wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Chloe Grace Moretz

Post by wanderlust »

What do you guys think of Chloe Moretz?

I sort of like her and I'd be willing to watch most things that she's in, but after watching her in many things, I feel that she is pretty overrated. The first thing I saw her in was 500 Days of Summer.

I also can't help but feel like she is being sold as a sex symbol in some of her films...for example, I'm in the middle of watching Hick, in which she's supposed to be playing a 13 year old and she's walking around in her underwear in front of some real estate agent or something that visits her house while also pointing a gun at him. She was caught off guard in the scene so it's not like she was dressed like that in front of him on purpose. I know it's part of the script and everything, but scenes like this seem like a pedophile's wet dream and I can't understand why she would be allowed to sign on for something like that at such a young age. I'm not sure how old she actually was while filming the movie, but it came out in 2011 and she's 16 now. I'm not saying that young girls can't do this in movies, but I am saying that that type of thing gives me a weird vibe sometimes. Maybe it's because I have a sister around the age of 13, idk.

Also, she doesn't seem to do well at the box office, which isn't her fault, but it's just something I've noticed. I don't think anything has done too well since Kickass really. That's fine and it's not a judge of her acting ability, but it's just something I noticed. I think she's a good actress, though.

She's in the Carrie remake and while I'm definitely going to check it out (because I love Julianne Moore), I don't think it's a movie that should even be remade and it's hard to tell how well it's going to do.

Anyway, I'm rambling. Overall, I like her. What do you think?

Angie V
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Re: Chloe Grace Moretz

Post by Angie V »

I really do not care about her at all. She is too young for me to relate to on any level and I don't care about her movies. Kick-Ass was ok but I feel like anyone could have had that role and been ok in it. Meh.
imma ball til the day i fall

BrinnieThePooh
Wanderer
Wanderer

Post by BrinnieThePooh »

She played in The Poker House back in '08, and to be nine/ten at the time, she was pretty good... Other than that, I've seen no other movies with her in it.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I never really noticed her until recently, my friend likes her as an actress. I think she's cute but I definitely don't think she's hot enough to be a sex symbol lol. I think anything's better than Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby...now THAT was too much for that age.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

I really like her! I sometimes get her mixed up with Abigail Breslin (I think that's her first name?).

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

There's a strange trend that's been going for a while and it's that the sex symbols get younger and younger. Probably from the whole Lolita craze. It stuck around. There will always be overly-sexualized teenagers, and I think it's only a matter of time before it becomes the norm. Already is in some places.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

TaylorKnows wrote:I think anything's better than Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby...now THAT was too much for that age.
Yeah, I have no idea how that movie was even made. I saw it several years ago. That movie with Dakota Fanning called Hound Dog was pretty bad, too. In most cases, I feel like they're just trying to be controversial and succeeding.

@HattieChaos, yeah, I agree. Lolita is what it brings to mind for me as well.

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

She's too young for me to identify with but yeah, she's too overrated.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

wanderlust wrote:
TaylorKnows wrote:I think anything's better than Brooke Shields in Pretty Baby...now THAT was too much for that age.
Yeah, I have no idea how that movie was even made. I saw it several years ago. That movie with Dakota Fanning called Hound Dog was pretty bad, too. In most cases, I feel like they're just trying to be controversial and succeeding.

@HattieChaos, yeah, I agree. Lolita is what it brings to mind for me as well.
I still haven't seen it mostly because I'm afraid to see how bad it is, but I was watching Tyra and she was talking about it so I looked it up. But yeah, kids are being overexposed more and more these days. It's insane that this is the norm now. I just don't think that Chloe is at that point yet, though I don't know much about her. I actually was watching a rerun of DH today and she was on it, but this was back when she was little.
I think even though Dakota was in that movie, she grew up good despite it. Look at Lindsey, she had good girl roles and ended up wild. I don't think it's the roles that effect the child, it's how they're raised.

Kandake
Informer
Informer

Post by Kandake »

It scares me how older she acts and looks.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

I personally don't see it.

I think she looks 16. But then again, I haven't seen much of her work.

allisoonnn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by allisoonnn »

I love her <3

The first thing I saw her in was 500 Days of Summer and I thought she was cute. Then, I saw her in Kick-Ass and fell in love with her!!! I love how she's a little badass chick in that and in real life. She's so funny in interviews too. Yeah, she acts a little older than she is, but thats what separates her from the rest and thats her appeal. I don't think the way she acts is weird or uncomfortable at all. Also, I don't think she's overrated, but maybe she eventually will be because I suspect she will be in more & more big movies while losing some of her appeal.

Kandake
Informer
Informer

Post by Kandake »

Sometimes she can look 5 years older than her age. It all depends on hair and makeup but her face is very mature in my opinion compared her to say, Miley at 16 or Selena Gomez now.

LadyKaiko
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by LadyKaiko »

^ She looks a good four or five years older in those pictures, to me anyway.

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

Maybe she naturally just looks older. I'm 17 and people say I look like I'm a senior in college. And I wear 0 makeup.

allisoonnn
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by allisoonnn »

TaylorKnows wrote:Maybe she naturally just looks older. I'm 17 and people say I look like I'm a senior in college. And I wear 0 makeup.
Same here. When I was 12/13, adults always thought I was 18. I've always looked older than I am (to this day) and back then I didn't wear makeup at all, although now I do. She's not trying to look older, she just does. I find it funny that some of you are so weirded out by how mature she looks..

TaylorKnows
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by TaylorKnows »

allisoonnn wrote:
TaylorKnows wrote:Maybe she naturally just looks older. I'm 17 and people say I look like I'm a senior in college. And I wear 0 makeup.
Same here. When I was 12/13, adults always thought I was 18. I've always looked older than I am (to this day) and back then I didn't wear makeup at all, although now I do. She's not trying to look older, she just does. I find it funny that some of you are so weirded out by how mature she looks..
Yeah when I started HS, everyone thought I was a senior lol. And I was recently looking at my 8th grade yearbook and I looked about 16, not 13...lol. I think she's pretty and she's probably just one of those girls that looks older naturally. She wears makeup but it's definitely not too much.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

I'm not weirded out by how mature she looks - I once got into a bar meant for 21s and up at the age of 13 with no ID (not by choice.. long story :roll:), I'm weirded out by her roles and how sexualized she is in them. like the example Wanderlust gave in her first post. I think there can be worse examples, like the one with Dakota Fanning, but the fact that it's hardly been questioned shows just how much our culture is beginning to accept this sort of thing. Jeremy Irons, who played Humbert Humbert in Lolita, was known to have said in an interview that the world is too fearful of paedophilia and that children under 16 are "immensely attractive" and more or less that we should forgive the people attracted to them, in a sense of "Oh look at those sexy teens! You just can't blame the paedos, can you?". That's the type of mindset people are having today. Like, the word "jailbait" is getting thrown around a lot. I hate that word because I was called it before I myself experienced sexual abuse, and it implies that it's us victims that are pulling the abuse in rather than the other way around.

It's all linked together, and it is frightening. It's another reason I don't want to have children, as silly and over the top as that sounds.

wanderlust
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Post by wanderlust »

HattieChaos wrote:I'm not weirded out by how mature she looks - I once got into a bar meant for 21s and up at the age of 13 with no ID (not by choice.. long story :roll:), I'm weirded out by her roles and how sexualized she is in them. like the example Wanderlust gave in her first post. I think there can be worse examples, like the one with Dakota Fanning, but the fact that it's hardly been questioned shows just how much our culture is beginning to accept this sort of thing. Jeremy Irons, who played Humbert Humbert in Lolita, was known to have said in an interview that the world is too fearful of paedophilia and that children under 16 are "immensely attractive" and more or less that we should forgive the people attracted to them, in a sense of "Oh look at those sexy teens! You just can't blame the paedos, can you?". That's the type of mindset people are having today. Like, the word "jailbait" is getting thrown around a lot. I hate that word because I was called it before I myself experienced sexual abuse, and it implies that it's us victims that are pulling the abuse in rather than the other way around.

It's all linked together, and it is frightening. It's another reason I don't want to have children, as silly and over the top as that sounds.
It makes me sick to my stomach when people blame the victim for sexual abuse. :/

No, I don't think it sounds silly. I want to have kids, but when my sister was younger, I used to watch her and everyone that even looked at her like a hawk. You just never know. Over the years, I've realized just how common sexual abuse is. I was once sitting at a table with 2 people I'd just met and somehow one of them brought theirs up and the other one mentioned that she experienced it as well. I can't imagine talking about it easily like that, but it really showed me how prevalent it is.

I've heard the jailbait word a lot too and the younger the person is that it's used on, the more disturbing it gets.

I can't blame pedophiles for having the thoughts that they have because I feel it's a sort of sickness that they can't help. I can blame them however for acting on ANY of those thoughts and I can blame society for making it so okay for girls to be sexualized like this. I can't even imagine how many men must salivate over those images and movies of Chloe Moretz.

HattieChaos
Naughty
Naughty

Post by HattieChaos »

wanderlust wrote:
HattieChaos wrote:I'm not weirded out by how mature she looks - I once got into a bar meant for 21s and up at the age of 13 with no ID (not by choice.. long story :roll:), I'm weirded out by her roles and how sexualized she is in them. like the example Wanderlust gave in her first post. I think there can be worse examples, like the one with Dakota Fanning, but the fact that it's hardly been questioned shows just how much our culture is beginning to accept this sort of thing. Jeremy Irons, who played Humbert Humbert in Lolita, was known to have said in an interview that the world is too fearful of paedophilia and that children under 16 are "immensely attractive" and more or less that we should forgive the people attracted to them, in a sense of "Oh look at those sexy teens! You just can't blame the paedos, can you?". That's the type of mindset people are having today. Like, the word "jailbait" is getting thrown around a lot. I hate that word because I was called it before I myself experienced sexual abuse, and it implies that it's us victims that are pulling the abuse in rather than the other way around.

It makes me sick to my stomach when people blame the victim for sexual abuse. :/

No, I don't think it sounds silly. I want to have kids, but when my sister was younger, I used to watch her and everyone that even looked at her like a hawk. You just never know. Over the years, I've realized just how common sexual abuse is. I was once sitting at a table with 2 people I'd just met and somehow one of them brought theirs up and the other one mentioned that she experienced it as well. I can't imagine talking about it easily like that, but it really showed me how prevalent it is.

I've heard the jailbait word a lot too and the younger the person is that it's used on, the more disturbing it gets.

I can't blame pedophiles for having the thoughts that they have because I feel it's a sort of sickness that they can't help. I can blame them however for acting on ANY of those thoughts and I can blame society for making it so okay for girls to be sexualized like this. I can't even imagine how many men must salivate over those images and movies of Chloe Moretz.
I agree about the blame, I meant the people that act on it - sorry. It's a very slippery slope, because so many of them believe that as long as the child consents as well, then it's okay, when that isn't how it works at all. But yeah, I'm pretty sure paedophilia is classed as a sickness by most medical professionals, I just don't know how one would go about treating it.

I think I only realised how common sexual abuse was when it actually happened to me, but I didn't really recognise that when my Mother's boyfriends used to feel me up and make me feel uncomfortable that that was sexual abuse. I think I honestly thought that was normal until a certain time. But after I begun talking about it with people, I realised just how common it is. My best friend reckons that rape/abuse and all that sort of thing happens more often in "lower class" places because the people tend to be more uncivilised.. I'm not sure how true that is, but I live in an area with mostly poor/on benefits or at least working class people and I think I can honestly say that here, if you are a girl and you weren't abused in some way as a child, you are probably in the minority. Obviously a rapist doesn't go around looking for the poorest victims, but I think the area thing might be onto something. I mean, crime rates etc. go up in slums and poor places, so accounts of sexual abuse obviously have to be a part of that figure. I think if I was to have kids, it'd only be after I was as financially good as I could get and living in a really really well off area. I think there's a sort of safety in money. Richer people treat it as a shock when something happens to them, but for certain areas on the opposite end of the money spectrum - this sort of stuff is the norm, almost expected.

Return to “Celebrity”