? Havent watched but will catch up on my commute this week lol.
I think those are great suggestions @2xblended. Hopefully she (or her management) catch wind of them....who knows we may see some of your suggestions implemented! They would be much easier for her to do (and less of an ask) than say, showing us non shopping related content e.g. hobbies, lifestyle etc as others have suggested.
Yep: My Autumn Winter Blazer Wardrobe. You can't make this stuff up :rofl:

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:58 am

2xblended wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:47 am
Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:18 am
Yep: My Autumn Winter Blazer Wardrobe. You can't make this stuff up :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The time is also ripe for another "so you guys have been asking for an updated denim collection" video
LOL at the thumbnail, the pictures on either side are near identical, except I'm sure the jeans will have some unnoticeable. but ESSENTIAL difference!*

*I'm being facetious, but also, this probably wouldn't be too far off the mark

2xblended
Informer
Informer

Post by 2xblended » Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:22 am

:rofl:
Well, if anyone could create 20 minute!!! videos about near identical blazers and jeans, it would be our Emma! :rofl:
And of course, the bi-annual wardrobe switch over is due! She actually said in this video that it's almost time for that closet clearout/ switch over video. It's riveting content. Really! :P
I swear she's just recycling the same content every 3 months or so and hoping nobody will notice. I don't know how she isn't bored to tears!

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:07 am

Placing bets on a 'my fall and winter jumper collection'.

melindagomez
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by melindagomez » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:34 am

The blazer video killed me. We all know she likes a big shapeless oversized blazer. Seeing so many variations of the same thing made me realize, there are so many different styles of blazers out there. I have one that is cropped, one that is fitted, one that is double-breasted with big gold buttons etc. Emma has found the same exact blazer from 10 different companies with slightly different patterns. Branch out with your silhouette one time maybe.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:27 pm

Screenshot_20190910-091808_Instagram.jpg
This comment perplexed me. I think it was an entirely expected comment, given that the M&S IGTV was about tailoring, and in it she did talk about work wear and changing up the footwear with pumps etc.
It may not have been her choice to film the whole segment wearing her outfit of sneakers, oversized tee and cropped pants (who are we kidding that's her uniform personal style) but she could have just said something neutral like thanks for the suggestion, or check out my other videos for work wear styling etc..
(pretty sure she has done a video on that).

She seems to have been nicer (nice-ish!less snippy) in IG comments recently so I found this a bit snarky.
Maybe I'm just nitpicking. Haha.

Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

2xblended
Informer
Informer

Post by 2xblended » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:29 pm

It's a polite reply, really, but it's unnecessary- which, perhaps, is why it seems snarky to you.
She should have just said "Thanks, I'll make sure to include different footwear in my next video". That would have been just as easy as justifying her choice to wear trainers.
And she certainly owns plenty of other styles of shoes! I recall her last closet clear out she had boxes filled with shoes, as well as shelves filled with shoes. No reason she can't wear some of them whilst filming, particularly if her followers would find it helpful. That is her job after all, styling outfits to 'inspire' people in the real world.
Which makes it all the more laughable that she wears this uniform all the time; how are you a style blogger and influencer when you literally can't come up with an outfit outside of that uniform?

meowmeowbeans
Learner
Learner

Post by meowmeowbeans » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:15 pm

Guys, guys: it's not a uniform, it's a signature style. Anytime anyone wears jeans, a t-shirt, and a blazer, they owe it to her, because #emmahillmademedoit. :roll:

sellbydate
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by sellbydate » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:18 am

I think she's actually pretty insecure when it comes to styling clothes. I think she buys stuff that she thinks she's going to wear or make work and then doesn't because it's not her usual jeans/t-shirt/blazer yawn-fest. That's why for me she fundamentally fails at being a style blogger: she doesn't actually know how to make things look good or how to branch out of her very basic outfit formula. She just copies what other, more stylish people put forward; left to her own devices she wouldn't have a clue.

Her fanbase also seems to be largely (at least judging by her youtube comments) middle-aged women befuddled by the fashion of the day, who are grateful they have found someone who is accessible and somewhat easy to emulate. And there's nothing wrong with that - it's a niche she has found - but I don't think it quite reflects who Emma thinks she is or wants to be. It's def not on-trend-fashion blogger, more like on trend for people who don't know what on trend is and who aren't really ambitious to dig more into it.

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:10 am

2xblended wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:21 am
Today's blazer video sums up Emma as a person. The same old tripe, day in, day out. Her content is the epitome of the adage 'Money for old rope'.

I don't think she has a shopping addiction, though I can understand why so many of you seem to think so. I think faceface (post above)is more accurate in saying Emma would have zero content if she didn't shop. I also strongly believe that many people really do participate in 'retail therapy' to deal with stress in their lives. I've done it in the past but know better now.

I said this in the Sarah's Day thread a while ago but I still strongly believe in it. Influencers need to stop accepting PR gifts. Part of Emma's abundance comes in the form of #gifted items, but she's not obligated to accept these items. She could stipulate to brands that she doesn't want to be sent PR items until she researches the brand/product and is sure that this is in line with her messaging.
To be fair to Emma (unlike Sarah's Day), she does seem to accept items that are true to her style and channel theme, rather than just accepting anything and everything. However, she could still practice being selective from this point on, particularly as she's pushing this 'sustainability' drive.

She could literally say to brands, 'I'll showcase your latest collection but I will not be keeping any of it'. She could then disclose at the top of her videos that she will not be keeping the items she's showing as she already owns too much, but is showcasing them in case viewers would like to purchase and want her informed opinion on quality/ styling options etc. Bonus points if she were to return the items in-store instead of shipping them halfway around the world. Alternatively, if she were to donate all the gifted items to something like 'Dress for Success' where her blazers would be perfect for those returning to the job market, it would really be paying it forward and would set an excellent example to her followers.

She'd gain a lot more clout for her sustainability efforts that way and she'd reduce the ridiculous influx of items cluttering up her home! I think her followers would respect her a hell of a lot more if she were to declare she's going on a no-buy but will continue to film as per her usual schedule just to keep everyone informed on 'this season's must-have items'.

I suggest this as an easier alternative to branching out and expanding her channel beyond what it currently is, because, aside from her botox experience, I can't see Emma trying out anything new. She seems content in her rather small bubble. So, this would be a happy medium between doing what she's comfortable doing and continually, needlessly, irritatingly adding more stuff her life just because.
I feel like she did have maybe one haul like that, items were on loan and she claimed when she's do future fast fashion hauls she'd be donating clothes to women's shelters or whatever but nothing came of it

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:02 am

Hold on...did she actually buy ANOTHER bag???

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface » Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:38 am

I can not believe this, she actually says 'I know I went a little bit leather coat crazy in the second hand haul but no this is not another leather coat, this is a leather blazer...'

This is a joke, right?

Oh and the item in question is not good: it looks cheap and too small.

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:02 am

Was half this vlog about her dog's eye drops? Why would we care? That leather blazer does look like garbage, and we do not need to see your wardrobe switch over, updates about what you are getting rid of seems reasonable esp when people maybe want to know what is in and what is out for the season but does that really apply to Emma? She's always in the same thing

I do appreciate her carbon foot print website mention , eventhough some of her ideas and views on sustainability (ie cotton is better, when actually it is also very taxing on the ecosystem just in a different manner) a bit flawed. And at least she kind of sticks to not travelling much unlike a lot of influencers who are always flying to crazy places.

meowmeowbeans
Learner
Learner

Post by meowmeowbeans » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am

True, Emma doesn't travel as much as other influencers, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's because she's concerned about her carbon footprint.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm

meowmeowbeans wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am
True, Emma doesn't travel as much as other influencers, but let's not kid ourselves into thinking it's because she's concerned about her carbon footprint.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:30 pm

Squishypotato wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:08 pm
meowmeowbeans wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:04 am
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I hope she’s also doing some carbon offsetting for that Amazon Prime she loves so much.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm

Ok so she posted on Stories that she has a massive pimple on her chin, (which does look painful, I do feel for her) probably to do with her cycle, out of her control.

But in the stories just before that, she showed her little dogs licking her face and touching her face with their paws! Now, I love dogs myself, but would very much avoid having them lick or touch my face (I try not to touch my face unless I've washed my hands!). Think of all the possible places dogs paws and tongues have been, even the cleanest indoor pets.

Not saying that it caused her breakout, but it just doesn't seem hygienic (in my opinion).

kas85
Learner
Learner
Has thanked: 0

Post by kas85 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:31 am

I can’t stand the constant face pulling and gurning. Why has she recently started doing this?! It feels so forced

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meowmeowbeans
Learner
Learner

Post by meowmeowbeans » Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:50 am

To address the dog-licking situation: I totally hear you. Dogs are by nature very gross (so are cats). But as a lifetime dog lover and observer of other dog parents, it'll be a cold day in hell before you can convince a dog mom/dad to not let their beloved doggie child give them kisses (my own bf lets his dog stick her tongue up his nose, so I KNOW from first-hand experience!). It's just part of the cognitive dissonance of having pets. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And YES, what is with all the weird faces she's been making on her IG stories? It's so grotesque and unpleasant to watch. Does she think it makes her relatable??

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:59 pm

Squishypotato wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:44 pm
Ok so she posted on Stories that she has a massive pimple on her chin, (which does look painful, I do feel for her) probably to do with her cycle, out of her control.

But in the stories just before that, she showed her little dogs licking her face and touching her face with their paws! Now, I love dogs myself, but would very much avoid having them lick or touch my face (I try not to touch my face unless I've washed my hands!). Think of all the possible places dogs paws and tongues have been, even the cleanest indoor pets.

Not saying that it caused her breakout, but it just doesn't seem hygienic (in my opinion).
Right?! So gross. I don't let people touch my face, and I only touch my face if I have just washed my hands and am applying skincare. Dogs will eat other dogs poop! Blech

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:27 pm

So unintentional double post, but I just watched fleur de forces re haul Pts one and two. And honestly I feel like she's going about shopping less a lot better than Emma is. She talked about how for the whole year she's going to focus on buying less, buying things second hand when she does, and if not really thinking about if it is something she needs or will get a lot of use out of, and not buying fast fashion. And honestly I really admire that, she's properly rich (not like Amelia rich but still her family has money and so do her friends) and she's still trying to not shop. She did a whole video about stuff she had mended or altered so she could wear it more. And she is a youtuber who really has relied a lot on hauls for the most part. Maybe Fleur feels more free to do it bc she doesn't need to work where as Emma is the breadwinner? Fleur isn't perfect and I've been un subscribed to her for a while now but I'm resubbing bc I actually need a positive influence of people not shopping in my life.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:25 pm

The face pulling is really off putting, the way she makes those crazy eyes and pulls her chin in, she just looks mental.

emmaemma
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by emmaemma » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:01 pm

Agree re the face pulling and dogs licking her face. Any time this happens on her stories or vlogs I skip past it, can’t deal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

aehn
Informer
Informer

Post by aehn » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:22 am

I would like and respect her a lot more if she didn´t try to be someone she is not.

She isn´t a sustainable blogger/vlogger/ person!

It is a trend among plenty of vloggers to show their sustainable lifestyle. Sponsorships for these eco friendly brands come up and Emma thaught this is also her "niche".

Now it is too late to go back and she has to continue to pretend living and shopping sustainable - which clearly correlates with her usual way of living/shopping. Sustainable fashion means to shop as little as possible and not to buy a few designer pieces each month (instead of a huge highstreet haul per week).

It backfired and Emma isn´t a pro in taking criticism well. So she now has to continuously prove how sustainable she really is by shopping :-)(designer, better quality more wear out of the piece, second-hand etc.).

When trying to be someone you´re clearly not it never works out in the long run.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”