Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's Grace (formerly DailyGrace) - Grace Helbig Part 4

Post by whoareguru »

beelzebugs wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:49 am
beelzebugs wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:48 pm
I was watching some videos on the old channel she was contracted with (they really relied on her, wow, she carried the whole thing and they crashed when she left) and the cooking videos then vs the cooking videos now make me so sad. Obviously she's grown and she's a different person, but she seemed to have fun before, and other tubers roughly her age make similar content that still feels like the creator is enjoying it. So many of her current videos are sponsored , and I get it, but they just...don't seem fun anymore. I wonder if she doesn't make enough money elsewhere to take a break for awhile and find her ideal content again? She must..
(the video where she made a cake for her boyfriend reminded me somewhat of them, specifically her FUNFETTI BROWNIES ONE, so I went on a deep dive. Highly recommend)
Quoting my own post here because she just...made a classic grace cooking video?? Do you think grace reads these forums? I feel like a witch. I'm sure she doesn't, but what a coincidence.
Honestly, I thought this exact same thing! I remember someone [you] writing about how great those old cooking vids were compared to her new ones. I actually genuinely enjoyed her most recent video far more than anything she's done in the past year. Granted, It still felt really outdated in terms of content... I would love if she came up with something fresh that she was truly passionate about. I would also like to see her do a video that weren't as contrived, but showing us her genuine life (vlog style?) and just keeping us up to date on whats happening in her life. I used to *love* the Home Buddies series her and Mamrie did around 2012. I tuned into all of them, and I think what I loved so much about them was that I felt like I got to see a bit more of who they really are and it felt like we were hanging out. Same with the podcast, I feel like I am getting a bit more of the personal sides of Mamrie and Grace. However, I can already feel the podcast turning into a structured piece of content that takes away from its authenticity (Nextdoor stories, buzzfeed quizzes, 'overheard' stories). I honestly don't want to hear this formulaic content, I want to hear their regular convo as if they were just hanging out! I also wish they would chime in on bigger things happening in the industry and opinions on other YouTubers/content.

lazygossip
Talker
Talker

Post by lazygossip »

Since you brought it up I just have to say how much I hate the buzzfeed quizzes they do on the podcast and a lot of the time the Nextdoor app stuff just sounds like they're really reaching for content.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Agree generally with above points on the podcast. I don’t mind the odd funny next door segment but agree it’s in danger of becoming forced which isn’t fun. And the buzzfeed quizzes are always dull, they made their point with their absurdity once, repeating it is so unnecessary.

Also agree seeing a more natural side to their personality is key. And that weighing in on the odd bit of YouTube news/ drama wouldn’t hurt. It’s what’s worked for many other creators who have started podcasts. People like to hear the insights of their particular favourites on that sort of thing, which isn’t really discussed across media more widely. Grace and Mamrie could definitely work their niche more.

Abbeygurl4
Learner
Learner

Post by Abbeygurl4 »

I love hearing about Mary on the podcast! I need more MARY

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

space_cadet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by space_cadet »

I know this is Grace's thread, but I don't think there is one for Elliott. WTF happened at The Valleyfolk that they suddenly FIRED Lee Newton??? What assholes!! My initial thought is that they are replacing Lee with Grace, but who knows. It's obvious they are planning to replace Lee with another woman because those three idiot guys are even interesting.

It's really just sad. They seemed to be such close friends—especially Elliott and Lee. Then they just dumped her?!!? The video she made was definitely the more honest of the two explanations. The guys made it seem like she chose to move on. I'm not going to lie: I think it was a sexist and ageist move. They want a younger and "prettier" woman to join the group.

I've never liked Elliott and this makes him seems like an even bigger SHITHEAD!

lovescamel
Talker
Talker

Post by lovescamel »

space_cadet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 am
I know this is Grace's thread, but I don't think there is one for Elliott. WTF happened at The Valleyfolk that they suddenly FIRED Lee Newton??? What assholes!! My initial thought is that they are replacing Lee with Grace, but who knows. It's obvious they are planning to replace Lee with another woman because those three idiot guys are even interesting.

It's really just sad. They seemed to be such close friends—especially Elliott and Lee. Then they just dumped her?!!? The video she made was definitely the more honest of the two explanations. The guys made it seem like she chose to move on. I'm not going to lie: I think it was a sexist and ageist move. They want a younger and "prettier" woman to join the group.

I think their video was very PR, not trying to put blame on anyone. As you should. Lee is out of a job, it would reflect a lot worse on her if they made a video saying that they had to let her go, especially to potential employers. They also seemed pretty blindsided by Lee's video? Which she posted shortly after theirs.. They posted an update, and based on all the comments of their friends an coworkers, there seems to be more than meets the eye when it comes to firing Lee.

I think Bree Essrig mentioned a lawyer being involved, so it's best to wait before drawing your conclusions.. Accusing them firing her to replace her with a younger, 'prettier' woman is really jumping the gun here. They've been friends for many years, something had to have happened for it to go down like this.

space_cadet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by space_cadet »

lovescamel wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:19 am
space_cadet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 am

I think their video was very PR, not trying to put blame on anyone. As you should. Lee is out of a job, it would reflect a lot worse on her if they made a video saying that they had to let her go, especially to potential employers. They also seemed pretty blindsided by Lee's video? Which she posted shortly after theirs.. They posted an update, and based on all the comments of their friends an coworkers, there seems to be more than meets the eye when it comes to firing Lee.

I think Bree Essrig mentioned a lawyer being involved, so it's best to wait before drawing your conclusions.. Accusing them firing her to replace her with a younger, 'prettier' woman is really jumping the gun here. They've been friends for many years, something had to have happened for it to go down like this.
Well, hiring a younger, "prettier" woman is not exactly RARE in Los Angeles. I totally think Lee was blindsided, which is a TERRIBLE way to treat a friend and co-founder of a company. Burning bridges is not a great way to end things.

Elliott, Steve and the other guy are so dull and boring, so I don't see how they'll survive this. Their careers peaked at SourceFed.

A comment about Grace. I think she and Elliott are a perfectly dysfunctional couple. Every podcast she seems to be hungover. Elliott has gone on record as having substance issues. I think they are only together because they can tolerate each other's terrible habits and mental problems. They both seem like they are assholes IRL.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

I might be wrong but hasn’t Eliot been to rehab for alcohol abuse?
I remember when he used to do that series on his channel where he would drink whisky and talk about various subjects. And it was always one of those things where the line between the persona of the sad drunk comedian and real person was blurry, and then I swear in the last video or so he opened up about his divorce and drinking problem. Something like that. Seems like he’s drinking again with grace, plus getting high a lot. I don’t know the details or extent of his issues but it doesn’t seem a great idea...

tchock92
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tchock92 »

Yeah, I have a bad feeling grace will be joining the valley folk. Lee was let go 6 days after they won bring the funny and then they just kept making videos knowing she was already gone. Even trivia bidet which she came up with the concept of. I have been a big fan of lee newton since the sourcefed days and I was subscribed to them still mostly for lee.

rochambeau
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by rochambeau »

Lee and Grace are actually the same age (34) so I don't think it has much to do with wanting someone younger. Who knows what went on behind the scenes but if the rumors about Grace are true then it's probably because Elliot wanted to work with her/help her out and when he tried to implement it he fucked up completely. If she joins there will be a HUGE shitstorm, Lee was very well loved by the fans and they won't be too impressed by someone replacing her.

tchock92
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tchock92 »

56022080-6796-4A62-9683-C1551356FDC9.png
Biggest eye roll ever. That’s your boyfriend of course you’re going to say he’s a good guy. Let’s see what you say when you split up with him.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pious
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by pious »

I was a fan of the original SourceFed, but I don't watch the Valleyfolk (I think Lee is really funny but the other guys--not so much). That said, I don't think they'll be bringing Grace in; that'd just be weird. I don't see Steve and Joe agreeing to it because of what would happen if Grace and Elliott break up.

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

Someone in the YT comments said that Lee unfollowed Steve, but is still following Joe and Elliott. So it seems like Steve seems to be the source of conflict and I doubt Grace has anything to do with this.

And I really doubt Lee has any real fault in whatever happened. If the boys were all trying to sweep this under the rug, it doesn't make a lot of sense for Lee to contradict that if she had something to hide.

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

I think the comments I see where there was some sort of business-y aspect having to do with Rooster Teeth makes sense in my head, and I’m hoping that’s all it is (but if Steve is somehow involved that wouldn’t surprise me, he seems the most volatile of the three guys). I’m a big fan of Lee’s and I’m wrecked for her, she’s been talking about how hard of a time she’s having well before she announced why. That being said, I HIGHLY doubt they’d replace her with Grace, I don’t see Grace fitting well into the ValleyFolk dynamic and her brand of comedy is awkward, not absurd.

MunsterCheese
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by MunsterCheese »

The podcast they released today should've been how they did their statement in the first place.

Something clearly went down, and it kills my nosy ass that we'll never know what it was lol

Hippo
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Hippo »

MunsterCheese wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:38 pm
The podcast they released today should've been how they did their statement in the first place.

Something clearly went down, and it kills my nosy ass that we'll never know what it was lol
Well, that was certainly better than the last thing they tried. But Elliott and Joe really should have told Steve to speak as little as possible.

They almost painted a remorseful and reasonable picture, but as soon as theyd almost convince me Steve would come in with his indoor sunglasses and gross energy.

The fact that Lee only unfollowed him and the fact he didn't seem to be sorry (if anything he seems to think this is all an annoyance) and kept trying to push the we should all love on narrative from their first video, I'm guessing that his & Lee's relationship got to the point that they were no longer able to work together and the other two chose him over her.

(To keep this somewhat on topic, Elliott has picked up some of Grace's vocal mannerisms and I found it sort of disconcerting.)

space_cadet
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by space_cadet »

They really are a dysfunctional couple. Her video today was pointless and they were both drinking. They really don't produce any quality content anymore. Grace was really cool back in the day, but now she's a washed up DRUNK.

peeeepins
Informer
Informer

Post by peeeepins »

Omg reading these hot takes from people who have no idea about the people involved was a wild ride lmao. First of all, Joe created Trivia Bidet, that’s his thing, Lee just hosted it. Steve’s girlfriend Alana already responded to the absolutely insane theory that one of the guys’ girlfriends would ‘replace’ Lee with a big old “No, never happening”. And Steve exuding anxious energy because that’s how he’s coping doesn’t make him a bad guy. Whatever the issue is seems to have been ongoing and maybe the stress of the NBC show was the straw that broke the camel’s back which sucks for all parties. But we do not exist in a world where these three guys would dump their friend of almost a decade for “someone prettier” (also, have you seen Lee? She’s gorgeous?). I understand the need to see things in black and white and decide there’s a bad guy, but that’s not actually how the world works 80% of the time. All 4 are hurting and 1 is out of a job which definitely sucks for her. But if they knew firing her could literally end their business and decided they had to do it anyway, then shit was obviously not working behind the scenes. If you don’t like them/their personalities/their content, then obviously feel free not to watch, that’s cool. But they’re all very talented and funny in their own ways and I’m sure all 4 will land on their feet.

ANYWAY, I thought Grace’s vid with Elliott was very cute (same with his previous vid about her asking him about his stand-up special), they’re cute, them together makes me happy.
my watermelon ball brings all the :purr: to the yard and they're like meow meow meow meow

peeeepins
Informer
Informer

Post by peeeepins »

Ahhh sorry to double-post, but I just remembered another thing lol: Elliott's never been to rehab. He once posted a video saying he was going to cut back on drinking. Or fully stop for a period of time? I forget the exact details, but he's discussed it since and said he was over-correcting for something that wasn't even an issue, or something like that. And also Rooster Teeth has no input in how they run their company- the 3 guys took full responsibility for making the Lee decision on their own. I doubt anybody here is all that invested in the details, clearly, but all the misinformation doesn't help things.
my watermelon ball brings all the :purr: to the yard and they're like meow meow meow meow

tchock92
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tchock92 »

AE6CE5EF-B1EA-4D1B-B2B2-02F00B2C1536.png
I don’t get this, Elliot asked her what she was going to do and she said shower and she made this face. What grown woman doesn’t like showering
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “itsgrace”