How do you deal with all the misogyny online?

Itsjustaride
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

How do you deal with all the misogyny online?

Post by Itsjustaride »

Most major websites are male dominated and filled with disgusting misogynist, almost violent comments against women. When you see this , how do you deal with it? I tend to get very angry and go on long rants to the point where it ruins my whole day. Am I being overly sensitive? How do you guys deal with it? It seems if you spend any time on the internet there's no avoiding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dollhouse
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: How do you deal with all the misogyny online?

Post by dollhouse »

just report it

krissymarie
Talker
Talker

Post by krissymarie »

>am I being overly sensitive?

If you see something you don't like, I say turn the other way. You need to pick and choose your battles or just try and not focus on it so much because it can get really frustrating to deal with.
Me when the teas hot.

kayleeee
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by kayleeee »

Report it and/or don't read the comments.
lazygirlbusyworld.wordpress.com check out my blog

nina84
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by nina84 »

It's quite heartbreaking. I don't tend to get angry but it does make me very sad and it doesn't leave me, sometimes for the rest of the day, depending on how horrible it was. Some days ago a girl was raped by some guys who were all sons of rich people (''influential families'') in Mexico and they filmed it and put it online. If you searched for the articles about it, there were people saying that she didn't ''look'' like she was being raped and clearly she just regretted it. And on reddit a few weeks ago there was a news article in which the theme was basically college rape accusations. One of the most upvoted comments was implying that those are mainly from girls that cheated on their partners and regretted it. It's quite ugly. On Quora I saw an (again, highly upvoted) answer for ''are men better than women?'' in which the guy who answered was listing all the reasons why he hated women. Misogyny just plain and simple like that. And people were pretty ok with it.

I guess the best thing I can do to calm myself is to think about it as an individual thing. I know it's not, but it's kinda calming to think ''well, I guess it wasn't me who was raped so I don't have to feel bad about it'', as selfish as it sounds. Because I mean, it's such a huge problem that knowing you can't do much about it just makes you feel worse.

smars27
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by smars27 »

Itsjustaride wrote:Most major websites are male dominated and filled with disgusting misogynist, almost violent comments against women. When you see this , how do you deal with it? I tend to get very angry and go on long rants to the point where it ruins my whole day. Am I being overly sensitive? How do you guys deal with it? It seems if you spend any time on the internet there's no avoiding it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What websites are you going to? And honestly if it AFFECTS you so much it emotionally, you shouldn't go there, as you don't know these ppl and if they even mean what they're saying or are bitter creeps/etc. You should care what ppl are saying, just makes sure it's the RIGHT ones.

Their opinion can't affect you that deeply unless you let it. There are issues that push my buttons too*. For the sake of privacy (JIC*) and because it's not my story to tell all I say is I had a friend that dealt with the worst of the worst type of....guy....and I can understand why it affected her so deeply so if something like that happened to you, I can understand your POV, but you have to remember not ALL men are like that. Don't let some bad apples spoil the whole bunch for you.

There are very few TRULY good/righteous ppl in this world to begin with but there aren't as many "bad ppl" as ppl think, we just hear about them the most. See the world in color and not in black/white or you will limit yourself. All I can say is I've learned from experience while some guys aren't worth any time I gave them, they are NOT the enemy. Prioritize who's worth caring about and whose opinion goes right in the trash bin...

Just be glad you don't have to deal with the WORST of the WORST regularly or in RL. Careful who you trust though, when ppl aren't held accountable for their actions, they go a lot further then you ever think they would.

vanessav
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by vanessav »

I have to admit it annoys the hell outta me. Like, it's 21st century, when will the sh*t stop?! However, it definitely does not ruin my day. I think you should try not taking it personally AND realize you don't have control over it.

Return to “Technology”