Should I get a new MacBook Pro?

SneezyB
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0

Should I get a new MacBook Pro?

Post by SneezyB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 4:33 am

Hi, I got a MacBook Pro 15" in October 2010 and am thinking about getting a new MacBook Pro 13" but can't decide whether it's worth it and if I should get one now or wait?

My current MacBook has gotten a little slow recently and the battery's condition is "replace soon" (but it's been like this for 6-9 months now) but there is nothing actually wrong with it, but it is nearly 5 years old and my apple education pricing will end next April so want to get a new one with that discount that will again hopefully last me 5-6 years.

The new one would cost me £850 ish but I think I know somewhere that would buy my old one for £200-£300 so roughly an outlay of £600ish! I think the thing that's putting me off is getting a 13", I thought I wouldn't notice the difference but when I went and looked at them I was shocked at how much smaller the 13" ones are but I can't really afford the 15" at like £1200i sh!

Has anyone else downsized from a 15" to a 13", did you get used to it quickly or did you miss the larger screen? or any any advice!

morganrunyon
Support Moddie
Support Moddie
Been thanked: 0

Re: Should I get a new MacBook Pro?

Post by morganrunyon » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:14 pm

You will miss the larger screensize, IMHO. Save up for the 15" .... ?

ThisIsLiss
Lurker
Lurker

Post by ThisIsLiss » Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:23 am

If it being slow is your only problem, do some research and get a SSD (SolidState Drive) and upgrade your RAM.
Do some price checks on these (those are way less expensive when not bought from Apple directly, with Apple you mostly pay for the brand) , and view some videos on how to build those in your computer yourself.

If you still want to get a new one then do so March '16 and save up until then. The upgraded old Mac will have a higher resell value as well.
Small screens suck, especially if you want the 13'' to be your only computer.
(I have two 24'' screens at home, compared to that even my 15'' notebook I use during uni/work sucks :P )

Captain Kjellberg
Learner
Learner

Post by Captain Kjellberg » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:38 am

I would try to work with your MacBook a bit more. Improve your RAM and maybe invest in an external hard drive to store the files you're keeping there and that you don't even use (there are some cheap ones around Amazon, I have a Toshiba Canvio Basics with storage of 500gb) and replace your battery.

Nevertheless, I agree with ThisisLiss, if you want a better one then wait a bit until they sell for cheaper.

ohhaiii
Informer
Informer

Post by ohhaiii » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:54 pm

I went from a 17 inch asus to a 13 inch macbook pro and have never noticed a huge difference in the size

lolaperkins
Talker
Talker

Post by lolaperkins » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:40 pm

I went from a 15" to a 13" Macbook and honestly never really noticed the difference. I think a 13" is a perfect size, not too big and not too small.

And even if you do, you'll most likely stop noticing the difference after a week anyway.

discodoll
Learner
Learner

Post by discodoll » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:24 am

If you are a student looking for a laptop to type up reports and presentations on, browse the web, listen to music, even some photo and video editing work, I think a MacbookAir should be more than enough.

Most people don't need a Pro unless they are editing high volumes of video footage, producing music, running drafting programs, or any other kind of heavy duty software that require the extra power.

SneezyB
Informer
Informer

Post by SneezyB » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:30 pm

discodoll wrote:If you are a student looking for a laptop to type up reports and presentations on, browse the web, listen to music, even some photo and video editing work, I think a MacbookAir should be more than enough.

Most people don't need a Pro unless they are editing high volumes of video footage, producing music, running drafting programs, or any other kind of heavy duty software that require the extra power.
Yeah I thought about getting the air but then was looking at the specifications and for only £130 you get a lot more for the pro, and also i'm a student at the moment but i'm hoping the laptop will last me 5+ years and so I may use it for a job etc.

Bae
Debater
Debater

Post by Bae » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:26 pm

I agree with what discodoll wrote. i had a macbook 2008 model that finally clunked out last August. It still works but is super slow and the keyboard no longer works.

If you're not going to be doing anything that involes a lot of power, a macbook air is the way to go. If you are worried about space get yourself an extrnal hardrive. You can get a 1 or 2 tb drive for around 100 dollars now. I personally use a macbook pro, but I run photoshop, python, matlab, and latex so it just makes it easier.

I do have a friend who codes on a 200 dollar computer so anything is possible. But I would save your money on something else.

Return to “Apple”