Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

oliviaflowers
Wanderer
Wanderer

Re: Emma "everything is going down" Hill Rant Thread #2

Post by oliviaflowers » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:40 pm

ugh don't even get me started abt her. at first emma was actually relatable to us teenagers but after she moved to LA she became a fame whore and became insanely boring and her ego completely changed. i get that having such a large audience and a lot of money at such a young age can do that, but she could have easily prevented herself from becoming a mess. she thinks being tired all of the time and drinking coffee is a personality trait, and it isn't cute anymore. not to mention that she was apparently a mean girl in high school.

meowmeowbeans
Learner
Learner

Post by meowmeowbeans » Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:48 pm

The problem with her decision to go darker is that it often allows for/needs richer elements for it to look right, like varied textures, pattern, interesting furniture and artwork, none of which Emma is capable of pulling together. Her blandness only works right now thanks to the lighter color palette (because "minimalism"), but it's going to look flat and boring as hell with darker colors.

melindagomez
Talker
Talker

Post by melindagomez » Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:59 pm

I think her saying they renovated their wardrobe is not accurate. A refresh is more like it. Didn't they just paint it and put on some new knobs?

2xblended
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 2xblended » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:51 am

Would have been far better if they'd actually expanded the wardrobes by removing the shelves to the side of her wardrobe that she puts her shoes on, and using that space for more rails/shelves/chest of drawers. She needs more closet space to house all her stuff since she's not going to slow down on buying "sustainably". :roll:
Or they could have restructured the interior to make it more functional somehow.
Like everyone has said, this was a lot of work to accomplish nothing more than a little face lift.

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 am

Every time she or other YouTubers share their wardrobe organization I mostly just feel sick. She even said "this looks like a shop" in regards to her jeans and about how happy it made her. That means you have too many jeans!!!

Their room looks so much darker just from the wardrobe and the inside it is not easy to see anything bc it is so dark. Also I remember her managing to do more stuff herself before, why does she need Simon to put her baskets up? Didn't she put them up herself the first time?

melindagomez
Talker
Talker

Post by melindagomez » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:58 am

Personally I was fine with their white, mirrored dresser bedroom. Their art game is weak but also these are the people who decorate with cheesy Disney crap so anything better than that gets a pat on the head. As many said they are just bored/need content. This reno is about as good as her marathon “training” aka walking 26 miles.

2xblended
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 2xblended » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:08 pm

drasticactions wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 am
Every time she or other YouTubers share their wardrobe organization I mostly just feel sick. She even said "this looks like a shop" in regards to her jeans and about how happy it made her. That means you have too many jeans!!!

Their room looks so much darker just from the wardrobe and the inside it is not easy to see anything bc it is so dark. Also I remember her managing to do more stuff herself before, why does she need Simon to put her baskets up? Didn't she put them up herself the first time?
Oddly, I remember that Simon put the baskets up previously. In one of her many closet clear out videos, she had Simon add an additional basket, which is why I remember this specifically. At the time I distinctly remember thinking 'you have too many sunglasses if 3 baskets aren't enough!' Who needs that many pairs of sunglasses?

And yeah, that 'shop' comment made me squirm. Your home is not a retail space! I like things to be neat and organized, so I get what she's saying, but there's no way she's using those ~30 pairs of jeans. Nobody can use that many at once! They'd each be used 1.5 weeks out of the year? Come on!

If they stopped here, the room would be okay. But it looks like they're going dark all over! That room is not going to be warm and cozy as she imagines, it's going to be depressing.

meowmeowbeans
Learner
Learner

Post by meowmeowbeans » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:40 pm

drasticactions wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 am
It's totally crazy, not only in the sheer number of items, but the fact that it all looks the same! Barely any differentiation in color or texture, and the only patterns being basic stripes or micro-variations of houndstooth. Even bloggers with stripped-down capsule wardrobes show more variety. It's just hanger after hanger of identical pieces, and don't forget there's a whole other closet in the spare room that houses the rest of her crap.

PS: I always cringe when I see sweaters on a hanger because they look like they'll get all stretched out. Hers are crammed together so tight too, it just shows how much she values her clothes.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 am

She posted IG stories of swatches of a F&B paint and the colour matched Valspar for their bedroom walls.... except the F&B appears almost identical to the current grey Dulux on the wall next to it. It isn't really sustainable to redo things just for the sake of it, especially if she's going to pick near identical colours! Although judging from her wardrobe, this really shouldnt come as a surprise.

2xblended
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 2xblended » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:16 pm

Squishypotato wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 am
She posted IG stories of swatches of a F&B paint and the colour matched Valspar for their bedroom walls.... except the F&B appears almost identical to the current grey Dulux on the wall next to it. It isn't really sustainable to redo things just for the sake of it, especially if she's going to pick near identical colours! Although judging from her wardrobe, this really shouldnt come as a surprise.
:rofl:

I think it's fair to say that Emma has no actual understanding of the sustainability movement, nor the greater scope and environmental impact that our every decision has on our planet.
She's proliferating incorrect information and greenwashing at this point. It's an absolute shame because she could be one of the drivers of an actually sustainable lifestyle if she bothered to learn more about it, but she's not interested. She took on the sustainable label to differentiate herself from other influenzas, and she is misusing it and misrepresenting the movement now. I feel like she's actually causing more harm now, because she's encouraging the same fast-fashion mass-consumption behaviours but from brands who have 'sustainable' lines or via thrifting.
If you're still consuming unnecessarily to this degree, nothing you're doing is sustainable, ethical or reasonable. Change the behaviour.

melindagomez
Talker
Talker

Post by melindagomez » Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:53 pm

Yes, she has no clue about real sustainability and is just using it as feel good marketing for herself. No one needs 40 handbags, 80 pairs of jeans etc. second hand or not.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 pm

Dark grey looks lovely in a house when paired with either vibrant OR warm colours. But Emma does not do colour, not in her wardrobe and certainly not in her house. So after the renovation the house is still going to look bland...but a dark bland, as opposed to the present light beige bland .

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:45 am

Ugh of course farrow and ball paint looks diff than Valspar even when they match the color. The same color in eggshell, vs gloss vs semi gloss will all look slightly different. I'm sure water based paint takes pigment differently too (isn't FB water based?)

I didn't managed to make it through the video, but I hope she stains the bed instead of painting

Caesar44BC
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Caesar44BC » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:38 am

faceface wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:15 pm
Dark grey looks lovely in a house when paired with either vibrant OR warm colours. But Emma does not do colour, not in her wardrobe and certainly not in her house. So after the renovation the house is still going to look bland...but a dark bland, as opposed to the present light beige bland .
I personally really don't get these influencers and their obsession with painting walls into dark colours. Don't they realize it makes their houses look considerably smaller and darker? Lily Pebbles also painted her kitchen (i believe it was?) in Hague blue. Obviously to everyone their own taste and full disclosure I don't know anything about interior design, but I feel like they go for those dark colours because it is trendy now and in a year when something else is trendy they will jump on that bandwagon... I only can imagine how much time and money those 'renovations' cost and it baffles me that those influencers are able to do this. I would not have the time, energy or money to do those things. Not every year and probably not every five years!

melindagomez
Talker
Talker

Post by melindagomez » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:27 pm

I can see having an accent wall somewhere but not dark colors on all the walls.

Also, how many times does she visit Disney each year? Isn't Disney a huge polluter/the opposite of sustainable?

BrideOfFrankenstein
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrideOfFrankenstein » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 am

I'm sick and tired already of all the reno crap on her instastories and in her videos. Just stop. Also, who the hell does more than one video on the renovation of one room?? Honestly one reno video for every room she's going to do is way too much already imo.

Seems like she's become one of those people who always need some over the top project to do to keep them from completely falling apart mentally. She needs to find a (new) therapist instead of turning her house into a fucking dungeon (re: the colour scheme etc). And she'll probably do it all over again within the next two years anyway..

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:29 am

BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 am
I'm sick and tired already of all the reno crap on her instastories and in her videos. Just stop. Also, who the hell does more than one video on the renovation of one room?? Honestly one reno video for every room she's going to do is way too much already imo.

Seems like she's become one of those people who always need some over the top project to do to keep them from completely falling apart mentally. She needs to find a (new) therapist instead of turning her house into a fucking dungeon (re: the colour scheme etc). And she'll probably do it all over again within the next two years anyway..
What is with all of these YouTubers putting ceiling roses, paneling and chair rail in their houses? I like some chair rail but why put all the crown molding and what not in a house that isn't a period house? They have a very modern kitchen and bathroom why put a ceiling rose in?

I feel like she's always re doing something.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:09 pm

drasticactions wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:29 am
BrideOfFrankenstein wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:23 am

What is with all of these YouTubers putting ceiling roses, paneling and chair rail in their houses? I like some chair rail but why put all the crown molding and what not in a house that isn't a period house? They have a very modern kitchen and bathroom why put a ceiling rose in?

I feel like she's always re doing something.
Maybe she's aware of just how boring and repetitive the rest of her " fashun" content is.... Plus these are sure to get more views compared to her 156th sustainable blazer haul video lol.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:51 am

Sheesh does she even make fashion content anymore? It baffles me for how long they’ve been able to stretch out the bedroom “renovation” content. Plus they’re doing the basement, which seems far more interesting of a project - although they hired professionals for that one so I guess it’s not really content if it isn’t Emma DIY 🤷🏻‍♀️

meowmeowbeans
Learner
Learner

Post by meowmeowbeans » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 am

Emma's home content is not only boring, it's making me angry. Can someone tell me how, exactly, her bedroom counts as a "renovation"? It's literally new paint and furniture, plus it all looks pretty much the same as before, except with a big, honking, dark wardrobe that stands out like a sore thumb. The constant "touch ups" also seem like a result of poor planning. Sometimes surprises happen and you just have to do it over, but why would you rip out that stuff around the window AFTER painting the wall? And why not decide whether or not she wanted a dark electrical cord on the wall sconce BEFORE she spray painted it? Also, when I saw the sconce, I thought, "Oh, she's going to paint the whole thing black, that could look nice", but no, she went through a lot of trouble for the worst outcome. Where do you even get the idea to only paint half of it?? I wonder if Simon actually likes any of it, or he's just going along with it because there'll be hell to pay if Emma doesn't get exactly want she wants.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Oof that Disney x Gucci collection is a bore fest. They’re just phoning it in at these point with these collabs. And a 30+ year old man wearing Disney sneakers non-ironically?!

Is their room redo done yet? I’m ready for some bland fashion content again.

Sointothis
Learner
Learner

Post by Sointothis » Sat Jan 25, 2020 2:31 am

Yeah the mickey mouse sneakers. To each their own with what they are obsessed with but at some point its bizarre to me.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato » Sat Jan 25, 2020 6:54 pm

meowmeowbeans wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 am
Emma's home content is not only boring, it's making me angry. Can someone tell me how, exactly, her bedroom counts as a "renovation"? It's literally new paint and furniture, plus it all looks pretty much the same as before, except with a big, honking, dark wardrobe that stands out like a sore thumb. The constant "touch ups" also seem like a result of poor planning. Sometimes surprises happen and you just have to do it over, but why would you rip out that stuff around the window AFTER painting the wall? And why not decide whether or not she wanted a dark electrical cord on the wall sconce BEFORE she spray painted it? Also, when I saw the sconce, I thought, "Oh, she's going to paint the whole thing black, that could look nice", but no, she went through a lot of trouble for the worst outcome. Where do you even get the idea to only paint half of it??
I also get the vibe that they haven't exactly planned things very well but were in a hurry to start redoing everything. I think she mentioned wanting to replace the bedroom door and doorframe as well (maybe in an earlier vlog?)..why wouldnt you do all of that at once before painting and doing the finishing touches?
And putting up those too long curtains from Ikea ('purely decorative')...why? I mean, if you're going to do something, why not try and make it functional? It just seems like she's doing so many things for aesthetics.

I fully understand and support DIY efforts, hacks and doing things on a budget. However, some things like spraying those bedside lamps, then needing to re-wire them, then being unsure about the safety of giant glass lampshade..I'm sure there are ways to get things that better match their needs (without needing 5 different hacks) and worrying that its going to come crashing down. It comes across as rushed and poorly considered.. i know i wouldn't mind paying a bit more to get exactly what i wanted, and to hire an electrician to safely fit my lamp.
It really isn't like they lack the means to do this, case in point: Mickey mouse sneakers.

drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by drasticactions » Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:03 am

she spends the video complaining about her cold! For goodness sake 1 it is just a cold, most of us have to commute and go to actual work with a cold. 2 no one said you had to start demo while unwell! I like greens but those paint colors are too dark for such a small space.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:46 pm

So the F&B paint she so desperately wanted (despite complaining constantly about the higher price point) turned out to be a bad decision. And now they have also messed up assembling a simple Ikea Pax? I am not sure why they think this is entertaining for the viewer, a couple of 30somethings being bad at DIY (although I suspect Simon is the handier one of the two). And the DIY is not even special, it is just bland painting and assembling stuff. The only entertainment value in this for me is the simple confirmation they have run out of content.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”