Staying motivated when it comes to exercise?

Rolaskatox
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Staying motivated when it comes to exercise?

Post by Rolaskatox »

I am one fat bitch. There are times where I'll do really good and lose 30lbs. and then there are times where I'll have zero motivation and gain it all back plus some. Really tired of being fat but I have no clue how to stay motivated. If I have any kind of emotional crisis, I only get motivated to eat.

Currently I haven't been doing much because of all the mud and snow. I wanted to just get an elliptical but the box was bigger than the car and now I'm too broke. So, it's pretty much zero exercise. Advice would be swell. Advice about exercise and gaining willpower when it comes to bad food would be double swell.

Eleabear57
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: Staying motivated when it comes to exercise?

Post by Eleabear57 »

As for exercise, it's a matter of finding a type you love. Try all different kinds..yoga, pilates, weigh training, cardio, etc until you find some ones you really enjoy . I really recommend tone it up on youtube as well as fitness blender. They have a good variety of things to try. However, it's usually more about diet than exercise. Frankly, I'm a binge eater myself. What I did was I found a bunch of snacks that were really nutritious and calorie dense to keep myself satiated. Smoothies are fantastic for this! Also, not eating while your bored makes a huge difference, at least for me it did! Just don't go on a really restrictive diet. Eat tons of fruits and veggies and beans and carbs to keep satisfied. Portion control makes the most difference. Restrictive dieting is no bueno. I hope I helped a little

ETA:

RustinCohle
Learner
Learner

Post by RustinCohle »

I don't know whether this ''tip'' classifies as motivational one, but I think it's worth mentioning. DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO INSTAGRAM FITNESS MODELS! Ever! Why specifically instagram ones? Because most of them fail to mention (and show) how much work, time and money it takes to get the body you feel good and confident in. They never talk about how hard it is to change a diet, that you won't always be able to make healthy choices, that both your body and MIND go through the change! It's so easy for them to post their transformation pics with the cliche motivational quote.

Create a regimen that caters to your wishes and needs. Listen to your body. Don't go hard in the gym/group classes if you don't feel like it. Try to always be full. I've noticed that when I'm hungry, I'm most likely to overeat and binge on sweets :|
When it comes to feeling hungry ''all the time'', you can try this classic trick: drink water. If you feel hungry after drinking it, you probably are hungry! Binge eating is tricky because in my experience the need to binge eat sneaks on you when you least expect it. Solution for that is planning your meals in advance, or having a healthy snack nearby. You can give a go at meal prepping, but in the beginning I think it's more than enough to have a package of nuts/sliced vegetables in your bag at all times. If you are interested in meal prepping, I suggest checking out BakingMadGymAddict's channel. It offers far more meal prep options besides the oh so overdone and boring - brown rice, barely seasoned chicken breasts and asparagus.

If you are not the gym type, I highly suggest checking out Les Mills group fitness programs! The ones I think would be beneficial to you are BodyPump (weight training), BodyVive (light cardio with bands and core workouts) and BodyBalance (mixture of yoga, tai chi and pilates). I know I sound like their spokesperson but I've been attending Les Mills classes for four years now and I love the effect they have on me, both mentally and physically. I've never felt the need to go to the gym. And needless to say, once you start Les Mills programs you'll get addicted!

It might seem like I'm anti-instagram models, oh contrare! I love looking at their pics, I think they are beautiful people, but their gym routines and diets and hardly maintainable for us average Janes. Most of us don't have the time and means to achieve the kind of physique they're portraying, and you/we shouldn't feel ashamed of that! Don't expect instant results, and be patient.

Eleabear57
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Eleabear57 »

RustinCohle wrote:I don't know whether this ''tip'' classifies as motivational one, but I think it's worth mentioning. DO NOT COMPARE YOURSELF TO INSTAGRAM FITNESS MODELS! Ever! Why specifically instagram ones? Because most of them fail to mention (and show) how much work, time and money it takes to get the body you feel good and confident in. They never talk about how hard it is to change a diet, that you won't always be able to make healthy choices, that both your body and MIND go through the change! It's so easy for them to post their transformation pics with the cliche motivational quote.
I 1000% agree. They literally spend every second of their day dieting, working out, getting surgical enhancements, dehydrating themselves for picture days, etc. It's not healthy at ALL

kofi
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by kofi »

It may sound like a no brainer, but the most important tip of them all is to learn to love your body as it is right now. And as it would be if you gained weight. Once you love and accept your body (of course this won't be instantaneous and of course you won't feel always confident... self acceptance is a long and difficult path and there will be days of self hatred, but the emphasis is put on the overall attitude you show towards your body).

Then, as the other posters said, it's all about finding the kind of exercise you enjoy. Sure you may need more work in certain parts of your body, but first and foremost try and discover what exercises you actually enjoy doing. Working out should NEVER feel like a chore or some unfinished work to do. Try different kinds of exercise. Right now I find piloxing (mixture of pilates and boxing) and cardio barre (inspired by ballet exercises) to be fun, not too difficult and, well, enjoyable.

Something that works for me too is starting the day with a little bit of exercise. It may sound a no-no, but if you devote a tiny amount of time in the morning to working out (10-15 minutes is okay!), you'll feel like you've already accomplished a lot :love2:

Eleabear57
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Eleabear57 »

I know one thing that gets me motivated (and this may sound silly) is watching a workout video on youtube. It makes me want to get off my butt and get active!

smars27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by smars27 »

Rolaskatox wrote:I am one fat bitch. There are times where I'll do really good and lose 30lbs. and then there are times where I'll have zero motivation and gain it all back plus some. Really tired of being fat but I have no clue how to stay motivated. If I have any kind of emotional crisis, I only get motivated to eat.

Currently I haven't been doing much because of all the mud and snow. I wanted to just get an elliptical but the box was bigger than the car and now I'm too broke. So, it's pretty much zero exercise. Advice would be swell. Advice about exercise and gaining willpower when it comes to bad food would be double swell.
I hate exercising but I've never been overweight (until recently- 5 pounds overweight for my height..hooray for me. -_-. 1. Stop dieting and denying yourself foods if you want them, all that is going to make you do is purge. I learned the hard way after I ate no junk food for a year in high school and 1 bag of m&ms just made me a junk food whore. Try and eat healthier but go slowly and do what you can afford (and will still eat). It's a process and you're not going to do a 180 overnight. Most fad diets/exercise programs are more about making money off the industry so don't even bother anyway, if it's not a lifestyle change, it won't last.

Maybe just get a dog or a bike or just force yourself 30 mins of walking a day for a while before you go on. I used to work out at home with exercises I found on the internet. Baby steps works for most ppl but try and do what you know works best for you because there is not one thing that fits every person. It's just hard figuring out how. Once you get going though don't stop.

Honestly I hate working out and it's work to get me going but you do it regularly enough and it becomes a habit (I hear if you do somethingfor 14 days consec it becomes" a habit, it's just keeping it after that. The biggest problem I have right now is I hate getting up in the morning as ppl say it's the best time to workout and not feel like you're losing your day, I'm too tired after work and none of my friends live near enough to not even have it be a commute to work out. But I've decided no excuses- I will do it, because there' s always a reason unless you want it enough. I wish there was a motivator pill or something but there isn't.

. We're all trying to better ourselves but it's hard sometimes when the pay off is so far but I think of my parents with their many health problems (and they barely drink, don't smoke, never did drugs, aren't that heavy) and I realize I'm either going to pay for it now or later. But later has too much interest for me. Good luck, I will be cheering you on and myself on. We'll see how it goes.

hollaatmegurl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by hollaatmegurl »

Pretty much what everyone else has said. I'm also trying to lose weight, and probably the strongest thing that keeps me motivated is telling myself "okay, I am unhappy with my body right now. If I keep slacking off or continue to do nothing, it will not change. In 3 months I could either be closer to my goal and feeling better about myself, or still be stuck where I am now."

I'm also kind of a loner when it comes to working out. I don't like exercising with other people. But I'd suggest joining myfitnesspal and reading through their forums, I found them insanely helpful and motivational. There are also group things on there where you do your own thing, but weigh in every week or whatever and post measurements, etc. which I really like because it's like group fitness shit without being in an irl group if that makes sense. Plus, they have a lot of before and after threads on there, and they're not like the instagram/tumblr/whatever fitness people - just real people who struggled through it and got where they want to be.

masterofdisaster
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by masterofdisaster »

If you have trouble to find your motivation I think that you have to ask yourself at what point you don't want to look as you look now. You need to figure it out what is important to you: your health, smaller jean's size or anything else.

bloomingpeony
Talker
Talker

Post by bloomingpeony »

I'd recommend having a gym buddy or someone to walk/exercise with. It helps when someone motivates you lol when you're feeling lazy. even walking a bit further (out of your way) then you would normally helps :) don't give up! and try different things like people have mentioned :) I usually do a mixture of yoga, zumba, belly dancing, walking and dancing in general (learning routines).

Layla0606
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Layla0606 »

you can just do workouts from youtube, fitnessblender (as someone already mentioned) is very good, they have a 37 minute cardio workout that I love.
try more types and you will see which one you like more

i like robotic/manly workouts like kickbox and tae-bo a lot more than these girly 'sway them hips, cah cha cha' workouts

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Try joining Weight Watchers. Seriously.

I'm young, and unfortunately gained every pound back I had lost a few years back and soon enough, I was at my heaviest. Went from a size 10/12, Medium, to a size 16 and XXL in a year. I had literally supersized myself. I was so ashamed, I hid...wore the same clothes every day because they had elastic waistbands and they were all that could fit. I wanted to get my life back, and I joined WW and started working out in my local Gym.

I love WW because it allows me to have what I want but in moderation. I'm allowed 28 points a day and it's sort of fun to try and stay within my limit and not go over. I love tracking my exercise too. I HATED exercise and could barely do 20 minutes on the elliptical before giving up winded, but I kept going back day after day, slowing working my way up.

It's been almost 6 months now. Am I exactly where I'm at? Nope, that's why I continue to do it. Am I happier? Yes. Size 16 me is gone and size 12 has returned, almost a 10 now and back to wearing Mediums, going to be purchasing a new bikini soon. I know it's hard to stay motivated but it's fun to see results and see your hard work paying off. Remember that you CAN do it and you're the only reason you're holding back! No one else can do this for you, YOU have to be the change YOU want to see.

choochy
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by choochy »

Very ^^ inspiring Bornthisway94!!

Similar story here. I think sometimes we get such a good momuntum going and when we get our goal, forget how we got there. I'm dealing with that now. I was able to rest on my hard work for a few months and then the momentum left. :( I liked what you said Born because it was about the journey, not the end goal. That is where i am now too, :)
:love2: :love2:

csydneyrun
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by csydneyrun »

When it comes to staying motivated to exercise, I always try to find new work outs that I want to try out for my next workout. Therefore, when it comes time to going to the gym the following day, I am super excited to try out my new exercises. Switching your routine and regimen up definitely makes me motivated because it will never bore me! Also, it really helps when you find a work out buddy that is just as committed as you are! I look more into weight lifting exercises rather than cardio and treadmill workouts which can get boring pretty easily.

Khalia25
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by Khalia25 »

Like another person said, watching videos on YouTube help me. Every night, I watch weight loss transformation videos on YouTube, and when I see some people who have lost over 100 pounds talk about their journey, I get motivated. If some of these girls who started off weighing 300+ pounds can do it, then I surely can get on the treadmill for 30 minutes a day.

Babyjo
Lurker
Lurker

Post by Babyjo »

I only do 3 hour gym sessions a week, but I find having a 'gym partner' really helps.

We'll start off doing some cardio and then hit the mats and do some sit ups/ sqauts to music. It can be fun!! <3

Also, change it up every week! Maybe do an hour of cardio then the next day some weight training. Or mix it up with a class.

I'm a Uk size 8/10 and weight training has definetly toned me up!

nillwatson532
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by nillwatson532 »

It may sound like a no brainer, but the most important tip of them all is to learn to love your body as it is right now.

And as it would be if you gained weight.

Once you love and accept your body (of course this won't be instantaneous and of course you won't feel always confident... self acceptance is a long and difficult path and there will be days of self hatred, but the emphasis is put on the overall attitude you show towards your body).

Then, as the other posters said, it's all about finding the kind of exercise you enjoy.

Sure you may need more work in certain parts of your body, but first and foremost try and discover what exercises you actually enjoy doing.

Working out should NEVER feel like a chore or some unfinished work to do.

Try different kinds of exercise.

Right now I find piloxing (mixture of pilates and boxing) and cardio barre (inspired by ballet exercises) to be fun, not too difficult and, well, enjoyable.

Something that works for me too is starting the day with a little bit of exercise.

It may sound a no-no, but if you devote a tiny amount of time in the morning to working out (10-15 minutes is okay!), you'll feel like you've already accomplished a lot :love2:

Return to “Fitness”