Connor (YawnYoutuberAward) Franta Part 4

loxias
Lurker
Lurker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Connor (YawnYoutuberAward) Franta Part 4

Post by loxias » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:53 pm

I'm happy I never really liked Troye's personality, because "the good side" is really cruel. "And I sympathize...", he sings... Yeah, you bet...Even the comments Troye made about the song are ironic and filled with lowkey nastiness.

("This song’s a little rough. It’s basically about a breakup that I went through a while ago. You know, in a breakup, I think just the sheer nature of it, is that someone is going to get it rough. And I happened to be on the good side of things — I got to go on tour, I got to go and see the world, I had this very therapeutic experience of singing songs about that breakup and watching people sing them back to me, and I met someone new fairly soon afterwards. It’s sort of a letter to that person to express apologies and sympathy and if I could change this at all, I would’ve. So I’m hoping that this song, a couple years down the line, is going to serve as a cathartic experience for the both of us to be like, ‘look, this is the way that things happened and whenever we’re ready to move on, let’s do that.")

I don't get how Troye's fans cheer like sentimental idiots, unable to see that this song, despite its corny arrangement & tone, is pure spitefulness and mockery. It's not musically unpleasant, and it's true that breakups can result in this kind of things, but gosh, Troye, this is so snarky and evil. Using the past like that, sending that kind of messages, in public, what's more...

"The change in the wind took you down to your knees
I got the good side of you
Send it out into the blue
The people danced to the sound of your heart
The world sang along to it falling apart"

What a precious friend you are, Troye...

The funny thing is that this kind of missiles happen when a lot of fans don't even know they used to date. They used to play with the private-but-not-so-much aspect of their relationship...Well, seems like Connor is getting the bitter part of it now.

alexisrenee
Learner
Learner

Post by alexisrenee » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:12 pm

^ Agreed. I guess it's not totally fair to judge since we don't know exactly what happened between them, but I still think that was kinda shitty of Troye. I get that musicians/artists take inspiration from their life experiences for their work; it just rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe Troye is being sincere and actually meant it as an apology of sorts, but it just doesn't come off that way to me. I think i'm just imagining how much that has to sting to hear from your ex, knowing it's about you. If I were Connor, I'd probably be extremely embarrassed. The song is just very condescending, in my opinion.

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:37 pm

loxias wrote:I'm happy I never really liked Troye's personality, because "the good side" is really cruel. "And I sympathize...", he sings... Yeah, you bet...Even the comments Troye made about the song are ironic and filled with lowkey nastiness.

I don't get how Troye's fans cheer like sentimental idiots, unable to see that this song, despite its corny arrangement & tone, is pure spitefulness and mockery. It's not musically unpleasant, and it's true that breakups can result in this kind of things, but gosh, Troye, this is so snarky and evil. Using the past like that, sending that kind of messages, in public, what's more...
right? lmao, he's so transparent. it's pretty clear it's a mean-spirited song with kindergarten-level condescending lyrics spattered throughout it.

i think his dumbass fans don't realize this because most of them are so young. they probably haven't really experienced much of a relationship so they take him at his word when he says it's an apology. it's a mean thing to do and he knows it and i'm sure connor knows this as well. anyone who dates a douche like him is either just like him or better off without him and i'm gonna guess and give the benefit of the doubt that it's the latter. what a prickish song.

loxias
Lurker
Lurker

Post by loxias » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:13 am

The song is basically saying "You failed, I won, your life sucks, mine rocks to the point it's incredible, and look ! Your bleeding heart, I used it to make me popular." I mean, he really sings that he used his album Blue Neighbourhood, that "the people danced to the sound of your heart, the world sang along to it falling apart" and that he did not call 'cause "it would not be fair". And can we talk about "Then I got the good side of new / Found arms to fall right into" ? :lol:

It's true that Connor was not an angel himself, I remember he wrote "it must hurt to know i was your first everything for everything now is sloppy seconds" (he also wrote that he was totally broken-hearted "after being broken up with", and "once a lover, forever a friend"). But on the whole I think Troye gives a distinct impression that he's very cold-hearted and strangely enough, he seems to me that he knows more what he's doing than Connor when he sends that kind of unfriendly fire. Connor looks to me like he's the more sentimental / confused of the 2, even if he *looks* more mature.

Anyways, (and as someone who has had some difficult breakups :lol: ), I can say that Troye's song looks more like rubbing salt in a wound that apologizing. But I agree that to young and inexperienced fanboys and fangirls the message can be unclear. I read that the line about how Troye left him with "both of the rings", suggesting that they were engaged (which I think they weren't, so that's quite funny), gave off a douchebaggery vibe though :p

...Cynically, we could say drama is not such a bad thing for Connor, after all for a man who is so in touch with his emotions, drama is better than pure boredom x) And jerk-y exes always teach you something. Paradoxically, that kind of knife in the back can help grow emotionally stronger - and wiser. And maybe it's better to have a message from someone you love than no message at all - it shows they still care, although in a messed-up way.
But perhaps a call would have been better, Troye :p

More seriously, yeah, I think he knows what he's doing, and that he's cold. That's the impression I got of him a few years ago when he was vlogging on Youtube anyways. He always seemed guarded, calculated and discreetly sarcastic. I know everyone on Youtube is putting on a show, but I prefer warmer and less spiky/ snaky personalities.

Tronnor may have been cute and interesting, but in all fairness I don't think Troye was the right guy for someone like Connor, even if they probably have some unforgettable memories together and blablabla.

(this thread rises from the ashes ! :lol: )

prctentious
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by prctentious » Sat Feb 17, 2018 11:09 am

omg, lmao, that's a fucking rude ass lyric. what a shithead.
loxias wrote:I think Troye gives a distinct impression that he's very cold-hearted and strangely enough, he seems to me that he knows more what he's doing than Connor when he sends that kind of unfriendly fire. Connor looks to me like he's the more sentimental / confused of the 2, even if he *looks* more mature.
this is what i thought as well. troye seems like a mean person and doesn't know how to reconcile a lot of things in his life and relationship. it's wild that i ever thought he was a nice dude - if he thought this was any sort of "apology" (and god knows he didn't think it was one), he's just fucking cruel. i'm totally with you on bad relationships can teach you things but i think this takes it a step too far, hahaha. i'd prefer my lessons lowkey and not being broadcast (badly) on snl. :rofl:

i really want to know what you picked up on when troye was on youtube that you got that vibe because i feel like i should've seen it coming but i totally didn't.

loxias
Lurker
Lurker

Post by loxias » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Honestly, I did like some of Troye's videos, I remember I did have 2 or 3 sessions of binge-watching his collabs or most popular videos, for example. I also liked to watch the vlogs when they all traveled together, I remember they visited Italy (there was the British crew, Connor, Troye, also Tyler I think...)

I can't pinpoint, especially after all these years, which video gave me the "cold" vibe :p I think it's the whole way he acts in front of the camera, the way he talks / looks at people. It's the body language and the way he speaks, perhaps even more that the fact he did not buoyantly share love with his viewers - which is no crime. I always had the feeling he was a little condescending, second-guessing people, acting a little bit in a diva way (haughty, although perhaps not in a blatant way). Perhaps he just reminded me some people I knew :lol: A lot of people tend to show similar patterns, your brain classifies them without even analyzing consciously x) I think it may also be more the things / words Troye didn't do or say that the things / words he did or say. He just tended to look more reserved, more in his ivory tower than others. We know that Youtube was not his passion, that his passion was music, and becoming famous through music. I feel like he never was totally genuine with his viewers, or totally loving with his fans. And the way he behaves now, with this song that tells only some veiled truths about his past relationship (a relationship he and Connor kept a secret), confirms he's someone of contorted ways. But you could see, in my opinion, long before that, that he was someone who kept a lot of thoughts to himself. Even when he was with his friends and all the hoopla, I had the impression he was, like, guarded. In some videos you could see him wholeheartedly smiling and happy, but I don't remember that it was the most common thing. Besides, his content was a little strange sometimes - I mean, I couldn't remember exactly his humor, but sometimes it was strange, like him laughing manically over simple things...

Riz
Informer
Informer

Post by Riz » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:37 am

stlkr wrote:There are rumors he's dating Jon Cozart though but i doubt it, they seem too buddy-buddy and jokey.
Um, this is new. Where does the rumor come from? (I thought Jon Cozart was straight?) :0

I don't think I have ever seen them interact on camera except at the Streamy awards and a few posts and stories on insta

stlkr
Learner
Learner

Post by stlkr » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:16 pm

Riz wrote:
stlkr wrote:There are rumors he's dating Jon Cozart though but i doubt it, they seem too buddy-buddy and jokey.
Um, this is new. Where does the rumor come from? (I thought Jon Cozart was straight?) :0

I don't think I have ever seen them interact on camera except at the Streamy awards and a few posts and stories on insta
Jon is openly bisexual (I think he came out on Instagram or twitter, very casually). And the rumor is just based on them not being straight and hanging out quite often.

JuniperJones
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by JuniperJones » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:11 pm

I just happened to see a Connor Franta video being advertised on the side of my YouTube window... my god, how is it possible that he "Hold My Beer"'d himself on outdoing his own boring content?
When life gives you lemons, give 'em back and say "Fuck you, life!!!"

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:54 pm

This thread is deader than Connor's career.

larrie
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by larrie » Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:10 am

I wonder what he does now. Does he get enough views to make a living? Time to get a 9-5 :rofl:

lala66
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by lala66 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:28 pm

as it is in la the more famous person get the frds

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:35 pm

Yawn at his so-called career, but has he been rumored to be dating anyone since Troye? I remember there was some "suspicious" ig post a while back that quickly got debunked as a "friend".

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:24 pm

larrie wrote:I wonder what he does now. Does he get enough views to make a living? Time to get a 9-5 :rofl:
He doesn’t seem to be in a rush to be making content , I’m guessing he made so much money in the good old days and doesn’t really need to work or worry about running out of it - yet. Though he is still doing audible promos.

WentworthSeb
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by WentworthSeb » Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:49 pm

It is quite strange how he has mismanaged his whole YT career. He did have a great idea with his own site and branding various things under the name 'Common Culture'. But are YT viewers going to buy coffee, some clothes and compilation music vinyls?

He is sympathetic but I would say he is just another YT failure who had his moment between 2012-2015 and has crashed and burnt. And no - the adsense has never been so much as to live the rest of your life with what one earned in a couple of years.

TheBasicBitch
Talker
Talker

Post by TheBasicBitch » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:46 am

He looks like a creepy thirty-something that tries way too hard to look 19. Also, how boring can you be.

Kokopelli96
Learner
Learner

Post by Kokopelli96 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:06 pm

I really like Connor...I think he's a good person.

I don't think he has "crashed and burnt" as a youtuber - rather, it's just the nature of the fandom/idol (personality) business. His core audience was 12-16...when they grew up (got their driver license, graduated high school, etc.) they move on to different things. When a youtuber explodes (as in the cases of Connor, Tyler, British crew, etc.), they usually have 18-36 months of relevancy, where everything they touch turns to gold...and then an inevitable decline. To remain relevant, a youtuber must have more than just a cute face and a bubbly personality. Even then, these "more talented" youtubers must change and adapt to continue to thrive. Shane, iJustine, etc, are rare examples of people that were able to re-invent themselves. On the other hand, Connor (he admitted by his choosing) did not adapt, chase after trends, or change with the time.

When he was super popular (2013-2015), I liked most of his videos then (actually I like his recent videos even more now). However, back then, I didn't care for his cringey, super obvious money-grabbing sponsored videos. Very little thoughts and efforts went into making them. Making money was so easy, he probably thought that the gravy train will go on for much longer, and that eventually he'll turn into a lifestyle guru like Martha Stewart, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc...and started licensing everything that he can get his hands on. That written, I probably would have thought the same way, and did the same things if I was in his position.

And good for him, taking advantage of his fame has made him a multi-millionaire. He owns his own home, has a nest egg for retirement, travels like a mad man, and probably only need to work to pay for daily expenses and doesn't have to worry about money, or have to save up for "rainy days." Now, at his own pace, he can leisurely think about his next move, career, life endeavor, whatever. Kudos to him, how many people in their mid-twenties can say that?

I also think that after Troye broke up with him, he was emotionally crippled and still (3 years later) has not fully recovered. He's drifting...and of course, a decline in popularity and income didn't help. On top of that, Troye is thriving, much more successful, and so public (in pictures and in songs) about his relationship with a model. I feel really bad for Connor...while suffering, having to put on a public "happy face," dealing with the daily online reminders about his ex, and getting shit from the stupid and insensitive tronnor/tracob fandoms. I don't blame him for being sad, I too would be depressed and suicidal.

On the post-tronnor romantic front, I had a hunch (just a hunch based on his and others' social media feeds) that he had dated Raymond Braun and Jon Cozart...none of that had worked out...obviously.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:21 pm

Yeah you have to feel bad for him with regards to Troye. His first big romance after coming out, who broke his heart... and the ex then goes on to be a really successful pop star, basically shed the YouTuber image entirely - which as we have seen is not easy - many have tried and most have failed. Meanwhile Connor, who was once a king of YT has a floundering career while Troye is doing well enough that even being successful on YouTube is below him. It really couldn’t be worse. But at least he seems rich enough to not have to work much while he wallows instead of doing loads of embarrassing ads. But for how long?

candyg12
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by candyg12 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:13 pm

As sad as it is, it's the nature of Youtubers. Even the relevant ones currently only have 3 years max before becoming irrelevant. That's why they grab as much money as they can at their peak. Otherwise, you need to adapt and it's not easy. In 2 years, the new audience will demand different things and new fresh faces will fulfill that.
Connor's downfall as a youtuber ironically was beginning after coming out. He hid the relationship and people became distant with him. After breaking up with Troye, he has not recovered ever since.

Cheesey
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Cheesey » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:27 pm

He seems like a very nice person (correct me if im wrong) but his youtube career cannot be salvaged

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:25 pm

Yeah probably too nice for YouTube these days.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:39 pm

[youtube][/youtube]

There is no tea with Connor and they invite him whenever they all do stuff together is the biggest takeaway from this video, but they do not talk to him that often.

illegal_mind
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by illegal_mind » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:44 pm

ItsAndrew wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

There is no tea with Connor and they invite him whenever they all do stuff together is the biggest takeaway from this video, but they do not talk to him that often.
i wouldn't say there's no tea. there's some tea. you could take a sip if your mouth was feeling dry.
he avoids interacting with them. they invite him to all the stuff they do together and he always declines or doesn't even bother rspv'ing
The Internet knows all your secrets

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio » Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:52 pm

I think he just outgrew them. He’s reasonably intelligent and seems pleasant - not how I would describe anyone from o2l , athough I haven’t watched them in years (do they still make videos?!)
They provided good cover when he was still in the closet but once he came out he really didn’t need to hang out with guys like that...maybe he left before coming out I can’t quite remember but it was still the same principle - he eventually stopped pretending to be something he wasn’t .

Lake
Learner
Learner

Post by Lake » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:32 pm

Return to “Connor Franta”