Sackpacks for travel?

pinkhippos
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0

Sackpacks for travel?

Post by pinkhippos »

Also known as cinch sacks or drawstring backpack, I was wondering if this would be a good travel bag? I'll be going to Japan for 5 weeks and I hope to travel as light as possible. These kind of bags are super light, can be rolled into my luggage and don't take up that much room. My concern is if it'll be extra prone to theft due to it not being a zipped and/or locked closure. I've never owned one so I also don't know if the lack of padded straps would be an issue either.

I've looked at some packable day packs, but they all seem to be too big for what I'm looking for but I'm open to any suggestions as well!

filthyanimal
Learner
Learner
Been thanked: 0

Re: Sackpacks for travel?

Post by filthyanimal »

Do not take one of those, that is just asking for it. I've never been to Japan, so I don't know what the theft is like there. But I've been to South Africa (lots of theft, but amazing place) and all over Europe. Regardless, don't take any backpack. You will see people with them. But that's dumb. Take a cross body and keep your money in a change purse and in a pocket within the bag... so it's even harder to access. That way they can only pick pocket crap like brochures etc. wear the cross body in your front and keep your hand/arm over it. Also, hold your camera in your hand and don't set it down. Those are what have kept me from never having had things stolen. Granted, it's not foolproof. Don't be paranoid either, like don't let it get to you. But yea, definitely don't take a drawstring backpack or a cinch sack. At least, I never would.

pinkhippos
Lurker
Lurker

Post by pinkhippos »

Thanks so much for your reply and advice! I've decided to ditch the sack pack and just bring my backpack, even though it takes up more space and is added weight. I know you recommend against it but I've wandered NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and Paris with it at all times of day, and have had no issues (thankfully!). Since I'll be hiking, it'll be easier on my back as well vs bringing a messenger bag (my first time in NYC I did this and it killed my shoulder).

I was kinda hoping I could slide by with something more compact this time but a lot of people have recommended against it so I'd rather stick to something I'm more comfortable carrying around. Safety is better than convenience! :D

filthyanimal
Learner
Learner

Post by filthyanimal »

No, problem. I understand. Sometimes I would see people wearing their backpacks around their front if that's not entirely too dorky for you. Lol :D

byronbok
Wanderer
Wanderer

Sackpacks for travel

Post by byronbok »

Im a big baseball nut and like to travel around the coutry to watch baseball.

Is anyone else a sports traveler?

Return to “Travel”