Connor (YawnYoutuberAward) Franta Part 4

TheBasicBitch
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Connor (YawnYoutuberAward) Franta Part 4

Post by TheBasicBitch »

He looks like a creepy thirty-something that tries way too hard to look 19. Also, how boring can you be.

Kokopelli96
Learner
Learner

Post by Kokopelli96 »

I really like Connor...I think he's a good person.

I don't think he has "crashed and burnt" as a youtuber - rather, it's just the nature of the fandom/idol (personality) business. His core audience was 12-16...when they grew up (got their driver license, graduated high school, etc.) they move on to different things. When a youtuber explodes (as in the cases of Connor, Tyler, British crew, etc.), they usually have 18-36 months of relevancy, where everything they touch turns to gold...and then an inevitable decline. To remain relevant, a youtuber must have more than just a cute face and a bubbly personality. Even then, these "more talented" youtubers must change and adapt to continue to thrive. Shane, iJustine, etc, are rare examples of people that were able to re-invent themselves. On the other hand, Connor (he admitted by his choosing) did not adapt, chase after trends, or change with the time.

When he was super popular (2013-2015), I liked most of his videos then (actually I like his recent videos even more now). However, back then, I didn't care for his cringey, super obvious money-grabbing sponsored videos. Very little thoughts and efforts went into making them. Making money was so easy, he probably thought that the gravy train will go on for much longer, and that eventually he'll turn into a lifestyle guru like Martha Stewart, Gwyneth Paltrow, etc...and started licensing everything that he can get his hands on. That written, I probably would have thought the same way, and did the same things if I was in his position.

And good for him, taking advantage of his fame has made him a multi-millionaire. He owns his own home, has a nest egg for retirement, travels like a mad man, and probably only need to work to pay for daily expenses and doesn't have to worry about money, or have to save up for "rainy days." Now, at his own pace, he can leisurely think about his next move, career, life endeavor, whatever. Kudos to him, how many people in their mid-twenties can say that?

I also think that after Troye broke up with him, he was emotionally crippled and still (3 years later) has not fully recovered. He's drifting...and of course, a decline in popularity and income didn't help. On top of that, Troye is thriving, much more successful, and so public (in pictures and in songs) about his relationship with a model. I feel really bad for Connor...while suffering, having to put on a public "happy face," dealing with the daily online reminders about his ex, and getting shit from the stupid and insensitive tronnor/tracob fandoms. I don't blame him for being sad, I too would be depressed and suicidal.

On the post-tronnor romantic front, I had a hunch (just a hunch based on his and others' social media feeds) that he had dated Raymond Braun and Jon Cozart...none of that had worked out...obviously.

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Yeah you have to feel bad for him with regards to Troye. His first big romance after coming out, who broke his heart... and the ex then goes on to be a really successful pop star, basically shed the YouTuber image entirely - which as we have seen is not easy - many have tried and most have failed. Meanwhile Connor, who was once a king of YT has a floundering career while Troye is doing well enough that even being successful on YouTube is below him. It really couldn’t be worse. But at least he seems rich enough to not have to work much while he wallows instead of doing loads of embarrassing ads. But for how long?

candyg12
Wallflower
Wallflower

Post by candyg12 »

As sad as it is, it's the nature of Youtubers. Even the relevant ones currently only have 3 years max before becoming irrelevant. That's why they grab as much money as they can at their peak. Otherwise, you need to adapt and it's not easy. In 2 years, the new audience will demand different things and new fresh faces will fulfill that.
Connor's downfall as a youtuber ironically was beginning after coming out. He hid the relationship and people became distant with him. After breaking up with Troye, he has not recovered ever since.

Cheesey
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cheesey »

He seems like a very nice person (correct me if im wrong) but his youtube career cannot be salvaged

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Yeah probably too nice for YouTube these days.

ItsAndrew
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by ItsAndrew »

[youtube][/youtube]

There is no tea with Connor and they invite him whenever they all do stuff together is the biggest takeaway from this video, but they do not talk to him that often.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

ItsAndrew wrote:[youtube][/youtube]

There is no tea with Connor and they invite him whenever they all do stuff together is the biggest takeaway from this video, but they do not talk to him that often.
i wouldn't say there's no tea. there's some tea. you could take a sip if your mouth was feeling dry.
he avoids interacting with them. they invite him to all the stuff they do together and he always declines or doesn't even bother rspv'ing
The Internet knows all your secrets

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

I think he just outgrew them. He’s reasonably intelligent and seems pleasant - not how I would describe anyone from o2l , athough I haven’t watched them in years (do they still make videos?!)
They provided good cover when he was still in the closet but once he came out he really didn’t need to hang out with guys like that...maybe he left before coming out I can’t quite remember but it was still the same principle - he eventually stopped pretending to be something he wasn’t .

Lake
Learner
Learner

Post by Lake »

horatio
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by horatio »

Eh? What’s he actually saying? Is this because of the video ?
I hate it when YouTubers have these long rambling rants on social media in response to some kind of controversy. No doubt only to delete them at some point. It’s so indulgent.

Lake
Learner
Learner

Post by Lake »

Yes, it's because of that video.

illegal_mind
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by illegal_mind »

he could've been a bit less cryptic.
i saw the tweets before even knowing there was a video and was super confused. thought it was some type of new years venting.
it's not like he made one single tweet about it because he wanted to keep it short. he made a thread, and at any point in that thread he could've just said it was about the video
The Internet knows all your secrets

Kokopelli96
Learner
Learner

Post by Kokopelli96 »

Wow, those tweets (if they were about the o2l collabs)...for Connor's sake, I hope he was just being over dramatic. But I'm afraid not, he's way more emotionally fragile than I thought...poor guy.

Regarding the collabs, I thought the boys were cordial towards him and his absence...I didn't sense any malicious intents in their comments. The viewers' comments on the other hand, were a different story...

But if I were Connor, I wouldn't show up either...They acted like a bunch of wild teenagers (I know it's their brand)...but still. 2018-Connor would just be so awkwardly out of place trying to fit in. During Ricky's carpool video (from 3:30 to 3:50), Trevor flat out called Kian and Sam "homophobic f*cking *ssholes." Connor is an introspective and sensitive guy...if he has a choice, why would he want to put himself in this toxic environment (even if he has no beef against any of the guys)?

Kokopelli96
Learner
Learner

Post by Kokopelli96 »

Just wondering...as a board, have you guys discussed the Tronnor-to-Tracob timeline?

These were what I was able to gathered from several of Troye's Bloom-promoting interviews...(I paraphrased):
1) The song "Plum" was about waking up next to a person that he was no longer in love with...omg, the lyrics
(Imho, it was an honest assessment, but nonetheless, it was also devastating if you're the person that the song was written about)
2) He was unhappy, and was in a bad place around the time his first album came out (late 2015) and desperately needed a change
3) That change came about when he broke up with his then boyfriend (early 2016)...As a side note, I think "My awkward butt massage" was Connor's very first video post breakup

I brought this up because the Tronnor fandom has long accused Troye of cheating on Connor with Jacob because Tracob happened very quickly.

According to the Tracob fandom:
1) Troye followed Jacob on Tumblr in 2015
2) They met face to face for the first time at the Saint Laurent LA fashion show (February 11, 2016) and became inseparable since

I'm sure Troye and Jacob communicated prior to their face to face meeting (while Troye was still with Connor)...which I think is perfectly fine.

To me, the communication itself was not the problem (Tronnor communicated years before they started dating). The problem was the "nature" of that communication...was it flirtatious, inappropriate, face-time, dick pics, etc? The world will never know the answer (Connor might not know the answer either...only Tracob knows).

All I'm saying is...if Troye "set up" Tracob (in 2015) prior to him ending Tronnor (early 2016), then he's a piece of sh*t (even if he already came to the conclusion that he will ultimately end things with Connor...as in the "Plum" lyrics)

Post by Guest »

Knowing that Connor has been going through all these mental health issues makes me dislike Troye's 'Good Side' song even more. Imagine if you were feeling very low and your famous ex releases a song that is basically bringing attention to one of your lowest moments and showing pitty on you because his life is absolutely amazing now. So low.

7abiib_azzubb
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by 7abiib_azzubb »

Lake wrote:Image
YouTubers and YouTubeHasBeens, in this particular case, need to quit it with the mental health plea every time they get "triggered", i.e., discussed in a way that they can't control. You willingly put yourself and your life up for people to watch. For fuck's sake, you have a "public figure" note on your instagram. You know who was a public figure against her will? Monica Lewinsky, a poor intern who was forced into the limelight because she got seduced by power and President Clinton. And even she has a better way of dealing about how people talk about her in an unflattering way.

I have ZERO sympathy for Connor, and half of the other YouTubers. They want their cake (be famous) and eat it too (control how they are talked about in public). You can't. Shape the fuck up, or ship the fuck out, "Conrad"!

WildBoy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by WildBoy »

Happy to see Conor appears to be dating again. Somebody named Ian, a student at USC.

manged
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by manged »

SkinnyEric wrote:Happy to see Conor appears to be dating again. Somebody named Ian, a student at USC.
Boy if you don't post some evidence...

WildBoy
Lurker
Lurker

Post by WildBoy »

manged wrote:
SkinnyEric wrote:Happy to see Conor appears to be dating again. Somebody named Ian, a student at USC.
Boy if you don't post some evidence...
It’s been mentioned on Tumblr and Instagram. FrantaWatcher pieced it together in a few posts.
http://instagram.com/frantawatcher/

The photo below (unfortunately poor quality) was posted by Ian’s friend in early December. Connor was tagged but quickly removed himself from the tag. Ian recently followed a few of Connor’s L.A. friends. Ian was with Connor on New Year’s Eve at Tyler Young’s party (they followed each other that day) and it’s unlikely Connor would have brought just anyone. Ian doesn’t have much of a digital footprint. He regularly posted on Instagram though not his Facebook page. Connor does not follow Ian on Instagram most likely to not call attention to them. Ian privated/deleted all but 2 photos from his account a few days ago and has been blocking people who follow him if they are a Connor fan account or only have Connor as their avatar. When Ian purged his Insta he also stopped following his ex-boyfriend from Washington state who he saw on winter break before Xmas. Ian is 24 and a grad student at UCLA.

Connor with Ian, 4 December

Ian Rigby

Return to “Connor Franta”