It's Grace (formerly DailyGrace) - Grace Helbig Part 4

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: It's Grace (formerly DailyGrace) - Grace Helbig Part 4

Post by horatio »

Eliot used to do a bit on his channel where he drank a glass of whisky and did a monologue like stand up, i cant remember what it was called. Anyone know?
I actually discovered it after he collaborated with grace back in the day. His whole persona was 'disheveled drunk' and you could tell it wasn't entirely put on. It was quite good though. I never would have guessed he was dead religious.

tchock92
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tchock92 »

Yoona wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 am
He's become a barely functioning alcoholic that apparently thinks drinking and driving is fine, a pothead which I don't care about but it does go hand in hand with his issues, somehow even more close-minded and conservative than he was on SourceFed yet more liberal as well which is a dichotomy I don't understand. Since I'm an old SourceFed stan (and still watch old videos because they're still more entertaining than most of the trash on Youtube these days) I watch everything The Valleyfolk put out and when he's not acting he's just rather miserable, has no patience and never seems like he wants to be there on the podcasts. He shuts Lee down every time she brings up feminist issues as well which is beyond a red flag and I don't get how they've remained close over the years. I've said it before but I don't see what he and Grace have in common besides drinking and not understanding pop culture references because they don't watch anything.
I watch old table talks when I’m bored, but yes I know what you mean about him and lee.

tchock92
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tchock92 »

flipflopsandsocks50 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:56 am
Yoona wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 am
He's become a barely functioning alcoholic that apparently thinks drinking and driving is fine, a pothead which I don't care about but it does go hand in hand with his issues, somehow even more close-minded and conservative than he was on SourceFed yet more liberal as well which is a dichotomy I don't understand. Since I'm an old SourceFed stan (and still watch old videos because they're still more entertaining than most of the trash on Youtube these days) I watch everything The Valleyfolk put out and when he's not acting he's just rather miserable, has no patience and never seems like he wants to be there on the podcasts. He shuts Lee down every time she brings up feminist issues as well which is beyond a red flag and I don't get how they've remained close over the years. I've said it before but I don't see what he and Grace have in common besides drinking and not understanding pop culture references because they don't watch anything.
was he married at one point in time? i feel like i remember reading that on here a while ago. i think i'll always have a soft spot for grace because she was the first youtuber i really loved starting back in like 2010 but it's been hard to see her struggle as yet another OG youtuber who has lost popularity with the rise of all the gen-z youtubers and she's so burnt out. i enjoy the podcast because i like hearing them talk uncensored but all the drinking is really concerning...but also mamrie is usually the one who runs the pod and then grace just like springbroads off of her lol
Yes, he was married to a woman named Tiffany for quite some time, she still goes by Morgan.

lovescamel
Talker
Talker

Post by lovescamel »

lol I of course had to google his ex and found this
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/a ... -show.html

pious
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by pious »

lovescamel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:36 am
:rofl: I have to watch this later. http://www.eonline.com/watch/revenge-bo ... 3144387903

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

lovescamel wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:36 am
I was aware of her appearance on the show but that picture of an entirely dejected Elliott made me literally laugh at my phone like a crazy person. I will say though that I appreciate the friendship that he’s taken up with Grace’s dog, at least Goose seems to like him a lot. I never really saw Brooks interact with her so I dunno if Goose liked that boyfriend much but I always consider that a big indicator of whether or not two people should date, if the person’s pets like the other person.

emlymln
Lurker
Lurker

Post by emlymln »

I’ve been watching grace long enough to still be thrown off when she mentions a boyfriend by name, let alone whatever that cupcake video was. I just really miss her old style.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Ha right ? She seems quite besotted - the amount she mentions him on this might get weird...
But to see actual on screen affection. She looked a bit uncomfortable about it, or at least shy, to be fair. But even keeping it in is a big deal for her for sure.

tchock92
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tchock92 »

emlymln wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:28 am
I’ve been watching grace long enough to still be thrown off when she mentions a boyfriend by name, let alone whatever that cupcake video was. I just really miss her old style.
I would have liked to have seen Scotty in her videos.

nowherewarm
Learner
Learner

Post by nowherewarm »

His voice was in a couple videos IIRC.
I'll take grace putting "Elliot" in the video title over "my boyfriend" like she did with brooks anyday.

On a different note, I did not hate the videos she's been putting up in the last couple of years THAT much, but these reality TV reviews chats whatever? Good God. Can we just have the fashion reviews back.

ParisianDoll
Informer
Informer

Post by ParisianDoll »

I actually kind of enjoyed the stupidness of the vsco video. Like, it was low effort and kind of boring but she actually looked like she was having FUN with it and had some energy that isn't just awkwardness, which I definitely miss from her content. Plus I'm not too into "celebrity" relationships but the way her face gets when she looks at him gives me a case of the aww's.

whoareguru
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by whoareguru »

I remember when I first started watching Grace back in 2011, she could do no wrong. I absolutely loved her and went to multiple live shows, bought her merch, etc... and I have never found another YouTuber that I invested in to that level. I even remember closely counting down to her new channel in the beginning of January 2014, and saw 2 Million + fans follow her from DailyGrace to ItsGrace (obviously a very committed fan base at the time!).

Now, 5 years later... I feel like she's completely lost that charm and I can't really figure out what happened. I stopped watching her channel in 2016, but was still quietly rooting for her. I now listen to the podcast. I used to envy Mamrie and Grace's friendship and loved them both so much, and now they definitely don't have that pull on my anymore. If anything, I find they are off-putting.

I'm curious what everyones thoughts are on this? Can you pinpoint a time when Grace changed? What do you think it is that used to make her so charming/lovable that isn't there anymore? I'm just curious because I really can't put my finger on it, and it makes me sad because I do want to still like her as much as I used to!

FYI for context, I'm 30 so I'm in their age demo.

lazygossip
Talker
Talker

Post by lazygossip »

I can relate to your whole post. At one point in time Grace was my favorite youtuber but now the only content of hers I can consume is the podcast with Mamrie. I liked Not Too Deep for the first few years but anything lately I can't listen to. And then I will watch any video that Grace, Mamrie, and Hannah do together for nostalgia sake. But for me I think that after her tv show didn't do well she got very very bitter and it took all the wind out of her sails and she's never been the same since.

She comes across to me as very unhappy and I just can't relate and it's not fun to watch.

I did get to see them live on their recent tour and they were both lovely and funny irl but on camera these days I can't do it.

wifimaterial
Learner
Learner

Post by wifimaterial »

I really relate to this and am 31. Grace was one of the first Youtubers I binged, but then dropped off around 2017 and I’ve been following her here and there but definitely noticed a change in recent years. I have actually been surprised by how casually she talks about drinking excessively (“tie one on”), being hungover, and I have to say in recent podcasts sounding hungover too. Each week it sounds like she didn’t get up to much but drink?Mamrie really carries the podcast IMO. I’m unsure if it was the TV show or the breakup with Chester, or the fact that she had to rebuild from zero when she went from Daily Grace to itsgrace, but I really lost the connection to her videos

Chuchi
Informer
Informer

Post by Chuchi »

I agree with everyone here. I am a little younger (27) and I used to enjoy Grace's content a lot, but now I feel sorry for her. Instead of growing up with her audience, she keeps making content to attract 15 year olds and the older she gets, the sadder it seems to me. To me the big change was when she broke up with Chester, and specially the whole 24/7 drunk life she had with Brooks (and now it's quite the same with Elliot). I just can't relate with anything she says or does.

tadahhhhh
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by tadahhhhh »

Same here. I used to love watching Grace back in the day. I thought she was funny and talented and really likeable too. Then I remember watching her show on E! and thinking how bad it was. She had no charisma at all and seemed really out of her depth. I think Grace works best when she has other people like Hannah or Mamrie to bounce off of, because on her own she just isn't funny. Her YouTube content has been very stale for a long time and it's obvious that she's over it. It's the same with Jenna Marbles. I used to love Jenna too and I thought she was really smart and funny but now it's clear she's tired of YouTube but what else can she do? It's like these OG YouTubers get stuck - they can't move on because they don't have the talent to do anything else but they're bored of YouTube so all they can do churn out the occasional video.

I like the podcast with Mamrie but it is weird watching women in their mid-30s talk about booze and drugs like college students. I honestly have no idea how either of them manage to drink so much. I'm the same age as Grace and I love a glass of wine but there's no way I can do shots anymore or get wasted. My body just can't tolerate alcohol like it did when I was younger, and honestly I'm glad. It's nice to party when you're 21 but when you're 34? Isn't that kinda sad? I don't know...maybe it's their lifestyle. If I had no real job and didn't have to get out bed until noon most days, then maybe I'd be drunk all the time too.

I liked Grace's podcast with Chelsea Handler, I thought she handled that like a pro. Curious to see how things pan out with Elliot. They don't seem like they have anything in common besides drinking but who knows. Isn't he living with her now? She seems to go from 0-100 with these guys and then wonders why it's all over in a couple of years.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

I am also 30 and a former big fan - she definitely used to hit that target demographic well. I got into her slightly late at the tail end of 2012 around her move to LA. Looking back the content dipped slightly then but there were still some classics. After the channel switch tho it was a speedy decline and yes the tv show muddied the waters further.

Daily Grace was such a good format for her, and it obviously kept her busy and creatively stimulated. She’s really been flailing to a greater or lesser extent since, in my view. I also enjoy TMGW, it makes me smile, but agree that Mamrie usually carries it (tho not so much on the live shows - perhaps the adrenaline perks her up. Whereas she often seems lethargic and hungover on the regular records as people say)

I will always have a soft spot for her though. Some of the classic daily grace videos are so bizarrely off the wall and great.

sone0408
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by sone0408 »

I’m 24 so a bit younger than you all, I’ve watched Grace since New York and have always rooted for her. I agree that her content declined around the failure of her late night show. I think that sent her into a super depressive state which is understandable but afterwards she started treating her channel like a joke. No consistent schedule that lasted more than a couple of weeks. I also think that’s when her drinking got out of hand because she no longer had anything to fill her days with and the failure of her show killed her motivation. It’s super sad really, every time she posts one of those update videos i think she’s finally going to get help but alas thats never the case

whoareguru
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by whoareguru »

Okay wow! So interesting to hear that a lot of you feel similarly. I never even thought about the TV show having an impact, but I think that might be where the shift really happened. I also agree with the point that her content shifted after she moved to LA. I definitely think Grace was at her best in Brooklyn.

I remember when I used to watch her I was in limbo between university and grad school, was in a lot of debt, and had no idea what I was doing with my life. To watch Grace in New York going through the same thing felt so comforting and relatable because it was refreshing to see a real person exposing all these vulnerabilities about being in your mid 20s. But then a few years passed and I finished my MBA and got a good job, and at the same time Grace was moving forward in life as well - a house, new boyfriend, dog, more money, etc. However her content was still so focused on acting like she ~didn't have her life together~ and ~omg I'm quirky and don't shower~. I wish she'd leaned into the fact that things were going well for her, and that life was changing... even when things are going well in life there is chaos and humor that comes with that territory. She definitely could have created content while also growing up. Seeing her move up in the world but pretend that she was still just like she was when she lived in Brooklyn came off as disingenuous, and I think thats where she lost me.

whoareguru
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by whoareguru »

Okay wow! So interesting to hear that a lot of you feel similarly. I never even thought about the TV show having an impact, but I think that might be where the shift really happened. I also agree with the point that her content shifted after she moved to LA. I definitely think Grace was at her best in Brooklyn.

I remember when I used to watch her I was in limbo between university and grad school, was in a lot of debt, and had no idea what I was doing with my life. To watch Grace in New York going through the same thing felt so comforting and relatable because it was refreshing to see a real person exposing all these vulnerabilities about being in your mid 20s. But then a few years passed and I finished my MBA and got a good job, and at the same time Grace was moving forward in life as well - a house, new boyfriend, dog, more money, etc. However her content was still so focused on acting like she ~didn't have her life together~ and ~omg I'm quirky and don't shower~. I wish she'd leaned into the fact that things were going well for her, and that life was changing... even when things are going well in life there is chaos and humor that comes with that territory. She definitely could have created content while also growing up. Seeing her move up in the world but pretend that she was still just like she was when she lived in Brooklyn came off as disingenuous, and I think thats where she lost me.

Return to “itsgrace”