Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post Reply
Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:46 am
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Poopettemetis » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:18 am


User avatar
drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 3287 times
Been thanked: 675 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by drasticactions » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:49 am

cloudydelete23 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:16 am
I do think she could have padded out the vlog a bit more. Showing the "behind the scenes" of the photoshoot, is it awkward to pose in crowded areas etc, show a bit of the telly watching & snacks even. A lot of vloggers fill in the minutes showing food prep etc as it's easy content, and who knows an international audience may find these things interesting if they don't have such foods.
Right! Why would she assume we'd want to watch video of her and her dogs watching the game without seeing what was going on in the match. I just don't understand, like you said show us what snacks you have, tell us what you are working on, on your laptop, show a tiny bit of the match so we get an idea. No one want to look at your face while you react to something. So many bloggers do that instead of showing the beautiful scenery they show their face reacting to it, when no one cares.

User avatar
Guest

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:37 pm

drasticactions wrote:
cloudydelete23 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:16 am
I do think she could have padded out the vlog a bit more. Showing the "behind the scenes" of the photoshoot, is it awkward to pose in crowded areas etc, show a bit of the telly watching & snacks even. A lot of vloggers fill in the minutes showing food prep etc as it's easy content, and who knows an international audience may find these things interesting if they don't have such foods.
Right! Why would she assume we'd want to watch video of her and her dogs watching the game without seeing what was going on in the match. I just don't understand, like you said show us what snacks you have, tell us what you are working on, on your laptop, show a tiny bit of the match so we get an idea. No one want to look at your face while you react to something. So many bloggers do that instead of showing the beautiful scenery they show their face reacting to it, when no one cares.
Agree. A lot of vloggers sit in their room or car after the event and babble on about it, its not engaging at all!

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:46 am
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Poopettemetis » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:34 am


faceface
Talker
Talker
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:26 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by faceface » Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:53 pm

She is going to a wedding and shows three outfit options. All of them blah and making her look awful. I have seen her in SO many other dresses on her Instagram in the past that are much much nicer. And the hair...oh dear. I really wish she would go back to a more natural colour.

faceface
Talker
Talker
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:26 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by faceface » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am

She should go back to this: much better colour and length.


hanaemii
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Posts: 2115
Joined: Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:49 pm
Has thanked: 1124 times
Been thanked: 457 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by hanaemii » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:33 am

faceface wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am
She should go back to this: much better colour and length.

wow couldn't even recognise her in this photo.. :?

faceface
Talker
Talker
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:26 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by faceface » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:39 am

hanaemii wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:33 am
faceface wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:00 am
She should go back to this: much better colour and length.

wow couldn't even recognise her in this photo.. :?
...and that photo is from November 2018, so not like ages ago. The change is really obvious.

User avatar
PowderGirl
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Posts: 1116
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:13 pm
Location: Germany
Has thanked: 750 times
Been thanked: 576 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by PowderGirl » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am

But maybe please keep the eyebrows in November 2018, where they belong.

faceface
Talker
Talker
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:26 am
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 182 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by faceface » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 am

PowderGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am
But maybe please keep the eyebrows in November 2018, where they belong.
Lol she still sort of has them though, at least on July 9th she did:


Squishypotato
Debater
Debater
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 688 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Squishypotato » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am

faceface wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:53 pm
She is going to a wedding and shows three outfit options. All of them blah and making her look awful. I have seen her in SO many other dresses on her Instagram in the past that are much much nicer. And the hair...oh dear. I really wish she would go back to a more natural colour.
Agreed! She has sooo many clothes, not to mention gifted/collab items and this is what she came up with? The 2nd green Warehouse dress is especially heinous. It looks so poorly made. (also, combination of too many design elements, but that's just my opinion) Also while I understand "it's about being comfortable" and "it's about people being together and less about the outfits"...it's a SUMMER WEDDING for crying out loud. You'd think being a fashion blogger she'd be able to at least put together a lighter, more summery wedding guest outfit! That's got to be fashion 101, every website I've been on in the last few months has had a "wedding guest" edit and none of them have looked this gloomy and funereal.
I couldn't finish watching it, because like a lot of her videos lately, I've just found the waffling terribly boring- the entire thing could have been edited to a 6 minute lookbook, and she'd still have fulfilled her 2 video quota for the week.

Re: eyebrows- also gifted, therefore here to stay!

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:46 am
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Poopettemetis » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:26 am

Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am
faceface wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:53 pm
She is going to a wedding and shows three outfit options. All of them blah and making her look awful. I have seen her in SO many other dresses on her Instagram in the past that are much much nicer. And the hair...oh dear. I really wish she would go back to a more natural colour.
Agreed! She has sooo many clothes, not to mention gifted/collab items and this is what she came up with? The 2nd green Warehouse dress is especially heinous. It looks so poorly made. (also, combination of too many design elements, but that's just my opinion) Also while I understand "it's about being comfortable" and "it's about people being together and less about the outfits"...it's a SUMMER WEDDING for crying out loud. You'd think being a fashion blogger she'd be able to at least put together a lighter, more summery wedding guest outfit! That's got to be fashion 101, every website I've been on in the last few months has had a "wedding guest" edit and none of them have looked this gloomy and funereal.
I couldn't finish watching it, because like a lot of her videos lately, I've just found the waffling terribly boring- the entire thing could have been edited to a 6 minute lookbook, and she'd still have fulfilled her 2 video quota for the week.

Re: eyebrows- also gifted, therefore here to stay!
That green dress was tragic and def not barn summer wedding appropriate. Satin is a really unforgiving fabric, maybe if she had sized up it wouldn’t have looked like the seams were pulling so much.

Agree with all y’all! All those cute dresses she has and these were the ones she chose to demo?!?

User avatar
Guest

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:34 am

Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am
faceface wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:53 pm
She is going to a wedding and shows three outfit options. All of them blah and making her look awful. I have seen her in SO many other dresses on her Instagram in the past that are much much nicer. And the hair...oh dear. I really wish she would go back to a more natural colour.
Agreed! She has sooo many clothes, not to mention gifted/collab items and this is what she came up with? The 2nd green Warehouse dress is especially heinous. It looks so poorly made. (also, combination of too many design elements, but that's just my opinion) Also while I understand "it's about being comfortable" and "it's about people being together and less about the outfits"...it's a SUMMER WEDDING for crying out loud. You'd think being a fashion blogger she'd be able to at least put together a lighter, more summery wedding guest outfit! That's got to be fashion 101, every website I've been on in the last few months has had a "wedding guest" edit and none of them have looked this gloomy and funereal.
I couldn't finish watching it, because like a lot of her videos lately, I've just found the waffling terribly boring- the entire thing could have been edited to a 6 minute lookbook, and she'd still have fulfilled her 2 video quota for the week.

Re: eyebrows- also gifted, therefore here to stay!
I thought the first dress with the espadrilles was pretty nice.

2xblended
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:39 am
Has thanked: 2781 times
Been thanked: 2671 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by 2xblended » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 am

Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am
I couldn't finish watching it, because like a lot of her videos lately, I've just found the waffling terribly boring- the entire thing could have been edited to a 6 minute lookbook, and she'd still have fulfilled her 2 video quota for the week.
I'm annoyed with myself for not realizing this sooner, as I also noted her last vlog being ridiculously long in duration yet short on actual content, but it's obvious now that she's extending her videos in order to maximize income from them.
I only learned recently about the fact that YTers earn by length of video rather than number of views, because the longer the videos the more ads they can fit into them, iirc.
So, Emma is doing what Sarah's_day has been doing for ages- having most videos go on for ages longer than anyone would find reasonable, just to earn more money out of less work.
I'd understand if she had 18 minutes worth of content for this video- her closet clear out videos are stupidly long but at least she's showing herself going through each bit of the closet and filling that time, but here it was 18 minutes over 3 freaking dresses. Beyond boring and she clearly waffled on and on just to make the video as long as possible. I'm sure most people didn't bother watching all the way through.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 688 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Squishypotato » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm

2xblended wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:07 am
Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:18 am
I couldn't finish watching it, because like a lot of her videos lately, I've just found the waffling terribly boring- the entire thing could have been edited to a 6 minute lookbook, and she'd still have fulfilled her 2 video quota for the week.
I'm annoyed with myself for not realizing this sooner, as I also noted her last vlog being ridiculously long in duration yet short on actual content, but it's obvious now that she's extending her videos in order to maximize income from them.
I only learned recently about the fact that YTers earn by length of video rather than number of views, because the longer the videos the more ads they can fit into them, iirc.
So, Emma is doing what Sarah's_day has been doing for ages- having most videos go on for ages longer than anyone would find reasonable, just to earn more money out of less work.
I'd understand if she had 18 minutes worth of content for this video- her closet clear out videos are stupidly long but at least she's showing herself going through each bit of the closet and filling that time, but here it was 18 minutes over 3 freaking dresses. Beyond boring and she clearly waffled on and on just to make the video as long as possible. I'm sure most people didn't bother watching all the way through.
I've started watching YT videos via invidio.us , which I heard about from LEM's thread. It only takes about 30 seconds of watching a YT video for it to count as a view, and if you observe, a lot of videos do a recap/intro segment that often takes up to a minute (not just Emma's, rather in general).

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 688 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Squishypotato » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:47 pm

Don't get me wrong, I generally watch regular YT especially for smaller channels who actually do need the views and engagement. I reserve my stealth watching for those who come off as greedy, try and mislead viewers etc. I do understand that this is a revenue stream for them, but when it is blatantly padded out as 2xblended pointed out above, it just annoys me.
There is an Aussie IGer who posted an affiliate link to some Uniqlo items, and commented that her followers had been waiting until her affiliate links were up before buying as they wanted her to get a commission. Wow, those are some loyal followers!

2xblended
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:39 am
Has thanked: 2781 times
Been thanked: 2671 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by 2xblended » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Squishypotato wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:24 pm
I've started watching YT videos via invidio.us , which I heard about from LEM's thread. It only takes about 30 seconds of watching a YT video for it to count as a view, and if you observe, a lot of videos do a recap/intro segment that often takes up to a minute (not just Emma's, rather in general).
I read that invidio.us still gives the video view counts and therefore some income to the YTer, since the site has to request permission from YouTube to stream the video.
I wish I could remember where I got that info- it may have been on LEMs thread as well or else it was something I got off of Reddit.

But invidio.us or a regular ad blocker (like Ghostery) does remove the mid-video ads, so at least that protects viewers from being complicit when influenzas are surreptitiously extending the length of their videos beyond a reasonable time frame just to monetize them further.
Making an overly long video just to fit in as many adverts as you can is beyond insulting, because they already have so many income streams off of each video and collab, and across so many social media platforms, that it is truly unnecessary to waffle on for 45 minutes (another reference to Sarah's Day) as though your viewers have nothing else to do with their lives but listen to you talk about how tired you are or whatever.
Meanwhile the stans are in the comments saying 'Yay! Love the longer videos', completely oblivious to the reason their guru is actually making them longer. :roll:
/rant

Also, completely concur with your point about supporting smaller channels and more authentic youtubers, it is only the gurus who abuse the system and scam their loyal following I take issue with.

User avatar
Guest

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Guest » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:51 pm

At first didn't youtube have some short time limit, like 5 or 10 minutes? Thinking back to the early days of Nerimon etc. This was before videos could be monitised though, maybe it still continued after the introduction of adsense maybe. Looking back it was more of a video sharing & community site, than just another platform to exploit for an income source & free shit. i guess, at the end of the day, youtube has drastically changed, affiliate links, adverts, sponsorships are the norm and along with waffling to drag things out (Safiyah), a boring lazy way to bump up the pennies. Each to their own, but wow have things changed from the early days when the idea was both content creator and viewer were "youtubers" and people used to do little meet ups themselves.

User avatar
drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 3287 times
Been thanked: 675 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by drasticactions » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am

faceface wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 am
PowderGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am
But maybe please keep the eyebrows in November 2018, where they belong.
Lol she still sort of has them though, at least on July 9th she did:

I can't believe her brow tattoo person thinks those are ok brows. They are so comically huge and dark. (hey look like they are drawn on with sharpie! Even if they were lighter in color they are just so big for her face.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer
Posts: 322
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2018 7:46 am
Has thanked: 257 times
Been thanked: 563 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Poopettemetis » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:52 pm

drasticactions wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:16 am
faceface wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:16 am
PowderGirl wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:01 am
But maybe please keep the eyebrows in November 2018, where they belong.
Lol she still sort of has them though, at least on July 9th she did:

I can't believe her brow tattoo person thinks those are ok brows. They are so comically huge and dark. (hey look like they are drawn on with sharpie! Even if they were lighter in color they are just so big for her face.
I think they look bad because her horrible straw blond hair makes them look worse than they may be. They are no Anna Edit brows...thank god. Though they do look way too dark and...severe. In one of her recent vlogs they looked kind of splotchy. Like the front bits were really sparse and sperm-y. I wonder what they look like in real life.

User avatar
drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 3287 times
Been thanked: 675 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by drasticactions » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 am

Watching her new vlog, I find it weird she goes on about not buying anything plastic (being annoyed how method comes in plastic, and honestly thats prob best for cleaning stuff you don't want the bottles degrading and leaking all over your house and glass is not practical for cleaning solutions) But then she buys all these clothes and is always re doing the house and creating waste in other ways. Changing the couch after a year. I get with dogs they probably needed a new rug but a lot of rugs are synthetic materials, and are essentially plastic. I don't have a problem with people trying to do better for the environment but when she gets all preachy about it and then does other wasteful things (a shoe haul, looking for a new couch etc) it really annoys me.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:46 pm
Has thanked: 276 times
Been thanked: 688 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Squishypotato » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:55 am

drasticactions wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:28 am
Watching her new vlog, I find it weird she goes on about not buying anything plastic (being annoyed how method comes in plastic, and honestly thats prob best for cleaning stuff you don't want the bottles degrading and leaking all over your house and glass is not practical for cleaning solutions) But then she buys all these clothes and is always re doing the house and creating waste in other ways. Changing the couch after a year. I get with dogs they probably needed a new rug but a lot of rugs are synthetic materials, and are essentially plastic. I don't have a problem with people trying to do better for the environment but when she gets all preachy about it and then does other wasteful things (a shoe haul, looking for a new couch etc) it really annoys me.
I know!that's exactly what I thought with the whole plastic business and then when she went on to talk about redoing the living room. When she started to talk about panelling I got such LEM vibes!! I get wanting to change things up a bit, but that couch is literally a yr old, the last couch they had was grey/black and now she's just going to buy another grey one. (Although to be fair she is far less beggy than LEM,at least not blatantly so)

She's bought/replaced so many things that were probably in pretty good condition, for aesthetic reasons because shes a "YouTuber".

She had that la redoute rug in 2 sizes before getting this latest one.. got a new round table for the kitchen with a custom top and stand ordered from Alibaba (super sustainable)..and if you go back to earlier home tours,she had a round table there, but changed the area into an indoor garden because they apparently never sat at that table! Going round and round in circles.

If she really wanted to preach about sustainability, she should just try CONSUMING less and buying less crap (she's "buying better" but still buying heaps of things she doesn't need!!!) . She needs to stop using "I need this for my job/ to create content" as an excuse. She has more than enough clothes, shoes, bags, THINGS to create ALL KINDS of content!

2xblended
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:39 am
Has thanked: 2781 times
Been thanked: 2671 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by 2xblended » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:37 am

^ this! She could do loads of videos of how she styles the same pieces in different ways, just from the sheer volume of stuff she owns, she'd never run out of new combos. Instead she just buys mOAr ~sustainable~ blazers, tees and jeans. :roll:
I've only just learnt that she does this with furnishings, too, and that really does indicate that her idea of sustainability runs on a superficial level. Hopefully she'll get more clued up as she grows and tries to improve her consumption habits. Her channel need not suffer as a result and may even grow and attract new viewers as her messaging evolves to become more responsible.

On another note, I was upset that she missed the wedding because she wasn't in a good head space. I so wish she had elaborated on that instead of just glossing over it. I wonder if her and Simon were arguing, which would be a simple thing to get over, or if it was a more serious episode of anxiety or depression that made her feel unable to leave the house and attend the wedding. :?

She's repeatedly hinting at anxiety and depression but not elaborating enough imho. I don't expect her to spill her guts out since it is such a sensitive topic but a little more insight could help any followers who may be suffering from the same. Having that conversation with followers could bring such comfort to her and also increase her engagement on her channel.
As she's currently handling it- hinting but not really disclosing- it would actually be better if she didn't include that information at all! Nobody would notice she was struggling given that it really doesn't show in any other bits in her videos. She's the one drawing attention to it without any need to, yet is unwilling to disclose even the slightest about what it is she's dealing with.
I just don't see why she would not just exclude that entirely until the day she is ready to talk about it openly (should you ever wish to).

User avatar
Iris1969

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Iris1969 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:50 am

Her solution to her anxiety brought on by the thought of going to big social gatherings like weddings and blogger events seems to be to avoid going to those events altogether, but I don't think that is working for her at all, as it only seems to isolate her further into her little bubble with Simon and their dogs :?.

User avatar
drasticactions
Gossiper
Gossiper
Posts: 740
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:25 pm
Has thanked: 3287 times
Been thanked: 675 times

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by drasticactions » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:11 am

Iris1969 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:50 am
Her solution to her anxiety brought on by the thought of going to big social gatherings like weddings and blogger events seems to be to avoid going to those events altogether, but I don't think that is working for her at all, as it only seems to isolate her further into her little bubble with Simon and their dogs :?.
I agree. Like I've said before when my anxiety/panic attacks get bad it is hard for me to leave the house. But even when I'm stressed or nervous about going to things like weddings (which I always am bc I can feel trapped or stuck there for hours) I still force myself to go and tell myself "if I'm miserable or feeling bad, I can always leave after the ceremony" or I just tell myself "just stay for another hour and if I'm still not feeling good I can leave then" sometimes you can trick yourself into managing things like that by giving yourself time frames. If after x min/hrs im still miserable I can leave. I think she's just making things worse by not leaving at all. Either that or maybe she and Simon are having wore problems than she's showing and they couldn't be in the same room together? That seems less likely to me

Post Reply

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”