Boyfriend doesn't want to go to college.

KimiSoYeah
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boyfriend doesn't want to go to college.

Post by KimiSoYeah »

You're both so young. Too young to be thinking about getting married. It's completely normal for a 21 year old to not know what he/she wants to do their life.
ImageImageImage

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

I'm 21 and I have no idea what I want to do with my life. Fuck off.
Don't push him into a field he doesn't like because he won't do well in his education in or finish and may resent the work or you for pushing him. If he is working full time, I would not write him off as a deadbeat but I also would not marry him.
If his life choices upset you so much, you probably need to reevaluate your relationship.

Forever Eccentric
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Post by Forever Eccentric »

Don't push him to attend college but, motivate him. He's young and not everyone knows what they want to do. Just don't act really aggressive towards any of his choices because, that can really harm your relationship

nothinggold
Informer
Informer

Post by nothinggold »

Peljux wrote:No need to tell me to fuck off. :) be nice! :)

I am not pushing him to any field. Is it wrong I worry about his future? I don't want him to just work at some random job and struggle in the end if his mom ends up kicking him out.
I don't have to be nice.
He will go eventually if he wants to. That is my plan. College is expensive, especially in the US, and I'm not going to go jump into $50k worth of debt for a degree I don't want. Would you rather he be in a great amount of debt? If he doesn't want to, it's really not your concern. It's his life and if it's not going to fit in with your life, you need to evaluate the relationship. A lot of people work "random jobs" in the US with bachelor's degrees and struggle because of the debt they have. Degree doesn't just equal career anymore these days. Especially if his heart isn't really into whatever field he goes into, he will struggle more.
I think you're much to under the impression that you have to have a college education or you fail in life. I'm not getting rich at my job but I'm living comfortably and not struggling by any means. It works for now.

kthanks
Learner
Learner

Post by kthanks »

I think this is a huge problem these days. People expect you to graduate at 18 and already know what you want to do with your life, which is what causes those same people in their mid-thirties wondering what happened with their lives and realizing that they're not happy in the fields they are in. (Not saying it happens to everyone, but it happens a lot in this day and age).

He's only 21 years old. It's alright if he doesn't have it all figured out yet. So you either need to accept that he may not change or move on.

milly
Talker
Talker

Post by milly »

It's normal for a young person to not know what they want in life. With the cost of a higher education getting more expensive every year due to the economy, it can definitely add to the anxiety. I don't know how things work abroad, but in the US the public education system doesn't encourage kids to pursue careers outside the be-a-doctor-and-make-great-money type of careers. Even then, the system here only provides a very basic education that really isn't worth anything and doesn't actually prepare you for a higher education (there are tougher courses, but many kids don't know about them, don't want to take them, or aren't told that it will help them get into a good school). Unless you're gifted enough or have the money to be a part of a special program or school, once you finish high school you're basically pushed out into the world not knowing anything. I'm not saying the schools systems are an excuse or that this happens to everyone, but I can understand why someone would feel unsure of themselves if they've never been properly guided or encouraged in life.

Now here's another thing. You're both young and just starting your lives as adults. I'm not going to lecture you and tell you you're too young to get married, but I will tell you that most relationships end after high school precisely because you end up pursuing different goals. Your lifestyles and interests will definitely change as you get older and if you get married now, nobody can guarantee you that you'll be happily married forever. Your boyfriend does seem to have fantasies of living a fairytale life. But the truth is that by getting married, he isn't going to escape his life that he has now (I get the feeling that escape is really what he wants and what he thinks he'll get, even if he doesn't know it) and it most definitely won't make life any easier for him especially because he'll be living on a different continent with no special skills or education necessary to get a good job. It's hard enough for people like him to get jobs here, but out there he WILL struggle badly and even worse, he won't have anyone to turn to if things don't work out with you. Marrying someone he doesn't know that well (knowing someone online is NOT the same as knowing them in person and especially living with them), moving abroad with little to no money, and not having an education that can lead him to a good job and financial security is just a huge recipe for major disaster. You need to bring him back down to earth with a reality check. If he can't make it on his own in a country familiar to him, how does he expect to have a better life abroad most especially when he doesn't have a solid plan or a clue as to what he's setting himself up for? I hate to say it, but as an MUA, you will probably struggle for a while too, and you won't make enough to support a husband (and maybe kids) that is living in the clouds, that would get old pretty quick and put a major strain in your relationship.

By not saying anything while knowing that his plan isn't a good one you're just encouraging him to mess up his life. And even worse, if he moves and marries you, he is going to be putting a dent in yours too. If you don't want to end your relationship, maybe an ultimatum would be the best thing. I'm NOT telling you to break up or to do what I say, but you really need to think this situation through and be honest with him and with yourself. Be rational and don't let your emotions get in the way, be selfish with your decision because it's really your life that you'll be affecting. Remember that as an adult, you won't always have parents to fall back on when things don't go well. If you decide to give him an ultimatum, tell him that before making plans with you, he needs to find out what his goals are for his own future and how he plans on getting there successfully. Tell him that he doesn't need to commit to 2+ years of school. There are more than plenty of schools he can attend that have 12-month long programs that will provide him with the skills necessary to secure a job and make a comfortable living. The medical field is a secure field to work in and many of these schools provide training for low but decent positions. Even if he goes to one of these types of schools, reassure him that if he ends up not liking his chosen field, it doesn't mean he'll have to work in it forever. Lots of middle-aged people go back to school to pursue different careers, nothing has to be permanent but he does need a plan if he's already thinking of marriage - what if you can't find work, you get hurt, or you have a child (kids are expensive!!) and he isn't able to financially support you until you can get work? If he decides to go to school, it would also be best if he stayed here longer to get work experience and save money so that he doesn't get to start his life abroad and with you badly.

Don't feel bad if things don't work out, you will be okay. You're young and just starting to live your life. Your youth is temporary but you have the rest of your life to settle down and once you make that decision, your life will change greatly. Really think things through. I wish you the best with your situation, and whatever decision you make, I genuinely hope all goes well you.
:FU:

Return to “Education”