Fifty Shades of Grey

Fadia Fiji
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 50 Shades of Grey

Post by Fadia Fiji »

starrynight wrote:Just finished reading the trilogy and I am obsessed! Can't wait for the movie to come out. Here are my favorites to play the characters:

Christian-Matt Bomer

Anastasia Steele-

Saoirse Ronan

OR

Alexandra Daddario
Neal and Kate reunited?

RabbieWingz
Informer
Informer

Re: Fifty Shades of Grey

Post by RabbieWingz »

I actually liked the books!

I used to assume it was bad because all the media at the time said so, but after a year of it coming out, my friends had read it and forced me to do the same, even tho I really didn't want to (thought it would be absolute trash).
I downloaded the pdf of the first book for the lolz, just to say to people I had read it, but... man I got stuck in!
Yeah the writing style wasn't the best, and sometime they just had far too much sex to the point that it made everything boring (especially the 3rd book), but I really did enjoy the story! No shame haha

***SMALL SPOILER***

The second book is my favourite, but I have to admit that the 3rd one was pretty bad and the plot ran dry... it seemed like whenever the author had nothing to write, she just put in a sex scene (you just got chased by a car, so you go into a parking lot and have sex. WTF man)

cheesedanish
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by cheesedanish »

terribly written book.

aauball
Learner
Learner

Post by aauball »

My brother actually has a copy of the first 2 books, I'm apalled he reads something like this.

Trololol
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Trololol »

A little background on me before I get into my rant: I love reading smut; I've been reading smut since I was in my early teens. Reading smutty fanfiction was basically how I learned English.

50 Shades of Grey (and Twilight, since 50 Shades originated as a Twilight fanfiction) is garbage. Why? Here are a few reasons why.

The leading character is a Mary Sue. Her character is mostly flat; she has no personality.

The writing was terrible; overtly descriptive about the surroundings, which means that the author did not employ the 'show, don't tell' method of writing.

Christian Grey is a stalker and an abusive prick, and this novel series makes having a rich stalker coercing you into kinky sex seem romantic. It's not romantic.

He traces her phone, ignores her when she says she needs space, shows up to her workplace (MAJOR RED FLAG) and buys the company she works for so he can keep close tabs on her. He becomes jealous and possessive over her to the point of almost beating up a guy she was friends with, and this is before they even hook up. He gets angry when her guy friend calls her. He emotionally manipulates her, even.

NONE of these are healthy behaviour.

Also, she says NO to him, and he ignores her. That, people, is called RAPE.

The writing is choppy; the author can't write a realistic sex scene. The main character keeps referring to Inner Goddess, which seems ridiculous and comical as hell. I mean read these lines:

11) "I flush. My inner goddess is down on bended knee with her hands clasped in supplication begging me."

12) "My inner goddess is beside herself, hopping from foot to foot."

13) "My inner goddess fist pumps the air above her chaise lounge"

14) "My inner goddess stirs from her five-day sulk."

15) "My inner goddess is doing the merengue with some salsa moves."

16) “My inner goddess is doing a triple axel dismount off the uneven bars, and abruptly my mouth is dry.”

all these are from http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/2 ... es-of-grey

Her description of sex is hilarious. There is also so much granny swearing (oh my, oh jeez, etc) in the novel. Her description of the virginal main character is borderline puritanical.

more on the abuse in 50 Shades: http://www.cavalierdaily.com/article/20 ... es-of-grey

The sequel of the series Grey which was written from Christian's perspective is no less badly written; he has thought exchanges with his penis. His penis agrees with him, his penis hears music or something just as absurd.

This whole series is blurring the line of romantic pursuit and abuse, and we don't need this kind of bullshit. Girls don't need to be told that if a guy behaves this way, it means he likes her. NO. 50 Shades of Grey AND Twilight both need to be called out for what it really is. It is crap, and it is the glorification of abusive relationships.

If you liked reading 50 Shades and relate to the character Ana, I hope you get help. No woman should have to deal with guys like Christian.

Here are some examples of badly written lines from Grey: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/book ... lines.html

Chapters One and Two
• "My green car is fuzzy. Covered in grey fur and dirt. I want it back. But I can't reach it. I can never reach it. My green car is lost. Lost. And I can never play with it again."
• "I pore over the executive summary for the hundredth time since I received it two days ago, looking for some insight into the enigmatic Miss Anastasia Rose Steele."
• "'Mr Grey.' His handshake is limp, like his hair. Asshole. 'Wait up - not the Christian Grey? Of Grey Enterprises Holdings?' Yeah, that's me, you prick.
• "At least Taylor has arrived and I have all my shit. I have Barney's report on his department's graphene tests to read and I can work in peace."

Chapter Three
• "'This is my favourite tea,' she says, and I revise my mental note that it's Twinings English Breakfast tea she likes."
• "Her eyes widen. They really are beautiful, the colour of the ocean at Cabo, the bluest of blue seas. I should take her there."
• "But why England? I ask her. 'It's the home of Shakespeare, Austen, the Bronte sisters, Thomas Hardy. I'd like to see the places that inspired those people to write such wonderful books.' It's obvious this is her first love. Books.
• "She has a fresh, wholesome fragrance that reminds me of my grandfather's apple orchard."
• "'I've got this,' she says, disappointment ringing in her clipped tone."
• "She regards me dispassionately and regret flares in my gut."
Chapter Four
• "She's an incurable romantic who loves the English classics. But then so do I, for different reasons. I don't have any Jane Austen first editions, or Brontes, for that matter, but I do have two Thomas Hardys."
• "'You sound like the ultimate consumer.' Her judgmental retort from the interview comes back to haunt me. Yes, I like to possess things, things that will rise in value, like first editions."
• "I take one bite of tuna to assuage my hunger, then reach for my pen. I've chosen a quote. A warning. I made the correct choice, walking away from her. Not all men are romantic heroes. I'll take the word 'men-folk' out. She'll understand."

toshiku01
Lurker
Lurker

Post by toshiku01 »

I almost bought the first book years ago, but I'm so glad I didn't. I can't imagine ever supporting this piece of garbage series. Whenever I think of how popular it got I always wonder how that's possible when so many other great writers or great stories get completely overlooked for trash.

Pastel
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Pastel »

BOY do I hate these books. Not worth the paper they're printed on.

Everything seems to be ripped off from Twilight, obviously, as well as Pretty Woman and Gossip Girl - and god knows what else. Entire scenes are literally just lifted from other works, and I'm honestly so upset that this isn't addressed more. Reading the books, you can literally tell what EL James was watching on TV while writing specific parts. Two characters called Ryan and Reynolds, and another pair called Gaston and Philippe. Seriously?

Not to mention all the homophobia, sexism, and racism. EL James is not only a hack but an awful person.

Return to “Literature”