Eating healthy/lowcal all day and then ruining it at night..

akello13
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Eating healthy/lowcal all day and then ruining it at night..

Post by akello13 »

Okay girls, in need of some advise. Around October of 2012 I lost all the weight I needed to and was at my goal weight. It came off quickly, I ate probably around 800-1000 calories a day and worked my ass off at the gym/running. Now, I gained back the weight (20 pounds) and am having a hard time sticking to a diet again. It seems my problem is not eating enough, although I'm not quite sure. I will eat healthy, low calorie meals all day and then when it gets late at night I am SO hungry that I ruin it and just eat everything in sight because I am hungry. For instance, today I started the day with two hard boiled eggs. For lunch, I had salad and for dinner I had a turky dog wrapped in cheddar cheese and a cup of beets. That's it. And I stupidly saw a piece of pizza and had that (okay it was 2 slices) and had that and now I feel like I ruined the day of dieting. Any advice?!

Pixiepink
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Re: Eating healthy/lowcal all day and then ruining it at nig

Post by Pixiepink »

You said it, you're hungry. Eat more during the day.

Winter song
Informer
Informer

Post by Winter song »

Pixiepink wrote:You said it, you're hungry. Eat more during the day.

+1

Decayedbeauty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Decayedbeauty »

Eat more during the day and you won't binge at night. Keep a diary of what you're eating, sometimes you crave certain foods for certain nutrients.

thrillah
Informer
Informer

Post by thrillah »

have some porridge / oatmeal with your breakfast with some fruit <--- super healthy and will keep you full (have the boiled egg as well if you want as its a great source of protein!)

if you can make smoothies I'd recommend having one as a snack in between your breakfast and lunch.

Add some good carbs into your lunch. Sweet potato, quinoa or beans are a good option.

As for night time, IF you still feel hungry after trying that out then make enough at dinner to leave in the fridge for later then you wont feel as tempted to eat crap!

Milov
Learner
Learner

Post by Milov »

800 calories is just not enough for you body to function properly! When you put in so little fuel, your body thinks it's starving and actually saves all the food you eat as fat. Yes, fat. I don't think you want that.

Aim for 1200 a day, have healthy balanced meals and exercise. You will see results! :)

akello13
Lurker
Lurker

Post by akello13 »

Thank you all very much! Appreciate the help <3

yudodis
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by yudodis »

Hey, if still in need, I might help... I had numbers of lectures about food & eating during the days when I was an athlete (now an ex :(), anyway... Firstly, you said you eat 800-1000 calories per day. You basically put your body into starvation mode, if you burn calories with that intake, I am afraid the weight you lost will definetely come back, no matter what. Because what you lost was not the actual fat in your body, but just maybe water, mass of muscles and etc.

Depending on your workout, height, weight and age, you should take a counted calories. For example, being 70 kgs (155 lbs) and 176 cm (5'8.5"), I take around 1700-2300 calories per day when I workout, and during workout I burn around 600-1000 calories, and strength training too, and I lost unwanted weight in 4-6 weeks with toning my body...

I ate oatmeal, and egg at breakfast, and I can say I forced myself to eat in lunch and snacks. I eat wholemeal bread during the meals, which also keeps me full. Also snacks are very important to keep your metabolism fast. If I feel hungry after my last meal, at nights, I eat snacks early, I drink green tea with maybe eating yogurt or diet desserts... Possibilities are limitless.

My eating plan: Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Snack.

Best of wishes to you :)

EZXIII
Talker
Talker

Post by EZXIII »

I had the same problem, love. I went on mfp and logged my foods for like three days and found out that even though I was eating pretty well/clean, I just wasn't giving my body enough calories to function and thus I would feel as if I hadn't eaten A THING when nighttime rolled around.

bznz
Debater
Debater

Post by bznz »

I do this too. Probably worse because I ate like one meal a day for almost a year (so about 300 calories a day). Then when I started eating again I was like: FOOD! MM! GOOD! FOOOD! And I gained a little bit (a lot).

What I found works for me to keep me away from sugary or bad foods is to always have something to snack on. Fruits and vegetables like cucumber, carrots, apple slices... I also started freezing pieces of fruits because that would take me longer to eat and therefore keep me satisfied longer. Now I "allow" myself to eat a bit more, because I also work out. So maybe that's something for you? Because it seems like your body wants more food.

delicatepearl
Talker
Talker

Post by delicatepearl »

Milov wrote:800 calories is just not enough for you body to function properly! When you put in so little fuel, your body thinks it's starving and actually saves all the food you eat as fat. Yes, fat. I don't think you want that.

Aim for 1200 a day, have healthy balanced meals and exercise. You will see results! :)
Yes! My tip that I've heard from many people and places is to have more smaller meals throughout the day, instead of say having 3 big meals and little snacks in between. Balance them out into 5 or 6 small meals throughout the day. You won't be hungry!

MissCléa
Talker
Talker

Post by MissCléa »

Try to eat a well-balanced, filling breakfast. It will help you control your appetite at night.

Also, listen to your body! Just eat when you're hungry.

BellaHamilton
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by BellaHamilton »

Hi,
I'm faced to some similar problem, so it took a lot time to overcome it.
But what really helped to me. i was used to eat 5-6 times by a small portion during a day and I had a full breakfast. That prevented some night/compulsive eating . Besides, I got much new after reading this article about food shopping tips to keep a healthy diet. Because it's imporatant always to have something healthy food at home.

Hope it works!

Return to “Diet”