Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Emma Hill Rant Thread #1

Post by Squishypotato »

Agree, her content is really getting repetitive.. blablabla wardrobe clear out, dogs, sustainable, vintage bags, buy more crap, anxious, sustainable, wardrobe clear out, *look at me trying to cook/bake*,dogs, love island. Repeat.

Also, I think it's likely some of the bags/other stuff she wants to sell will be done via a separate acct (depop, eBay etc). Lots of items are gifted,if not directly, then by vouchers/discount. She's already gotten flak in the past for selling some press samples (makeup I think), which was followed by lots of overcompensating explanation lol.
I'm not sure I believe that anyone would donate £500 shoes/bags to charity, just saying...

*nb, nothing wrong with having anxiety or talking about it, of course...but if it's clearly such a big issue for her I have no idea why she doesn't just take a proper break and focus on her health for a bit.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

Squishypotato wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:41 am
Agree, her content is really getting repetitive.. blablabla wardrobe clear out, dogs, sustainable, vintage bags, buy more crap, anxious, sustainable, wardrobe clear out, *look at me trying to cook/bake*,dogs, love island. Repeat.

Also, I think it's likely some of the bags/other stuff she wants to sell will be done via a separate acct (depop, eBay etc). Lots of items are gifted,if not directly, then by vouchers/discount. She's already gotten flak in the past for selling some press samples (makeup I think), which was followed by lots of overcompensating explanation lol.
I'm not sure I believe that anyone would donate £500 shoes/bags to charity, just saying...

*nb, nothing wrong with having anxiety or talking about it, of course...but if it's clearly such a big issue for her I have no idea why she doesn't just take a proper break and focus on her health for a bit.
I think the issue is that yes, she has some anxiety. Is it crippling and impacting her day-to-day life? Debatable. I think her aversion to blogger events is more because she thinks she's above these other women (and she just doesn't seem friendly) and less about her anxiety. Anxiety is just the de facto, convenient blogger excuse. She's still going to Bichester Village and Disneyland...if you have crippling anxiety, going to such crowded and noisy places can't be good for you. But I guess when stuff is free, you get over any issues you might have.

These bloggers can't take time off to focus on their health because they've put all their eggs in one basket, so instead of stopping the lucrative income / freebie stream, they go on and on about their anxiety instead of actively trying to manage it. Studies are showing that influencers and social media have negative impacts on mental health because it's literally about getting to that next high through likes and engagement.

gossipy locks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by gossipy locks »

Poopettemetis wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 am

I think the issue is that yes, she has some anxiety. Is it crippling and impacting her day-to-day life? Debatable. I think her aversion to blogger events is more because she thinks she's above these other women (and she just doesn't seem friendly) and less about her anxiety. Anxiety is just the de facto, convenient blogger excuse. She's still going to Bichester Village and Disneyland...if you have crippling anxiety, going to such crowded and noisy places can't be good for you. But I guess when stuff is free, you get over any issues you might have.

These bloggers can't take time off to focus on their health because they've put all their eggs in one basket, so instead of stopping the lucrative income / freebie stream, they go on and on about their anxiety instead of actively trying to manage it. Studies are showing that influencers and social media have negative impacts on mental health because it's literally about getting to that next high through likes and engagement.
I would argue that Emma feels inferior to her blogger peers and she gets overwhelmed by that at the events. She's not as pretty, not as fashionable, doesn't travel to as many chic places - she's literally holed herself up with Simon and their 5 dogs for the most part. Aside from her online interactions, she's pretty disconnected from the fashion/beauty blogger community. She also looks a lot older than the other bloggers at these events. A lot of other bloggers are better connected with brands and each other - Emma is like an outsider trying to join the cool kids club at these events. She's also very uptight so she can't just relax and be friendly despite being intimidated.

Iris1969

Post by Iris1969 »

gossipy locks wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:32 am
Poopettemetis wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 am

I would argue that Emma feels inferior to her blogger peers and she gets overwhelmed by that at the events. She's not as pretty, not as fashionable, doesn't travel to as many chic places - she's literally holed herself up with Simon and their 5 dogs for the most part. Aside from her online interactions, she's pretty disconnected from the fashion/beauty blogger community. She also looks a lot older than the other bloggers at these events. A lot of other bloggers are better connected with brands and each other - Emma is like an outsider trying to join the cool kids club at these events. She's also very uptight so she can't just relax and be friendly despite being intimidated.
I think she feels inferior and superior to the other bloggers at the same time. Inferior for all the reasons you stated, but superior as a coping mechanism by convincing herself that she is more mature, more down to earth and more concerned about the environment than all these shallow, vapid It-girls.

Chuchi
Informer
Informer

Post by Chuchi »

I haven't watch her videos since she came back from her break, but her last one autoplayed on my tv and I kept watching. I can't believe the amount of clothes she has, I know that british summers aren't super hot, but I don't think that her (or anyone really) need 40 different pants and 25 tick blazers for the 3 months of summer. She doesn't even have the time to wear them more than 3 times in the whole season. Her closet looks like a store, not the clothes that I normal person actually owns (I wear jeans almost everyday, I now have 8 for work/everyday and 3 destroyed/super baggy for weekends and 4 super thin ones that I have stored to wear on summer, I know that it's excessive). Also, I assume she would wear shorts and dresses at some point on some really hot day.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Chuchi wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:16 pm
I haven't watch her videos since she came back from her break, but her last one autoplayed on my tv and I kept watching. I can't believe the amount of clothes she has, I know that british summers aren't super hot, but I don't think that her (or anyone really) need 40 different pants and 25 tick blazers for the 3 months of summer. She doesn't even have the time to wear them more than 3 times in the whole season. Her closet looks like a store, not the clothes that I normal person actually owns (I wear jeans almost everyday, I now have 8 for work/everyday and 3 destroyed/super baggy for weekends and 4 super thin ones that I have stored to wear on summer, I know that it's excessive). Also, I assume she would wear shorts and dresses at some point on some really hot day.
Yeah! Someone commented on the video along the lines of "normal ppl don't need that many jeans" and she replied that she used to have twice as many (I guess that's better than being argumentative/defensive/patronising).. Then some other subbies went on about "what do you mean by normal" , lots of them have as many,she is a fashion blogger so that's why she needs that many etc etc...
I think someone even said that ppl don't call out make up artists for having a lot of makeup as it us their job...so that somehow justifies Emma having >10 pairs of semi identical jeans

LOL

Also as someone mentioned above- they are so driven by likes, engagement etc. I dunno if anyone else has noticed this, but it feels like since her "break"earlier this yr she has been posting more content (e.g on IG),but they feel somehow less organic/authentic than before.
Don't quite know how to pinpoint it, but it almost seems like overcompensating or trying to deflect from something.

That monkey emoji favoured by these influenzas just needs to go away already!

melindagomez
Informer
Informer

Post by melindagomez »

I mean, if she can spend (or is gifted) thousands and thousands of pounds on "vintage" bags from the internet (that are probably not authentic), she could maybe put some effort into being at one networking event.

faceface
Talker
Talker

Post by faceface »

Anxiety of course comes in many different shapes: I feel hers has to do with having to interact with people she does not know, and not so much with being in crowded spaces. Hence the fact she is fine in a amusement park with either Simon or a close friend. I have both actually, I do not like events were I am expected to mingle and make small talk, I get really anxious ( I have to point out I am also very much an introvert). If it is a crowded event it is even worse. I also can get anxious in places like crowded trainstations, airports etc. I am actually better off on my own then because I can then completely retract from what is happening around me.

In short, I am pretty sure there is something along the lines of anxiety going on, stemming from insecurity maybe. It is no fun to be honest and with her line of work it is really not the best to suffer from. I work from home, all my business is online and does not depend in any way on having to go to events, mingle or have live interactions. And while you could argue her business is also online, in a way it is not, fashion IS about getting out there, right? She does work with plenty of brands so my guess is she is really good though at one-on-one meetings with brand representatives. In which case I say, good for her.

But the vlogs are still boring as hell!

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Her reply just confounds me. Why respond to comments then, if you're just going to be obnoxious to people who are engaging with your content to make YOU money.

So basically, only positive fawning comments are allowed, and nobody is allowed to say anything remotely critical...or heaven forbid, ask her where an item is from, because as she's already said, everything is linked above.

She's also posting affiliate links in response to questions, and not tagging brands (swipe up for links guys!!!), which is such a grubby greedy thing to do.

There was also another IG comment somewhere,where someone said she should make her own line of ethical clothes/blazers.. and she gave a long answer and a "watch this space"

Omg if she really comes up with something like that I may die laughing from the hypocrisy.

Btw, is Warehouse *gifted* an ethical brand? Lol.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Poopettemetis
Informer
Informer

Post by Poopettemetis »

Squishypotato wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:33 pm
Her reply just confounds me. Why respond to comments then, if you're just going to be obnoxious to people who are engaging with your content to make YOU money.

So basically, only positive fawning comments are allowed, and nobody is allowed to say anything remotely critical...or heaven forbid, ask her where an item is from, because as she's already said, everything is linked above.

She's also posting affiliate links in response to questions, and not tagging brands (swipe up for links guys!!!), which is such a grubby greedy thing to do.

There was also another IG comment somewhere,where someone said she should make her own line of ethical clothes/blazers.. and she gave a long answer and a "watch this space"

Omg if she really comes up with something like that I may die laughing from the hypocrisy.

Btw, is Warehouse *gifted* an ethical brand? Lol.
They do the bare minimum - even H&M publishes their factory list, Warehouse does not. Their policies are also pretty vague. ((I work in corporate responsibility and sustainability in the apparel industry))

ga7ba
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by ga7ba »

“I like my page to be a positive place” says the grumpiest influencer ever

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

Is someone going to tell her that the "beachy waves" she does look horrible? Her hair needs to be a little longer and less blunt to pull it off. It just makes her too light too bleached hair look even more like straw

meowvelous
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by meowvelous »

drasticactions wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:54 pm
Is someone going to tell her that the "beachy waves" she does look horrible? Her hair needs to be a little longer and less blunt to pull it off. It just makes her too light too bleached hair look even more like straw
Agreed. The color, cut, and now style are just too outdated and not in a cool vintage way.

emmaemma
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by emmaemma »

drasticactions wrote:Is someone going to tell her that the "beachy waves" she does look horrible? Her hair needs to be a little longer and less blunt to pull it off. It just makes her too light too bleached hair look even more like straw
Yes. She so needs some layers and depth in that hair, it’s got potential but is just way to stark of a blonde and way too blunt at the moment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

All her haircuts and colour are complimentary/gifted...
there was a vlog or post last year where she was really upset about the outcome..But continues to go,because #free.
Her hair looked much healthier and so much better a couple of years ago (long, brunette, darker blonde,shoulder length...anything other than the current dry straw aesthetic she's going for)

I actually used to quite like her and enjoyed her videos and style, even Simon and the dogs!she seemed genuine and looked like she actually enjoyed producing her content.
It's really only been in the last year or so that she's become a bit too sanctimonious for me, but mostly...boring!

melindagomez
Informer
Informer

Post by melindagomez »

Her hair is so bad. She looked so much better as a brunette. It’s like if Emilia Clarke really tried to be blonde instead of wigs, for some people it just can’t happen.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

Latest vlog...moan about tradespeople in the house (doing necessary work,that she/Simon obviously hired themselves)..haul more bags (shipped across 2 continents from Australia,very sustainable), and honestly I've already forgotten what the other 15 mins of this video was about haha.
Her content is like a poster for greenwashing.
She's really just moved from doing Zara and high street to more expensive hauls...while still collaborating with and receiving gifts from fast fashion brands but obviously not pointing out their practices!

drasticactions
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by drasticactions »

She gets way too excited about these expensive bags, at least this Gucci one looked nice, but her vintage LV and fendi both looked fake to me. I love bags too, and I have a few but I feel like every month she's buys a new bag. That's the only thing going on in her life, tradesmen doing work (and then her complaining about it, no one told you you had to update your kitchen etc) and getting new bags or making a long boring videos about shoes. At least if she went to the occasional event there'd be something different to share.

Squishypotato
Debater
Debater

Post by Squishypotato »

drasticactions wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:28 pm
She gets way too excited about these expensive bags, at least this Gucci one looked nice, but her vintage LV and fendi both looked fake to me. I love bags too, and I have a few but I feel like every month she's buys a new bag. That's the only thing going on in her life, tradesmen doing work (and then her complaining about it, no one told you you had to update your kitchen etc) and getting new bags or making a long boring videos about shoes. At least if she went to the occasional event there'd be something different to share.
But she's apparently an " expert" at buying vintage bags online lol.I do like the Gucci bag (at least it isn't that ubiquitous) but that suede is going to be a real pain to keep clean... she also made a big deal about how she regretted getting that suede celine bag some time ago, and I can't see how this is going to be any different in terms of maintenance. Maybe she'll grace us with a video about how to clean bags too, haha.
Yeah, some travel or other event related content would be a good change! She's so boring I'm at the brink of suggesting she does more Simon content just for SOMETHING DIFFERENT..

Post by Guest »

That last vlog was a joke. She totally phoned it in. How did she string that out to 19:20? :? It should have been no longer than 4 mins as she unboxed the new bags.
The rest of it was literally nothing. Her saying she watched Wimbledon, her saying they took photos of her dress, her saying she took a shower and is going to bed. That was it, she didn't show any of that, she just narrated it - as though any of it was worth discussing on-camera! :roll: How did she stretch that out for soooo long?
I know she follows the formula of 1 haul per week and 1 personal vlog per week, but this vlog was an insult. She should broken the formula for this week and just made it an unboxing for the bags. That was shameful. This is your job and if I put in a week at work similar to that week she vlogged, I would be suffering the consequences.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”