MakeupObeseNotForTV Part 5

WaitThisIsntBellazon
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: MakeupObeseNotForTV Part 5

Post by WaitThisIsntBellazon » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:26 am

I dont think the cool contour powders are cool enough or very cool whatsoever... I prefer to contour with Nyx taupe blush or Mac taupe blush.. Im fair skinned and cool toned.. & the live swatches she did in the video didnt look pigmented at all, and the formula looked chalky. Jaclyn Hill will say they are super pigmented & buttery, however -_- & Im beginning to dread Marlena on snapchat.. Shes always in the car with the purple hair and its always the same shpeal.. pointing to mannys palette in the crease.. i dont altogether dislike her but i have my gripes...

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:50 am

Manipulate: To change by artful or unfair means so as to serve one's purpose

Lying: marked by or containing falsehoods

These are the reasons why I do not care for her any longer. I started watching her ages ago, she wasn't trying to cram crap products down my throat then nor was she condescending towards others. Although her techniques were questionable at times she still felt genuine and kind. Now, she's a mean spirited woman who has been consumed by her own delusions of grandeur who lies and manipulates people for their money. Now I'm over here like.. gurl, bye.

anderbobo
Learner
Learner

Post by anderbobo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 pm

Holy moly her face looks *so* dirty in the conTOOR video like whoah! Plus those look like bronzers, no wonder everybody looked like pig-pen when wearing them! They are going to look so unnatural in real life. There is no such thing as an ORANGE or WARM shadow! I understand her wanting to expand MUG as a company but her best idea was making cheap dupes for MAC, she keeps trying to compete in a market that is flooded with *much* better products.

Whisperofguilt
Talker
Talker

Post by Whisperofguilt » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:04 pm

She tried to explain away her pronouncing contour like a complete idiot, like she's always been saying it that way. But she has about 2 videos on contour from when she was heavy Marlena with her saying it correctly. She's like 2 different people. The only thing that's the same is she knows nothing about contouring, In fact, her contouring has gotten worse. How is that even possible? :?

fizzwizz12
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by fizzwizz12 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:24 am

From this moment on I am only referring to her as shit stain stell
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

Cantwatchthisanymore
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

MakeupObeseNotForTV Part 5

Post by Cantwatchthisanymore » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:13 am

You guys all have great points, @anderbobo I agree - "she keeps trying to compete in a market that is flooded with *much* better products."

And @whisperofguilt - "her contouring has gotten worse. How is that even possible?
Yes, not only is her contouring harsh but her eyeshadow application is ridiculous.

But it always was...I just didn't realise it at the time cause I really liked her back then. (I was blind)

And lmao @fizzwizz12 "shit stain stell"

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:58 am

Cantwatchthisanymore wrote:
But it always was...I just didn't realise it at the time cause I really liked her back then. (I was blind)
I liked her as well when she did videos. I liked her when she started her makeup company. It is not like doing cheap collaborations. This sh!t is serious and she was doing well. She should have stayed with eyeshadows and youtube

But now with all these products she is launching, she is out of her depth. She is not a mua, she doesn't really know real outside of youtube or industry trends (let alone standards). Noone is saying makeup is science, but you can only break the rules when you know them in first place.

She is blinded by her youtube fame and got dangerously confident . That is why she is coming with half-arsed products (sparklers) or products that make not much sense to everyone else but her (warm conTOUR). And that is why hew own makeup application got worse. She was much more cautious before and did her homework. Now she can slap glitter on her cheeks and call it "highlighter". Because, why not, Forbes wrote about her. She said in her snaps, she is going to talk to someone who will take her company outside of youtube to the "real world" or industry. Girl, dont.do.that.

Out of all youtube gooru meltdowns, i find this truly sad. Really, i don't hate her, but she is not doing it right.

fizzwizz12
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by fizzwizz12 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:39 am

cheezecake wrote:
Cantwatchthisanymore wrote:
I liked her as well when she did videos. I liked her when she started her makeup company. It is not like doing cheap collaborations. This sh!t is serious and she was doing well. She should have stayed with eyeshadows and youtube

But now with all these products she is launching, she is out of her depth. She is not a mua, she doesn't really know real outside of youtube or industry trends (let alone standards). Noone is saying makeup is science, but you can only break the rules when you know them in first place.

She is blinded by her youtube fame and got dangerously confident . That is why she is coming with half-arsed products (sparklers) or products that make not much sense to everyone else but her (warm conTOUR). And that is why hew own makeup application got worse. She was much more cautious before and did her homework. Now she can slap glitter on her cheeks and call it "highlighter". Because, why not, Forbes wrote about her. She said in her snaps, she is going to talk to someone who will take her company outside of youtube to the "real world" or industry. Girl, dont.do.that.

Out of all youtube gooru meltdowns, i find this truly sad. Really, i don't hate her, but she is not doing it right.

Great points....I agree as well.
Unfortunately she is completely unable to listen and realize that no she hasn't aged and grown. But regressed to become a shell of who she was.
It's probably totally out of context but remember the movie the craft. They were nice at the beginning and then power went to their heads and they flipped their shit..
She has a niche, she's become so egotistical and narcissistic that one wonders if those tendencies were always there but hidden behind the pretty face and weight....
Too bad she fucked up her pretty face
“I don't care what you are doing, so much as the idiotic way that you are doing it.”-vincent valentine

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:05 am

Someone on her IG asked if any of her conToor powders could be used as a bronzer.. no one answered her from MUG.. so I answered her with, ALL her "Warm" conToors as bronzer. Can't wait to get virtually pimp slapped by her minions for that one. You know some of those delusional bishes will rally to her cause.

fizzwizz12
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by fizzwizz12 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:09 am

Lady-Ellie wrote:Someone on her IG asked if any of her conToor powders could be used as a bronzer.. no one answered her from MUG.. so I answered her with, ALL her "Warm" conToors as bronzer. Can't wait to get virtually pimp slapped by her minions for that one. You know some of those delusional bishes will rally to her cause.

I'd laugh if they jump on you for that.....shit stain stell is the one who claims you should use products for multiple uses....(not an insane claim in and of itself) She's the genius that says to use lipstick as a concealer....is that a thing? I can't it as working all that well....
Also what's the eyeshadow she uses as her cuntour? I'm wondering if she just resized the pan,slapped another stupid name on it and is shilling it to the idiots who buy her stuff thinking it's the same quality

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:18 am

Oh I'm pretty sure I'll get some backlash over it lol. Not that I give a shit whatsoever. And I too imagine she used some of her shadow colors as "conToors " . Would not put it past her to use the warm shades as bronzer in the future too. Also, I bet her highlights she's "working on" are various shimmer shadows she already has out. Renamed and resized for maximum dollars of course.

Lady-Ellie
Debater
Debater

Post by Lady-Ellie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:23 am

Oh! Almost forgot about the lipstick thing.. gurllll.. enjoy the herp in your eyes after you've smeared that shit all over your lips. Yeah, I took it there. She's an idiot for even suggesting that technique. Let's all just have a moment of silence for the death of all common sense.

Mrs. Realistic
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by Mrs. Realistic » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

What was her reasoning/excuse for saying ConTour? She never used to say it like that. When her face began to change, so did her laugh, accent & level of being annoying.

MissDelusional
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Post by MissDelusional » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Lady-Ellie wrote:Oh! Almost forgot about the lipstick thing.. gurllll.. enjoy the herp in your eyes after you've smeared that shit all over your lips. Yeah, I took it there. She's an idiot for even suggesting that technique. Let's all just have a moment of silence for the death of all common sense.
I saw it mentioned by another lady, BUT this girl was also Indian ( as in southeast Asian ) so theoretically it would work better on her skin tone. Still.... As you alluded to there can be a transfer of bacteria to the eye area which is no Bueno.
I find it amazing she got through college TBH, as she doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed. And her mu application is dreadful and worsening.

GucciCoochie
Debater
Debater

Post by GucciCoochie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:24 pm

maybe she pronounces it 'conTOOR' because she wants to be special :|
Image english may be my first language, it is also my worst¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BlancheDevereau
Informer
Informer

Post by BlancheDevereau » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:30 pm

GucciCoochie wrote:maybe she pronounces it 'conTOOR' because she wants to be special :|
OT but I laugh every time I see your screen name. I wish it was mine lmao

GucciCoochie
Debater
Debater

Post by GucciCoochie » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:40 pm

Buttery07 wrote:
GucciCoochie wrote:maybe she pronounces it 'conTOOR' because she wants to be special :|
OT but I laugh every time I see your screen name. I wish it was mine lmao
<3 :tu: <3
Image english may be my first language, it is also my worst¯\_(ツ)_/¯

sandserif
Informer
Informer

Post by sandserif » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:13 pm

I understand that there's few hard and fast rules to makeup, but a warm contour will look odd in almost any lighting, on most people. I understand that Marlena had to make her products stand out so she offered more warm toned colors (despite criticizing most contour kits with warm colors when she reviewed them) but this just made the product more confusing to her customers.

Whisperofguilt
Talker
Talker

Post by Whisperofguilt » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:30 pm

So I've been thinking...maybe overthinking? Maybe what she was trying to say was that not everyone needs the same level of coolness in their contour. For instance, I have a very warm tone, and I can't use anything that's too cool. I try to match to the natural shadow shade for my contour color. But I have noticed I can't use anything too cool. Or else it looks kind of strange. So I guess if you had two cool colors, there is always one that leans a teeny bit more warm, although they are both cool. But neither of those colors are warm, they just aren't on the same level of grey. I hope that makes sense. Maybe if she called it something else. Does that make sense? Either way, she's not a makeup artist and it's beyond me why anyone would trust her "knowledge", especially after posting those photos.

I'm really interested to see how this new launch goes though. Her last couple of launches were pretty much fails. She's still selling her sparklers for 10 bucks, meaning she's still selling the old packaging. Never had to restock. Hmmm.

And those names are so try hard. She pointed it out twice, it's like she's trying to copy other companies with her "opposite of love" names. Someone should tell her it's really not clever at all so she can stop pointing it out and then laughing hysterically at it.

As far as her trying to branch out of youtube...I don't think so.I don't think her sales have boosted at all from being featured on various shows. Everything is still in stock. Her biggest sellers are affiliates on youtube, and they don't even seem to be selling the new makeup geek stuff like that. Her shadows were everywhere. Blushes did OK. Everyone had a vid on her foils. But you don't see anyone repping the sparklers or the duo chromes too hard.

cheezecake
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheezecake » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:43 am

Whisperofguilt wrote:So I've been thinking...maybe overthinking? Maybe what she was trying to say was that not everyone needs the same level of coolness in their contour. For instance, I have a very warm tone, and I can't use anything that's too cool. I try to match to the natural shadow shade for my contour color. But I have noticed I can't use anything too cool. Or else it looks kind of strange.
The whole line and launch is a effing disaster. They think they are smart coming out with this "warm/cool" definition to fill the gap in the market. Newsflash: there is no gap. There is contour and there is bronze. They made it sound like rocket science and they already have army of minions who are like "OMG, i am ordering...but wait, am i warm or cool tone"???? I predict their customer service killing themselves answering this fundamental question. Looking at their pics for fair skin, Marlena is supposedly warm and blond girl cool toned. LOL Actually, it is the other way round. The blond girl is for sure warm skin toned! And based on Marlena's various videos, i dare to say her skin tone is cool! They have no clue. 0.Nada. Plus a lot of shades look similar to me anyway. From pics alone, if you hide the descriptions, i will not figure out which one is cool and which warm. And lets take a second here. Calling the shade "Infidelity"...someone was high that day.

All you need to do is to find you right color(shade). That is what their USP should have been: everyone else has 3 shades and we have 12 for everyone!. BUT the TONE must be cool, no matter the shade. Of course if i use shade for deepest skin, i end up looking muddy and if i use medium shade -same, muddy, as i am very very fair. You need the most subtle shade for fair skin. But it must be cool toned. Also, it is ALL in the blending. When you blend right, you will not see anything, but a hint of shade under cheek bones. That is what contour all about (and that is why makes it so hard; either you don't have enough or too much). It is not supposed to be visible at all. I must say, if in doubt, just don't contour. I personally only do contour for the camera; i don't do it otherwise irl or only for events.

MUG promo pics were a pure shame; why didn't they invite pro muas???

Cantwatchthisanymore
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Cantwatchthisanymore » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:31 am

So far she's released the Foiled shadows, then matte shadows, duo chrome and sparklers, now contour palette, what ever happened to her lip cashmere things?

I'm sure she was giving sneak peaks in some tutorials months ago, maybe I'm confused with something else but I was sure she said new lip cremes, highlighters and newer blushes?

So why is all that taking so long and already some products are an honest fail.
The concept of some products are interesting but her delivery SUCKS you guyses!

truebooty
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by truebooty » Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:54 am

Whisperofguilt wrote:So I've been thinking...maybe overthinking? Maybe what she was trying to say was that not everyone needs the same level of coolness in their contour.
Totally agree. So basically she should have just created 8 shades. Not 4 warm/4 cool.
And those names are so try hard. She pointed it out twice, it's like she's trying to copy other companies with her "opposite of love" names. Someone should tell her it's really not clever at all so she can stop pointing it out and then laughing hysterically at it.
Yeah I feel like #NARSdiditfirst, and also like I don't think I really get the association. Shadow is like darkness and corrupt or something?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

luchadora0112
Sassy Moddie
Sassy Moddie

Post by luchadora0112 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:32 am

I don't see how Marlena could possibly compete with brands like L'Oreal and such. Her products are the same price point as drugstore. But worse quality, poorly thought out packaging, bad customer service, no returns, shipping charges, and only available ONLINE.

HeyMama
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by HeyMama » Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:56 am

I get the whole warm/cool thing. But the warm contours look too warm. I would think that she would push something along the neutral-warm range for a contour for those tones. She claimed that neutrals can use both but I don't believe any neutral could use those warm tones. And like someone else pointed out, she was slamming other brands for being too warm. Well, Marlena, isn't that exactly what you've done for your "warm girls?"
I do not use TT. Please message me through the GG website.

HeyMama
Support Moddie
Support Moddie

Post by HeyMama » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:39 am

Sorry for the DP, but quit with the lame ass names! It is a contour! Not a lipstick, blush or shadow. It drives me banana sandwich when brands need to come up with cheeky (no pun intended) names for contours, brows and foundations. I don't want a full page of notes when shopping for something like that. If one shade doesn't work I should be able to figure out what the next step up or down will be without having to Google the shit out of it. Help your customers a little bit by taking the guesswork out of choosing their shades. You don't accept returns and your products usually arrive damaged or are shitty quality. I don't use ABH Dipbrow Pomade in Chocolate Frosting. It is Dark Brown! I don't wear Melted Taffy Left in the Sun. I wear NC/NW30!!! Save the half-assed names for your wannabe MAC shadows.
I do not use TT. Please message me through the GG website.

Return to “MakeupGeekTV”