Good SAT Prep books?

ASunnyDay
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Good SAT Prep books?

Post by ASunnyDay »

I'm currently a junior and I need to start studying for the SATs right away. I want something higher than a 2200. But anything higher than 2000 would be good too. I just really want to make it into my preferred college. I make all As, occasional Bs but my school isn't that challenging compared to what I hear from other students. I have looked into the books and it's just overwhelming haha I'm definitely going to get the Collegeboard Blue book and the Black book with sat strategies but idk what else would be really helpful. The higher the score the better :) thank you!

DebbyBam
Learner
Learner

Re: Good SAT Prep books?

Post by DebbyBam »

Meh. I already took mine, and will have to retake them again, but really just study. Most people have to take it twice. I didn't study and got 1310. :( Then again I also have shit grades. But, yeah.. just study and don't over think the questions. lol Good luck! :D

TheFosterKid
Gossiper
Gossiper

Post by TheFosterKid »

ASunnyDay wrote:I'm currently a junior and I need to start studying for the SATs right away. I want something higher than a 2200. But anything higher than 2000 would be good too. I just really want to make it into my preferred college. I make all As, occasional Bs but my school isn't that challenging compared to what I hear from other students. I have looked into the books and it's just overwhelming haha I'm definitely going to get the Collegeboard Blue book and the Black book with sat strategies but idk what else would be really helpful. The higher the score the better :) thank you!
Ha. You're so right. The blue CollegeBoard book is the best one. When I took the SAT as a junior, I probably used that book for like a week and ended up with a 1950. (I also did some vocabulary studying as well.) If you use that book diligently and for a longer period of time, I'm sure you'd do even better.

I also used the online SAT practice tests on CollegeBoard. I think you're school has to sign up for it in order for you to get it for free though.

For SAT vocabulary, I recommend the SAT Vocab app which helped me A LOT. And the words on the app were actually on the SAT.

pandaaa
Informer
Informer

Post by pandaaa »

i got a 2210. 11 on the essay.

i went thru many workbooks but i recommend the collegeboard book and kaplan test books. i felt like princeton and barron ones werent as similar to the actual sat.
it is all about critical thinking, so i read lots of times magazine and new york times articles to analyze them. i memorized vocabs as well...

good luck!!

kittykat

Post by kittykat »

I thought Up Your Score: The Underground Guide to the SAT was pretty good. It's not practice questions if I remember correctly, but it was interesting and had some good tips. I did much better on the ACT though, which I spent almost no time preparing for. Go figure!

*Please bear in mind that I took the SAT about 5 years ago and the new version of this book may not be as good as I'm remembering lol.

kpgirl
Informer
Informer

Post by kpgirl »

I'm a junior too! I took Intensive English and Math classes (also known as ACT/SAT classes) over the summer. They gave us the standard SAT/ACT book (i believe the prep something guide or college board). Anyway, my school is pretty strict on grades (like 90% is a B and 96% is a A- ). I found the SAT much easier than the ACT. While taking the classes over summer, I got on the practice test for both the ACT and SAT are - 26 act and 1900 for sat (its because I haven't taken geometry). If I was you I would go to act/sat classes, they help a lot and take a couple practice tests.

Return to “Education”