Hating Where You Live?

loopyloo
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hating Where You Live?

Post by loopyloo »

amethystical wrote:I live in Oxford in England, and I actually really like it. It's a beautiful city. :)
Oxford is a city I would like to get to know better. A friend lived there before marriage and has endless anecdotes about all the great social events/gigs/plays etc she went to.

I live in a dreary English town where the population seems to be half made up of the elderly and half made up of young families. It's very hard to make friends. I am going to move to a nearby city soon. I have moved around the UK a bit and also spent six months working in America. I'm glad I have done all that because it does make you realise that every place has it's pros and cons. When I meet people who seem to think that all their problems will be moved by living somewhere else I always wonder whether they will end up disappointed.

As1014
Informer
Informer

Post by As1014 »

I live in louisiana and I love this state it's beautiful but I feel so out of place, mostly everybody is country or redneck whatever you wanna call it (I live in the same area duck dynasty is from so if you've seen the show you can imagine how country it is here for me). I come from a Hispanic family so we're a lot different from my friends families. I wish I could just get up and move. I'd love to live in the Los Angeles area because I hear the weather is always perfect and there's a hell of a lot more things to do there than here. Also I'd love to finish beauty school out there but I can only imagine how expensive it is to live there and I wouldn't know anybody and wouldn't know my way around.I can always dream right lol

Post by Guest »

I've lived in Glasgow my whole life. It's...

Was supposed to move to Newcastle this year, but now fucker's being a fucker and THAT's not gonna happen. Ugh! Idec; the only place I truly want to be is Paris.

I do feel extremely fortunate to be from Glasgow, because i could've grown up in Pakistan (which wouldn't have been anywhere near as beneficial, obviously). I hate complaining about Britain, because it's wonderful to live in (free and good education, free healthcare, plenty of food/water, freedom/democracy, and many other things so many people don't have), but it's not my ideal place. There's honestly not much to do in Glasgow, if you don't like clubbing and what not. I've been to every museum millions of times. There are no interesting markets, etc. You could find pretty much everything which is in Glasgow, in every other city of the UK (does that make sense?). The west end is nice, I guess. But nothing compares to Paris (or even Amsterdam). The background on my phone screen is of Paris, that's how much I love it. Ugh! Save me!

Although, ultimately, a place is what you make of it. I'm sure if circumstances where different, I actually wouldn't mind staying in Glasgow. And for all I know, I could move and wherever I go could be shit :/

Wow, that was a bit too long of a post!

bl0ndiebabii
Informer
Informer

Post by bl0ndiebabii »

I hate where I'm from. I'll be honest and say I'm from Youngstown, OH which is a place noted for its high crime rates (given the small population), shrinking population, lack of economic growth, horrible school system and just horrid amount of urban blight. There is nothing to do in Youngstown and going to the mall and movies in the surrounding suburbs gets old real fast. Also, being afraid of getting robbed, raped or shot at any particular time of the time also adds to my discomfort in living there. It's also a place that's a classic example of if you don't get out you'll be stuck there forever even if you're not "book-smart" and stay there you will become a statistic. I'm grateful to attend college in the capital but whenever I go back I wonder why my parents didn't pack up and move to New York or San Jose when I was a child because I think being in one of those areas would make me less of a secret bitter/pessimist person.

Sorry for that rant but I've been keeping that in for a long time and needed to just vent to someone because my college friends don't understand or would judge me if they knew where I really am from.

eleventhirty
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by eleventhirty »

I love the house & neighborhood I live in, but I hate that it's located in the tiniest town in all of the USA. The town is exactly 2 streets big (criss crossed) and 30 minutes from actual civilization. Only grocer closes at 8. Population is only a fraction of that hick town in Footloose where dancing is forbidden.

Luckily if there's a zombie invasion there's only one tiny graveyard and everyone owns a rifle.

BexxGilmour
Learner
Learner

Post by BexxGilmour »

I live in a quite 'chavvy' place in England, so you can always expect to be shouted at! It's not bad though.
Let you soul take you where you long to be
- Erik, The Phantom of the Opera

Nais rais
Debater
Debater

Post by Nais rais »

I said i rather sleep, but i keep doing this thing. So inconsistent.

I love my country. But, there are some weird things/ facts that may only exist in my country

1. my country is an archipelagic country with thousands of small islands and 5 big islands. But, most foreigner only know 1 small island in my country. the island is famous, because there's a lot of celebrity who married there. Many foreigners might said they never go to my country but when i asked, did you ever go to 'the island', mostly they say 'yes'. Lol

2. in my country you have to declare your religion in almost all officials documents, such as id cards, family cards, and school administration, office administration etc. something happened in the past that made communism strictly prohibited. unfortunately the government mixes communist and atheist even though those 2 things are different, so people who don't have religion will be considered communist. And the government only recognizes 6 official religions, apart from that will be written as others. Weird right?

3. tumblr recently was blocked. And reddit were blocked since long time ago. I think there's a problem with their filter system or something, i'm not sure.

4. we learn english but mostly only passive english like reading and writing from teacher whose not native speaker. so we studied english for years at school but while interacting with native speakers, mostly we couldn't understand their words let alone reply. We learn a lot of english grammar for our writing skill but the knowledge pretty much gone after exam because we never use it. (I think my english listening skill was began to improved when i started watching youtube)

5. Our language is easy to learn but we have too many prefixes and suffixes. My language don't have a lot of rules, we don't use tenses, we don't have various 'to be' (is, are, was, were, etc), we don't have personal pronouns based on gender like she, he, his, her, him, we only use 1 word for those five words. Most words in our language are general words. for example, we do not have 2 separate words for boyfriend and girlfriend, we just use 1 word to describe the couple's relationship before marriage. So, use google translation for english translating would be very tricky and needs a lot of edit.

Return to “Travel”