Nerd About Town

Grey_Beard
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nerd About Town

Post by Grey_Beard »

What do you guys think about the recent surge in plus size bloggers recently?

I came across this blogger Stephanie and her blog nerd about town recently, and while her beauty posts are okay, her style and photos are awful!

She recently did this blog post in nothing but her underwear and to be honest I think it's appalling - http://www.nerdabouttown.com/2015/02/as ... gerie.html

Nobody wants to see that. It's bad enough when you have normal looking bloggers taking photos in their underwear and trying to pass it off as a "review", when you know they just want to show off, but it's even worse when its's someone obese. What if an employer came across it? Or her parents? Don't these people think before hitting 'upload'? All these kinds of bloggers do is promote obesity and an unhealthy lifestyle. She literally looks like a beached whale.

snarkvark
Informer
Informer

Re: Nerd About Town

Post by snarkvark »

I don't see anything wrong with the pictures other than they're not very good quality and the photography is pretty bad. I like that she's confident with her body and screw you for insulting her. This might be a place to "gossip" about bloggers, but putting people down on their appearance is a low blow.

Seijun

Post by Seijun »

Grey_Beard wrote:What do you guys think about the recent surge in plus size bloggers recently?

I came across this blogger Stephanie and her blog nerd about town recently, and while her beauty posts are okay, her style and photos are awful!

She recently did this blog post in nothing but her underwear and to be honest I think it's appalling - http://www.nerdabouttown.com/2015/02/as ... gerie.html

Nobody wants to see that. It's bad enough when you have normal looking bloggers taking photos in their underwear and trying to pass it off as a "review", when you know they just want to show off, but it's even worse when its's someone obese. What if an employer came across it? Or her parents? Don't these people think before hitting 'upload'? All these kinds of bloggers do is promote obesity and an unhealthy lifestyle. She literally looks like a beached whale.
Dafuq?!

Plus-size bloggers are not 'promoting obesity' (that argument is getting old seriously) but most of them are promoting self-acceptance whatever your size may be. Sorry to break it to you but the internet is wide and there are a lot of people reading blogs, those places cater to anyone who might want to identify themselves with the ones writing these websites. And the world is not only made of modelesque girls in size 4 (or whatever the smallest size in your country might be - I honestly could care less).

If you want to start debating on obesity, you should take a look at food companies' ads which are EVERYWHERE and tell you to buy 'Product X because it is amazingly delicious' (when half of it is made of crap).

I find her photos to be 'bad' (not the best out there) and that blurring filter is annoying, but she is in no way appalling. The only thing appalling thing here is your post.

chunkemonke
Talker
Talker

Post by chunkemonke »

Im in-between with both sides. Hear me out.

When your audience starts to increase and you have a larger following, you become a ROLE MODEL.
Yes, every individual is technically responsible for THEIR own body and lifestyle, and should do their own research, but really....role models should not be promoting things that are dangerous or unhealthy to anyone.

I feel like it can be a dangerous thing for plus sized (and yes, BEAUTIFUL, because we've all seen those gorgeous plus size models) people become mainstream, it DOES set not just a body acceptance, but...an acceptance to be unhealthy. It becomes the normal, when in reality, being any kind of overweight state is not healthy for you. (As well as underweight.)

Years ago when all models were pretty much anorexic, it became an issue to stand up to this trend and bring it to light for it's unhealthy reasons but this is the exact same thing. Obesity should be taken care of, not bashed per say, but we need to get rid of it. It's one of the number one killers.

Its not about bashing them, or not "accepting who they are" or "being jealous of their confidence" it all comes down to health.

Not only are they in a state of unhealthiness but then their audiences are saying "yes, its BEAUTIFUL to be unhealthy."

---------------
Although I will say there are a lot of plus sized/obese bloggers and vloggers who have put forth an effort to be healthier while still being proud of their size and image, stating their mission, blogging about weightless, or even just filming a trip to the gym, yeah they're still overweight but they're not PROMOTING BEING OVERWEIGHT/OBESE.

These are COMPLETELY different, from girls who are getting larger on purpose to land plus size modeling jobs, or girls who say they are proud of their weight and want to remain this way AND bash girls who are slim, athletic, naturally thin/bony. These kind of people are the ones setting a bad example.

Okay, end rant/opinion.

Grey_Beard
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Grey_Beard »

chunkemonke wrote:Im in-between with both sides. Hear me out.

When your audience starts to increase and you have a larger following, you become a ROLE MODEL.
Yes, every individual is technically responsible for THEIR own body and lifestyle, and should do their own research, but really....role models should not be promoting things that are dangerous or unhealthy to anyone.

I feel like it can be a dangerous thing for plus sized (and yes, BEAUTIFUL, because we've all seen those gorgeous plus size models) people become mainstream, it DOES set not just a body acceptance, but...an acceptance to be unhealthy. It becomes the normal, when in reality, being any kind of overweight state is not healthy for you. (As well as underweight.)

Years ago when all models were pretty much anorexic, it became an issue to stand up to this trend and bring it to light for it's unhealthy reasons but this is the exact same thing. Obesity should be taken care of, not bashed per say, but we need to get rid of it. It's one of the number one killers.

Its not about bashing them, or not "accepting who they are" or "being jealous of their confidence" it all comes down to health.

Not only are they in a state of unhealthiness but then their audiences are saying "yes, its BEAUTIFUL to be unhealthy."

---------------
Although I will say there are a lot of plus sized/obese bloggers and vloggers who have put forth an effort to be healthier while still being proud of their size and image, stating their mission, blogging about weightless, or even just filming a trip to the gym, yeah they're still overweight but they're not PROMOTING BEING OVERWEIGHT/OBESE.

These are COMPLETELY different, from girls who are getting larger on purpose to land plus size modeling jobs, or girls who say they are proud of their weight and want to remain this way AND bash girls who are slim, athletic, naturally thin/bony. These kind of people are the ones setting a bad example.

Okay, end rant/opinion.
Agreed.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with my post - like Chunke said, she's promoting obesity and it's disgusting. Rolls on underwear such as that is disgusting and is not attractive to anymore. These people have a nerve to think that they look attractive wearing very little.

letswiki
Informer
Informer

Post by letswiki »

i don't have a problem with this post, nor am i angered by it (how can you let yourself be angered over something so insignificant?). bloggers don't choose to be role models, nor do they have to comply to having social responsibility unless they're signed to an agency.

would you have such a problem if she was talking pictures of herself in underwear and wasn't 'obese' (your words, not mine)?

to have those opinions of someone based on what THEY CHOOSE to put on the internet, and being so offended by their size is weird. can't believe people are so cool with fat shaming (and slut shaming). plus size bloggers and fat acceptance blogs are needed as much as any other fashion blogs. also, don't deny people the right to their own self-acceptance and confidence.

plenty of people want to see more of this sort of thing and find it useful - not necessarily in a titillating way - i think it's great that she has the confidence to show girls of a similar size how the lingerie fits as it's incredibly helpful. i myself use sites like fuller figure fuller bust for bra reviews as we're of a similar bra size and it's important for me to know what size to go for in clothes to accommodate my boobs, as i often have to size up. the mainstream don't provide enough information for people with larger boobs and of larger size, and naturally, bloggers who have larger boobs or are plus size feel like they need to provide it because such body types are significantly underrepresented.

we need more diversity in fashion blogging so all sizes and races are represented to give consumers and readers an accurate idea of how clothes fits and look on different shapes and skin colours.

you both need to calm down and maybe it would help you if you accepted that plus sized people exist and aren't going anywhere soon. and that they deserve as much RESPECT and as anyone of any other size. you can always choose to ignore them.

Seijun

Post by Seijun »

^ All of the "YES" to letswiki's post. I couldn't agree more; I was unable to properly form my opinion before as I was kind of pissed by such a thread, but you've said everything I was thinking.

Jay
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Jay »

I'm sure if she was slender and unhealthy, which is a huge norm, it wouldn't be appalling and promoting an unhealthy lifestyle

Grey_Beard
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Grey_Beard »

Jay wrote:I'm sure if she was slender and unhealthy, which is a huge norm, it wouldn't be appalling and promoting an unhealthy lifestyle
It looks from her IG anyway that she is going to the gym and is trying to lose weight now, which i suppose is good. I will admit, I didn't really like her in the beginning but after that whole thing between her and grace/uglyfaceofbeauty, I've warmed to her and her confidence.

She still needs to get herself a decent photographer or something though.

Tea_Green
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Tea_Green »

I don't mind her to be honest. I like how she's trying to make the whole plus size thing more ethnically diverse in a community which seems to be predominantly, white. I think she's awesome.

imjustsaying
Talker
Talker

Post by imjustsaying »

I don't understand why she is constantly making subliminal tweets about Gracie? I have seen her name pop up in the past in Gracie's threads, once again making subliminal tweets - is it all one sided?

Honestly, they probably seem to have far more in common than they realise as they both constantly moan about being so hard done by.

Kizz
Informer
Informer

Post by Kizz »

Ugh I love her, she is so lovely and I think she spreads positivity regarding plus size blogging without being too OTT.

In regards to the Grace thing, I love that she acknowledges it instead of being "loyal" just because she's a blogger.

Tea_Green
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Tea_Green »

imjustsaying wrote:I don't understand why she is constantly making subliminal tweets about Gracie? I have seen her name pop up in the past in Gracie's threads, once again making subliminal tweets - is it all one sided?

Honestly, they probably seem to have far more in common than they realise as they both constantly moan about being so hard done by.
I think the difference between the two is that Steph is trying to strive for body and race inclusivity in a community where people of colour are grossly underrepresented (plus size fashion).

Grace just moans, complains and gives excuses for her shit channel.

I do think it's funny though, how Stephanie has just made a video on her channel talking about vloggers who have been doing sponsored posts about Femfresh and how it's morally wrong, soon after Grace did a video with Femfresh. Hmmm.

Eevee+
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by Eevee+ »

I've never really had an issue with Steph myself, but I definitely don't think it's our place to say whether someone is unhealthy or such - we only see a small insight to their lives through social media

exlurker240993
Learner
Learner

Post by exlurker240993 »

Just bumping this thread because I am a long time follower of Steph but recently I have developed some mixed feelings about her...

I admire her dedication and activism and I feel like she makes a lot of good points about issues sometimes plus she knows how to dress well for her figure and seems to be happy in her own skin. I do like how she called out Jameela Jamil for stealing her quotes on body positivity and then lying about it However I sometimes find her to be draining on social media - like I've noticed that she will sometimes go out of her way to drag people/retweet shady stuff on occasion when it isn't really necessary and it can come across as being bitchy/malicious like she resents someone for talking about their personal struggles and then retweets something with a comment like 'oh try being a fat dark skinned black woman! I have it 10x harder than you!' etc when something has nothing to do with any of that. Not denying that she has experienced hardships, bullying, fatphobia but the fact that she will sometimes use Twittersphere as a therapist and air out all her struggles continually instead makes it sometimes mentally draining to read her feed - every so often it's her crying about her dating struggles yet again and continual tweets about how miserable she is. I feel like sometimes Steph would benefit from a social media break. Sometimes she does seem like she's too fragile to accept any sort of criticism online.

imjustsaying
Talker
Talker

Nerd About Town

Post by imjustsaying »

exlurker240993 wrote:Just bumping this thread because I am a long time follower of Steph but recently I have developed some mixed feelings about her...

I admire her dedication and activism and I feel like she makes a lot of good points about issues sometimes plus she knows how to dress well for her figure and seems to be happy in her own skin. I do like how she called out Jameela Jamil for stealing her quotes on body positivity and then lying about it However I sometimes find her to be draining on social media - like I've noticed that she will sometimes go out of her way to drag people/retweet shady stuff on occasion when it isn't really necessary and it can come across as being bitchy/malicious like she resents someone for talking about their personal struggles and then retweets something with a comment like 'oh try being a fat dark skinned black woman! I have it 10x harder than you!' etc when something has nothing to do with any of that. Not denying that she has experienced hardships, bullying, fatphobia but the fact that she will sometimes use Twittersphere as a therapist and air out all her struggles continually instead makes it sometimes mentally draining to read her feed - every so often it's her crying about her dating struggles yet again and continual tweets about how miserable she is. I feel like sometimes Steph would benefit from a social media break. Sometimes she does seem like she's too fragile to accept any sort of criticism online.
You’ve hit the nail on the head here.

I too have noted her draining personality, being messy and retweeting things and having so much to say but can’t seem to handle the heat when it’s on her, not liking people who have a difference opinion to her own etc.

She really ought to seek professional help and a social media break would do her good but i imagine it’s hard to do so when it’s your sole job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

exlurker240993
Learner
Learner

Post by exlurker240993 »

imjustsaying wrote:
exlurker240993 wrote:Just bumping this thread because I am a long time follower of Steph but recently I have developed some mixed feelings about her...

You’ve hit the nail on the head here.

I too have noted her draining personality, being messy and retweeting things and having so much to say but can’t seem to handle the heat when it’s on her, not liking people who have a difference opinion to her own etc.

She really ought to seek professional help and a social media break would do her good but i imagine it’s hard to do so when it’s your sole job.

I think it would be hugely beneficial to her to have some sort of psychological help - especially since she claims to have experienced so much hardship e.g. being unexpectedly uprooted to Ghana when she was a kid and dealing with the bullying she faced at school then later on dealing with this heartbreak with her ex who dumped her, the negative experiences she has on dating apps etc. - it's evident that these experiences she speaks of have been extremely trying for her but I can't help but look at her feed and think that a good therapist would help her work through these issues instead of continually whining on Twitter and seeking validation for her sadness from strangers all the time. It's definitely not healthy, also with what she does with constantly mentioning to her followers how shit she's feeling, how she's insecure and has so many struggles it is no doubt draining and I can't help but think that this is part of the reason why she doesn't have many friends or why her long term relationship ended - I can't imagine it's easy for someone to be around her and constantly listen to her whining and crying about her life all the time. Therapy and a career change to a less social media/influencer based field would do her good as she just doesn't have thick enough skin to put herself out there despite what she portrays.

exlurker240993
Learner
Learner

Post by exlurker240993 »

So she posted a story about a guy dating her for a dare and inevtiably this was going to result in some people out there on the big wide internet laughing at her expense - I feel sorry for her but at the same time I do sometimes think she acts in a way that brings this onto herself. She didn't HAVE to let the entire internet know about this situation or the experiences she's had with men fetishising her on dating apps if she does not have the mental strength to realise that in sharing these stories unfortunately not all the comments in response are going to be full of positivity and support for her and there will be nasty people who will be horrible to her about it. I really think Steph should just delete the dating apps, take a step back from the internet and just focus on herself instead of broadcasting her own bad experiences publicly on the Internet to fish for sympathy along with the constant half naked lingere pictures (I get that she wants to prove a point about fat bodies being accepted but she's doing too much it's like we get the point). She should stop always seeking self validation from strangers on the Internet because it's not a healthy thing to do. The trouble is she can't see that due to her personality and she takes any suggestion people make to her that doesn't agree with her personal views as 'criticism of fat dark skinned black women' even when those suggestions are helpful. She really doesn't help herself at all.

imjustsaying
Talker
Talker

Post by imjustsaying »

exlurker240993 wrote:So she posted a story about a guy dating her for a dare and inevtiably this was going to result in some people out there on the big wide internet laughing at her expense - I feel sorry for her but at the same time I do sometimes think she acts in a way that brings this onto herself. She didn't HAVE to let the entire internet know about this situation or the experiences she's had with men fetishising her on dating apps if she does not have the mental strength to realise that in sharing these stories unfortunately not all the comments in response are going to be full of positivity and support for her and there will be nasty people who will be horrible to her about it. I really think Steph should just delete the dating apps, take a step back from the internet and just focus on herself instead of broadcasting her own bad experiences publicly on the Internet to fish for sympathy along with the constant half naked lingere pictures (I get that she wants to prove a point about fat bodies being accepted but she's doing too much it's like we get the point). She should stop always seeking self validation from strangers on the Internet because it's not a healthy thing to do. The trouble is she can't see that due to her personality and she takes any suggestion people make to her that doesn't agree with her personal views as 'criticism of fat dark skinned black women' even when those suggestions are helpful. She really doesn't help herself at all.
Yes, i saw the drama play out on twitter. I know it’s awful to think, but when i first saw the tweet i couldn’t help but wonder whether she was making it up to fuel the attention and pity she constantly she seems to crave.

Terrible if true, but you’re right, one doesn’t need to share everything on social media to the extent steph does.

She really does need to step back from the internet and get herself together!

NerdAboutTown
Stalker
Stalker

Post by NerdAboutTown »

Hi guys!

Saw a recent bump in my blog traffic and of course, it links back to here.

Thought I'd address some of the assumptions in here because, why not?

1. Cheers for the criticism. I'm actually quite good at taking it, so I'm not sure where the sentences above come from.

2. I don't believe I post shady tweets. I follow a lot of American Twitter as I like their sense of humour. if you personally find it shady, that's your own personal problem and it has nothing to do with me.

3. I see a therapist, and have done so for years. Thanks for the faux concern though. Also, it's not your place to say what you think i'm like outside of social media. You don't know me and can only go by what I CHOOSE to show you online. I'm actually a lovely little Sprite. You guys know nothing about my relationship, why it ended or what it was like, so I'm confused as to why you guys are assuming I was the problem lmao? Weird.

4. I can share whatever I want to share tbh. I'm a writer at heart, and use a lot of my personal experiences to open up serious social conversations. Would you tell a mental health advocate not to open up about their mental health? Because that's essentially what you're saying I should do. I talk a lot about mental health, so I speak from a place of experience. I'm not sure if you guys know how it all work?

5.Can't step back from the internet when it pays my rent and bills fam. Part of my job is always being 'on'. If i'm not 'on', bills don't get paid. Again, I'm not sure if you guys know how this works.

6. I have a wonderful personality. You guys are tripping!

7. Lastly...and this is VERY important so take heed guys! If you don't like my content or anything I have to say...unfollow! Please please please unfollow people you don't like, because the only people you are hurting are yourselves. Unless you know, you're hate-following me and are very interested in my work and what I have to say (obviously), then by all means continue. I have a lot of great projects coming up soon that you guys can further bitch about, and it also keeps my name out there, so thank you!

I know I didn't have to reply to this, but I had 10 mins to spare and I needed a break between all the work I'm doing.

Return to “Abhorred Bloggers”