Favorite Authors and Books?

nothinggold
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Favorite Authors and Books?

Post by nothinggold »

What are your favorite authors and books? I love to read and I'd like to hear about other peoples favorites! And of course recommend my favorites out, too.

I really love Stephen King, Chuck Palahnuick, and Bret Easten Ellis as authors. My favorites from them are Under The Dome(sk), American Psycho(bee), and Little Monster(cp). I also really like Charaline Harris' Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Romance. Cheesy, but I love fantasy and she writes a great story.
Books wise, I just read and loved Riding Lessons and Flying Changes by Sarah Gruen. It's kinda a niche book, I'm into horses and used to ride competively so I identify somewhat with them. I also just read Looking For Alaska by John Green and I loved it as well. John Green sadly didn't wow me with An Abundance of Katherines, though, so anybody else have a recommendation from him? Both the books kinda were on the immature side for my liking, Katherines more so, but I'm willing to give others a shot. I also love humor reads, Chelsea Handler writes amazing books and White Girl Problems by Babe Walker knocked me on my ass laughing.

If anybody has any good post modern, horror, or comedy book recommendations please send them my way! Or tips on getting into the Game of Thrones novels, I just cant seem to. They've very difficult for me for some reason.
Share your favorites!

BornThisWay94

Re: Favorite Authors and Books?

Post by BornThisWay94 »

J.K. Rowling <3
Nicholas Sparks
Ellen Hopkins

Ellen Hopkins writes amazing books. Kind of hard to read since they're written in poetry form, but once you get past that, they're amazing and I simply cannot put them down. One of my favorites is this one:

That one's also her most famous one. Along with that one, Glass and Burned are AMAZINGGGG.

Laina
Talker
Talker

Post by Laina »

Ellen Hopkins is my favorite author by far. I own Crank, Glass, Tricks, Identical and Impulse by her. They are all amazing.
Of course I also love The Hunger Games trilogy and Divergent & Insurgent are amazing as well.
I also really enjoy the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick.

I'm currently reading The Silence of The Lambs. I bought all 3 books because I love the movies so much, but haven't finished them yet.

Kleineganz

Post by Kleineganz »

My favorite authors:
  • Edgar Rice Burroughs
  • Terry Brooks
  • J.R.R. Tolkien
  • Roger Zelazny
  • Carl Sagan
  • Richard Dawkins
  • Brian Greene
  • Stephen Hawking
  • H. Beam Piper
My favorite books:
  • Cosmos (Carl Sagan)
  • A Princess of Mars (Edgar Rice Burroughs)
  • Little Fuzzy (H. Beam Piper)
  • The God Delusion (Richard Dawkins)
  • The Elegant Universe (Brian Greene)
  • A Brief History of Time (Stephen Hawking)

paperbackwriter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by paperbackwriter »

nothinggold wrote:What are your favorite authors and books? I love to read and I'd like to hear about other peoples favorites! And of course recommend my favorites out, too.

I really love Stephen King, Chuck Palahnuick, and Bret Easten Ellis as authors. My favorites from them are Under The Dome(sk), American Psycho(bee), and Little Monster(cp). I also really like Charaline Harris' Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire Romance. Cheesy, but I love fantasy and she writes a great story.
Books wise, I just read and loved Riding Lessons and Flying Changes by Sarah Gruen. It's kinda a niche book, I'm into horses and used to ride competively so I identify somewhat with them. I also just read Looking For Alaska by John Green and I loved it as well. John Green sadly didn't wow me with An Abundance of Katherines, though, so anybody else have a recommendation from him? Both the books kinda were on the immature side for my liking, Katherines more so, but I'm willing to give others a shot. I also love humor reads, Chelsea Handler writes amazing books and White Girl Problems by Babe Walker knocked me on my ass laughing.

If anybody has any good post modern, horror, or comedy book recommendations please send them my way! Or tips on getting into the Game of Thrones novels, I just cant seem to. They've very difficult for me for some reason.
Share your favorites!
An Abundance of Katherines was good but not mind blowing. Paper Towns and The Fault in Our Stars are his best ones! So you can only go up from where you are.

Just glancing at my bookshelf, I love Kurt Vonnegut, Bryan Lee O'Malley (although those are graphic novels), Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson, Nicholson Baker, Youth in Revolt by CD Payne, John Green, Jasper Fforde, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Hobbit, All the King's Men by Robert Penn Warren, and as far as series go, A Series of Unfortunate Events is a longtime favorite, then Harry Potter, the Millenium trilogy, Thursday Next, the Chaos Walking trilogy, fun stuff.

I get a lot of books from the library and I'm blanking on most of those right now :P

BornThisWay94

Post by BornThisWay94 »

Laina wrote:Ellen Hopkins is my favorite author by far. I own Crank, Glass, Tricks, Identical and Impulse by her. They are all amazing.
Of course I also love The Hunger Games trilogy and Divergent & Insurgent are amazing as well.
I also really enjoy the Hush, Hush series by Becca Fitzpatrick.

I'm currently reading The Silence of The Lambs. I bought all 3 books because I love the movies so much, but haven't finished them yet.

Couldn't get through Identical. Too disturbing. But the rest you listed I have read before and I love them all!

azealiabanks
Debater
Debater

Post by azealiabanks »

Crash by JG Ballard
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
1984 by George Orwell
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde is probably my all time favorite author.

Fadia Fiji
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Fadia Fiji »

I don't read.
But I do have a thing for hot gay guys, and my friend wrote a pretty amazing story about them and it's the only thing I read.
Also, I got on Wattpad and read boyxboy stories there, too.
My BFF has one called "The Graveyard". It's a romantic horror story (and of course boyxboy). Been reading that but she's not posting very often... :/

I know what I just said isn't relative to the topic, but the only real book I've ever read and actually enjoyed is "The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer" and that's because I watched the movie... Idk, I felt left out..

BrunetteBarbie
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by BrunetteBarbie »

My favourite books

- The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Misery, Under the Dome and The Shining by Stephen King
- Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
- Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer
- The Host by Stephenie Meyer
- Devil Wears Prada (forgotten the author)
- To kill a mockingbird by Harper Lee
- A bend in the road, Dear John and Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks (I like all of his books really but those three are my favourites)
- House of night series by PC cast

I also like kind of guilty pleasure books like Gossip Girl and It Girl when I don't want something challenging. Oh and sometimes I read my old Clique and Baby Sitter Club books because apparently I am still twelve years old lol :mrgreen:

volleyball201211
Debater
Debater

Post by volleyball201211 »

VC Andrews... omg, love her books. so much.
Lauren Myracle, lolol. Guilty pleasure.
Laura L Smith has some pretty good books... kinda cheesy, but I really like them!
Hippie Boy by Ingrid Ricks is SUPER. AMAZING. I've read it 20 times or so. :P
Hunger Games
Harry Potter series

(I read stupid books. I know)
I LOVE CHEEZ-ITS. ESPECIALLY THE FOUR CHEESE ONES
Green Day is the best band in the world
GuruGossip is my reddit

Laina
Talker
Talker

Post by Laina »

I forgot about The Host by Stephenie Meyer. It's actually surprisingly good, considering it's from the same girl who wrote the Twilight series. Ugh.

hustle rose~
Informer
Informer

Post by hustle rose~ »

I love reading! My favorite genres are the Classics, YA, science fiction and fluffy chick lit. BUT NO NICHOLAS SPARKS.
I get a lot of good suggestions from www.foreveryoungadult.com

Im currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and The Ruby in the Smoke my Phillip Pullman.
volleyball201211 wrote:VC Andrews... omg, love her books. so much.
I used to be obssessed with VC Andrews when I was in high school. I read all her books up until the Gemini series, then lost interest. Have you read My Sweet Audrina?

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

* Angela's Ashes
* Memoirs of Geshia
* Shanghai Girls
* The Great Gatsby
* Just Listen
* The percy jackson series
* Harry Potter series
* Sylvia Plath
* The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

volleyball201211
Debater
Debater

hustle rose~ wrote:I love reading! My favorite genres are the Classics, YA, science fiction and fluffy chick lit. BUT NO NICHOLAS SPARKS.
I get a lot of good suggestions from http://www.foreveryoungadult.com

Im currently reading Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and The Ruby in the Smoke my Phillip Pullman.
volleyball201211 wrote:VC Andrews... omg, love her books. so much.
I used to be obssessed with VC Andrews when I was in high school. I read all her books up until the Gemini series, then lost interest. Have you read My Sweet Audrina?
I don't like the Gemini series or the Orphan series... they really just sucked... and no! I've been looking for it everywhere but I can't find it :| not even on amazon!
her ghost writer writes terrible books! he did fine with her series, but his own books were horrible, :P

eta: I've read the plot on Wikipedia, so i pretty much know what happens :P
GuruGossip is my reddit

hustle rose~
Informer
Informer

Post by hustle rose~ »

Bummer! Hope you can eventually find it. That book makes Flowers in the Attic look totally normal, haha.

volleyball201211
Debater
Debater

hustle rose~ wrote:Bummer! Hope you can eventually find it. That book makes Flowers in the Attic look totally normal, haha.
I found it!! :O and this is what I found on the wikipedia, hahaha. "It was the only standalone novel without incest published during Andrews' lifetime."
GuruGossip is my reddit

Diorette
Master Gossiper
Master Gossiper

Post by Diorette »

Dan Brown is amazing and Jane Austen.

Sonia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by Sonia »

Some of my absolute favorite books would be the Harry Potter series, The Legacy by R.A. Salvatore (also one of my favorite authors), The Stranger, and Crime & Punishment.

I also really enjoyed The Hunger Games, primarily the first and second in the series. Writers I love include Joyce Carol Oates, Chekhov, John Barth, Lorrie Moore, O. Henry, and Shakespeare (clearly I have a thing for short stories). Recently I've been getting into Douglas Adams. ;)

That's all that immediately comes to mind - I also like a lot of manga, but I don't read it much anymore.

l'appel du vide

Post by l'appel du vide »

azealiabanks wrote:Crash by JG Ballard
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
1984 by George Orwell
The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde

Oscar Wilde is probably my all time favorite author.
Lol. Funny - those books were the exact most-upvoted comments on the Reddit 'all-time favorite books' thread.
Quel interesting. <3

unconTROLLable
Learner
Learner

Post by unconTROLLable »

NIcholas Sparks! all his books are amazing except message in a bottle.

Return to “Literature”